How To Use A Lawn Mower
Choosing the right attachment
In addition to their product, the manufacturer usually provides several cutters (usually 3).
For work with soft grass, a line wound on a drum is used as a cutting element. The speed of 9000 rpm allows you to quickly work even a large lawn.
For coarser grass and thickets, you can use one of the metal knives, which differ in the number of cutting teeth.
A disc with 40 or 80 teeth is designed for mowing dense growth, reeds, young shrubs. Corn, dry weeds with thick stems can be mowed with three- and four-blade cutters.
And in order to lay the cut grass in the rolls, a knife with 8 blades is used and a special comb is attached to the scythe itself.
And now more about how to install the cutter. The attachment point of the cutter is called the gearbox. First you need to fix the curly washer on it with a hex wrench.
Then put on the knife, aligning the holes in it with the protrusion of the washer. After that, you need to install the upper figured washer on the shaft and tighten everything with a nut.
Here you should pay attention to the fact that the thread on the shaft is left-handed, so you need to tighten the nut (as well as the mowing head) counterclockwise.
The key, which is also included in the delivery set, will help to tighten the nut until it stops. You can replace the cutter by doing all the operations in reverse order.
Before starting work, you need to check all the fasteners and, if necessary, clamp them all the way. Put on the backpack belt and tighten the adjusting tightenings.
Then place the braid on a hard, flat surface and make sure that the cutter is not in contact with anything.
Then you need to set the throttle grip to the "OFF" position and the switch on the grip to the "I".
Holding the braid in a stationary position with your left hand, you need to sharply pull the starter cord with your right.
The engine may not start the first time, in which case you should try again.
If you want to start the scythe immediately after stopping the engine, then you should not close the throttle before starting.
To start the mowing process, you need to fasten the lawn mower with a carabiner to the unloading belt and, holding the trigger, start mowing using a "right-to-left" scythe motion (when using the mowing head. "left-to-right").
On the handle of the scythe next to the switch there is a button with which you can jam the trigger and operate the tool effortlessly.
In work, it is imperative to follow the safety rules and dress according to the requirements. glasses are used to protect the eyes, you need to put on boots with non-slip soles, your hands should be protected by gloves, and you can use headphones from noise.
Instructions and rules for safe work with a lawn mower. Trimmer
Table of contents:
The owners of summer cottages and country houses are familiar with the problem of maintaining their backyard territory in an aesthetic form. A lot of effort is spent on mowing the grass and mowing the lawn. Electric and petrol trimmers help to automate such processes.
Let’s take a closer look at one of these devices.
Refueling the lawn mower
To refuel the chainsaw, not pure gasoline is used, but a working mixture, which must be prepared in certain proportions.
The proportion should be 25 parts of gasoline to 1 part of oil.
It is better to mix the components in a separate container, from which, using a funnel, then pour the mixture into the fuel tank.
After filling the braids, wipe the entire surface dry in places with traces of spilled liquid.
Petrol scythe device
The weight of the entire device is about 8 kg, which is quite difficult to hold in your hands. Therefore, complete with the most oblique there is an unloading belt-backpack with a protective pad and regulators.
The scythe is designed for mowing grass and small shrubs in personal plots.
As you know, grass can be mowed in different ways. by folding it into swaths or simply by mowing. In addition, the grass can be different. soft or rough, with thick stems, shrub growth.
Step-by-step instructions on how to mow grass with a lawnmower with a disc and save fuel
It is required to start the lawn mowers mainly on the ground. Some craftsmen know how to wind up the instrument, holding it in their hands, but this is quite difficult and dangerous. After launching the tool, you can start using it. First, you should put on protective uniforms and an unloading belt. Depending on the model of the tool, the unloading belts can be carabiners or ties. If a carabiner or latch is used, then after starting the engine, the tool should be secured and started to work. If ties are used, then you need to put on the belt along with the working tool.
The belt should be balanced first. This means that despite the total weight of the tool, the mower’s hands should have a minimum load. The mower only moves the tool with his hands, and if the balancing is not done, then there will be rapid fatigue during work. All weight should be on the shoulders of the worker.
When the tool is ready for use, the instructions for mowing grass with a lawn mower are as follows:
- You need to make movements to the right and left slowly, while holding the trimmer at the same distance from the ground
- The mower’s movements should be unhurried (half a step). Experts call the movement of the mower duck steps
- The biggest challenge newbies face is keeping the RPM steady. The speed during the mowing process should be changed, depending on the density of the vegetation. If the grass is young, then it does not need to work at full capacity to cut it.
- The mower must feel the work of the tool. If the scythe cannot handle the grass, you need to increase the speed. At the same time, it is not recommended to use the tool constantly at full speed.
- Experts have developed such an optimal mode of mowing grass with petrol trimmers. in one direction you need to increase the speed above average (almost full throttle), and when the lawn mower is moved back, the gas is released, taking a step forward. This method is relevant for cases when it is necessary to carefully lay the grass in swaths.
Often among lawn mowers there are disputes about how to mow with a trimmer correctly, whether it is necessary to release the gas or whether it is better to work in a constant mode. We will understand these issues in detail.
- There is an opinion that it is better to mow with a lawn mower in one speed setting. This opinion is not correct. Operating at the same power not only increases fuel consumption, but also increases wear on parts. The gas release during the reverse movement of the tool is useful, since during this period the motor is cooled, as well as the CPG is lubricated. Gas discharge leads to the overlap of the throttle valve, as a result of which the fuel passes through the XX channel, and thereby the parts are lubricated
- Gas discharge allows not only mowing the grass, but also neatly placing it in swaths. Moving the tool in one direction allows you to mow, while the reverse movement creates a roll
- The disc only moves in one direction, so it just makes no sense to keep the tool at constant speed when moving in the opposite direction.
- Throttle release causes the cutting disc to coast to the crankshaft, and coasting is always beneficial
If you mow with a lawn mower in one speed setting (this is usually done by beginners), this will be reflected in an increase in fuel consumption and engine overheating. For comparison, you can imagine the work of a chainsaw. The sawman gives maximum speed only when necessary, but when the tree is cut down, the chainsaw works at XX, thereby cooling it down.
How to attach a disc or line to a trimmer
The cutter is attached to the executive body. The attachment point is called the gearbox. It is not difficult to cope with the task of installing a disc or coil. The principle of fastening the cutting discs to the trimmer is as follows:
- Initially, the shaped washer is fixed by using a hex wrench
- Install the disc on the shaft
- Then install the upper washer, then tighten it using the fastening nut
- It is necessary to rotate the nut using a special socket wrench, which usually comes with each tool.
- Nut rotation is counterclockwise
- When rotating, it is necessary to wedge the shaft with a hex wrench
Removal and replacement of the trimmer disc is carried out in the opposite sequence. For more information on how to attach a line reel to your lawn mower, see this resource.
Instructions on how to use the gasoline trimmer learning how to start the tool
Before using the tool, it must be started initially. How to start a lawn mower, we will consider in detail. To begin with, the tool should be placed on a flat surface so that the disc attached to the shaft does not catch on anything. After that, we proceed to start the engine of the lawn mowers:
- Initially, you should pump fuel into the starting system. To do this, press the primer 4-5 times (soft hemisphere on the carburetor)
- Then turn the carburetor switch to the "OFF" mode. This switch is responsible for opening and closing the air damper. Turning the switch to "OFF" mode allows you to make the fuel mixture richer during startup.
- There is a switch on the handle near the accelerator. He is responsible for turning the ignition on and off. Before starting, you need to turn the ignition switch to mode "1"
- Now you can start. To do this, hold the tool with one hand and pull the starter handle with the other. If the scythe engine does not start the first time, then do not despair. Start attempts must be made until the engine starts. This usually requires 2-3 reps.
- If, after 5 repetitions, the engine does not start, then the fuel suction should be repeated with a primer, and start again.
- Once the engine starts, turn the choke switch to ON. This means that a mixture of fuel and air enters the cylinder.
- Let the tool idle for 15-30 seconds while the engine is warming up, after which you can start mowing
The above instructions for starting a lawn mower engine and trimmers are appropriate for a cold start. If the tool paused during operation, there is no need to close the throttle valve when restarting the engine that has not cooled down. You just need to turn on the ignition, and pull the starter handle.
Getting to know the instrument
The question of how to mow correctly with a lawn mower and trimmer is mainly asked by beginners who have recently acquired these tools. Before starting work, it is recommended to know the design and device of the lawn mower. The main structural elements of the considered tools include:
- 2-stroke gasoline engine. There are tools with 4-stroke engines, the disadvantage of which is their heavy weight
- Fuel tank. a container for storing diluted gasoline with oil
- Reducer. a transmission mechanism by means of which torque is transmitted from the engine shaft to the executive body
- Starter. petrol engine starting device
- The bar is a rigid base that connects the engine to the working body
In addition to gasoline trimmers, manufacturers also produce electric and battery analogs. The main disadvantage of gasoline units in comparison with electric and battery units is their large mass. The weight of petrol-type trimmers reaches 8-10 kg (4-stroke), which depends primarily on the power. To simplify the operation of the tool, manufacturers supplement their units with special belts, which are also called unloading belts.
Knowing the design of the tool is necessary in order to learn how to work correctly. Unlike electric and battery-powered counterparts, petrol trimmers need not only be able to mow the grass, but also start the engine.
Instructions on how to mow grass with a lawn mower and trimmer
With the onset of spring, vegetation appears on summer cottages and backyards of private houses, which must be dealt with. If it is ornamental vegetation, then it must be mowed with a lawn mower, and lawn mowers and trimmers are used to mow weeds and large thickets. These are prototypes of hand braids that require some skill to use. How to mow with a lawn mower according to the instructions, not many experts know. If you are asking yourself this question, then it’s time to understand the rules of mowing.
Filling lawn mowers with petrol and oil
The tool must be filled with fuel before mowing with the lawn mower. Gasoline with oil is used as fuel. However, keep in mind that you only need to mix gasoline with oil for two-stroke engines. Four-stroke engines run on pure gasoline, since their design has a separate container. an oil sump. There is no oil sump in the design of 2-stroke petrol trimmers, so only gasoline and oil should be poured into the tank.
It is recommended to use AI-92 fuel as gasoline. In order not to make a mistake in choosing, you need to read the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Often, most manufacturers recommend using AI-92 fuel, and only a few recommend using AI-95.
Gasoline must be diluted with a small amount in a ratio of 1 to 25. This means that 40 ml of two-stroke oil must be added to 1 liter of gasoline. However, not everything is so simple here either. The proportion of 1 to 25 is universal, but there are different values for each instrument model. These values are also indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions. For more information on how to properly dilute gasoline and oil in a lawn mower, see here. After diluting gasoline with oil, fill the tank full, and start working.
Petrol trimmer care
Proper care of the instrument is the key to its durability and reliability. So, it is worth periodically cleaning the gearbox, fuel and air filters. The oil must be changed after every 50 hours of operation, the spark plugs after 100 hours. It is best to clean the air filter and sharpen the cutting element after every three working hours. In the event of a long (more than 30 days) operational break, it is necessary to drain the gasoline or the fuel mixture from the tank, and then dry the container. The same process is carried out before the winter storage of the apparatus. Also at the end of the season it is useful to clean the filters, remove the cutting element (by the way, it is better to put the knife in oiled paper to avoid corrosion), lubricate the shaft. The lawn mower should be stored in a dry, ventilated area during the winter. At the same time, you cannot put the device in a film. moisture will condense on it, which ultimately will lead to the appearance of rust on the metal elements of the device structure. It is much better to use a thick cloth.
The most frequently replaced parts of a petrol trimmer are, of course, the knives and cutting heads. When choosing an element, follow the instructions for use and do not purchase an accessory with an outer diameter exceeding the maximum allowable for a particular model. The purchase of such an accessory is justified if you have to deal with tough weeds or large amounts of mowing (for example, when harvesting feed for livestock). If the lawnmower is supposed to be used mainly for periodic maintenance of a lawn with low soft grass, then it makes sense to pay attention to the fishing line. Makita reels can be divided into three main categories based on feed type:
- Manual. with significant line wear, the engine stops, and the length of the ends is increased manually.
- Semi-automatic. the lengthening of the working part is made by pressing the coil to the ground. A special button located on the bottom of the accessory opens the anchor mechanism and the line moves out to the sides due to centrifugal force. There is no need to stop the engine.
- Automatic. the line feed is carried out with increasing speed. The most convenient, but also the most expensive type of coils.
One way or another, the choice of reel or knife must be made based on compatibility with the existing trimmer model.
How to use the Makita lawn mower
A lawn mower (or gasoline trimmer) is one of the most useful tools for owners of a summer cottage or a country house. The use of such devices saves time and effort when caring for the site. In order for the lawn mowers to be efficient and safe, there are some simple rules to follow.
. Refueling and starting Makita lawn mowers.
Just before starting, check the oil level and top up if necessary. If dirt has got into the oil or its color has changed noticeably, then a complete replacement is required. When filling, it is important not to exceed the maximum level: this can lead to white smoke or contamination of the lubricant and subsequent damage to the motor. Refueling must be done with extreme caution, observing several rules:
- Operations may only be carried out outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Unleaded motor gasoline recommended for use is considered to be susceptible to vapor emission, which may ignite.
- Under no circumstances should you smoke while refueling. It is also worth taking care that there are no sources of open fire nearby.
- The use of a mixture of gasoline and engine oil is prohibited unless otherwise specified in the lawn mower‘s operating instructions. This can lead to carbon deposits and subsequent mechanical damage to the engine.
- Do not spill fuel on clothing, exposed parts of the body or into the soil, as this can negatively affect the environment.
After the tool is prepared and tested, you can run it. If the mower is being started for the first time, it must be run in within 5 hours. All this time, the device is used in a sparing mode, and after the end of the break-in period, the oil must be changed. On further starts, the engine can be used at maximum power. When working, it is recommended to make movements with the lawn mower to the right and left. Mowing tall grass or tough weeds is best done in two steps: cut the top of the grass with the first movement, and the bottom with the opposite one.
Preparation for work.
If the instrument is stored disassembled, it must be reassembled. The assembly process is described in detail in the instructions supplied with the device. In general, the preparation of the device for operation is as follows:
- Connecting the rod to the motor;
- Installing the handle;
- Fastening the protective cover to the rod;
- Installation of a cutting element (which can be a knife or a spool of line) and a shoulder strap.
Before use, be sure to check the presence and proper condition of all components of the device. For example, there should be no dents or cracks on the cutting equipment; a deformed accessory must be replaced immediately. The fuel system must be free of leaks. The shoulder strap adjusts to suit the operator’s height, otherwise the work will result in severe fatigue. Belt tension should be adjusted with the engine off.
The screwdriver comes with several types of bits with different shapes of the working edge.
Bits with a straight edge are designed to work with fasteners that have one slot (slot). A suitable bit is selected depending on its length and depth.
Similarly, the shape of the cross-shaped bit is selected. here the width of the slot and the size of the fastener head itself are taken into account. For reliable operation, the edge of the bit must fit tightly into the slots, otherwise there is a possibility of "licking" the edges of the slots.
To attach the bit to the cartridge, a special attachment with a magnetized holder is used, which prevents the structure from disintegrating and reliably holds the bit in a variety of positions.
To fix the bit with the bat you need to unscrew the movable part of the chuck.
Insert the nozzle and screw in the chuck until it stops.
There are also very convenient double-sided bits that can be fixed in a chuck without a nozzle.
Usually, such a tool is sold in special cases, where each part has its own place.
The drill itself consists of a main tool and a removable battery, which is recharged from the household electrical network.
For charging, a special charger is used, which comes with the kit.
Setting the torque
The drill has an adjusting ring for setting the torque, on which its values are applied.
This is necessary in order to set the most suitable value when working with materials with different hardness.
For example, for screwing self-tapping screws into drywall (with little effort), a range of values of 2-4 is suitable, and for hard wood, the torque can be set to the maximum number on the ring.
This adjustment helps to avoid quick damage to the fastener splines.
This allows you to stop the tool in time when the self-tapping screw or screw is fully tightened.
Battery Charging Procedure
It is necessary to insert the battery into the device, while observing the polarity (the corresponding signs "" and "-" are affixed to both the battery and the device), i.E. Plus is combined with plus, and minus with minus.
A glowing red diode on the device panel indicates that the charging process is in progress. This procedure lasts from 3 to 5 hours.
During the charging process, the battery and the device itself may heat up, which is not an indicator of a malfunction.
Chuck rotation direction
In the construction of the drill. The screwdriver has a push-type switch with which you can change the direction of rotation of the chuck for tightening or unscrewing the fasteners.
There is a direction mark on either side of the tool next to this switch. By pressing the switch, you can reverse.
It must be remembered that the direction of rotation can be changed only when the electric motor is completely stopped.
The drill chuck can be replaced if necessary. It must be borne in mind that it is fixed with a screw with a left-hand thread and therefore you need to unscrew it clockwise.
This screw can be accessed through the front of the chuck.
The tool kit also includes a set of drills of different diameters. All are designed to work in relatively soft materials.
The drills are clamped in the chuck in the same way as the bit attachment. (See photo above)
Freezing of the battery is not allowed.
How to use a screwdriver drill. Instruction. Photo.
Table of contents:
The cordless drill / screwdriver is a must-have tool for any home DIYer. Its versatility allows you to easily perform work both for twisting and unscrewing various types of fasteners (screws, self-tapping screws, screws), as well as drilling holes.
Let’s look at how the drill-driver works and understand the attachments and accessories.
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- The rains have passed, and the grass has grown greatly;
- There is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- You need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawn mower (uneven soil, near bushes or trees).
If the grass is too tall. more than 15 cm, then the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
Why mow the grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If the weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any area into a wild field. Weeds reproduce not only by seeds, but also by rhizomes. Thus, it will take a lot of time to remove some types of vegetation.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy uninvited flora that grows next to useful plants using chemical means.
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to mow the grass. To use your time rationally, you need to choose the right mowing tool:
- You need to mow with a lawn mower on a flat large area. a lawn or a recreation area;
- It is convenient to use the trimmer in any area if the grass height is from 5 to 10 cm.
- Oblique mows tall grass or vegetation on uneven ground.
When choosing a tool, it must be remembered that the older the braid, the better metal was used to make it. Modern braids are significantly inferior in quality to Soviet ones. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
How to properly mow the grass: technique
A good mowing is ensured by a well-selected working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of the beating is to prevent the blade from dulling quickly when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- Initial position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the torso will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the trunk is slightly turned to the left.
- The sweep of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- The sweeps are not wide; arms move like pendulums. from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- The swings are smooth. there should be no tension in the hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- For comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- When the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes the cuttings and folds them to the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight and the width must not change. : how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- Lean the braid on the ground, while the blade and block should be in your hands;
- The tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- The upper one is sharpened with a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- The lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
Where and when they mow the grass
The grass must be cut as it grows. Intense vegetation growth occurs at the end of April. May, especially after rains.
The cut grass must be immediately removed from the site, as unharvested parts of the plants can grow on wet ground. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of the vegetation. If you do not start growth, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat, do not mow the lawn too low. the grass will start to burn out.
The last mowing on the lawns is in October.
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed during movement (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings the supporting leg forward.
- The swing consists of two techniques: the tool moves to the right, then a return movement to the left. The blade cuts the plants. Try to grab no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 strokes, step forward with the left foot.
- Again 2 swings and a step forward with the right foot.
- Do not slouch as your back muscles will get tired and you will not be able to work for long.
- Watch your breathing technique. Take your time, just try to do the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen a braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and must be handled with care, especially if there are other people around you. Also, do not get distracted while mowing, so as not to injure the slanting leg.