How To Start A Lawn Mower
How to start a gasoline lawn mower: disassemble in detail
How do I start the lawn mower? Pull the cord! Okay, we agree. Sometimes this is not enough. Considering that some lawn mowers start.
It often happens that users of this kind of machines try to save it by filling the tank with not fuel with the usual octane number, but something incomprehensible that has been in a plastic canister for almost a dozen years.
- Always clean your lawn mower after work. Dried grass can stick firmly to it. It also smells bad when it starts to rot. Therefore, as soon as you are done mowing, clear the mower of any grass.
- Never leave the mower over the winter with gasoline in the tank. During storage, it can thicken and clog the carburetor.
- Never run your mower without proper lubrication, unless you love buying a new mower every time.
The main thing is the fuel mixture!
In this case, the remnants of plastic dissolved in a brutal environment create such terrible things in the combustion chamber that you will definitely not be able to do without completely overhauling the mechanism. Petrol self-propelled lawn mowers choice. But you will certainly remember forever how to store fuel correctly.
What can you do when the fuel was just normal, there is a spark, but the petrol trimmer won’t start? It may be that you just filled the candle with gasoline. In this case, it must be unscrewed, wiped with a clean cloth and dried. Reliable electronic braid trimmers. By the way, it will be completely useful to check the candle itself for performance.
How to start a gasoline lawn mower: disassemble in detail
How do I start the lawn mower? Pull the cord! Okay, we agree. Sometimes this is not enough. Given that some lawn mowers start differently depending on the model, this article will give you some general tips. Continue reading!
Refuel the mower with petrol and check the oil level. You may have forgotten to do this. It happens to everyone. But if there is no oil and gasoline in it, then you can pull on the cord even all day, and you will achieve nothing but muscle pain and the chance that your children will learn from you not very good words.
- Open the fuel tank cap and look into it. Refuel the mower to the recommended level if necessary. There should be a label in the tank to tell you to what level you need to fill the tank, but if not, fill it up to the neck. Do not overfill the tank.
- Be sure to check the oil level. If there is not enough oil, you can easily ruin the engine. The oil is usually poured through a cap on the top of the mower body, which has oil written on it or an oil can. Just like a car, your mower may have a special dipstick that you can use to check the engine oil level.
- Please note that some mowers (mainly with a two-stroke engine) use a fuel / oil mixture. If so, read the owner’s manual carefully before refueling the mower.
Bleed the fuel pump! Find a soft cap, usually red or black, near the spark plug. Click on it 3-4 times to fill the carburetor with gasoline. Just do not overdo it and do not flood the engine.
- But not all mowers have such a pump. In this case, you will need to open the throttle fully.
Check the candle. The spark plug should be near the engine and have a rubber cap. It generates a spark to start the engine, so make sure the cap fits snugly.
Open the throttle. Shift the throttle lever to the middle or to the full last position. Otherwise, the engine will not receive enough fuel to operate.
Be careful when starting the engine. Most new mowers now come with a safety switch that must be held down when starting. If your mower does not have such a switch, make sure it is stable on the ground.
Pull the cord firmly! Place one hand on the mower body, and with the other grasp the cord and pull it up sharply. You may need to do this several times before the engine starts.
- If the engine sneezes but won’t start, check to see if there is enough gas in the tank.
- If the engine won’t sneeze or start, check the spark plug.
Read the mower’s operating instructions. If the windrower still won’t start, read the instructions in the troubleshooting section. It is quite possible that there will be an answer to your question.
Reasons why the lawnmower may not start
The petrol lawn mower may not start for the following reasons:
- First, before starting the engine, you need to check the fuel in the tank. A small amount of it will create an airy system, but it is also impossible to fill the tank full to the brim. When refueling, you must adhere to the label for the highest fuel level. If the mower is leaving for winter storage, the fuel must be drained because gasoline tends to evaporate. Refueling is done using a funnel. Until the spilled gasoline dries out on the parts of the mower, the engine must not be started, in order to avoid the ignition of combustible water.
- Often, the engine of a lawn mower does not start due to the fact that the user does not know how to do it correctly wind up. Before starting, the lever is set to maximum speed, and then gasoline is pumped into the carburetor with a primer. The starter cord is gently pulled slightly towards itself, and then pulled sharply.
- After failed attempts to start the engine, you can try changing the spark plug. Often the reason lies precisely in it. If you do not have a spare candle at hand, and the old one is covered with heavy carbon, it must be cleaned with fine-grained sandpaper.
- A clogged air filter leads to the preparation of a poor-quality fuel mixture, and the engine starts to stall or does not start at all. Correct the problem by easily washing the removed filter in clean gasoline and then air-drying it. The air filters must be flushed every 25 hours of operation, even if the mower does not stall.
- Immediately after starting, the engine can stall due to a seized piston or crankshaft. Having unscrewed the spark plug with the starter cord, it is necessary to bleed the engine several times. It is possible that moving parts will develop and the problem will be repaired.
- A low crankcase oil level can prevent the engine from starting.
Electric lawn mowers also have their own easily solved problems:
- A commonplace reason that the electric motor of the lawn mower does not work may be a lack of electricity or low voltage. You can find out if there is current in the network using a screwdriver indicator, but to measure the voltage you need a multimeter.
- The electric mower is equipped with a thermal motor protection. Grass-clogged ventilation holes will cause the protection to operate continuously, preventing the motor from running. Solve the problem easily by cleaning the ventilation holes.
- A broken switch can be the reason for the mower motor to not work. Here you will have to contact the service center or replace the broken part yourself.
If none of the above tips helped to start the unit, you do not need to touch anything else, but it is better to contact a specialist.
They talk about preparing the lawn mower for launch:
Possible startup difficulties and what to do with them:
- Engine sneezes and won’t start Check the amount of gas in the tank.
- Motor won’t sneeze or start check spark plug.
Have you done everything that is written above, and the lawn mower still won’t start? Read the instructions in detail, paying particular attention to the troubleshooting section. There is a chance that the solution to your problem lies there.
How to start a lawn mower
Often times, using garden tools starts with buying a mower with all the necessary accessories and are ready to take a look at it in action, so the obvious next step is to pull on the cord. Everything is correct!
However, sometimes this is not enough, it should be borne in mind that, depending on the brand and type of device, all models start up differently. We will share some general tips on how to how to start a lawn mower, as well as the reasons why it may not start.
1. The first thing to do before starting fill the unit with fuel and check the oil level.
There are times when the user simply forgot to do this. In such cases, you can pull the starting rope for several hours before a miracle will happen! In order not to waste time on vain attempts, here’s how to refuel your lawn mower:
- Open the fuel tank cap and fill up to the mark. If there is no mark, but fill fuel up to the neck, do not overfill.
- Check the oil level. If it is not enough, then soon with such operation you will ruin the engine, therefore it is better to top up. Typically, oil is poured through the lid on the top of the case (it often has oil written on it or a grease can).
It is important to know that many mowers, mainly with a two-stroke engine, require a fuel / oil mixture. This is your case, read the instructions carefully!
2. The next stage bleeding the fuel pump.
To do this, you need to find a soft cap near the spark plug, usually it is made in red or black. Found it? Ok, press it 4-5 times to fill the carburetor with fuel. Do not get carried away, otherwise you will flood the motor.
Do not worry if you have not found such a pump, it is not present on all devices, so you will have to fully open the throttle valve.
3. Checking the candle.
The spark plug is located close to the engine and can be identified by the rubber cap. Make sure the cap fits snugly.
4. Throttle opening.
This action is necessary in order to move the throttle lever to the middle or extreme position. Otherwise, the engine will not be supplied with enough gasoline.
Be careful when starting up! Most new mowers are manufactured with a safety switch, which is important to hold down during the start. If you do not have this, then check that the unit is stable.
Five. Pull the cord sharply.
Place one hand on the mower body and pull the starter rope up sharply with the other. It’s okay if you had to do this a couple of times before the technique started, with experience the number of attempts will decrease.
Prevention of possible difficulties with starting the mower:
- Thoroughly clean the grass from the device after each use. Having dried up, it adheres firmly to the leading elements of technology, which over time complicates the work of the nodes. In addition, the unpleasant smell of rotting grass will haunt you every time you work with the mower.
- During winter time, always empty the fuel tank, as it will thicken during storage and clog the carburetor.
- Avoid starting without lubrication. This is a direct road to serious breakdown and repair-related troubles.
Lawn Mower Control Basics
In fact, any of the lawn mowers is a motor with a pair of sharp knives mounted on the motor shaft. The entire structure of the motor shaft with the impeller is covered with a plastic or steel guard and fixed to the wheel cart. Despite the relatively large weight of the unit, in theory, any adult without special physical training can mow with a lawn mower. However, mowing grass is not as easy as the advertisements might look like.
To operate the lawn mower correctly and safely, you must:
- Correctly service the device, adjust and prepare the mower for work;
- It is good to navigate the terrain of the mowed area. Before starting work, inspect the area and remove stones, large branches, any debris that can break off the cutting edge, knife and engine;
- If there are flower beds or shrubs on the lawn, plan the mower’s route and where to unload the cut grass container in advance.
How to operate a lawn mower
Any advertisement presents a modern lawn mower as a versatile tool capable of doing the work of a dozen mowers in an hour. In addition to high productivity, the lawn mower allows you to get a good quality lawn and mow successfully, regardless of skill, with relatively little physical activity. But working with a lawn mower is not so easy, it requires some skill in operating the machine and a good knowledge of the terrain features.
Modern lawn mowers make it possible to adjust the position of the handle for any height or features of the constitution and physique of a person. The easiest way to mow and steer the cart is if your hands on the handle are at the level of the center of gravity of the body or 2-3 cm higher.
With a large mass of the lawnmower, the control handle has a lot of force, so when choosing a model, choose a design with an aluminum or steel tubular frame.
This is especially true for front-wheel drive lawn mowers. Owners of front-end mowers like to hang the front axle, thereby reducing traction and adjusting the direction of travel of the machine by turning the body on the rear axle in the desired direction.
Lawn mower practice
Any complex technical device takes some time to get used to. If you have not had the experience of working with mowers of any design, the first step is to study the instructions in order to clearly understand which levers and knobs are used to control the mower motor, and which ones are used to adjust the cutting parameters. In addition, you will need to learn how to set the adjustments to the position of the cutting edge of the lawn mower so as to mow the grass in an even and neat layer, leaving the laid 3-4 cm of vegetation throughout the entire area.
Lawn Mower Blade Adjustments
Before mowing, adjust the height of the blades above the ground. Most often, the lift of the mower body above the grass is set with one handle, less often with two for each pair of wheels, this helps to mow lawns with very dense and heavy grass.
The heavier the mower body, the lower the cutting edges can be. Most often, this is a value of 20-25 mm. It is good to mow soft grass with a low position of the cutting plane, for hard and high one it is necessary to adjust not only the clearance, but also the angle of inclination of the lawn mower body.
The forward tilt helps compensate for the backward tilt of the windrower if the handle is pushed too hard. Especially if the grass is wet, it is difficult to mow, the rear drive wheels may slip. For a front-drive lawnmower, this tilt will only impair the performance of the mower, it will skip and the surface will remain uneven.
Adjusting and starting the lawn mower motor
Maintaining and adjusting engine speed is considered to be the most difficult stage in preparing a lawn mower for work. Therefore, before engaging in the struggle with complex equipment, even with some experience, be sure to read and re-read the operating instructions. A typical procedure for preparing a new motor for operation looks like this:
- The lawnmower must be placed on a firm, level surface, and all folding elements and handles must be screwed into position. The wheel drive engaging lever must be switched off. If the mower is equipped with a spark cut-off system, be sure to turn it off;
- It is only necessary to mow with an absolutely serviceable lawn mower, therefore, before starting the engine, it is necessary to inspect it and make sure that there is no oil and fuel leakage. With a gloved hand, check the tightness of the chip on the candle and proceed to refueling with fuel and oil;
- The filling of liquids is carried out using the dipsticks; for the oil sump of the motor, it will be necessary to fill in the lubricant according to the average measure, no more. If overflowed, liquid may squeeze out of the vent or gasket;
- Be sure to change the oil after running in. If you decide to use semi-synthetics, do not switch to mineral water, and vice versa. For about the first 20-30 hours after running in the engine, it is necessary to mow the grass at medium and low speeds. The performance will be low, but in the end you will significantly benefit from the resource of the motor, after a couple of mows it will be possible to mow in normal mode.
What kind of oil should I put in the mower? High quality mineral or semi-synthetics. It is most appropriate to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations, rather than follow the advice of the seller of motor oils.
Do not believe the fables of sellers and advertising slogans about preliminary running-in of motors at the enterprise. This procedure is carried out in full at the enterprise only for powerful high-speed motors with a high degree of boost.
It is easiest to mow with high-octane unleaded fuel, but only if you are 100% confident in the quality of the gasoline. The engine of the lawn mower keeps the revs well and practically does not get warm. American and Chinese engines work fine on the A-92, European versions may be more capricious in the choice of gasoline. For two-stroke engines, gasoline is mixed with a special oil in a 50: 1 ratio.
We start the motor in the following sequence:
- Before starting, check the position of the lawn mower motion control knob, the transmission must be turned off, otherwise the mower will start moving and mowing on its own when the engine starts. We turn off the power to the magneto or the ignition system and turn the motor shaft several times with a starter cord or with a starter.
- We turn on the ignition, close the air damper and try to start the engine.
- If the start fails, turn off the ignition, open the air damper and, turning the shaft with the starter for a few seconds, blow through the combustion chamber.
- After successfully starting the engine, move the throttle control lever to the position corresponding to the rpm between medium and lowest.
Start the mower motor only if there is no fuel leakage at the pipe connections.
Almost all models have the ability to mow and dump the grass into the grass catcher, so we choose a convenient place for the lawn mower parking to remove and unload the grass box and convert the machine or simply inspect it if necessary. There will also be fuel, tools and spare candles.
Petrol or electric lawn mowers, the choice is yours
Today, you can find two types of lawn mowers on sale. These are electric lawn mowers and gasoline ones. If you need to mow the grass far from home, then it is best to use gasoline technology. The advantage is that the petrol lawnmower is not dependent on electricity. The engine is absolutely unaffected by the long-term operation of the mower.
The mowing speed of a gasoline lawn mower is much faster than an electric one.
Before starting the gasoline lawn mower, you need to make sure that there is fuel in the tank, and most importantly, there is oil for the engine. If there is no oil, the engine will jam. In this case, you will have to spend a lot of money on repairs.
Electric lawn mowers are considered more economical and quieter. However, there is a clear disadvantage to electric lawn mowers this lack of mobility. And it is limited by the length of the power cord. You need to constantly be near the outlet. Over, during operation, the wire is often confused, it has to be corrected.
Before turning on the electric lawnmower, you need to check whether the power cable and the socket itself is intact. Under no circumstances should the electric lawnmower be used during rain or dew. This technique can only be used on dry grass.
Good care of your lawn mower is a guarantee of its long-term use
It should be noted that the lawn mower is versatile and one of the most convenient machines that is used for gardening purposes. Thanks to the use of a lawn mower on the site, you can create an unusual landscape design. A lawnmower can be called a highly specialized unit, as it can only mow the lawn. Nevertheless, it is the lawn mower that becomes the best assistant for summer residents, owners of suburban areas. Lawn mowers are used in municipal services. With their help, parks and squares are always kept in proper shape.
When buying a lawn mower, special interest and attention is always shown to it. Remember not to overload the mower. The machine needs care, cleaning with your own hands. However, over time, the lawnmower still becomes a common tool for work, which is paid little attention.
Operating rules for gasoline and electric lawn mowers
The operating rules for gasoline and electric lawn mowers are approximately the same. You always need to follow the rules that are clearly spelled out in the instructions from the manufacturer. It is important to pay attention to the moment when the device needs to take a break. For example, if the engine on a gasoline lawnmower overheats, it will damage it.
After each work process, you need to remove the remnants of grass from the knife and other equipment parts. The mower should be stored in a dry place where it will not be threatened by precipitation. As soon as work with garden equipment ends, it must be turned off so that there is no threat to the health and life of your loved ones. When the device is running, it is impossible to inspect the equipment. If you find any problems, then you need to contact the service center, where you will be provided with qualified assistance. The problem, which is identified on time, will allow to avoid expensive repairs in the future.
If a very large and thick grass has grown on your site, then you cannot mow it at a time. You need to walk the mower several times. The grass must be removed gradually so that the mower does not overload.
In order for the knife not to dull when hitting the ground, you need to avoid unevenness in the area. To cut the lawn beautifully and correctly, you need to carry the device only forward. To prevent the lawnmower from harming you, you must wear protective clothing and shoes. The mower is not used where there are stones, curbs, debris. All this can lead to damage to a running lawnmower.
Now is the time to talk about how to use the lawn mower correctly, as well as how to properly repair and service it.
How to sharpen a knife in a lawn mower
First of all, we will tell you how to sharpen knives on lawn mowers. Let’s say right away that the principle is the same on gasoline and electric devices. First, turn off the power to the mower. Then we put the device on the brake. The protective cover is removed. After turning the mower on its side, wear rubber gloves or other gloves to avoid injury. Use a brush to remove dirt and grass from visible parts. Then we remove the knife and fix it in a vice. Now you can start sharpening the knife with the file. If the knife is bent during operation, then it is necessary to align it. To do this, place the product on a flat surface and level it with a hammer.
See useful information about sharpening lawn mower knives
Once all the work is done, you can put it in place. Most often, knives begin to sharpen in the spring, when the first mowing occurs. You don’t have to sharpen the knife during the season.
According to the words, everything is so simple, but when a person who does not understand anything in this matter is taken to work, many difficulties immediately appear. It’s best not to do the job yourself. Entrust it to specialists. Improper sharpening will result in the knife being thrown away. In order to remove the knife from the mower, you must use a socket or box wrench. It is not necessary to re-tighten the bolt too much, since you will have to unscrew it again later. Not only that, the force will cause the threads to be ripped off.
How to care for your lawn mower
Clean the inside of the mower cover after every mow. The grass that collects on the device can not only interfere with further work, but also cause a fire. Do not use chemicals to clean the lawn mower. This may damage some parts. If you wash some parts with water, then you need to wipe everything dry very well then. As soon as a little paint falls behind the metal, corrosion will immediately begin.
There are modern models that have a fitting available. A hose is connected through it. The water turns on, the mower starts up. While the knife is rotating, it is flushed.
All lawn mowers are air cooled engines. To keep the engine from overheating, you need to constantly clean its fins on the radiator. In order to clean the motor, sometimes some parts have to be removed. A great way to clean your engine is to use a compressor that supplies compressed air.
Fuel quality affects engine performance and performance. After the last use, you need to drain the gasoline from the gas tank. Best of all, when it is all worked out. So, it is necessary to crank the starter so that all the valves close. So we leave the technique until next season.
Sometimes the engine oil and spark plugs are changed on lawn mowers. The oil is changed when the manufacturer requires it. Only special oil is used in terms of viscosity and grade. There are engines where the lower compartment opens to drain the oil, and it also happens that you need to turn the mower on its side.
It is better to drain the oil immediately after work. Then precipitation will not have time to form in the crankcase, and the viscosity of the hot oil is much lower.
If the candles are corroded or burnt out, they need to be replaced. You can simply clean the candles, but it is better if a new one is installed. The air and fuel filters also need to be cleaned and, in some cases, replaced.
The lawn mower should be stored in a closed and dry area. Moisture, snow, all this is unacceptable for technology. Make sure that no children or animals are approaching the mower. Only a dry and clean lawn mower is sent for storage.
Before mowing the grass, check that there are no bricks, metal or glass on it. Otherwise, the knife may break and the engine will jam. Replacing the knife is not a problem, but replacing the motor is not a cheap pleasure.
It is best to operate the lawn mower when the grass is dry and it should not rain outside. Electric lawnmower can result in electric shock. If it is a petrol lawn mower, the device will be damaged if water gets on the filter.