How To Use A Jigsaw For Wood
The following short introduction is designed to answer the question “What is a jigsaw” and “How does it work”. Since this is only a superficial analysis of the tool, we will NOT dive into technical depths, but only touch on the external functionality. I assure you that the information provided will fully clarify the general understanding of the concept of the device and form a clear picture of the principle of its operation.
First of all, you should pay attention to the shape of the jigsaws. They can be stapled or straight with a mushroom-shaped handle. The first option is the most common and very convenient, but the advice of fairness is to say that working with a mushroom handle can be quite comfortable (especially in a figured cut).
Regardless of the shape of the handle, each jigsaw has a start button and its lock (for working without holding). Also, any device of this type has a sole that can be stamped or cast (on more expensive models). For miter cuts, the sole can be tilted using a key or a lever mounted on professional devices. Saw blades, making an average of 50 strokes per second, are installed in a special clamp, which can be a shoe, screw or quick-clamping.
Most modern models are equipped with a pendulum function (to speed up cutting), the regulator of which is located on the left side of the body, next to the file. If you look at the jigsaw device in more detail, you will notice that some models may be equipped with a backlight, a dust collector, a laser pointer and other useful devices. THESE decent functions, we talked about in detail in a separate article.
For more sophisticated users who understand the structure of a power tool, the following jigsaw diagram was laid out. The model of a domestic manufacturer presented for analysis clearly demonstrates all the components of the “filling” of most standard devices.
NOT every saw can handle the tough structure of metals such as steel and even aluminum. For your work with this material to be the most effective, it is enough to follow simple rules.
- We set the minimum frequency of the saw strokes. Unlike wood, where working at maximum speed is permissible, the dense structure of the metal will simply blunt the saws even with the strongest teeth. In this case, the presence of a regulator will be very useful, which will eliminate the need to buy a special electric jigsaw for metal.
- Use saw blades marked with HSS (high speed steel). There are many types of canvases, and before purchasing, you should have a clear understanding of what thickness and density material you will work with. For soft, sheet aluminum, regular T118A is suitable, and for cutting steel, 3-6 cm thick, the T118B jigsaw file is suitable. Where is the first beech “T”, the name of the shank, which may NOT fit your tool (for more details about the mount, see above).
How to insert pollen into a jigsaw
With intensive use or when working with different types of materials, it is often necessary to replace the saw blade. The types of saw attachments, on different Jigsaw models, may differ. To give the most detailed answer, consider each type of clamp separately.
Shoe clamp. Perhaps the simplest attachment of a saw to a jigsaw, most often found in inexpensive copies. Consists of a block with two screws mounted on the front of the tool. It is versatile, as it can fix saw blades with any shank. When tightening this fastener, be careful and make sure that the saw is level. To do this, tighten the screws evenly, a little each, and ideally check the flatness of the installed blade with a square.
Screw clamp. convenient and reliable fastening, although it has only one screw, installed on the side. To figure out how to change pollen for a jigsaw with this type of clamp, you don’t need to be seven spans in your forehead. All that is required is to loosen the fastener with a screwdriver or wrench, remove the old pollen, install a new one and screw it back. The main thing is not to tighten the screw too much, otherwise the canvas may “play” at work.
Quick-release fastening. The most convenient saw clamp found on more or less expensive models. Does not require a wrench or screwdriver and is only suitable for blades with certain types of shank (depending on the tool model). To install the saw, just pull the special lever with your finger and insert a new blade into the groove. There are several types of levers: front, side and radial (shown in the following).
How to drink a circle with a jigsaw
At times, many beginners and even experienced owners of electric Jigsaw are wondering “How to make a perfectly flat circle with this tool”. Tasks for neat radial sawing do not appear often, and require a steady hand, ingenuity or financial investment from the operator. Below, we have given 3 ways on how to cut a circle with a jigsaw, starting from the most commonplace and ending with a rather interesting solution.
With your own hands. The most obvious, but very controversial option for more or less experienced craftsmen. The speed in such a case should be minimal, and it is better to install a vacuum cleaner near the workplace to timely remove sawdust from the marking mowing line. The evenness of the cut, in this case, depends only on the experience of the operator.
Homemade compasses. Perhaps the best option for a home craftsman. To create such a device, you only need a letter of plywood of the size you need, a little PVA glue, and a dozen nails or clamps. The device assembled from these materials can be easily cut out in the countertop a hole for a round sink with a jigsaw, drunk an opening for a decorative window and make many perfectly-even holes wherever you want. You can see the detailed process of making a compass for a jigsaw in the below.
Sufficiently brittle and at the same time elastic (depending on the purpose) material, while having a sufficiently low melting point. In order to understand once and for all how to properly saw plastic with a jigsaw, you should know only 2 simple rules.
- Cutting speed is best kept below average. Of course, plastic does not have the hardness of metal in order to deform the teeth of the saw blade, but a high stroke frequency can easily melt it.
- There are special saws for working with this material, but if they are not available, you can use the standard ones for wood or metal. Suitable for cutting saws T101A (where A is a Fine tooth), T101B (B is a larger one) and T101X (X is a universal saw for wood, plastic and metal).
Working with wood
Despite its solid functionality, the electric jigsaw is most often used for working with wood and its derivatives. The use of this device is always justified: starting from a rough cut of tens of meters of chipboard or timber, and ending with delicate processing of laminate or plywood.
There is nothing tricky in how to work with a jigsaw: you press the start button and start processing the selected material. The most important thing is to carry out the work cleanly, evenly and as needed, without chips. To work with a jigsaw on wood argue, it is enough to know a few simple rules.
Speed. When working with wood, let’s say the maximum number of revolutions. If you need a smoother cut, without chips, the speed is reduced. The optimal speed mode is set depending on the material being processed. If excess chips form on the surface, it is better to reduce the speed or change the saw blade.
Saws. For rough cuts and thick wood, a coarse saw with an average pitch of 4 mm is suitable. delicate straight cut operations are better for finer-toothed blade and better for re-sharpening. For curly cutting, it is better to use fine pollen with large teeth.
Spray without chips. When an electric jigsaw is used to work with wood and its derivatives, the cutting line is almost always accompanied by hard-hitting chips that spoil the overall appearance of the product. This defect is especially noticeable and undesirable on decorative and facing materials. Fortunately, in this problem, there is a very simple and effective solution called “Splinterproof liner”.
This compact plexiglass fixture fits into the sole of some Jigsaw models, and does not allow the close blade to tear out pieces of material during operation. It should be noted that this method provides a clean cut only with saws whose teeth are oriented upwards. Unfortunately, NOT every manufacturer produces such earbuds, but they are NOT universal.
If this improvement is not provided for your jigsaw model, you can make it yourself from a piece of plywood or plexiglass. In the below “how to work with a jigsaw on wood without chips”, the process of making such an impromptu insert is clearly demonstrated.
How to use an electric jigsaw
A compact and handy tool that greatly simplifies the process of cutting wood, metal and many other materials. The design of the jigsaw is simple, but it has certain nuances, the knowledge of which significantly increases the efficiency of using the device. In this article, we will talk about the device of an electric jigsaw, give a short instruction on its operation and share a couple of interesting tricks.
Even being the most experienced craftsmen who have studied the tool inside and out, we, by chance, can be exposed to harmful effects during its operation. We are talking about banal cuts, severed limbs, loss of vision, and in less predictable impacts associated with hearing loss and disorders of the nervous system with all the consequences. It may seem that the safety rules when working with a jigsaw are mostly needed by professionals who work with this device for several hours a day. We recommend that you try to follow the rules below to everyone and always.
Working with metal
Sawing of metal parts is carried out using saws with fine teeth. The stroke frequency is chosen low, the pendulum stroke is not used at all. In the process of work, the metal vibrates, so it is pressed with clamps to plywood or clamped inside two sheets of plywood, forming a “sandwich”.
To reduce friction and prevent overheating of the material, literally a drop of oil is applied in the direction of the jigsaw saw. This will improve the speed and quality of the cut, as well as facilitate the work process.
Change of stock. How to use a jigsaw. Step-by-step description and recommendations
An electric jigsaw is a hand-held tool, which is used to cut various types of materials (wood, metal, chipboard, plastic, tiles, etc.) It works by the reciprocating motion of the saw.
There are two types: network and battery. It has a body that includes a flat platform facing downwards and a handle at the top. A motor with a mechanism that converts the rotational movements of the motor shaft into reciprocating movements of the rod with a saw blade is located inside the body itself.
Change of the “start” button on the speed controller
This operation is performed quite simply. To change the old button to a new one, you will need:
- Open the power tool housing.
- The jigsaw button must be freed from the leads. Today’s Jigsaw models have made this process easier by simply unscrewing the terminal block screws, without using a soldering iron.
- The old part is removed, and the new one is installed in its place in the reverse order.
- All wires are connected back to the already new start button.
- You can start using.
General repair rules
Now we turn to the part on how to use and repair the jigsaw.
Repairing any problem begins with taking apart the tool. This is not at all difficult to do, because the case is easily divided into 2 parts and all mechanisms are in the public domain. First, the dirt is always removed and the lubricant is changed, and after that the actual repair process itself begins.
How to measure angles
When you need to accurately measure the angles, there is no other choice but to use the Stayer lead protractor for the jigsaw. It is metal, with double-sided canvas markings. Has a stationary fastening system, which greatly facilitates the work.
Step-by-step instructions for curvilinear cutting
If everything is more or less clear with a straight cut, then for curved cutting you will have to “sweat a little”.
Curvilinear cutting stages:
- The saw is selected. When the degree of rounding is not very large, then the standard version of the canvas will do. In the case of a sharper rounding, it is necessary to use narrower canvases. However, here it is also important to find a middle ground, because an unnecessarily narrow canvas will resist entering sideways during the sawing process.
- As mentioned earlier, the cut starts with drilling a hole for the dust.
- If the radius is rice, then in the process of work it will be necessary to keep the landmark depending on the position of the canvas, because all sorts of point-marks can knock off the desired course.
- Moving along the markings, the jigsaw is guided, turning around the axis of the part. No lateral effort is required. Do not push the tool forward. He must walk calmly.
Change of brushes
A pair of detachable brushes should always be included with the jigsaw and stored in the back of the engine. To get them, it is enough to open the tool body. Brush replacement process:
- Worn out old brushes get out.
- Contact areas are purged and wiped from dust and other contaminants.
- The same parts are wiped with alcohol.
- New parts are installed.
After that, you can safely proceed to work.
Common causes of failure
It is of great importance how the jigsaw is used at home or at work, because a careful attitude to the tool is the key to its long and productive work. The most common causes of tool failure are:
- High degree of stress. This happens when the worker overdoes it, which presses too much when feeding horizontally. Result: the not very strong holder is damaged, the stem is out of order, the saw is immobilized.
- The power tool is NOT properly maintained. As a result, the bearing wears out, the cam block is erased, the gears become unusable.
- Electrical components are out of order. This refers to the start button, usually associated with a governor at engine speed.
- Quite a long time of the work process. In this case, the current-collecting moving surfaces deteriorate, the brush is erased. The corresponding parts cannot be repaired after this, they must be replaced.
Do not neglect the rules of working with such a tool. this can lead to injury. Therefore, it is important to know how to work correctly and safely with a jigsaw. A few tips for using:
- Be sure to wear safety glasses and a respirator;
- DO NOT lean on the jigsaw, achieving more significant pressure on the material;
- For any pause, the jigsaw should be turned off;
- DO NOT dismantle the protective screen;
- Securely fix the processed material;
- Turn off the tool when smoke, spark and characteristic noise appears.
Features of preparing the jigsaw for work
Saw selection. One of the main parameters of high-quality sawing is a properly selected nail file. For each material, the Corresponding type of this cutting tool is provided:
- If you want to spray wood directly, you should choose a blade with medium (or large) teeth. This file can be used to cut parquet, laminate, board. It is better to use saws with a wide blade. On some models, the dust can be seen with a special icon. clean for wood. this is how manufacturers mark products for wood processing. They are easier to manage, and not Expending excessive efforts. The soft start function will help to ensure an even spray. the engine accelerates gradually, without jerking;
- For metal, it is better to take narrow dust with fine teeth. The thickness of the cut in metal is usually from 3 to 5 mm. The strongest alloys and stainless steel are easier to cut with a blade with the finest teeth. And for durable plastic and non-ferrous metals, you can choose a larger tooth size. Saws for such operations are marked with the inscription. for metal;
- Ceramics or tiles are treated with a fabric without teeth. Instead, an abrasive compound is applied to the saw, most often diamond spraying. The tool gently rounds the edges and makes a straight cut. Recognizing the canvas is not difficult. In addition to the absence of teeth, the lateral surface has a marker. special for ceramics;
- It is easiest to perform shape sawing with a narrow and thin saw with a fine tooth. Such a blade is not clamped during rotary operations, which contributes to accurate, error-free cutting. Hitachi CJ65V3 is considered one of the best tools for figured cutting. even carved furniture is too tough for this jigsaw.
How to insert pollen into a jigsaw. Correctly fixing the pollen is necessary Not only for accurate cutting, but also to prevent injury during work. Jigsaws are available with different types of saw blade mounts:
- Shoe. The most used type of clamp. The blade is inserted into the block and clamped against the stop with two screws. Tighten the screws carefully, do not skew the saw. Replacing the bluntness of the blade is just as simple. the screws are loosened, the saw is pulled out, a new one is inserted in its place.
- Screw. In such devices, the saw is placed in a clamp and tightened with one screw. The canvas changes quickly and effortlessly. The main thing in the installation is to check the angle of the inserted saw. Experts recommend NOT to tighten the screw to the limit. this will lead to excessive vibration of the blade.
- Keyless. Not universal. This mount only applies to a certain type of pollen. In addition, users have complaints about the reliability of the saw fixation. Installation and replacement of the blade is performed as follows: the lever is pulled on the clamp, the blunt blade is pulled out, a new one is inserted, snaps into place, the lever is returned to its place.
How to use a jigsaw 5 features of working with the tool
Connoisseurs of unusual design solutions are often delighted with pictures with beautiful rounded elements of furniture, stairs and structures that adorn the interior of houses. At first glance, such details are not available to ordinary users. But, having special electrical tools and learning how to work with them, you can create interesting interior things that emphasize the uniqueness and individuality of the style of the room.
One of these hand tools is a jigsaw. This article describes how to work with a jigsaw for novice craftsmen, how to set it up, choose saws and get the desired result.
How to work with a jigsaw: features and rules
When cutting straight or cutting circular holes, it is important to select the correct mode. Both the quality of cutting and the safety of the tool itself depend on this. Experienced craftsmen intuitively feel the work of the tool, but there are basic recommendations for working with various materials.
Working with wood. It seems obvious to many craftsmen how to work with a jigsaw on wood. But there are nuances. For example, for soft woods, it is better to spray at a high speed. The denser and harder the wood, the lower the speed of the saw should be. The pendulum stroke of the 1st stage should be connected when working with workpieces more than 3 cm, and if the thickness of the board is more than 5 cm, it is better to switch to the 2nd stage and higher. For example, the GRAPHITE 58G061 in pendulum mode can handle a board up to 65 mm.
Interesting fact: many models of jigsaws, for example, Sparky TH 60E, are equipped with a pendulum function. This function allows the saw to move Not only up and down, but also slightly to the sides. The multistage pendulum movement is used only for straight sawing, for oversized workpieces or large sawing volumes, when productivity is needed, and the cleanliness of the cut can be neglected. Pendulum sawing speed is dramatically increased with little loss of quality.
Metal cutting. Metal spraying is carried out at a low speed mode without the use of a pendulum mechanism. To improve the quality of the cut and reduce the loads on the tool, it is recommended to apply a special composition to the cutting line. water mixed with machine oil. In addition, it is imperative to pause in work to cool the instrument. Makita JV0600K has proven itself for such operations. you can connect a vacuum cleaner to collect sawdust.
Cutting plastic. The difficulty of sawing plastic and similar materials, such as plexiglass or textolite, lies in the fragility of the processed materials. Despite their low hardness, they can deform, crack or chip. Therefore, it is better to dust them slowly, using a fine-toothed saw.
Working with other materials. A household jigsaw is often used to cut or round tiles and ceramic tiles. Its strength is small, so the processing speed should be set low, avoiding shock loads.
In any case, when trying to cut a material whose “behavior” is unknown, you need to consider its strength, thickness and hardness. To understand how best to set up a jigsaw for this material, you need to try different modes in non-critical areas of the workpiece, and the work of various pollen.
Here you can see the key parameters of jigsaws from leading companies:
5 principle recommendations
It takes a lot of practice to get the hang of working with a jigsaw like the Bosch GST 8000E and getting smooth cuts. The main thing is not to forget about the basic features of working with this power tool. So, tips for beginners on how to work with a jigsaw correctly:
- Before any operation, you should check the serviceability of the tool. only a well-functioning device can give a smooth and high-quality cut.
- Saws Must NOT be blunt. This is checked visually. sharp peaks of the teeth indicate a good condition of the cutting blade.
- When cutting, the bottom plane of the jigsaw must fit entirely on the surface of the workpiece. This ensures a smooth cut and prevents vibration.
- Deformation of thin sheet material can be avoided by using a backing.
- It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when selecting dust and processing modes.
To better understand how to work with a jigsaw on wood, it is worth looking from experienced craftsmen.
The electrically powered jigsaw is a hand tool, however, if necessary, it can be secured using a stop bar and a parallel stop.
Sometimes you need to saw off a part covered with a layer of paint or varnish, and I really do NOT want to scratch it. For this case, a plastic shoe or self-adhesive felt is provided.
In addition to files, the tool can be equipped with rasp and grinding attachments. Thanks to the first, the corners are rounded, and with the help of the second they clean the finished product.
Some models anticipate the use of a pendulum mechanism, due to which the sawing process is accelerated. This function is good for making rough cuts, as the quality and accuracy of the cut line is reduced. When working with plastic and metal, the use of the pendulum mechanism is unacceptable.
If the purchase of two tools is not affordable, a jigsaw with the function of blowing the working area will be enough for work.
Marking is an important detail, because you need to avoid chipping on the front side of the part. Please note that chips are often formed on the side of the sheet towards the person working. Most often this applies to sheets of chipboard and fiberboard. Based on this, the markings need to be applied on the back side, and the canvas should be placed with the front side away from you.
For an accurate cut, you need to mark without allowances, and dust should be carried near the mowing line of the marking. For the convenience of work, the workpiece must be secured using a bench clamp or a saw table.
Choosing saws for a jigsaw
Saws are purchased separately and are selected depending on the material of the cutting blade and whether you need a straight or curly spray. The packaging indicates the purpose of the dust, what material they are made of, as well as the direction and size of the teeth.
What can you saw with a jigsaw?
- Wood, plywood;
Consider the types of dust for a jigsaw and determine what you can do with each of them.
- With a wide canvas. Designed for cutting the saw blade along a straight mowing line. With such a saw, you do not need to exert much effort, but only slightly adjust the direction. For a more accurate cutting line, you need to turn on the “soft start” function, in which the motor gradually picks up speed.
- Narrow saw. Needed for cutting material along a curved mowing line. To cut with maximum precision, use a tilting tool. The head turn radius depends on the selected jigsaw model.
- With coarse teeth. Their purpose. quickly gets dusty, while the quality is poor.
- Saws with fine teeth and a thin blade can cut the most complex shapes.
Working with blunt saws can lead to tool breakage due to the increased load on the jigsaw motor. And also the quality of the cut will decrease.
The electric jigsaw is designed for cutting various sheet materials. Depending on the purpose, jigsaws are:
The differences lie in the technical characteristics and functionality of the tools.
Before you learn how to use a jigsaw, you need to familiarize yourself with its device. The tool consists of:
- Aluminum body.
- Electric motor. Powerful device can spray thicker and stronger material.
- Gearbox covers.
- Pendulum stroke control buttons. The pendulum mechanism allows you to make an accurate cut of materials with a low density (soft woods, plywood, foam).
- Shrouds and brackets that ensure safe operation.
- Support roller for guiding the saw.
- Chip blowing regulator.
- Regulator of the number of strokes of the saw, on which the speed of its movement depends.
- Slab tilt adjuster. It allows you to cut wood at 15, 30, 45 and 90 degrees.
- Laser guide. Allows you to adhere to the drawn mower line for cutting.
- Keyless chuck, which acts as a saw.
- Battery, thanks to which you can cut with a jigsaw for some time without being connected to the mains.
How to prepare the instrument
It will be useful for beginners in this business to learn how to work with a jigsaw correctly, but first we will tell you in preparing the tool for use:
- The first step is to carefully study the instruction manual for electrical appliances.
- Visually assess the appearance of the device for damage: cracks, chips, cable integrity.
- Pick up dust in accordance with the quality of the material with which to work.
- Select the appropriate mode. Here are some examples: to work with soft tree species, it is necessary to set the maximum speed and apply a pendulum mechanism. If you need to spray a chipboard sheet, then leave the High speed of the cutting blade, but the pendulum mechanism will be superfluous here later, that it will contribute to the appearance of chips.
To avoid injury, you must adhere to safety precautions when working with a jigsaw: wear safety glasses and gloves.
How to use a jigsaw correctly
Every man, being a real owner, should not only have repair tools in his arsenal, but also be able to apply them in practice. It will be about one of the modern tools, namely the jigsaw. Let’s figure out what kind of device it is and how to work with it.
Tips for working with a jigsaw
To find out how to properly saw with an electric jigsaw, our tips will help:
- Stronger doesn’t mean better. This applies to the force of pressure on the device during operation. This style of sawing will break the tool. The correct use of a jigsaw is to firmly fix the device in your hand and direct the saw in the right direction.
- Vibration occurs when processing thin metal sheets. To eliminate it, you need to reduce the speed of the saw and put a sheet of plywood under the metal. When sawing such material, there is a large load on the jigsaw motor, therefore, you should periodically turn off the device so that the motor cools down.
- For high-quality and accurate cutting, you need to secure the workpiece.
- In order to avoid chipping from the bottom or top side, for example, laminated chipboard, it is necessary to select the correct dust or return the board with the right side. But if there is a need to get a spray without chips on both sides, then on top of the chipboard you need to put a small piece of the same plate and start sawing. The chip will remain on the expanded material, and the desired plate will be with a clean cut.
- To prevent chips from appearing, you can resort to this trick: glue adhesive tape along the markup.
- When sawing such fragile material as plastic, we recommend setting dust with medium teeth, turning off the pendulum mechanism and setting the saw speed to the lowest.
- In the event that it is necessary to cut out a part with a closed contour, and it is impossible to start sawing from the edge, then a hole is drilled in a convenient place, the dust of an electric jigsaw is inserted into it and the work continues.
- To cut plexiglass or non-ferrous metals, dust must be treated with machine oil.
We hope that our tips will help you, and if you have additional questions about how to use an electric jigsaw correctly, you can always watch the tutorial.
As it turned out, the jigsaw is an indispensable tool in everyday life, which even a beginner can handle. And with the right approach and work experience, you can not only make straight cuts, but also cut out various curly details for decoration.
Hand jigsaws for wood look, for the most part, the same: it is a tool made in the shape of the letter P with a wooden handle on a metal base. A saw is inserted to the base, which originates from the handle, with the help of Special clamps (they can be represented by nuts or special drums), which can be in two variations.
- With straight double teeth. Due to its length of 130 mm, where 85 mm is set aside for the working length, you can spray rather quickly Not only wood, but also plastic.
- With spiral teeth. These saws are characterized by a rounded shape, which is ideal for cutting circles and winding lines.
The U-shape contributes to the fact that a rather thin saw is fixed evenly, eliminating the possibility of its curvature and fracture during operation. In addition, due to the shape of the hand jigsaw, it maintains its balance during operation, which greatly simplifies work with it.
As for the shape of the nozzle itself (saw), it can be pointed or rectangular. Pointed ones are ideal for cutting straight lines, while rectangular ones are ideal for round shapes.
With the development of technology today, jigsaws for wood have changed significantly and are represented today by a wide range from manual to mechanical. As for the latter, they are represented by numerous types of jigsaws, which are differentiated into amateur and professional.
- Jigsaws are in special demand among consumers, which differ in the ability to cut different thicknesses of material. The hobby jigsaw cuts wood that is NOT 70 mm thick, and professional models can cut around 135 mm thick material. Such models are characterized by the lightness of the device itself and ease of use. They can be used to spray Not only wood, but also ceramics. For ease of use, models are provided, which can be powered both from the mains and from the battery.
- For people involved in construction or wood carving seriously, it is recommended Pay attention to the desktop stationary (non-portable) Jigsaw models, characterized by high power, fast cutting and ease of use. Models are endowed with a special nozzle that blows off the sawdust appearing during operation, and a specific guide for accurate carving. As for the cutting guide, jigsaws with a laser guide, the length of which reaches 25 centimeters, are in certain demand. It should be noted that not only large floor models, but also amateur jigsaws are endowed with a laser guide.
- For cutting bulky materials in large quantities, it is advisable to use a band jigsaw (circular saws), which are represented by a massive machine, which in a matter of minutes will turn the material into rails, bars and more.
- To work with decorative artistic sawing, characterized by small details or figures, hand-held so-called jewelry jigsaws were developed, which got their name from the ability to perform delicate (jewelry work). The jigsaw has miniature shapes that allow you to work even under a microscope. They are used directly for art and carpentry work.
Jigsaw for wood: types, selection and features of operation
Men, who, as they say, “with hands,” know for sure that in construction and carpentry work, one cannot do without such a tool as a jigsaw on wood, with which one can not only cut almost any material (plywood, plastic, foam, fiberboard sheets, metal), but also make decorative cuts.
Despite the development of electronics in our time, a hand-held jigsaw for wood is still in great demand, which is explained by the compactness and versatility of the device, which at the same time has a rather low price.
How to choose?
If the tool is necessary for a certain one-time job, then it is preferable to stay on inexpensive models of compact jigsaws, which are easy to use. And in order not to worry about the low-quality mechanism of a cheap mechanical jigsaw, manual models are quite suitable for one-time small works.
If a jigsaw is bought for regular work on a small scale, then you should pay attention to more powerful electrical models, which are usually more reliable.
As for reliability, the most durable are the models, the frame of which is made of a more durable metal (steel, titanium), and the models with an aluminum frame are considered more vulnerable by consumers.
An equally important factor affecting the service life is the clamping device, which can be represented by:
Selection of canvas
The blade is a replaceable element, which is represented by a string of different lengths, and the blade, which differs in the length and shape of the teeth, as well as the distance between them. For miniature work, it is worth purchasing blades with barely noticeable teeth, but teeth reaching two millimeters are suitable for cutting, for example, thick plywood. When choosing a blade, remember that the larger the teeth, the less time it will take to spray. But the smaller the teeth, the smoother and more accurate the cutting line will look. Speaking about the choice of canvas, it should be remembered that there are canvases designed for:
- Wood and substitute materials (chipboard, fiberboard),
- Metal (iron, aluminum, etc.),
- Mixed type of saw blades. it is more expedient to purchase such saws for working with plastic or plastic.
To cut metal, you will need blades with a large number of adjacent teeth. For wood, the best option is long set teeth. The structure of the teeth can be traced by the letter markings presented in the Latin alphabet (ABCD).
A is the largest indicator, and further down the alphabet, the indicator decreases. In addition, for cutting curved lines, it is preferable to choose a blade marked with an indicator O, the blade marked with P is considered more durable, which allows cutting at an angle; X is a versatile blade suitable for working with various materials. Well, the NM marking is famous for its special strength.
The above mentioned moment was thought out by the manufacturer, who developed a special marking indicating the Recommended choice of the material to be cut:
- White. wood, metal;
- Blue. thinner metal blanks;
- Red. plastic;
- Black. a versatile blade for different metals (from thinner to stronger).
Equally important is the length of the canvas, which is represented by the following numbering:
- 1. does not exceed the threshold of 75 mm;
- 2. about 90 mm;
- 3. 150 mm;
- 7. more than 150 mm in length.
For novice craftsmen who decided to get acquainted firsthand with the work of a jigsaw on wood, it is recommended to start by sawing out a simple product (squares, rectangular parts), since sawing carving requires a certain skill.
If the work is one-time and uncomplicated, then it is more advisable to purchase a manual model. When planning to start working with a manual model, you should take care of purchasing a stand (in fact, it is not difficult to make it yourself). The stand is a small rectangular bar that allows you to fix the cut blade so that it does NOT slip during work.
Well, when it is still supposed to periodically use the device in question, it will be easier to work with a jigsaw, which has a certain set of functions that can significantly simplify the thread.
experienced users can try to cut out some curly parts. To do this correctly, you will need drawings, which are applied to the canvas, only after that cutting is allowed. For THESE purposes, beginners are better off purchasing a quality electric jigsaw. over, the latest models are endowed with functions that greatly simplify the work (especially important for beginners):
- Notch speed control function;
- The function of smooth turning of the tool, which allows you to change direction or round off during cutting;
- Cut angle lock function eliminates crooked parts.
As for the more subtle profile work, here you cannot do without a manual jewelry model of a jigsaw, having mastered the work with which, it will be quite possible for practitioners to spray according to their own sketches.
It turns out that the wide assortment of Jigsaw for wood has a number of advantages in comparison with the well-known ordinary saw. This is ease of use, wide range of applications and high performance.
How to choose a jigsaw, see below.