How to Use a Wood Sander
An excellent tool for people engaged in the repair or manufacture of furniture is a wood sander. This practical and convenient tool can help update the wood paneling, quickly repair the old floor, and tidy the interior.
Types of wood grinding machines
Unfortunately, there are practically no universal tools that can help a carpenter in any situation. When processing workpieces with a complex configuration, it is necessary to select a separate device for each specific operation. In the simplest cases, even an angle grinder with a nozzle can help out the master. If you are seriously engaged in the production of wood products, then you need to be able to understand the intricacies of operation and the design of grinding machines for wood of different models.
Varieties of grinders for wood:
- Belt grinding machine.
- Vibrating instrument.
- Brush hand grinder for wood.
- Renovators are tools with increased functionality and many nozzles for polishing, cleaning, trimming, creating slots and grinding.
- Eccentric sander.
Wood belt sander
These practical devices have a rectangular surface and work on the principle of a planer. A belt sander is more often used in the initial stages: cleaning the old paintwork and primary processing of the board. The tool is equipped with a nozzle for removing debris, to which the bag is attached or a vacuum cleaner is connected. The tape is fixed on the sole; when turned on, it starts to rotate at the speed set by the master.
Wood Sanding Brush
In functional tools of this type, the working part is not a sandpaper, but a coarse metal brush. Use it to prepare furniture facades at the initial stages of repair, remove unnecessary coatings, and process large areas (parquet, floor from the board). The device is not suitable for fine polishing. The brush grinder is often used by manufacturers of retro items to age wood.
Wood Vibratory Sander
Polishing or grinding on such convenient manual equipment is carried out using a sandpaper attached to a flat working sole. When turned on, the working tool produces reciprocating oscillations with a frequency of up to 25,000 rpm. The working amplitude is up to 5 mm and is selected by the joiner depending on the type of processing. For example, with fine polishing, the vibratory grinding machine operates with an amplitude of 1.5-3 mm. The power of this type of grinder is 150-600 watts.
Wood Random Orbital Sander
The orbital trajectory of the working tool allows for finer operations in comparison with tape devices. The eccentric sander for wood has a round sole for mounting removable disks with different grain sizes or felt circles with a diameter of up to 150 mm. The speed reaches 13,000 rpm. The power of eccentric devices is up to 650 W, the oscillation speed is 24000. The devices are equipped with waste and dust removal through holes in the working sole.
Wood angle grinder
The second name for such devices is delta sanders. They work on a vibrational principle, but have functional features. The triangular shape of the working part resembles the sole of a household iron and allows you to process hard-to-reach “dead zones” that are always formed when working with a rectangular or round nozzle. Angle grinder has a low speed, but allows for high-quality polishing. Small triangular nozzles are used on renovators to process small protrusions, corners and notches.
Video: How to Use a Wood Sander
How to choose a wood sanding machine?
The presence of several varieties of grinders makes it difficult to purchase a tool for the layman. In the task of choosing a grinding machine for wood, there are many difficulties. It is necessary to be guided not only by attractive value or sweet speeches in beautiful advertising leaflets, but also take into account the specific conditions of the upcoming work.
Criteria for choosing a wood sanding machine for the home:
- For large volumes of polishing work, get a professional tool.
- For rough rough surface machining, a simple and productive wood belt sander is suitable.
- Fine polishing of decorative products is best done with eccentric grinders.
- In closed rooms it is undesirable to process wood with a tool without dust collectors.
- Products with batteries are useful for outdoor applications where connecting the device to the network is problematic.
- A manual grinding machine should have convenient handles, simple and reliable mode switches, and relatively light weight.
Sanding paper for grinding machine
The choice of high-quality polishing wheels or tapes is an important issue. If there is a wood grinding machine for the floor or other tasks, then you need to be able to choose a consumable. A fabric-based abrasive skin capable of withstanding significant loads is suitable for machine processing. The degree of granularity is determined by marking. The smaller the number, the coarser the material. If P22-P36 is used for peeling and preliminary work, then P280 is used for finishing. Consider the main options for the execution of sandpaper for household grinders:
- Sanding belts. released in the form of "endless" and firmly glued belts. Used on tape devices and looping machines.
- Velcro round skin.
- Triangular segments with holes. for angle grinders.
- Coiled abrasive paper in large bobbins. With such material, a vibrating wood type grinding machine or hand tools work. If necessary, the workpiece of the required length is cut from the tape and fastened in the tool holder.
- Rectangular sheet skin. ready to install sandpaper, cut to standard sizes.
Wood Sanding Machine Rating
Popular hand sanders are now produced by many companies. It is better to get acquainted with quality manufacturers on the eve of the purchase, so that the home tool does not fail the master at the most inopportune moment. A small rating of different types of grinders will help you navigate the market:
- Hyundai O 350. Orbital type device with a proprietary 350 W engine. Frequency 5000-12000 rpm, amplitude. up to 3 mm, circle diameter 125 mm, 6 speeds, rubber non-slip coating of the case.
- Makita BO504. The Makita wood sander has a capacity of 300 watts and has a capacious dust collector. Frequency 12000 rpm, amplitude 3 mm, weight 1.4 kg.
- Metabo bae 75. The device is a tape type, the speed of the tape is 240-450 m / min, the dimensions of the tapes used are 533×75 mm. The power of the device is 1010 W, there is a function of supporting constant revolutions.
- Bosch PBS 75 AE. Tape type machine, power 650 W, belt width 75 mm, weight 6.5 kg. There is a speed control, dust collection system.
- Dewalt DWE6411. Surface grinding low-noise machine with a power of 230 W, with a frequency of 200 Hz, the sole stroke of 1.6 mm, weight 1.28 kg.
- Makita BO371. Surface grinding device with a power of 190 W, excellent vibration absorption, vibration frequency 300 Hz, sole stroke 2 mm, weight 1.6 kg.
Do-it-yourself sanding machine for wood
It is difficult to construct a powerful portable mechanism for grinding from improvised materials, but you can make a small tool for processing small parts. The simplest homemade sanding machine for wood is assembled as follows:
- As a working tool on such a device, you can even use a champagne cork glued with an abrasive tape.
- A mini sanding machine for wood consists of a small motor, a switch and a battery of size “Krona”.
- The case is made of foam.
- When assembling the nodes for fastening, we use insulation tape.
How to use a wood sander?
To obtain an acceptable quality of processing, not to be injured or break the device, you must follow the instructions. Basic rules on how to use the device for grinding:
- Do not plug the grinder into a power outlet while the toggle switch is on.
- Do not press hard on the appliance.
- When processing wood, move the grinder at a constant speed.
- Replace a worn ribbon in time.
- When processing small parts, you need to fix the grinder on the table, and bring the workpieces to the tape.
- Be sure to use glasses, gloves and a respirator.