How to Tighten a Keyless Drill
How to open a drill chuck?
The purpose of the drill chuck is to securely attach the drill or other nozzles (construction mixer, grinding wheel, etc.). Fixation is carried out by three mechanical "fingers", which are reduced and parted by means of a threaded mechanism.
There are two main varieties of a cartridge:
- Keyless variety. To open such a structure, it is enough to grip the body with your fingers and, turning on the reverse rotation, briefly press the trigger of the tool. The drill itself will rotate the shaft, spreading the "fingers" that fix the drill. Such a cartridge is easier to use, but the reliability of fixing the tool will be slightly lower.
- A variety equipped with a key. The key is a T-shaped device, on one end of which a bevel gear is placed. The other two ends serve as a handle for rotation. To unwind or tighten the cartridge, the key is inserted into the hole on the housing and rotated, holding the housing with the other hand.
Typically, a key is included with the power tool. It either lies in the box or is attached to the power cord with a special mount.
What to do if a key is lost?
If the key is missing, removing the drill will be quite difficult. The easiest option is to deal with the problem of brute force. Parts of the clamping device are held with the right and left hand and rotate in opposite directions. However, if the cartridge is tightened too much or a drill has been used for a long time, it is unlikely to unscrew the thread.
During operation, parts of the power tool heat up and the metal expands. This leads to jamming. To let the chuck go easier, wait for the tool to cool completely.
To enhance the applied impact, use various tools or homemade devices. Here are some ways:
- Experienced craftsmen loosen the cartridge mount with a few tangent hits with the edge of the right palm. At the same time, the drill is held by the left hand in the drill position from itself. The disadvantage of this method is that from a habit you can injure your palm. Yes, and with a tightly tightened (and even more so behaved or jammed) mechanism this way can not be controlled.
Video: How to Tighten a Keyless Drill
- A metal shaft is selected, the diameter of which allows it to be inserted into the hole on the cartridge. In this quality, you can use a nail, an old drill, a hairpin. The main thing is that the metal is strong enough and does not bend from the effort. A screwdriver is inserted into the slot of the cartridge and acts with it as a lever (the support goes to the shaft). It is enough to slightly release the thread, and you can pull out the drill by unwinding the mechanism with your hands.
- The cartridge is clamped in a vice or tightly held with a gas wrench. The shaft is inserted into the hole, and then, applying a muscular effort, untwist or twist the mechanism.
The second method can help if the cartridge is clogged with chip particles. Then its body is clamped in a vice, and lightly tapped on the lever with a hammer. Vibration causes a displacement of parts, and the mechanism wedges.
How not to lose the key?
In order not to be faced with unfinished empty-handed work, it is important to properly organize your workspace. Such an organization will allow you not to lose the key from view every time after changing the tool.
The key is best equipped with a large bright keychain. So he will not get lost in a mess on a workbench and will not be forgotten in a pocket of work clothes.
The easiest way to protect yourself from loss in your own workshop. Here you need to have a permanent place to store the turntable and always put it there. At the same time, the storage place should be quite convenient and at hand:
- Many manufacturers supply their tool with an eye for attaching a turntable. It is placed either under the handle or near the plug. By inserting a key into this hole, you can be calm. it will not be lost. The only drawback is that over time, the mount wears out and breaks.
- The ear for the key is made of insulating tape. It is mounted on a power cord. The mounting location is usually located 50-60 cm from the handle. So the pinwheel will not interfere with work and will always remain at hand.
- By attaching a ring to the key, you can hang it on a hook next to the workbench.
If possible, it is worth stocking up with another key. It is stored in a box in the workshop, away from the place of work. If the main key is lost, the backup turntable will be at hand and will save the situation.
If during the work it turned out that the pinwheel from the clamping mechanism was lost, the main thing is not to panic. With the help of folk methods, it is quite possible to release the cartridge, get or change the drill, finish the job.