How To Start A Saw Without A Starter
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold one.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, so after the engine control lever is set to the choke open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during the launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the choke valve opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull the starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher revs because the throttle is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start a Stihl 180. It reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, which allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may be slightly different.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
How to hold a chainsaw
To carry out the correct start of the chainsaw, an important point is how the saw is located at this moment, more precisely, how the operator holds it. There are two options for correctly holding the saw at the moment of starting.
The first option: the saw is placed on a level surface, the operator’s left hand is straight and holds the saw by the upper handle, the right foot is placed on the right-hand guard and presses the saw to the ground.
In this position, it is most convenient for the operator to launch the tool, since the right hand is free and the tool is securely fixed.
Option two: The operator stands, the left hand holds the upper handle of the saw, while the operator squeezes the rear handle between his legs.
This position allows you to easily start a low-power saw, and at the same time securely fix it, preventing yourself from accidents.
You can see how to start a chainsaw and visually study the startup actions below. The specialist of the Stihl company talks about how to work the tool correctly, and how to start it on the example of the Stihl MS 211 chainsaw is very informative and contains reliable information from the manufacturer.
Purge after algorithm violation
If you did not manage to start the chainsaw the first time, do not worry, this happens, most likely the problem lies in the excess fuel in the cylinder. It is necessary to carry out preparatory operations, namely, remove the fuel from the cylinder, and try to start again.
To eliminate the problem, you will have to unscrew the spark plug and blow through the cylinder. To do this, it will be necessary to turn the tool with the candle hole down, turn off the ignition button and make several movements with the starter in this position. Compression causes the engine to squeeze out excess fuel, after which you can try to start the saw with the throttle fully open.
How to start a chainsaw
With the development of gas powered tools, a chain saw with a gasoline internal combustion engine (ICE) appeared in almost everyone who lives in rural areas or has a summer cottage. Household models, semi-professional tools and professional units start up about the same. But not everyone knows how to start a chainsaw correctly. We will try to understand this issue and figure out how to start a chainsaw.
Chainsaw start algorithm
In order to start the chainsaw, several processes must occur simultaneously. This is the supply of the fuel mixture under the engine piston, its maximum compression and the supply at this moment of the spark for ignition and start.
All these processes occur at the moment when we pull the starter handle. If you have a new chainsaw, do not forget that it must be run-in.
But not everything is as simple as it seems, the fuel for starting in cold and hot engine modes should differ in the quality of the air mixture. For example, a hot internal combustion engine can start with a normal air level, at which it works stably and keeps idling speed confidently. The same amount of air will be too much to start a cold engine, and before starting the chainsaw, you will have to pull the starter 10 times, or maybe more. How can this problem be solved?
To reduce the amount of air and increase the fuel supply, the manufacturers of chainsaws installed a special damper in the carburetor, which is responsible precisely for the process of adjusting the amount of air at the time of starting the internal combustion engine.
It turns out to start the saw engine several times faster, which increases the operating time of the starter and the entire saw as a whole.
So how do you start the saw correctly? The launch algorithm is as follows:
- Close the air damper completely. To do this, in all chainsaws, a special lever is installed, pulling which closes.
- Using a primer, pump fuel into the carburetor. This is necessary so that the internal combustion engine does not require several working cycles to fill the carburetor.
- Perform several movements with the starter, until the first ignition in the cylinder. It is called the first outbreak. We will dwell on this point in more detail because of its extreme importance for a correct launch. It is at the time of the initial ignition that optimal conditions are created for the subsequent launch. Under the influence of the temperature from the first flash, the fuel in the cylinder evaporates, forming gas vapors, and as everyone knows, it is they who participate in the operation of the internal combustion engine. Therefore, the next stage should complete the process, and finally start the chainsaw engine.
- Open choke halfway and move with starter. After these actions, the chainsaw should start and start working at high speeds; to normalize them, you must press the control lever for the number of revolutions to the maximum and immediately lower it. After these actions, a properly adjusted engine will go into idle mode and reduce revs.
What happens if you don’t open the air damper after the first flash? The answer is simple, the carburetor will not reduce the flow of fuel to the cylinder, and it will flood the spark plug electrode. After that, even a large number of movements with the starter will not allow starting the chainsaw.
The answer to the popular question about starting a chainsaw
On the Internet, you can often find questions about how you can start a chainsaw without the help of a starter. The answer is simple to start a chainsaw without a starter is impossible in principle. Manufacturers do not provide for any alternative starting methods, since even if you remove it and start the saw in some way, it will be impossible for it to work due to irregularities in the cooling system. In it, a volute is installed, which transfers the flow of cold air from the flywheel impeller to the cylinder.
If you remove it, the engine will overheat and most likely jam.
A method for starting a hot engine and an engine equipped with a decompression system.
A hot engine does not need to enrich the fuel mixture with air, so you can start the saw without closing the air damper. The ignition is simply turned on and a movement is made by the starter, after which a serviceable chainsaw should start.
Large displacement engines have quite severe compression, which makes cranking extremely difficult. To reduce the effort required to start a saw with a large volume and power, manufacturers use special decompression valves, when pressed, the compression is noticeably reduced and the engine turns more easily.
Valves can be of different types, so check the instructions for the tool in advance.
Thus, before any kind of starting, be it hot or cold, it is necessary to press this valve, designed to reduce the resistance, and thereby increase the life of the starting device.
In conclusion of the article, you can summarize the key points of starting a chainsaw. First, you need to start with maximum safety. Second, any deviations from the startup algorithm are not allowed. And finally, you can’t start a chainsaw without a starter! Consider the information from the article and use your tool correctly.
If you can’t turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has become the cause of a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for recently used saws. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device for removing the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. You can also replace the old item with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
When a spark appears when you cannot get the device to work, you must continue to follow the steps below.
- There are times when a spark appears, but the candle itself is moist. This is possible if gasoline gets on it. To get rid of it, it is enough to turn the device over so that the cylinder is facing downwards. Then all the excess liquid will pour out. Next, you should check the combustion chamber, for which you need to pull the starter more than 10 times. A candle damaged by moisture can be replaced with a subsequent check of its effectiveness. If it becomes faulty, you can replace this element with a new one. After these steps, you need to try to activate the device again.
- Sometimes the candle stays dry. In this case, it is necessary to draw the gas mixture into the syringe and pass it into the cylinder. After that, you should immediately try to start the device. If the reason for the long absence of reaction to the attempts to switch on is debris trapped in the carburetor, then when removing it, there should be no interference with the flow of fuel into the combustion chamber. The mechanism of successful garbage collection is determined by the flow of liquid when filling the gas mixture, so you need to pour fuel with force, and then almost immediately try to start the device.
- The muffler is removed. To do this, it is unscrewed and carefully removed so as not to deform the gasket that delimits it from the engine. It is necessary to try to start the mechanism without using an air filter and a muffler, which helps to exclude breakdowns in these structural elements.
1 diagram of a standard mechanism
- Step 1. Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is the normal movement of the damper possible to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
- Step 2. The starter handle should be pulled, and this is done in jerks, not soft movements. This action requires the use of moderate force. These jerks should be continued until the start of the chainsaw ignition is clearly heard, which ends very quickly (dies down). After carrying out this measure, the position of the damper must be moved one step up.
- Step 3. Starter handle twitches again then until the system starts. When the device begins to actively work, a high speed is immediately noticeable, since the throttle stick is at a high level. It must be remembered that sometimes chainsaws are supplied without a starter, then all actions with this element are released.
- Step 4. The gas button is pressed once and then released, then the position of the damper will immediately become optimal. The speed drops, that is, the intensity of the chain revolutions.
- Step 5. The already warmed-up chainsaw starts when the lever is set to the “1” position, and then the actions are performed to turn on the device.
- Step 6. To turn off the engine of the device, it is necessary to put the damper in the highest position.
Our other article will also help you make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw.
Russian-made chainsaws. Low price with sufficiently high quality.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism how to start the saw correctly
- Step 1. The ignition is turned on. To do this, you need to move the toggle switch to the desired place or move the switch.
- Step 2. The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than two times. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
- Step 3. The adjustment lever, responsible for the location of the damper, pull out all the way. Many chainsaws have the ability to block this element. Then it can only be moved while pressing and holding the throttle button. Some chainsaws do not have this lock, which makes them more comfortable to use. For these models, gas may not be fixed or retained when using automatic technologies.
- Step 4. You need to take the starter handle and jerk it with sharp movements until the ignition is heard. It is celebrated by the institution and the almost instantaneous shutdown of the motor. After that, the shutter must be pushed back to its original position, checking it until it stops. Then the starter handle jerks again until the device starts. Before carrying out this event, you need to make sure that it is this method that will help start the chainsaw. Some devices have a different ignition system. In order for the motor to work in them, you need to move the damper only 50%, and only when the motor starts to actively work, push it out completely.
- Step 5. If you purchased a seating gas model, you need to prepare in advance for the highest engine speed immediately after activating the device. When there is no fixation, the initial power is very low, so in most cases it has to be increased. If you do not take any action, then in the latter case the saw runs for a short period of time, and then automatically stalls. If this happens, you need to start the chainsaw again.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything can also be switched on safely and more comfortably without the use of braking equipment.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw (Stihl MS-180) first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, but in most cases the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the instructions contain information about the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which does not have any special bells and whistles. It usually works well even under difficult conditions.
Operation is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see carburetor adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- The ignition system is contactless in almost all devices.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it has additional parts.
- Chain (see chain oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see how to sharpen the chain).