How To Start A Saw Stihl Ms 180
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180. A tool worthy of attention
Stihl MS 180 chainsaw device: technical specifications, malfunctions and repairs, do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment and much more on our website!
Stihl MC 180 chainsaw device. Model components
The design of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is quite difficult to call simple. This is due to the peculiarities of the operation of this model. The Stihl 180 chainsaw device consists of the following components:
The manufacturer took into account the possibility of regular operation of the chainsaw at low temperatures, which resulted in the presence of a proprietary system for a smoother and faster engine start.
No oil is supplied to the chainsaw chain
If you notice this malfunction, then the first thing to do is adjust the oil supply. The oil supply to the chain is adjusted as follows:
- Find the adjustment screw on the bottom of the chainsaw next to the sprocket;
- To increase the oil supply, the screw needs to be turned towards “”;
Features of the operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of the chainsaw, as well as its modification. The Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaws, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation that will protect the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
Chainsaw does not start well. Looking for reasons
If your saw won’t cold start, the first thing to do is inspect the tool pistons. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate piston replacement may be required. Before changing the piston, we advise you to study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the saw top cover and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, the drive sprocket and the starter;
- Next, the flywheel, worm drive and victorious chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
How to dilute gasoline for a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The chainsaw engine must be running on a properly mixed gasoline and oil mixture. The higher the quality of these two components, the longer your garden tool will last. The proportion of oil and gasoline is also important.
Chainsaw won’t start. Reasons and repairs
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting, this may indicate that engine oil is flooding the tool spark plug. To inspect the candle, you need to pull out the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you see large spots of oil on the candle, then this is the reason for the breakdown.
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, so after the engine control lever is set to the choke open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during the launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, which allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may be slightly different.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that it is necessary to take care of a successful start after downtime and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold one.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the jet, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. Over, this principle is maintained regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not without its drawbacks. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank is joined loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation in this regard: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. You need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need check petrol supply, air filter, and then make sure the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have dense and stable stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term use of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels with a plug, or the reason should be sought in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.
- For many owners, a question regarding correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Repair of any equipment should begin with the preparatory work, and the Stihl 180 saw is no exception. At the preparatory stage, before the Stihl 180 chainsaw is disassembled, it is necessary to remove the side cover, chain and tire from the chainsaw. Further, with the help of a compressor and a brush, you need to clean the chainsaw from dirt, sawdust, oil drips and other things.
In places with a large accumulation of oil, it can be washed with clean gasoline.
Disassembly and assembly of Stihl МС 180
Stihl MS 180 is a reliable and unpretentious tool, but sometimes it requires repair, like any technique. In this article, we will consider how the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is disassembled, which is necessary in the event of an engine overhaul.
Removing the handle
The direct disassembly of the Stihl 180 begins with the removal of the handle, which is attached to the body of the chainsaw using three rubber shock absorbers. To remove it, it is necessary to remove the plastic plugs from the inner cavity of the shock absorbers, then, using a powerful screwdriver, squeeze out first the upper shock absorber, then the one closer to the rear handle.
When the handle remains on one shock absorber, it is necessary to unscrew the body of the chainsaw from the inside of the handle and, bending to the side, remove the body from the last rubber band.
Removing and disassembling the engine
The engine is held in place by 4 screws installed on the bottom of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. To remove them, unscrew them, then carefully remove the engine from the seat and the rubber tube of the carburetor.
To disassemble the engine, 4 crankcase screws are unscrewed, and it is removed, then you can remove the crankshaft assembly with oil seals, bearings and piston rings.
Removing bearings and seals usually does not require additional tools, but if the bearings were pressed onto the shaft with force, then a special puller will be needed for dismantling.
To remove the piston from the connecting rod, you will need to remove the retaining ring from the seat using a thin screwdriver, then the piston pin is squeezed out from the opposite side, after which the piston is retracted to the side.
Removing the flywheel
The flywheel of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is twisted with great effort, therefore, to remove it, you need a head with a metal knob. The nut holding the flywheel is unscrewed by the head by 13.
To block the crankshaft from turning, you need to unscrew the spark plug and install the piston stopper through the spark plug hole, if it is not there, you can use the old starter cord, with knots tied to it and immersed in the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
After the piston is locked in the cylinder, you can unscrew the flywheel nut. The thread in the nut is ordinary, so you need to turn it to the left. Having loosened the nut, it is not necessary to remove it to the end, it is enough to unscrew it until its upper edge is equal to the tip of the shaft, after which a soft metal drift is installed on the nut and a sharp blow is made on it. Thus, the flywheel jumps off the shaft from a sharp impact and can be easily removed without the help of additional tools.
Removing the starter
At the next stage, the upper housing cover is removed and the 4 starter mounting screws are loosened, after which it is necessary to remove the oil tank and fuel barrel covers. The starter is removed quite simply and there should be no problems.
After removing the starter, the opened inner cavity of the chainsaw must be cleaned, since there is usually a large amount of compressed small sawdust on the body under the starter.