How to sharpen a chain of electric saws with a corner grinder. How to understand that a chain of a chainsaw is dull…
Sharpening of chains for chainsaws with your own hands: a set of files, on an electric machine, corner grinder, special equipment
Chainsaw is an important tool for the owner of a country house. The construction of wooden structures, cutting trees or a harvesting of firewood is simply impossible without a modern tool, which significantly increases the performance of the working process.
Why is the sharpening of the chain for the chainsaw?
However, the chainsaw should be acute, since the dull tool chain leads to the following consequences:
- Reducing the efficiency of wood cutting. Instead of several trees, a dull chain of a chainsaw will cut only 1 for the same time period.
- Increased load on the chainsaw mechanism. The leading star and tire wear out faster.
- Fuel consumption increases. The culled chain requires more effort to cut wood.
- Slices are uneven with a bunch of Zazubin.
The technology of sharpening the chain with a file
To sharpen the chain, you need to remove it from the saw, which, in turn, is installed on a flat surface. The tension should be maximum. The saw should be put on the brake. To do this, turn the lock lever. The chain is preliminarily examined for detecting defects that can be expressed in fragments, cracks, chips. Performing the sharpening of the chain of the chainsaw, take into account the main technological features:
- The teeth are pulled from the inside out;
- The degree of sharpening is determined by special marks made by the manufacturer;
- Sharpening tooth is located in the middle.
Attention! Be sure to put protective gloves on your hands so as not to cut on sharp chain teeth.
To simplify the process, use special devices for sharpening chains of chainsaws in the form of holders, with which the depth of placement of the limiter and the angle of sharpening are determined. The correct machine is fixed on the tire with clamps and set the guides at an angle, through which the degree of sharpening is clarified. A tooth exposed to sharpening must also be fixed with an emphasis on the top of which the file is placed.
Sharpet technique with files source www.MSCA.Fr
No matter what additional tools you use, first drag the edges, and then equalize the depth limiters. It is required to carefully approach the formation of the difference in the height between the plane of the limiter and the edge.
Step.by.step instructions for sharpening a saw with a file
- sawing a saw;
- installation of the holder taking into account the indications of the scale;
- The angle of sharpening of the chain of the chainsaw is specified, by elevation above the tip of the holder by 1/5;
- The minimum sharpening size is determined by the stupid tooth itself;
- Start the procedure with a round file, smoothly performing movements from yourself. 2. 3 times for each tooth.
Attention! The file periodically turns over, which will avoid its uneven grown.
Sharpening techniques with a file GLAV-Dachsource.ru see also: catalog of house projects for a narrow site
The teeth must be sharpened on both sides, turning the chain as the operation is completed. It is recommended to set the template for the limiter, placing the index part between the teeth. The ledge over the template is flowing with a flat file.
How to determine the angle of tooth?
When buying a chainsaw, it is necessary to purchase a special template, which allows you to check and tighten the teeth of the saw chain at the required angle. The templates are sold separately and are supplied with a chainsaw. With it, you can control the values of the rear angles at the upper and final scapula, as well as the front edge of the edge of the tooth. Aliexpress
Visually determined and corrected the angle is extremely not recommended, since different sharpening of the teeth will lead to the rapid wear of the chain and saw mechanisms.
The determination of the rear angle of the upper blade using the template is very important, since the range of this angle varies from 50 ° to 60 °, and any deviation is fraught with an increase in wear.
In order to measure the angle of sharpening, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Set perpendicular in relation to the surface of the chain or flat surface of the tooth edge.
- Set a template in relation to the tooth.
- Install a round file in a template and check the closing.
- If there are deviations of the tooth from the template, then the angle does not correspond to the sharpening parameters and it must be straightened.
It is impractical to determine the angle using measuring devices, since the measurement methods without a template have a high error, which will affect the quality of the cut and operational characteristics of the chainsaw.
To properly sharpen the chain at home, you need to know and follow several simple rules:
- You can save the angle of sharpening of the cutting part of the electric saw only with the help of a device or machine;
- When dragging a file, the number of its movements along the cutting edge should be the same for the entire cutting part;
- The file is used only for editing (sharpening not very blunt cutting elements);
- The speed of rotation of the disk of the sharpening machine should be minimal (ideally-0.5-1.0 thousand. rpm);
- The file moves only forward;
- When stuck to the length of most teeth, more than 90 %, the cutting element is disposed of;
- If the chain tooth is more than 50 %, the height of the feed limiter can be hidden by 0.5 mm, until this moment the supply limiter cannot be grinded.
The last two points require a little clarification. When stuck to the length of the tooth is more than 90 %, the risk of its break during operation is great. If this happens, the operator will feel a strong jerk forward, which can lead to his fall on a working saw. The same thing can happen when the height of the feed limiter is stuck. the tooth will crash into the tree very deep, the chip will not occur and the saw pulls forward.
Sharping algorithm of the teeth of the chain
To sharpen the electric saw chain with an ordinary file with your own hands, you need to perform a simple methodology.
- Put on the cutting part on the electric saw in the working position, fix the clip.
- With slots made in the side walls, the device is put on the tire, thereby setting the angle of sharpening.
- The file is inserted into special holes so that it tightly adjacent to the hidden edge, which will allow you to properly sharpen the electric saw chain
- The sharpener makes 1-2 movements in the direction of “from yourself”.
- The cutting of the cutting element is weakened, it moves along the bus “to itself”, according to the principle “through the tooth”.
- The file is inserted again into the holes, the movements are repeated in the same amount.
The procedure is repeated until all the teeth of one side are sharpened. Then the device is rearranged on the opposite side, and the technique is repeated for the other side.
The sharpening procedure for the cutting part of the electric saw on the machine at home is not very different from the sharpening methodology with a regular file.
- The cutting element is fixed in a special guide machine imitating the saw tire.
- The machine is included in the network and the engine mounted in a movable sharpening carriage begins to rotate.
- Holding the movable carriage by a special handle, the sharpener lowers the carriage down.
- The rotating stack of the machine, mounted on the engine shaft, is pressed to the cutting edge, pulling it.
- The carriage rises up the operator up, the mounting of the cutting element is weakened, it is scrollful in the guide according to the same principle “through the tooth”.
In order to completely sharpen the cutting element of the electric saw with your own hands on the machine, it is necessary, as well as with manual operation, to tighten the entire cutting part with the same number of touches of the disk of the lined edge (1-2 times).
The method of wiping the cutting part of the electric saw with a corner grinder popular in our time is the most dangerous and difficult way. The danger of the method lies not only that the disk of corner grinder can burst and, scattering into fragments, injure not only the operator, but also other people who are nearby. The speed of rotation of the disk of the corner grinder is very high (up to 10 thousand. About \ min.), so they need to touch the tooth very quickly, literally instantly. The slightest delay will lead to instant tooth overheating, the color of the runner will appear on it, which indicates the “vacation” of steel and its transformation into plasticine. The cutting part will have to be thrown away.
Another “underwater stone” in working with a corner grinder may be its weight. Professional and semi.professional tools are very difficult, and it is easy for them to “go further” by damaging the base of the tooth. Then he will quickly break, and he can not only break off the top. he can burst in the middle, thereby breaking away the cutting part. Such a cutting element can be repaired by applying the reprimatum complex, but this is already additional and at all the necessary costs. Therefore, only a specialist who knows how to work with a corner grinder can sharply sharpen the cutting part of the electric saw.
DIY sharpening methods
With constant use of a saw, it is stupid to carry it for sharpening constantly. It’s easier to learn to hide the teeth with your own hands. There are several ways for this: you can sharpen manually, a file or corner grinder. In addition, the chain can be removed from the tire or not. Next, consider all these methods.
The main advantage of this method is its economy. The file itself is inexpensive and does not require additional resources for its operation, for example, gasoline or electricity. It is important to take into account that the diameter of the file should accurately correspond to the width of the chain, otherwise it will not work to sharpen it normally. It is necessary to prepare four main tools. a round file, a flat file, a cut hook and a template for a depth limiter template.
To work correctly. certain rules must be observed:
- Before sharpening, the chain must be degreased and cleaned of oil, sawdust and other garbage
- Work should be carried out on a flat hard surface so that there are no other items under hand that may interfere
- so that the chain does not “walk”, the tire needs to be squeezed in a vice. This will work out each link
- The file is applied to the surface at an angle, all movements are made slowly and smoothly
All movements should be neat and smooth. Each tooth is sharpened at the same angle so as not to spoil the metal on the chain. At each link, the same number of movements must be carried out so that the height of all the teeth remains the same. The fact is that they grind with each sharpening and over time you have to change the chain.
Many use the method of sharpening with a file, and not a corner grinder, so as not to damage the teeth. To use this tool, you need experience, a beginner is not recommended to trust this business, since you can damage the cutting elements.
Sharpening of the chain for the chainsaw corner grinding
Different techniques are used to sharpen a corner grinder. In the first option, the chain is not removed from the saw. The main thing is to choose a suitable disk for a corner grinder so as not to damage the metal metal. It is not recommended to use a new disk for corner grinding, it should be slightly stood and have rounded soft edges. The angle of sharpening is selected individually, the main thing is that the saw is in a stationary state.
The second method involves removing the chain. The corner grinder is installed in a motionless state, and the master works exclusively with a chain, bringing one link to the corner grinder and pulling the teeth at a certain angle.
Not all chains can be sharpened with a corner grinder or a file this is due to its quality. If the chain is already quite stretched, it is better to use a manual machine, with which neat sharpening is carried out. Machines are manual and electric, stationary and mobile, which are installed directly on the bus. Consider the algorithm of actions:
- First of all, you need to “let go” the screw responsible for tensioning the chain
- After that, you need to install the chain so that the teeth are located at a certain angle to the hilly stone
- Sharpowing is carried out in several ways: in the first version, the right and left teeth are sharpened synchronously, and in the second, first the sharpening of each second teeth is sharpened, for example, first the right, and then the left
How to start a saw without a starter
Regardless of the type of chainsaw and its manufacturer, all starters are arranged in almost one scheme. To quickly start the tool, you must sharply pull the starter handle, creating a spark for adhesion. Many are interested in how to start a chainsaw without a starter. Theoretically, this is impossible, since there are no alternative options and other ways of starting. But the “people’s craftsmen” were able to get out of the situation with a broken starter.
Starting a chainsaw without a starter
To start the saw, you need to sharply pull the handle, a cable that turns the drum is pulled out behind it. That is, to start starting this drum. The issue is resolved using a conventional electric drill or electric screwdriver. So:
- A chainsaw is installed on a working flat surface
- The upper cover from the starter is removed so that there is admission to the drum
- In the middle of the drum there is a bolt
- It is necessary to install the head of the corresponding size on the drill and crank the drum artificially
In this way, you can start a chainsaw of any manufacturer in a fraction of a second. The main thing is to follow the safety rules so that when starting a chainsaw does not fall, does not slip and does not hurt anyone.
Manual sharpening tools and their purpose
Before starting work, you should prepare the corresponding list of tools. For manual sharpening, files are used, which are configured along with a chainsaw. As a rule, the tool comes with two files that differ in shape:
- A round file is designed to process the main edge with its subsequent rounding. For such work, tools are selected, the diameter of which is from 3.2 to 5.5 mm. It is important to use these files that have the same diameter along the entire length, and their notches remove the chips in only one direction (it is better to choose such files in specialized stores);
- Flat files serve in order to sharpen the depth limiters. It depends on these limiters how much the equipment will enter the structure of the wood.
HOW TO SHARPEN A CHAINSAW CHAIN.
Regarding the choice of a file of the corresponding diameter for the circuit: it is important to pay special attention to this factor. The diameter of the device is selected depending on the size of the tooth, and choosing at random is not correct. When buying branded products, you will find the corresponding values of the diameters of the files on the package for them.
Get these two types of files if you want to learn how to tighten the chains correctly. It is important to note that by manually sharpening is carried out much more often than machine. This is due to the fact that with this approach a smaller layer of metal is removed, which is ultimately reflected on the resource of equipment.
It is interesting! Masters mistakenly use files that are included for constant sharpening circuits. However, they also have their own service life, and is recommended regularly depending on the frequency of their operation to change.
How to sharpen a chain on a chainsaw manually with a file without additional devices: step.by.step instructions
First you need to prepare the tool for this procedure. To do this, it is important to place a chainsaw (or electric saw) on a flat surface, and block the movement of the chain using a brake lever. It is not necessary to remove the chain from the tool (but you can), since this will only reduce the convenience of the procedure. If you prefer to sharpen not on the tool, then a vice is necessarily used to help. In the grip, the chain should not be clamped not completely, but only the tail.
Before carrying out the direct procedure of working as a file, you should resort to compliance with the following recommendations:
- The movements of the file must be made from the inside out. In other words, the removal of the metal layer should occur when the sharpening device is moving from the base to the edge, that is, from the rear to the front.
- Actions are carried out through one tooth. First you need to walk along the chain, and sharpen the teeth, which are directed in one direction. left, and then in the other. right.
- Before starting work, make a tooth mark from which sharpening begins. Use chalk or marker.
- The tooth from which the process begins should be located in the middle of the tire.
- The angle or degree of sharpening is selected depending on the circuit. Typically, manufacturers indicate it using risks on the upper part.
- Initially, sharpening provides for the performance of work with a round file, and only at the end of the flat.
Work is recommended to be performed in gloves, otherwise there is a risk of cutting the sharp edges of the links of the chain, when it is moved along the bus to sharpen subsequent teeth. Having prepared for the procedure, you can proceed:
- To exclude the likelihood of moving the chainsaws relative to the surface on which it is located (in other words, so that it does not slip), you can fix its tire in a vice, provided they are available (in the field, of course, you will not use them).
- The angle of sharpening is specified, which affects what degree relative to the vertical and horizontal you need to hold a round file. Usually this angle varies between 30-35 degrees.
- The file should rise above the tooth of about 1/5. Below in the photo shows.
- Then simple movements are made. When moving the file forward, it is necessary to press it to the edge of the tooth, removing the layer of metal. The reverse movement is carried out without pressing.
- The file should be held with two hands from two ends.
- Similarly, the corresponding number of times by the file is repeated until the edge of the first tooth becomes acute. The number of movements of the file should be considered, and in the future focus on this value for subsequent links.
- The efforts for each tooth should be the same.
- Below in the photo the values of the angles of sharpening are presented depending on the method of sawing wood. For a standard transverse saw, its value should be 30 degrees, and for a longitudinal 10 degrees.
- After sharpening the edge of the teeth of the chain chain is sharpened, you will need to check the value of the cut depth limiter, and adjust it.
- The cut depth limiter shows how many wood captures the tooth when sawing. It follows that the smaller the limiter relative to the upper edge of the tooth, the greater the capture of the wood, and, accordingly, the speed and performance of the tool. However, it is important to consider the fact that the limiter is too worn to an increased load on the engine engine. Its value in relation to the upper edge should be less than 0.63 mm. He grinds with a flat file.
- It is necessary to control the tooth responsible for the depth of cut, since when sharpening the cutting edge, its size decreases. This leads to the fact that the difference between the distance between the depth of the cut and the saw tooth decreases, which means that the chain captures less than the wood. As a result, the efficiency of the tool falls, and the result of such work is not comforting. Fuel consumption increases and the speed of work is reduced.
- If necessary, the upper edge of the saw tooth in the presence of bullets and chips on it also grows down with a flat file.
This is where the process of manual sharpening of the chain of the chainsaw or electric saw can be considered complete. The procedure is considered above, which provides for the use of the minimum number of auxiliary tools. You can also resort to the use of special templates, holders and other devices, which will increase not only accuracy, but also quality. However, whether these devices are needed, decide on your own. The above instruction is especially appropriate for field conditions.
It is interesting! The procedure for sharpening the circuit manually takes about 10-15 minutes. After the successful implementation of the process, the efficiency and productivity of labor increases. That is why, having devoted only 15 minutes of time, you can increase the speed of the roll of trees.
Often, many sawmills do not know when to replace the chain. This can be determined using a resource mark, which is presented on the cut limiter. Upon reaching this mark, the chain cannot be sharpened, and it should be replaced.
The advantage of the manual method of sharpening the chain is obvious. the simplicity and the possibility of performing the procedure in the field. There are also disadvantages:
- low speed;
- the cost of physical efforts;
- the importance and strict control of the sharpening of each tooth;
- the need for periodic replacement of files.
However, in any case, manual sharpening is the most not only correct, but also an effective option, although not in all cases fair to implementation.
Sharpening angles and configuration of the tooth of the chainsaw
The teeth of the chain chain chainship have the following characteristics:
- The angle of sharpening for longitudinal sawing should be in the range of 6-12 °, and from 25 ° to 30 °-with the predominance of the transverse saw.
- Chain profile height: professional models have a high profile of 0.762 mm, and household saws. 0.625 mm.
- The shape of the teeth of the chain can be rounded, semi.like.shaped, chisel.shaped and with solid alloy plates.
- The thickness of the drive links. this parameter is the same for most household chainsaws, and has a value of 1.27 mm. There are edges of 1.1 mm thick on low.power saws, which are suitable only for sawing branches. Thicker shanks (1.5 mm, 1.6 mm, 2 mm) are characteristic of semi.professional and professional saws.
- Step of teeth is the distance between the connecting elements of the chain. It matters, which depends on the power and torque of the tool engine. the higher these parameters, the greater the step: 1/4 ″ (6.35 mm), 0.325 ″ (8.25 mm), 3/8 ″ (9.53 mm), 0.404 ″ (10.26 mm), 3/4 ″ (19.05 mm).
Sharbian for sharpening the chain of the chain
In order to properly sharpen the chain at home, it is recommended to use a special template to set the desired angle of sharpening of teeth. It allows you to control the degree of the front edge (65-80 °), as well as the rear angles of the upper (50-60 °) and the end cutting boundary.
In order to find out the angle of sharpening by the template, you need to look at the value between the upper end of the tooth and the line perpendicular to the guide chain of the chainsaw. As mentioned earlier, this angle should be in the range of 6-12 ° for longitudinal sawing, and 25-30 °-for the transverse. The harder and denser than the tree of the tree, the less the angle of sharpening should be maintained. When working with particularly dense wood, you need to sharpen the chain as often and thoroughly as possible, because a critically small angle of inclination of the teeth contributes to the rapid wear of the chain (especially if it is made of steel alloy containing manganese or silicon).
The specificity of the teeth of the chainsaw
The teeth of the saw have its own specifics, therefore, in order to understand which part of the teeth is subject to sharpening, you need to know how the process of cutting wood is arranged. In fact, this process can be compared with a ruban.
The cutting link of the teeth is arranged as follows:
During the manual sharpening procedure, it is necessary to monitor such parameters as, the angle of sharpening and the level of height of the limiter. These parameters should remain close to those declared by the manufacturer. Proper sharpening guarantees the work of the tool at the proper level.
It is not recommended to grind the links too much or change their order. The correct location is responsible for the good operation of the tool, otherwise there is a chance of increasing the load on the body and engine of the device. There is a probability in the rupture of the links, as well as a guarantee of a crooked cut.
The main thing to pay attention to, performing the process at home and with your own hands is the following: the higher the angle value, the stronger the performance of the saw increases. Therefore, the process of bringing a saw to working condition is necessary at an acute angle in the gap from 25 to 35 degrees. The exceptions include cases when it is necessary to perform a longitudinal cut, then the angle is 10 degrees.
Possible ways to hide the chain
Sharpowing method using a file
The most affordable, but quite long way to return the chainsaw to the working condition is the file. To pick up a round file, you should know the size of the chain.
To sharpen the limiter itself, resort to the use of a flat file. In the event that you are going to produce this process for the first time, it is better to lighten your skills on cheap copies.
- First you need to turn on the chain brake, and then fix the saw tire in a vice;
- Attach the sharpening template so that the arrow indicates the nose of the tire;
- make a note with which of the teeth the process began;
- Perform the process following the signs. Please note that there are factory notches on the teeth, which indicate which angle of sharpening is the most acceptable;
- Limiters do not always focus, this is done as necessary.
To understand whether you need to work with a limiter, focus on the height of the teeth, if it has decreased, then the limiter will have to be sharpened.
What parameters are required to take into account for sharpening the chain of the chainsaw with a file:
- Pressure during the entire process should be monitored, since the force applied during this should be the same.
- The file should not go beyond the part of the cutting edge more than 1/5 of its working surface.
- An equal number of movements for each of the links of the chain is necessary.
- Movement when sharpening must be performed in the same direction.
- With teeth having a different height, it is necessary to focus on the one that is below all.
- requires time and application of physical activity;
- This method is not always useful, when changing the shape of the cutting edge, the chain, thus, cannot be fixed.
Sharpet method using electric machines
It is not always possible to use a tool with a template. There are situations when it is necessary to use the machine. They are of two types:
The machines have special functions that make it possible to arrange a chain at the required angle. Such a machine is quite simple for use and allows you to correctly adjust all circuit indicators. From the parameters of one tooth, it takes from 2 to 3 movements. To work with the limiter, you need to change the file to a flat.
Sharpening method using corner grinder
A way to restore the performance of the chainsaw using a corner grinder, it is better not to carry out a beginner, since there is a significant risk for damage to the tire. Professionals can apply this method, in the case when circumstances require quickly returning the tool to work capacity.
During the process, the chain is not removed from the chainsaw. A suitable disk is selected for corner grinder so that during sharpening, not to damage the teeth. It is not recommended to use new discs, it will be better if it is slightly worn and have soft edges.
The angle for work is selected purely individually. The main condition is that the chainsaw should be in a stationary position. To do this, it must be fixed.
Before starting work, you need to run the chain. To do this, you should start a chainsaw at low speeds and let it work out for about a minute. During this time, the required amount of lubrication will fall for each tooth.
It is also necessary to adjust the tension in the chain. This should be done only after it has cooled. During operation, monitor the tension state in the chain. After all, when ignoring this fact, you can get an injury.
Carefully monitor the state of the severity of the chainsaw. Perform timely sharpening. It is recommended to use a machine for these purposes, since this is the safest and fastest way to return the chainsaw to the state suitable for work.
Perform regular lubrication of the tire and chain. If the tool has an insufficient amount of lubricant, the chain can easily fly at high speed. This will lead to unpleasant consequences.
Exercise control over the depth of cut. Use only high.quality and proven oil for refueling a chainsaw.
What mistakes are newcomers make
There are several characteristic errors that the tochigliers make beginners.
To avoid them, several rules should be followed:
- For each hidden tooth, the same number of movements of the tool should be made;
- Always apply the same possible effort to prevent uneven sharpening;
- If the chain is very dull, then the use of the file is already pointless;
- For strongly worn tools, the only option would be an electric machine;
- The angle of sharpening is selected based on the direction of the chainsaw will be sawn the material.
This knowledge will help not to make unnecessary mistakes, as well as on their own to support the chainsaw in optimal working condition.
You once sharpened the chainsaw yourself? What was used for this? How high.quality the result turned out?
We are waiting for your answers and stories from personal experience.
Subscribe, leave a comment, ask a question and tell your friends about us!
The need to sharpen the motor.rope circuit
Working with poorly sharpened chainsaw requires additional physical efforts, while the tool itself is also subjected to serious overload. This is fraught with a breakdown of the motor, the repair of which is quite expensive.
No Nonsense Guide to Chainsaw Sharpening. How To Sharpen A Chainsaw Properly. FarmCraft101
All the owners of the chainsaws are faced with the need to sharpen the chain. This problem can be solved by seeking help in the workshop or by performing sharpening on its own. The first method is more expensive, moreover, it is not always possible to quickly get to the workshop. The second method requires the owner of the chainsaw of certain skills in handling tools, as well as additional efforts. In general, the process of sharpening the motor.rope chain is not particularly difficult, so almost any person can cope with it if there is a desire and necessary devices.
You can increase the life if you alternate manual sharpening using a special machine. The latter allows you to level the angles of sharpening on the machine as accurately as possible. The depth of stagnation should not be big.
It is necessary to observe safety measures that allow the cut of wood of any size with maximum efficiency and with a minimum level of danger to humans:
- Before assembling a chain tool and installing a headset, it is recommended to get acquainted with the rules of use. This is due to the fact that each tool has its own characteristics.
- It is necessary to perform work using a saw in mittens and goggles.
- For work, it is recommended to choose adjacent clothes made of natural dense materials and the most reliable shoes.
- It is necessary to carry out a wood cut using a chainsaw in a stable and safe position, while the material itself must also be placed as steady as possible. Sustainability will help to install gear stops on a log.
- During operation, the saw must be held with both hands, constantly monitor the process of cutting.
Modern chainsaws are used in household and in industrial conditions. At the same time, it is important to maintain the performance and high indicators of the effectiveness of the tool, which directly depend on the condition of the sharpened chain headset.