How To Start A Stihl Petrol Mower
How to start a petrol trimmer
Instructions for starting the engine for the first time with a petrol cutter, starting a petrol trimmer with a warm engine and the main mistakes that should not be made when starting a 2-stroke engine.
How to start a petrol trimmer
The process of commissioning petrol cutters, whether you bought it now or got it after winter storage, the rules listed below will allow you to avoid major mistakes that can damage the tool.
Let’s say you just bought a petrol trimmer. Take the instructions out of the box and see if you have all the parts of the brushcutter that are listed. After that you can start building.
Starting a warm engine
It’s very simple. Move the switch to the working position and pull the cord before starting. If you do everything according to the instructions, then there should be no problems with starting a serviceable petrol cutter.
Fuel mixture and refueling
For the convenience of preparing the fuel mixture, it is better to have a special canister, where one part contains gasoline, and the other contains 2-stroke oil. We recommend getting one like this, it is very convenient to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Next, take a measuring container with a scale applied to it, with its help you can prepare the mixture as accurately and quickly as possible. Look in the instructions what brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/masla-i-smazki/ are recommended by the manufacturer of your petrol cutter model. Pour gasoline and oil into a container for preparing a fuel mixture, according to the proportions indicated in the instructions. Then carefully pour the prepared mixture through a funnel into the trimmer fuel tank. The ratio of gasoline to oil should be exactly as indicated in the instructions. This is a very important point!
Starting petrol cutters with a cold engine
To start the brushcutter for the first time, locate the choke lever and place it in the closed position. Turn on the ignition on the handle. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called suction, then press it 3-5 times until you see the fuel mixture inside the primer. The tool is now ready to run. Place the trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Pull the starter rope gently until you feel its resistance, and then pull the rope towards you with a sharp movement 3-5 times.
If the engine starts after 5 jerks, open the choke. If this does not happen, open the air damper anyway (if the damper is open and you continue trying to start the engine, the fuel will flood the candle and you will have to dry it, and this is a waste of time).
If the engine does not start when the throttle is open, close it and continue pulling the cord. The first launch can be quite difficult and require up to 15 jerks. After the engine has started to work, press the throttle lever once, so you engage idle. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that it can be stopped by clicking on the “Stop” button.
Basic startup errors
Let’s list the main mistakes that beginners make when starting a gasoline trimmer:
- Starting the engine with the ignition off;
- Starting with a closed damper with the number of jerks more than 5 times;
- Improperly formulated fuel mixture.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will return to normal operation, so after the engine control lever is set to the choke open position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during the launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, which allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may be slightly different.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the choke valve opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull the starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher revs because the throttle is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start a Stihl 180. It reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that it is necessary to take care of a successful start after downtime and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
If you can’t turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has become the cause of a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for recently used saws. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device for removing the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. You can also replace the old item with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
When a spark appears when you cannot get the device to work, you must continue to follow the steps below.
1 diagram of a standard mechanism
- Step 1. Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is the normal movement of the damper possible to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
Our other article will also help you make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw.
Russian-made chainsaws. Low price with sufficiently high quality.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything can also be switched on safely and more comfortably without the use of braking equipment.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism. How to start the saw correctly
- Step 1. The ignition is turned on. To do this, you need to move the toggle switch to the desired place or move the switch.
- Step 2. The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than two times. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
For more details, look at:
How to start a Stihl chainsaw (Stihl MS-180). The first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, but in most cases the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the instructions contain information about the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which does not have any special bells and whistles. It usually works well even under difficult conditions.
Operation is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see carburetor adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- The ignition system is contactless in almost all devices.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it has additional parts.
- Chain (see chain oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see how to sharpen the chain).
Recommendations for use
It is necessary to take temporary breaks from work. This is necessary so that the engine of the device does not overheat and fail prematurely. For amateur models, there is a break every 20 minutes for the same time. For professional mowers, work should be interrupted every 50 minutes, in which case the downtime should be at least 10 minutes.
About the manufacturer Stihl
The history of this German brand dates back to 1926. At the initial stages of its development, the company was engaged in the production and sale of various components for washing and steam machines. It all started, like many companies, with a small production and narrow focus, which made it possible to focus on the quality of products.
To date, the company has expanded its activities in more than 160 countries around the world, opening new centers and production offices in Switzerland, China and many other countries. This is understandable, because the range of the company is impressive: motor-drills, gasoline sprayers, mowers, gasoline trimmers, chainsaws and much more. I would like to note that Shtil chainsaws are very popular due to their functionality and reasonable price.
Stihl FS 70 mower price
She is over an improved model with higher power and multitasking. An anti-vibration system is provided to significantly reduce the impact of a running engine on the handle.
FS 70 features:
- Engine power. 1.2 hp;
- Engine volume. 27.2 cm3;
- Tank volume. 0.34 l;
- Engine type. Two-stroke;
- Barbell. Straight;
- Handle. T-shaped;
- Complete set. Belt, reel with fishing line;
- Line diameter. 2.4 mm;
- Weight. 5.4 kg.
DIY Stihl trimmer repair and operating instructions FS-38 and 55 (Stihl FS), carburetor adjustment
It is inherent in man to ennoble the place in which he spends the lion’s share of his time. Residents of cities resort to the services of designers, or they themselves try to change something in their home, buy new furniture, wallpaper, so that when they come home after a hard day, they can mentally rest and relax in a favorable environment. Residents of their own homes outside the city have completely different concerns and requirements. It is necessary to mow shrubs, grass, various dead wood in a timely manner, carefully monitor the condition of the personal plot and garden. It is clear that this requires slightly different means of achieving comfort. And here a new brainchild of engineering comes to the fore. Mowers from Stihl.
Petrol lawn mower FS 38
The model is distinguished, first of all, by its simplicity and compactness, which is quite enough for proper maintenance of the local area. The main control keys are located on the handle of the device, which greatly facilitates and speeds up the work.
- Engine power. 0.9 hp;
- Engine volume. 27.2 cm3;
- Tank volume. 0.33 l;
- Engine type. Two-stroke;
- Barbell. Straight;
- Handle. D-shaped;
- Complete set. 2-toothed grass trimmer blade, protective goggles, belt;
- Weight. 4.1 kg.
This model is one of the most popular on the market! You will find out about all the units that are included in the rating of the best gas mowers here.
The model belongs to professional models, so the goals set for it will be slightly higher. It is designed for cutting rough grass, tough shrubs and young trees.
It has a state-of-the-art, high-power engine that does not emit a lot of harmful emissions.
- Engine power. 1.9 hp;
- Engine volume. 36.3 cm3;
- Tank volume. 0.53 l;
- Barbell. Straight;
- Handle. T-shaped;
- Complete set. Shoulder strap, two-bladed knife;
- Line diameter. 2.4 mm;
- Weight. 5.9 kg.
The range of prices for these models does not mean any difference in quality, first of all, every Stihl mower is designed for a specific job.
It is quite clear that there is no point in purchasing a more expensive and powerful model if you have a small plot or lawn in front of the house. Simpler models will do just fine with this task, but the word “simplicity” is not used here in a derogatory manner. Powerful mowers are designed to handle large areas with overgrown and dense surfaces, hence the price difference. If you are confused in such a variety of tools, then do not be upset, but feel free to click here and we will tell you how to choose a lawn mower for a summer residence.
Model characteristics on.
However, whichever model you choose, you need to follow certain operating rules recommended by the manufacturer in order to avoid possible damage.