How To Start A Saw Stihl Ms 180
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 a tool worthy of attention The device of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw: technical specifications, malfunctions and repairs, do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment and much more on our website!
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw correctly?
The correct procedure for starting the chainsaw is as follows:
- Before starting the saw, the chain brake must be activated. For this, the brake lever must be tilted forward;
- Next, you need to remove the protective cover;
- Next, you need to press the decompression valve, this will greatly facilitate starting the engine;
- Then press the fuel pump several times. This will reduce fuel consumption directly when starting the saw engine;
- Then move the combination throttle lever down to the cold start position. To do this, you first need to activate the throttle lever;
- Pull the cable slowly until you feel resistance. After that, quickly pull the cable towards you until you hear that the engine starts and stalls;
- Then move the combination lever up one position;
- Pull the cable again until the motor starts;
- As soon as the engine starts, pull the gas trigger, and after moving the combined lever to the up position until it stops, release it;
- Release the chain brake lever by pulling it towards you until it clicks;
Chainsaw won’t start reasons and repair
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting, this may indicate that engine oil is flooding the tool spark plug. To inspect the candle, you need to pull out the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you see large spots of oil on the candle, then this is the reason for the breakdown.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 stalls at idle
The most common reason for this is incorrect adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not idle, the tool assembly will need to be readjusted. To do this, take an adjustment wrench from the saw kit and insert it into the screw on the tool handle. While doing this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts to work normally.
Chainsaw starts poorly looking for reasons
If your saw won’t cold start, the first thing to do is inspect the tool pistons. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate piston replacement may be required. Before changing the piston, we advise you to study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the saw top cover and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, the drive sprocket and the starter;
- Next, the flywheel, worm drive and victorious chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting using the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly run in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for the presence of oil for the chain; for this, the saw must be placed on an old newspaper and the tool must be started. If there is oil, traces of it will appear on the paper;
- Then turn off the inertial brake;
- After that, start the chainsaw and let it idle for 20 minutes. In this case, every minute you need to do short pressing on the gas trigger;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
How to dilute gasoline for a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The chainsaw engine must be running on a properly mixed gasoline and oil mixture. The higher the quality of these two components, the longer your garden tool will last. The proportion of oil and gasoline is also important.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that it is necessary to take care of a successful start after downtime and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1 2 ml of fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold one.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, so after the engine control lever is set to the choke open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during the launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the choke valve opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull the starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher revs because the throttle is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start a Stihl 180. It reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
1.We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting up can be done in different ways. Let’s look at two of the most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything wisely, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the choke in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
After you have done this, further, in order to start the chainsaw, you begin with an energetic movement to pull the starter handle until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
In this position, pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. At the same time, if it turned out to be started, due to the fact that the throttle stick is fixed in the pressed position, it will immediately work at high speeds.
Then, once press and release the gas button on the chainsaw, the throttle adjustment lever will automatically return to the operating position (Fig. 3), and the speed of the chainsaw will decrease. Now you can work.
If you need to start a heated chainsaw, then you just need to put the lever in the position, as in fig. 3, and can be wound up.
- To stop the engine of the chainsaw, raise the throttle adjustment lever to the upper position
Now let’s take a look at the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
Then press the swap primer several times (Fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and then click on it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then proceed to the next step.
Now on the chainsaw, pull the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (Fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can be pulled out only when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
- Next, we pull the starter handle until the chainsaw makes an attempt to start and stalls. After that, push the throttle position adjustment lever back on the chainsaw until it stops and pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. In some cases, in order to start the chainsaw, the throttle position adjustment lever needs to be pushed only halfway, and it must be fully pushed in after the chainsaw starts.
- Chainsaws with fixed gas have high RPM after starting. Where there is no fixation, the revs are low. In the latter case, due to low revolutions, the chainsaw usually stalls after working for a short time. In this case, without adjusting anything, we start the chainsaw again, and this can be done several times until the chainsaw warms up a little and can already keep the speed and not stall.
- To start a hot chainsaw, you just need to turn on the ignition by moving the corresponding toggle switch, and you can pull the starter handle.
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or to those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poorly started chainsaw.
2.Why won’t the chainsaw start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; air filter clogged. So, below we offer a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
Procedure if your chainsaw does not start
The first thing I would like to note is that if your chainsaw does not start, do not turn any screws on the carburetor. If you are not an expert, you will still not be able to set up something on your own and you will not be able to start the chainsaw.
The next steps necessary to start the chainsaw, perform in the order indicated, starting to do the action under the next number only if the previous one did not help.
- Try to start by simply leaving the chainsaw alone for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps during the start-up, a candle flooded with it, this happens. Then try starting again according to the instructions.
- Remove the housing cover on the chainsaw, remove the air filter and try to start without it. If the filter is dirty, it should be washed in soapy water and dried or replaced with a new one.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the chainsaw. Check for a spark. If there is no spark, then try putting in a new candle. If the spark still does not appear, then this means that the ignition unit is damaged and the saw needs to be carried for repair. True, visual observation of a spark does not mean that the ignition unit is working properly. If there is a spark, and the chainsaw did not work, follow the steps below.
- If there is a spark, but the plug is wet, then turn the chainsaw over to drain excess gas from the cylinder if it has accumulated there. Juggle the starter 10-15 times without a spark plug to ventilate the combustion chamber. Ignite the candle and screw it back, or better, change it to a new one, if available. Try starting again according to the instructions.
- If the candle is dry, draw one or two cubes of gasoline mixture into the syringe and pour it into the cylinder. Try to start the chainsaw, perhaps a small speck has got into the carburetor, which prevents the fuel from entering the combustion chamber. It is quite possible that this speck will be pulled out by the stream formed after starting the chainsaw by adding fuel directly to the cylinder.
- Unscrew the muffler and remove it, being careful not to spoil the gasket between the muffler and the engine. Try to start without muffler and air filter. With the muffler removed from the chainsaw, you can inspect the piston from the inside. If there are burrs or scuffs on the walls of the cylinder or piston, or the ring on the piston is clamped by burrs, then you will have to be very upset, as this means that the piston is damaged or worn out. This usually happens when oil is not added to the fuel mixture. With such a malfunction, you will have to contact the service, and perhaps even think about buying a new chainsaw, since replacing a piston is a rather expensive operation.
Thus, we have sorted out in this article how to start the chainsaw according to the instructions, as well as what to do if the chainsaw will not start. We hope you find these tips helpful.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the jet, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. Over, this principle is maintained regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 liters, the fuel tank is 0.25 liters.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.
- For many owners, a question regarding correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.