How to Use Al-Ko Gasoline Lawn Mower
Mechanical (spindle) lawn mower
This is the oldest version of lawn mowers, which is driven mechanically. The design consists of two large wheels, between which a static knife is mounted on the bottom, and a rotating drum with steel blades (spindle) on top. When the mower is set in motion, the wheels begin to rotate forward, transmitting movement to the drum. The spindle blades at the same time capture the tufts of grass, press them to the lower static knife and cut to the desired height. In the design of mechanical machines (as in more modern versions of lawn mowers with engines), it is possible to adjust the cutting height from 1 to 5 cm. Depending on the model, a mechanical lawn mower mows a strip 30-45 cm wide in one pass.
Mechanical lawn mower device
When working with a mechanical machine, it is not necessary to use either consumables (gasoline, oil) or a source of energy (electricity). Only a little physical effort is needed to move the tool, however, thanks to the wheels, it is very easy to do (even a child can handle most models). In addition, the unit is completely silent and ready to work in all weather conditions.
[include title = "YAN – in the text"]
Mechanical equipment is great for tidy parterre lawns, as it cuts the grass as carefully as possible and allows you to get the highest quality mowing. When working with such a lawn mower, you do not have to inhale gas vapors or carry an electric cord. Also, your household will not be disturbed by the rumble of a running engine, even if you decide to arrange a lawn mowing in the early morning. It is worth noting that, along with advantages, mechanical models also have their drawbacks – limitations in the field of application. Spindle lawn mowers are suitable for tidy, well-groomed areas. They are not designed to control weeds and thick overgrown stems. If a bunch of thick stems fall between the knives, then you will have to make significant efforts to turn the blades and cut the grass. Of course, you can first trim the grown grass with a trimmer, and then finish the job with a spindle tool, but it’s better not to start the lawn.
Mowed grass in a spindle mower
A mechanical lawn mower is the cheapest way to keep a lawn in order, but far from the worst. Many experts in landscape design believe that mechanical equipment is better than others for caring for a young lawn, as it damages the delicate grass least of all.
A gas mower differs from a mechanical machine, first of all, by the presence of a gas engine. Gasoline engines installed in lawn mowers are domestic (power 3.5-7 l / s, service life – 500-700 hours) and professional (resource – more than 1000 hours).
It is recommended to use a gas mower in large areas, as it is characterized by high performance and reliability. In addition, it is characterized by a large mowing width, which allows to process a significant part of the area at a time.
[include title = "YAN – in the text"]
Among the shortcomings of a gas mower, it is worth noting the heavy weight, noisy engine operation and the need for periodic refueling. In addition, when the mower is started, caustic gases are released, which negatively affects human health and the ecology of the site. It is possible to refuel such a machine only in specially designated places, and not directly on the lawn. Otherwise, if drops of gasoline accidentally get on the grass, you can cause significant damage to it and bald spots form on the lawn. Most gasoline models are started manually by a sharp jerk of the starter cord, so it will be difficult for women to cope with such a tool. There are other devices that can be launched using the starter with one touch, but you need to pay for all the additional useful features and this pleasure is no exception.
Electric Lawn Mowers
Electric lawn mowers have low power and performance, so they are recommended for use in small areas. Another feature of this type of gardening equipment is its dependence on electricity and, as a result, the power cable. Particular attention must be paid to its length, since the mower can only work in the place where its "leash" reaches. Using the power cable is not very convenient, as you have to periodically shift it when moving the lawn mower and make sure that it is not accidentally damaged.
Modern electric lawn mower
Electric lawn mowers are relatively quiet and lightweight, which makes their operation as comfortable as possible. Another indisputable advantage is the absence of harmful emissions, which makes them completely safe for the environment.
Unlike mechanical or gasoline units, electric mowers do not tolerate moisture, so working with them in any weather will not work. If the grass is wet, this can lead not only to a breakdown of the apparatus, but also to electric shock. Therefore, if you have doubts about the dryness of the grass (for example, morning dew lies on it), put rubber boots on your feet before mowing, which will protect you from accidental electric shock.
In the event that your lawn is not too large and there is no point in buying a gasoline unit, however, you don’t feel like carrying a power cable, feel free to buy a cordless lawn mower. This machine will work anywhere in the area and even beyond until the batteries are discharged. Using such a machine is as simple as simple – it is enough to charge batteries with enough energy to mow an area of up to 300 m 2. Cordless lawn mowers are much more convenient than ordinary electric mowers, so the price policy of such devices is slightly higher.
Battery Lawn Mower Selection
Important parameters: what to look for?
Thinking about how to choose a lawn mower, you should pay attention not only to the way it works, but also to other important parameters that make it easier to work with this garden equipment.
Video: How to Use Al-Ko Gasoline Lawn Mower
1. Lawn mower deck (housing)
The larger the body of the lawn mower, the correspondingly the greater the mowing width. This can be decisive when choosing if you are the owner of a large ground lawn. In addition, the deeper the deck, the more powerful the air flow is able to form in it. Thanks to this, the grass almost without loss gets into the grass catcher without getting enough sleep on the lawn.
2. Knives and blades
The wider the knife and blades, the more powerful airflow they create in the body of the lawn mower. Pay attention that the knife is well sharpened – the quality of the lawn mowing depends on this.
3. The presence of three cutting modes
Modern lawnmower models can mow grass in three ways. In the first case, the mowing is done by throwing the grass to the side or back. The disadvantage of this option is that after mowing, the discarded grass must be collected manually to give the lawn a neat appearance. In the second case, the mowed grass is transported to the grass catcher and accumulates there. The collected grass can then be sent to a compost pit or to pet food. And finally, in the third case, mulching occurs – grinding and even scattering of mowed grass on the lawn. When purchasing a lawn mower, give preference to a model that supports all 3 mowing modes.
4. Lawn mower wheels
It is best to purchase a model with the widest and largest wheels. They will allow you to apply less effort when moving the mower. In addition, such wheels damage grass less.
Grass catchers can be hard (plastic) and soft (fabric). Rigid products are easier to wash and pour grass out of, and fabric items are easier to store. However, in lawn mowers with rigid grass catchers, trouble often occurs – cracks in the container are clogged with grass particles and ventilation is disturbed. As a result of reduced airflow, problems may arise with the release of grass into the grass catcher. Due to this feature of plastic grass catchers, manufacturers do not make the volume of such products more than 35 liters. Accordingly, in all high-performance models, fabric grass catchers with a volume of up to 90 liters are installed.
The advantage of gas mowers
The main competitors for gas mowers are electric mowers. The advantage of gasoline lawn mowers, in relation to electric, is as follows:
- Independent of availability of power source
- They have a more powerful engine that allows you to work on large lawn sizes
- More maneuverable, as Do not have an electric cable that will trail behind and cling to all obstacles.
- With a gas mower you can even mow ordinary, tougher grass
- Cheaper to maintain (although they break more often)
Despite this, gasoline lawn mowers have several significant disadvantages, namely:
- Make noise
- Assume additional material costs for fuels and lubricants (fuels and lubricants)
- Emission of harmful emissions into the atmosphere
- More often requires repair and maintenance
- The engine is designed in such a way that when working with a gas mower on the hills cooler than 25 °, the oil stops entering the lubrication channels of the rubbing parts, as a result of which the mower can break.
Types of gas mowers
Gas mower design
There are several varieties of gasoline lawn mowers, namely:
By type of engine:
- Household (for a plot of up to 8 acres, with a motor resource of 500 hours and having a power of up to 5 hp)
- Semi-professional (for a site up to 18 hundred parts, with a motor resource of 700 operating hours and having a power of up to 7 hp)
- Professional (for sites of any size, with a motor resource of 1000 engine hours, with a capacity of over 7 hp)
- With a width of 42-28 cm. Suitable for plots with an area of not more than 8 acres.
- With a width of 51-53 cm. Suitable for areas up to 18 acres.
By type of grass catcher:
- With fabric grass catcher (for high-powered units). Dignity – well filled. The disadvantage is that it is difficult to clean.
- With plastic grass catcher. The advantage is ease of care. The disadvantage is poor filling of the container.
- With combined grass catcher (plastic cloth). Advantages – ease of care, well filled.
By functional features:
- The mowed grass is sent to the grass catcher. Such types of gasoline lawn mowers do not have more important functions – mulching and lateral ejection of mowed grass.
- Mulch the soil with mowed grass. Mowed grass is additionally crushed in the deck of the unit and laid with a thin mulching layer on the lawn. These lawn mowers have an exit under a grass catcher and a stub.
- Side discharge of mowed grass. It is used when servicing large areas of the lawn.
To adjust the height of mowing the lawn:
- Individual adjustment. Each unit wheel has a separate mowing height adjustment lever.
- Central adjustment. The adjustment lever simultaneously controls the entire cutting height.
- Screw adjustment. The most simple and inconvenient way to adjust the cutting height, in which the height is set manually when moving the wheel axis up / down.
By type of movement:
- Self-propelled. It has a drive that allows you to automatically move a gas mower. The main thing is to direct to the mowing area.
- Not self-propelled. The movement of the unit is carried out manually.
By type of drive:
- Front-wheel drive lawn mower. It is more maneuverable and is used on flat areas.
- Rear wheel drive lawn mower. Used when mowing grass in hilly areas, as more stable when driving with a load on the rear wheels (driving uphill).
Guidelines for choosing a gas mower yourself
Almost all the advantages and disadvantages of various types of gasoline lawn mowers we have provided above, in a brief description. But still I would like to draw your attention to some design features of gasoline lawn mowers, which should be considered when buying a unit.
So, professional gardeners provide you with the following recommendations for choosing a gas mower:
- When buying a gas mower, pay attention to the diameter of the wheels. The larger the diameter, the more maneuverable the unit will be, and therefore the mowing process is more comfortable.
- The mower deck must be aluminum. In this case, the mower itself will be lighter, more resistant to mechanical damage and the formation of corrosion.
- If you choose a machine that is not powerful enough, the grass catcher should be plastic, because it will be more convenient to clean the container from grass.
- Give preference to lawn mowers with folding rubber handles. They are easier to transport and vibrations from the engine will be less felt.
- The mowing height should be adjusted by the central lever, this is more convenient and will allow a more even mowing of the lawn throughout the area.
- Pay attention to the executive organ of the lawnmower – the knife. It should be sharp and preferably broad. In this design, the lawn mowers will cut grass better.
- Choose a gas mower with wheels on the bearings, as conventional plastic sleeves fail faster and are less resistant to mechanical damage.
- We can not say about engine power. Based on the area of your site, choose an engine with a power reserve so that you can mow grass in any weather. We draw your attention to the fact that self-propelled lawn mowers take away part of the engine power for driving, this also needs to be taken into account.
- Give preference to lawn mower manufacturers such as Honda, Hitachi, Craftsman, Viking, MTD, Stihl, Husqvarma, Stiga, Makita, etc. Pay attention to the manufacturer of the gas mower engine, Briggs are the leaders & Stratton and Honda.
That’s all the recommendations for choosing a gasoline lawn mower with your own hands! We draw your attention to the fact that if you change the oil and sharpen knives in a timely manner, the gasoline unit will serve you long and carefree!