How to tuck the line into the grass trimmer bobbin
How to properly wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well maintained only if the grass is regularly mowed. Grass trimmer is best for processing difficult areas. Any owner of the unit sooner or later will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because from the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also withdraw the equipment from failure. Today’s Homius review is all about the ins and outs of line replacement and how to choose the right cutting material.
Grass trimmer is useful for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near the fence, between the beds and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected according to any requirements of the owners.
As a cutting element of the grass trimmer, a fishing line for the trimmer is used. While working, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fasten the thread, tucked into the removable spool.
What to consider when choosing a fishing line
Before inserting and fixing the trimmer line in the removable grass trimmer spool, it is important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmers for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put a grass trimmer line on your trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross section of the cord:
- The thread with a circular cross section is the most common option. They mow the grass perfectly, even in difficult areas;
- line for trimmer with a spiral section is suitable for thin grass. It is not very strong and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- Cord with serrations and sharp edges are chosen for mowing weeds;
- line for trimmer with a variety of geometric sections will help to mow the lawn more evenly, but the durability of the consumable material is low.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material is a two-component trimmer line with a circular cross-section, reinforced on the inside.
The owner of a brushcutter should know that it is categorically impossible to use a wire made of metal, fishing line and a variety of strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before you wind the thread on the grass trimmer reel, you should pay attention to its size. Most often use fishing line for the trimmer with a section of 2 mm.
You can find the appropriate diameter in the following ways:
- Consult the trimmer manufacturer’s manual for recommendations.
- Often manufacturers put information about the section on the bobbin.
- Cord cross section should match bobbin hole diameter.
Important! The thicker the filament, the harder the grass it can cut.
Choosing a fishing line
In order to easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is worth deciding what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread tucked into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often a universal thread with a width not exceeding 2 mm is used. You, in turn, can decide on the size by using the following methods:
- read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the fishing line for use on their own by trying to insert it into the hole of the spool;
- Examine the bobbin for information about the diameters allowed for use.
Selection of fishing line for tucking into the grass trimmer reel can be made by type of engine. So, for example, excessively thick thread can affect the increase in rotational resistance. Because of this the load on the engine will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and duration of its further operation.
Avoiding negative effects is not difficult. For this you need to take into account that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts is ideal for trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm. If you can’t get it, you can use 1.6 mm cord. Filament with a diameter of 2 mm, in turn, is used for engines with more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If you have a gasoline powered straight shaft you should use 2,5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest lines are installed exclusively on devices whose power is equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, is the type of cross-section of the line. When selecting one, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several cross-sectional variants that are in demand:
- Twisted. has a small margin of safety, which makes it only suitable for young grass;
- serrated. with a sharp edge suitable for work in overgrown weeds;
- round. most common. These lines handle fresh grass well, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. because of their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The most durable and versatile cord is a two-piece trimmer line with a circular cross-section, with a core inside. It is the kind of cord that is suitable for most jobs. Keep in mind, however, that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire, and other third-party materials as a cord poses a danger to others.
Removing and disassembling the reel
To properly wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel, you need to familiarize yourself with the structure of the trimmer head. It consists of a protective cover, a bobbin with thread, a body cover, and a spring, which is present only in some devices.
When proceeding to disassemble the reel, you must completely turn off/de-energize the device. The method of operation depends directly on the type of head. The first option is to do the following:
- The user presses the latches located on both sides of the cover.
- After removing the cover, the bobbin is removed. Some models may have a spring, which must also be removed.
- In the center of the housing there is a screw that must be unscrewed with an ordinary screwdriver.
- When the fastener is removed, it remains to remove the gearbox from the shaft, gently rocking the body of the product.
The second option for removing the spool to thread the fishing line into the grass trimmer is to screw the head onto the gearshaft. To perform this procedure, many devices are equipped with a hole into which a tool can be inserted. When the screwdriver is inserted, the user has only to take hold of the body of the product and twist it clockwise. It is noteworthy that this method, unlike the previously described method, is notable for its simplicity.
How to change a line for a trimmer blade
When mowing hard grass and brush, it is recommended to replace the line on your trimmer with a cutting head. The nozzle can be made in the form of a solid metal plate with several cutting blades (usually two to four blades) or in the form of a disk with plastic knives loosely attached to it. All-metal cutting heads are recommended for experienced trimmers with the right tool, because they can potentially cause very serious injury. They are recommended to put only on trimmers with a straight boom (so that the nozzle was as far from your feet as possible all the time) and on trimmers for grass with a paired U-shaped handlebar resembling a bicycle or motorcycle handlebar (perhaps that’s why such petrol trimmers are often called brushcutters). Grass trimmers with D-handle with curved boom are recommended only with a blade disc with plastic blades, which are much safer.
Bosch grass trimmer
The installation of the disc is carried out in roughly the same sequence as the installation of the trimmer head. The metal blade is mounted on a support washer of appropriate diameter so that the disc locks firmly without play. The blade is closed at the top with one or two lock washers, which are screwed onto the gearbox shaft with a left-hand threaded nut. Be careful when you start to pull out the nut, do not lose it. you can not buy it in a regular construction store, only in a specialized shop or service center for trimmers. The plastic blade head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft in the same way as the line head.
Don’t forget to wear protective goggles, headphones and good, sturdy shoes.
When working with an electric line trimmer, be careful not to accidentally get under the line for the trimmer cable, which the technique is connected to the mains.
An electric trimmer for grass is best to choose a battery-operated version. Of course, the batteries need to be periodically charged, but this design is much safer, since there is no contact with the electric network of 220 V. It is desirable, of course, to have a spare battery, so you can change it.
We suggest you watch a video on how to change the line for the trimmer on the head of the lawnmower.
Winding the line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer spool is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once the cord length has been determined, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where you insert the cord. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the side of winding. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it up in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the material carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- When you have finished laying the cord, first secure the short end of the material. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the reel that fits the diameter. The second end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- Once you have secured the trimmer line, cut the ends. Remember to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Attach the spool with the threaded line to the mowing head of the machine. You do this by alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- With the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and pull the material up. When you’ve finished, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
You can also wind the cord on a grass trimmer in another way that charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done this way:
- Bend one end of the cord to form a hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin to secure the line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin hole.
- Assemble the head of the device in a similar way to the first method.
Winding the line
Filling the line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure if you follow a certain algorithm. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material are enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the curbs. Once you have decided on the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine in which direction you need to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it around in the opposite direction.
- Apply the material carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After you finish wrapping up the filament, secure the short end first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the reel that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the line for the trimmer, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded spool to the mowing head of the machine. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the mowing head to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- After applying the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. After completing this action, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Winding the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord to form a hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin that is designed to hold the line. Insert the bent end of the cord there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to remove the bobbin from the tool faster
Before the thread is wound on the reel, it must be removed. And the way of removing depends on the characteristics of the tool. On trimmers with a motor at the ground itself, the spool has two side buttons that, when pressed, detach part of the housing along with the filament winding device.
On tools with a bent bar, the wing nut on the device is moved counterclockwise; after disconnecting it, both the bobbin and the spring inside it are removed. On trimmers with a straight shaft, fix it with a screwdriver, turn it clockwise and remove. Then the device is disassembled either with the help of latches, or by moving its parts in different directions. Take the spring out of the spool.
What kind of line is used for grass trimmer??
The line for the trimmer comes in several kinds:
- Stronger. round;
- For mowing soft vegetation. shaped;
- For mowing narrow grass. with notches;
- Special. Suitable for certain types of grass trimmers.
Type of cross-section of the cutting line must correspond to the vegetation to be mowed.
If you need to change the line for the trimmer, you need to pick up exactly the kind that is recommended by the manufacturer of this particular model of trimmer for grass, in other words, the thickness of the cutting thread must fit the power of the motor and the size of the unit.
It is better to choose a specialized cutting thread. It is worth soaking line trimmer for a while if you plan to change it in the coil.
After soaking, it becomes elastic and becomes stronger.
The cutting filament can be made of various components. Often found among them. nylon.
This material is characterized by the highest degree of wear resistance, ability to withstand different temperatures and high loads.
Nylon trimmer line can be stored for a long time, it does not dry out and does not lose its strength.
Because its life can be quite long.
Reels or heads for brushcutters have different constructions:
How to catch more fish?
- Single string. In the modification of such a grass trimmer there is only one working line for the trimmer. Used mainly for small jobs, such as trimming grass.
- Two-string. Can be automatic as well as automatic. This set includes two strings. This grass trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions on how to correctly wind the cutting filament on the grass trimmer reel:
- The first thing to do is to disassemble the head. To do this, press the catch and turn the cap to the side. Next, the bobbin is removed.
- Measure out the right amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slot.
- Wind the trimmer line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- The 15 cm long ends should be left unwound.
- These ends are inserted into the opposite slots.
- The ends are then secured in the hole on the head.
- After that, carefully insert the bobbin into the body, to do this, you need to gently press it.
- If necessary, you can pull the remaining ends of the thread outwards. To do this, first pull one end of the thread and then the other so that it can easily pass through the slots in the head.
- Now assemble the slots on the housing and screw on the cover.
- Then press the bobbin and try to spin it as far as it will go. When you hear a click, it means the bobbin has clicked into place.
- Next you need to pull the loose ends of the thread to the end.
How to coil a line for your trimmer onto the mowing head of your grass trimmer or brushcutter
This video shows in detail how to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer or brushcutter spool. Threading the mower line.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the mowing head of the brushcutter (grass trimmer)
Find out more on our site: Subscribe to our YouTube Channel! Always glad to cooperate!
Block: 3/7 | Number of characters: 2850
How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer and retrieve the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. A reel or spool is a device that is located inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting! You can replace the accessories right on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. Once you’ve mastered the technology, you can do the replacement work on your trimmer or gasoline-powered brushcutter.
The instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. When disassembling, consider such nuances:
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Block: 3/8 | Symbol Number of characters: 2136
How the line head works on a brushcutter Why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the manual trimmer head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- There is a coil inside the head, which is mounted on slits preventing it from moving freely
- The reel is acted upon by a spring that presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. It is usually between 1 and 4 meters long
- During the performance of the work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the fishing line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is out of mesh with the splines. At the same time, the line for the trimmer is coiled from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the necessary amount of line, you should release the hold-down, and continue mowing
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable material does not require sharpening, as compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to the consideration of the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the point at which most owners of special tools cause difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Winding a fishing line on a grass trimmer
The measured and accurate removal of the bobbin from the grasshopper reel allows you to proceed directly to the winding of the fishing line. The design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, as well as determine the methods used. There are several kinds of spools today, depending on the number of line tendrils and how the line is threaded:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and experts note the ease of operation and refueling a reel with a single whisker. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the thread to be threaded can vary from 2 to 5 meters. In the head, the end of the fishing line is inserted into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is performed in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have arrow markings on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave the free end 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is the determining factor when retrieving the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. Thread the leftover end through the working hole on the reel and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two arms
After removing the bobbin from the reel body, determine the number of lines to wind (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one or two grooves, but there are operational problems with careless spooling into a paired groove. Because of the possibility of intertwining of neighboring lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after the working tendrils are worn out, it is not possible to remove the new ones.
Regardless of the number of spools, trimmer fishing line must be at least 1″ long to be reeled in.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding in the direction of movement will cause the line for the trimmer not to be extracted from the bobbin. Once the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, the free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its performance. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils differ greatly in size, because when you start the trimmer for grass, the blade installed on the protection will cut unnecessary.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and secure the ends in the head, and the winding operation is performed by the tool itself when it is put into operating mode. Incorrect winding of lines for trimmer in grass trimmer with such a head is almost impossible, as the coil independently determines the position of tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head include the simplicity of filling the fishing line, and the disadvantages. frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Working with machinery like grass trimmers requires care and attention. Safety precautions during work are mandatory for beginners and experienced trimmers alike. It happens that confident trimmers lose their vigilance, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important when working with a machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: It is difficult to unwind later.
- After spooling, always check that the tool works before you mow.
- Choose quality material suitable for the particular trimmer.
Do not try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel blades for that. Wear protective clothing only. Wear eyeglasses and appropriate footwear.
Cutting block attachment
The cutting block is the main component of a Philips Hair Styler. It has short and sharp edges and is used for quick and precise hair trimming.
To remove the cutting unit from the styler body, check to see if there is an unhook button on the styler body. If it is present, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If the styler does not have an unplugging button, place your finger under the notches of the cutting unit and pull it out of the unit. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutting unit into the styler body, then push the part with the teeth in until it clicks into place. Do not apply excessive force; this could damage the appliance.
If you are unable to insert the cutting block, check for foreign objects in the styler body and try cleaning it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric grass trimmer we purchased works on the summer cottage or country house. Sooner or later there will come a time when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or maintenance. I should say at once that you do not need to remove the trimmer head to replace the line. Within this article, I will tell you how to remove or replace the entire mowing head, using the example of the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer.
Tips and recommendations on how to wind a line for a trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to know not only for beginners, but also for seasoned mower trimmers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- Do not install the cover until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, depending on the number of locks. If one clamp does not snap, then when you start the tool, the drum can jump out and injure a person
- Do not coil the line for the trimmer with a strong pull on it, and in an amount greater than can be inserted in its place. It is better not to wind up rigging than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material you should first check that the tool functions correctly before attempting to cut the grass. If not checked beforehand, the scaffolding could unravel and injure a person
This is interesting!Choose the correct type of material to prevent injury when working with chain saws, trimmers and brushcutters. In the process of mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in protective special outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the new material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this purpose.