How to Wind a Fishing Line onto a Trimmer Coil: Refuel, Which is Better, Change
How to wind the fishing line in the trimmer, and what to do if the fishing line is quickly consumed, breaks
The trimmer is the most common unit used for cutting grass and cutting small bushes. This unit is notable for its ease of maintenance, simple operation during operation, and even women can cope with it due to its low weight.
It is no secret that for the high-quality performance of mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the last in trimmers, special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with fishing line inside are used.
Nozzles and fishing line is a consumable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the fishing line is used, it needs to be replaced. In this article, we will describe in as much detail as possible how to replace the fishing line correctly.
Types of Trimmer Heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a reel (bobbin) with a fishing line (cord) tucked into it is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the method of filling and feeding the cord and there are 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feeding is performed after the user reduces engine speed. Although automatic feeding of fishing line is convenient if large volumes of work are performed, such bobbins have one drawback. high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of head does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their work is arranged so that the cord is automatically extended at a time when the device is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly tap the trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the fishing line is pulled out of the bobbin by centrifugal force, and then cut to the desired length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Tame. To lengthen the cord requires stopping the machine, after which the fishing line is pulled by hand.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be noted that the coils for the trimmer are single-string (used only for trimming grass) and double-string, which are used to mow tall grass and small, with thin stems of shrubs.
How to remove and disassemble the coil
Before starting the process of replacing the cord, users of trimmers need to remove and disassemble the coil. Consider how to do this.
The mowing head of the trimmer consists of several parts: a casing, springs (not on all models), bobbins with cord and covers.
In trimmers, 2 options for attaching the mowing head are most often used.
Option number 1
To remove the trimmer head, it will need to be completely disassembled.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides of it.
- After removing the cover, you will see the spool, which must be removed from the housing. In some coils, a spring is installed under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- After removing the bobbin, in the center of the case you will see a screw with a slot for a Phillips or flat head screwdriver. It is possible that there may be a bolt under the hexagon or nozzle “asterisk”.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, swinging it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
Option number 2
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in such trimmers, for example, in Huter and Champion devices, a hole is provided through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 simple steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head housing and start twisting it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
Fishing line winding algorithm
Depending on which trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the fishing line are selected. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It is not difficult to guess that the thicker you fill the cord, the more rigid and thick grass it can cut.
There are 3 ways to find out what diameter of fishing line can be used on your mower.
- View information about the thickness of the cord in the instructions for the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. It can be marked with information about the possible diameters of the fishing line.
- Insert the fishing line into the outlet. If it easily passes into it, then a cord of this diameter can be used.
The line is wound on a reel located in the mowing head. Therefore, you must first open it (this was discussed above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
In order to correctly determine how many meters of fishing line is needed for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on a bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the fishing line peeks over the edges of the reel, you cannot insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be loaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by the central side, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, with a little effort.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound around the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be carried out carefully, coil to coil, with maximum thread tension.
- After laying the cord is completed, you will need to first fix the short end of the fishing line, inserting it into a suitable diameter groove on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is authentic, is mounted in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving allowances of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install a seasoned coil in the mowing head. To do this, by inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet openings of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, and then, after applying the required force, pull the fishing line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with latches.
In some coils, a second way of securing the cord is provided: 2 pieces of thread can be charged, instead of one folded in half. Replacing the fishing line occurs according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or charging a new thread into a bobbin, determine how many meters it will be required in the manner described above.
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- Locate the hole at the bottom of the bobbin to secure the fishing line, and insert the end of the thread bent in the loop into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the diameter of the coil.
- Do the same for the second bobbin slot.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method that was given when refueling the bobbin with a doubled piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil brand motor scythes, there is a very simple and quick way to replace the fishing line without disassembling the mowing head, which can be viewed by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- turning on the trimmer (during rotation, the ends of the fishing line will be cut about a knife fixed for this purpose on the protective cover);
- by cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the housing body.
The second method is used if it was necessary to put a cord of large diameter, and a cutter cannot shorten it.
If the thread was charged into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is insufficient, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment.
However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically extend.
In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electric apparatus), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line. After this procedure, the cord will again be able to extend due to centrifugal force, if you set the maximum spindle speed.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many users of trimmers are wondering: what can replace the default cord used in this kind of apparatus? They begin to conduct unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal cables or strings, as well as ordinary fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during operation of the unit the steel cable will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly apart in different directions at high speed.
And if you accidentally hook your own or someone else’s foot while operating the machine with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep cut of the tissues, and in some cases amputation of your toes, is provided. It is not in vain that the manufacturer uses nylon for these purposes, since it is quite light and durable, and when detached it does not fly away and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard one, but this will add you extra trouble, because it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting hard grass. In addition, when carrying out work, a lot of time is lost in order to replace a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of an ordinary fishing line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from a netting net. In this case, in order to protect the standard, and sometimes expensive cord from wear, it is changed to a fishing line, which is not a pity. Usually, in order to change the cord to the fishing line, it needs to be selected with the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
Replacing fishing line with a disc or knife
When refining a garden plot, park areas and other places where it is necessary to mow various kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer.
This is dictated by the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only cope with herbs.
But when a shrubbery or young shoot of trees appears on the way of the worker, the fishing line cannot cope with such a task, and its change to a more effective cutting tool is required.
Manufacturers of trimmers provided for such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of nozzles in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of disks similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several "petals", then with such a tool you can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the fishing line to the disk, the user of the Lawn Mower will have the opportunity to cut down bushes or small trees.
Knives and wheels are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first step is to remove it by locking the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the nut with the boot if the unit has not yet been used.
- Set the saw or cutting knife so that they are put on a small ledge (bushing).
- On top of the knife, install the mount cover and screw the nut onto the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
For a better understanding of the tool change process, you can watch this video.
Fishing line problems
Users of trimmers, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the cord.
“Advanced” owners of mowers can easily cope with the difficulties encountered, understanding why this is happening, and for beginners, this is a problem that does not have a rational explanation.
But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that happen with fishing line are as follows.
If the line is often torn, the following reasons can cause it:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass right next to the fence, and if it is mesh, it breaks the “antennae” even faster;
- poor cord quality (recommended to purchase high-quality);
- the outlet openings in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the fishing line is erased against the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part is required).
High cord consumption
Basically, the cord ends quickly if you often knock on the ground with a semi-automatic head or press it down hard. The reel is unlocked, and the fishing line, lengthening, is cut with a knife.
Another reason that the cord ends quickly is the improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: when mowing, the user often drops engine speed.
But as we remember, the automatic head is designed so that it is with each decrease in speed that a new portion of fishing line is fed, so it is quickly consumed.
The thread does not hold
It happens that the thread is unwound if the spring has loosened in the semi-automatic head. The fishing line is constantly extended and cut with a knife mounted on the casing, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the fishing line “climbed”, then you need to replace the spring.
Fishing line crashes
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be the weakening of the spring inside the head.
In addition, there are times when the mowing head scatters when the unit is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost.
Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and flies out under the influence of centrifugal force.
Cord not feeding, coil not spinning
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be the following:
- incorrectly wound fishing line in the reel, because of which the latter does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between turns (the thread should be wound carefully, turn to thread, without distortions);
- too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the fishing line is not supplied (it is recommended that you always adjust the cord length before starting the unit, pulling it slightly);
- the fishing line stuck together (to be discussed later).
The thread sticks together
This trouble is most often due to the use of low-quality cord. When the machine is operating, the trimmer head heats up, and the poor-quality fishing line in it melts, sticking together. Also, sintering of threads occurs when a fishing line meets a solid obstacle.
In this case, a sharp braking of the cord occurs, after which it is pulled into the head, where it is attached. Some owners of the units recommend lubricating the cord with mineral oil or spraying it with silicone spray after winding on a bobbin. Others advise winding less thread on a bobbin.
But it is better to immediately buy a quality product, in the manufacture of which the manufacturer took into account the factor of overheating of the head, and the thread will not stick together.
Prices for new trimmers of 2018
Trimmer ECHO SRM-2305SI
Trimmer ECHO SRM-350ES
Hitachi CG22EAS trimmer
Trimmer BLACKDECKER GL8033
Hammer MTK25B trimmer
How to change or rewind a fishing line on a trimmer reel: methods and nuances of winding, self-winding
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can flood the area. To defeat them without excessive efforts will help the trimmer. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It’s no secret that a conventional lawn mower can be used far from everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very complex areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
The trimmer mowing grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, aisles in the garden.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names indicate, the types of trimmer are noticeably different from one another. But regardless of the type of tool, it the cutting element may be a fishing line. Of course, the line tucked into the reel of the trimmer is not infinite. And sooner or later it will be required to replace it with a new one.
The consumption of fishing line depends on on frequency of use device and scope of work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with a trimmer, the more actively the line is consumed in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to fill the fishing line into the coil of the trimmer?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding fishing line on a reel plays an important role in the trimmer. In order for the device to function normally, it is very important to correctly wind a new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Which fishing line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to make a choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Type selection. A fishing line with a circular cross section is the most common. It will fit any coil with the rarest exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for mowing fresh, juicy grass. But mowing the so-called dead wood, this species may no longer be able to cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow shrubs with this thread.
Besides the usual type, there are others, having sharp edges. Usually they are made with an “asterisk” or “square”. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is because of this peculiarity that the threads of such species are able to mow dry weeds. But the pointed threads are not without flaws, the main of which can be called quick wear and strength noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the types of woods already mentioned, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside of which stretched metal wire. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Threads with a metal core are like with round section and with sharp edges. Regardless of the type of cross-section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming mowing plants. Threads belonging to this type easily mow not only dry grass, but even small shrubs.
Threads with wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable effect on the price of this type. The cost of threads with a core significantly exceeds the cost of threads of other types.
In addition, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter within one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it can overpower.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness there is one “but”. It is important not only to evaluate the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Necessary look in the user manual, which is attached to the tool and find information about the requirements for the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread may cause the tool to malfunction. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the motor of the device. And the use of too thin thread at times will increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and acquired, you can begin to consider ways to wind it on a reel.
How to wind a line onto a trim reel
At first glance, refueling a fishing line into a tool reel is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future, all necessary actions will be carried out without any difficulties.
To learn how to refill a fishing line with a trimmer, read this guide. The step-by-step instruction below takes into account the features of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore applicable to any instrument.
So, the procedure is as follows.
Video: How to Wind a Fishing Line onto a Trimmer Coil: Refuel, Which is Better, Change
- The fishing reel is the bottom end of the trimmer. First things first, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is mounted. It is necessary to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. It is easiest to do this by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft thread through a special hole. When the shaft is locked, you can unscrew the coil.
- At this stage, the bobbin to attach the fishing line to is removed from the head. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find the latch on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it with effort. Keeping the lock pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be temporarily set aside so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the line of winding fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If it contains the remains of an old fishing line, they must be removed. When the bobbin is clean, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- It is necessary to measure and cut six (maximum. seven) meters from a previously prepared skein of new fishing line. The bobbin should be at hand.
At this point, actually begins the key stage, which this article is devoted to.
The first way to wind the line
The right amount of fishing line is cut off. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin, in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they are slightly different from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two compartments. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing face does not close into the ring and has a recess.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it on the sides on both sides there are small through holes. The method of winding the thread needs to be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It’s best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the bend must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the fishing line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can proceed directly to winding. You need to wind it in the direction that the arrow on the bobbin points. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half is wound into the upper part of the spool, and the lower half. into the lower part. Each half should remain free about fifteen centimeters from the end.
- In the upper face of the bobbin there are small recesses (or, in other words, grooves) for fixing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed one opposite the other.
- The final stage of refueling consumables in the tool. the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now it remains only to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the loose ends of the thread be pulled outward. To do this, you need to take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to remove them from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads out a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While holding the bobbin down, put a cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the most recent action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is completed. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared six-meter-long section, it is required to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and briefly fix it so that the “hook” does not bend.
- Then one piece is taken. A “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which you want to wind is indicated by the arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the top of the reel. Winding the thread to the very tip is not necessary. from the end should remain free about fifteen centimeters.
- In the upper face of the coil there are small recesses (the so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these recesses.
- The top of the coil is tucked. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. The second length of thread is taken. A “hook” is threaded through a hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can begin to reel the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And at this stretch of free you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the recess opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment is inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coil are exactly the same as those described for the previous type in steps five through nine.
This is how the fishing line in the trimmer coil changes. Nothing no complicated in the process. And after a few refueling completed, all actions will reach automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. The popular YouTube portal has many different videos with a demonstration of winding fishing line on a trimmer reel.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable assistant in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or the owner of his own house.
Thanks to these garden devices, you can easily mow down even a large garden plot.
After acquiring this tool and doing a few tricks, many people think about how to properly wind the line onto the trimmer reel.
For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the fishing line in the instruction manual.
Preparation for winding fishing line
Prior to the winding process, it is necessary to remove the reel with fishing line from the housing. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three structural types of trimmers:
- Compact electric trimmers. Electric trimmer coil This type of tool has a lower position for the engine and head, which in turn has two side buttons for removing the bobbin. When pressed simultaneously, the top of the reel with fishing line is disconnected, and the bottom remains rigidly attached to the braid. Experts recommend disassembling on a flat area in order to prevent spring popping.
- Moto and electric braids with a curved duralumin rod, not intended for use with a knife. As a rule, coils of such models are equipped with a special wing nut. Dismantling the spool should be done by holding the coil body with one hand, and twist the wing counterclockwise with the other.
- Powerful gas trimmers and electric braids with a direct boom. Trimmer with a direct boom In this model, it is possible to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To install the trimmer knife, it is necessary to combine the hole of the bobbin and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, it is easy to unscrew the housing by hand clockwise.
Winding fishing line on trimmer
The measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit reel makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the fishing line.
The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used.
Today, there are several varieties of reels, depending on the number of antenna line fishing line and methods of refueling:
- Trimmer head with one working antennae;
- A bobbin with two antennae fishing line;
- Auto winding reel.
Single-Barrel Trimmer Coil
Single-mustache coil brush
Many owners and specialists note the simplicity of operation and refueling reels with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the fishing line can vary from 2 to 5 meters.
The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is made in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin.
Most coils on the outside of the case have marks in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the trimmer bobbin.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to enhance centrifugal force, which is crucial when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic reels. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
Double Antenna Trimmer
Two groove head
After removing the spool from the coil body, we determine the number of streams for winding fishing line (1 or 2).
There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but with careless refueling in a twin groove, there are problems with operation.
Due to the likelihood of weaving adjacent tool strings, a situation may arise when it is impossible to remove new ones after wear of the working antennae.
Regardless of the number of streams for refueling, a fishing line from 1.5 to 3 meters long is taken. Winding must be done in the direction opposite to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will cause the line to not be removed from the reel.
After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded through special holes. Next, we collect the head in the reverse disassembly order and check the performance.
Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the guard will cut off the excess.
Trimmer head with automatic threading
Types of Trimmer Heads
In some models available on the market, a reel with an automatic winding mechanism is installed. It is enough for the owner to correctly tuck and fix the ends in the head, and the tool itself will perform the winding operation when it is switched on in the operating mode.
It is almost impossible to wind a fishing line into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae.
The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include the ease of refueling fishing line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel: key points was last modified: June 28th, 2018 by Administrator
How to Replace a Fishing Line On a Trimmer Correctly
The most worn out element in the trimmer design is fishing line. Therefore, it is important to know how to choose and wind it on a reel. All the details in the article.
Since we considered the choice of the trimmer in the previous article, today we will tell you how to properly trim the trimmer with a fishing line, and which is better to choose based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to use it actively, sooner or later the question will arise about replacing the fishing line, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, then intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
What types of woods are
The most common type of fishing line that fits almost all types of reels is round cord. This is an ordinary fishing line suitable for mowing juicy grass, but mowing dead wood with it will be much more difficult, and even more so it can not cope with the bush.
As a rule, the diameter by which young grass can be mowed does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the more coarse grass it can overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharp edges in the form of an asterisk or square, this option is more suitable for mowing dry grass just due to the existing sharp edges, but its disadvantage is more wear and tear and is inferior in strength to round cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic dents, scales and notches, such a product produces less noise, but they are used only on benders, since the exit of such a thread from the reel is difficult, it is used most often with discs in which segments are inserted. The disadvantage of this product is its fragility.
how win line on the mowing head of a trimmer or brushcutter
The video shows in detail how to reel fishing line to the reel trimmer or Lawn Mower. Gas station fishing line mowing.
Replacing fishing line on a Lawn Mower
How to wind the cutting cord onto the scythe coil yourself (trimmer)
Most often in gas trimmers with an engine power of more than 1.5 hp apply cords with a metal cable inside. This thread is ideal for mowing dry grass and small bushes.
The presence of a core positively affects the wear resistance of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the listed opponents.
How to Fill a Fishing Line into a Trimmer Coil
It takes about 10-15 minutes to wind the line. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic case with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for convenient winding of fishing line.
Almost all trimmer coils have a similar mounting principle, this is the central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to pull the fishing line of the required length.
The photo below shows some examples of different coils for trimmers.
The bobbins of the trimmers, the motor of which is located near the ground, have a different mount to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides that need to be pressed, otherwise the thread replacement is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of proper winding fishing line is similar in all above listed cases, so for example, consider the standard version with two antennae.
To remove the reel with fishing line, it is necessary to unscrew the screw located in the center, but note that the thread there is left, so you have to turn it clockwise, this is done specially so that during operation it does not open under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and take out the reel, on which the fishing line is directly wound. Having measured the necessary length and folded in half, you need to fill the fishing line into the reel, removing, in the end, its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After this, it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order by threading the ends of the cord into two corresponding holes.
If you have doubts or it’s not entirely clear how to charge the fishing line to the trimmer, we recommend that you watch the video: how to wind the fishing line into the brushcutter correctly. In this video, the instructor will open the trimmer head in steps, measure out the required amount of fishing line, usually from two to four meters, and demonstrate assembly and installation on the trimmer.
How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer? House and Life. Yandex.Tnest
The trimmer coil is located in the mowing head, which consists of a spring, a coil and two covers.
The first step is to disassemble and remove the trimmer head. To do this, push the locks all the way to the sides of the case and turn them clockwise.
To open the mowing head, press the side latches, if you can’t do it with your hands, you can use a screwdriver. Remove the coil.
For the right choice of fishing line, suitable specifically for your trimmer, look at the inside of the numeric notation. These numbers indicate the required diameter of the fishing line in millimeters.
If you did not find such information, then the maximum diameter can be determined by taking the fishing line and threading it through the hollow hole. The thread should pass freely back and forth.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel. 1 way
Unwind about 4 meters of fishing line for winding. To determine the exact amount of the desired material, reel the fishing line from the roll onto the reel; the final result should not exceed the diameter of the reel and climb over the edges.
For convenience, fold the thread in half, make one end 10-15 cm longer than the other.
On the reel there is a dividing side, passing in the center. There is a cavity on it where you want to insert the fishing line. To do this, squeeze the place where the thread is bent and tighten the loop in this cavity.
Important. you need to determine exactly which way to wind the line, for this, find the inscription "Wind Line" on the reel, there is an arrow next to it indicating the direction of winding. If there is no such arrow on the spool, look for the arrow on the mowing head body; you need to wind it in the opposite direction.
Wind the line onto the spool gently, pulling the thread as far as possible.
At the end of the work, take the end that is shorter and insert it into the blade on the reel body corresponding to the diameter of your fishing line. In this work, the thread was threaded into a blade with the designations 3.3 mm.
With the second end, do the same, but insert it into the blade opposite the previous one. Fix the two ends, leave an allowance of 5-10 cm, cut the rest. Allowances are necessary so that when the spool is inserted into the head, the thread does not unwind.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel. second way
The methods differ by winding. in the second method, use a fishing line of two pieces separately. At the end of the thread, bend the staples as shown in the photo and push them into the fixing hole. Wrap the two blades of the coil in this way.
If you have a single-blade reel, find a hole in the inside to secure the fishing line. Insert the fishing line in one of the ways above. Then rewind it on the coil, in the direction of the reverse movement of the coil on the trimmer. Leave a small section of thread and reassemble the mowing head.
When you start the trimmer to work, the excess part of the fishing line is cut with a sharp pruning blade on its own.
In order not to change the fishing line too often, constantly stopping the work, try to avoid touching the equipment with solid objects during use.
How to Thread a Fishing Line into a Trimmer Coil
How to fill the fishing line in the trimmer coil and which is better for this use?
Very often, those people who personally own cottages, gardens, are faced with the need to take care of the lawn on this site. In such cases, you just can not do without the usual braid or trimmer.
The first slowly disappears in the background, and the people who use it are getting smaller. The trimmer works automatically and does not require much effort.
over, there is no special skill for using it.
How does the trimmer work?
The principle of operation of such a device is that the grass is cut by a special line mounted on a rapidly rotating head. The number of revolutions per minute can reach 8000. Within a short time the line becomes useless or, more likely, is erased. Then the question arises for gardeners: “How to fill fishing line in the trimmer coil "?
Types of trim tabs
First of all, in order not to resort to frequent replacements, it is better to use a denser line. The number of its types and manufacturers is simply amazing. The main parameter of the line for the trimmer is its diameter. It ranges from 1.6 to 3.2 mm. The most common types are the 2 mm line. However, it should be selected depending on the type of trimmer you have.
How to wind a fishing line on a mowing head of a trimmer or Lawn Mower
The video shows in detail how to wind a fishing line on reel trimmers or scythes. Refueling mowing.
How to reel fishing line to trim reel (spool)
information on our website LookTool.ru How to charge yourself fishing line reel, which one.
There are several options for the cross section of the line. Thus, it can be round, square, in the form of an asterisk with sharp edges. The most effective is the last option. However, its use is only on powerful braids, and at the same time you need to know how to trim. Therefore, we can conclude that the more powerful your Lawn Mower, therefore, the line should be thicker.
A process such as winding a line on a trimmer is not difficult, but has its own characteristics. First you need to select the correct line, the diameter of which is registered in the device passport.
To begin, unscrew the coil cover. Be careful, as cutting can be left and right. The left thread is necessary so that the braid head does not rotate.
Trimmer line filling
Before you add fishing line into the trimmer coil, measure 5 m from the coil (on average, the amount of trimmer installed on the trimmer). Then fold it exactly in half to find the middle. The resulting center should be inserted into a special slot, which is located on the coil. After that, wind the line in the direction of the arrow, which is located on the head.
There are such models in which the place of the winding is divided into two halves. Therefore, one is often wounded clockwise and the other. against. After complete winding of the line, its ends pass through special holes. The top cover is worn on the head.
From the above it follows that the process of replacing the line itself is not complicated. Having performed such manipulations as wrapping the line several times, you will bring this process into automatic. The only thing that you need to constantly monitor the condition of the line in order to avoid its rupture while working on the site when a spare skein can not be at hand.
Now you know how to fill fishing line in the trimmer coil, and you can do it yourself without much effort!
Any self-respecting summer resident is required to have at their disposal a summer trimmer, or as they also call a Lawn Mower. However, in order to maintain the trimmer in working condition, you must be able to replace the fishing line in the trimmer correctly to maintain healthy.
In this manual, we will consider removing the trimmer coil and replacing the fishing line in it. Terms used in the manual:
- Trimmer or brushcutter. an electrical device for mowing grass lawn. Can work on electricity or gasoline
- Trimmer mowing head. an element that is mounted on the stick of your brushcutter
- Reel. a device on which a fishing line is wound
- Trimmer fishing line. small-diameter wiring used to cut grass (mowing)
Video guide to replace the fishing line at the trimmer at the end of the article
How to remove the trimmer coil; Trimmer mowing head
Before starting to replace the fishing line, you should separate the mowing head of the Lawn Mower in which the fishing reel is located. This element is attached to the end of the stick of your trimmer and removed by unscrewing it in the direction where the arrow on the reel points.
After removing the mowing head with a coil, you must open it. First of all, you need to find a latch mechanism on the coil. It is part of the reel and is like 2 clamps, clicking on which you can open the reel and get to the place where you want to wind the line.
Open the mowing head and take out the reel for winding fishing line
You can open the coil with your hands or with a screwdriver or other tools with which you can pry the snap elements.
Winding fishing line on the trimmer reel; How to replace the trimmer’s fishing line?
Before starting to replace the trimmer fishing line, it is worth measuring a few meters of fishing line; What kind of fishing line to use is written in the documentation of the trimmer or directly on the Lawn Mower itself.
What kind of fishing line to use for trimmer?
Mostly used fishing line with a diameter of 2-3 mm; The diameter of the fishing line depends on how large the stems are in your grass. If it is necessary to mow the mugs, then in this case it is better to choose a fishing line with a diameter of 3 mm or more, if your trimmer provides for this.
After we measure out the necessary piece of fishing line, fold it in half and hold it with your fingers even stronger from the side of the scrap. In the same way as when inserting threads into a needle.
How to wrap fishing line on a trim reel?
Then you should find on the reel slots for attaching fishing line; place the fold into the fishing line.
Slot in reel for attaching fishing line
Then we wind the line on the reel in the direction indicated on the reel itself. As a rule, the fishing line is wound counterclockwise, but if this information is not on the reel, then you should contact the trimmer for information.
Winding fishing lines on a Lawn Mower reel
We wash the fishing line until there are two ends of the sizes of 10-15 centimeters. Winding the fishing line of the trimmer occurs with little effort and uniformity.
These ends must be inserted into the holes of the mowing head. Then we insert the coil into the mowing head, fix it and screw it onto the trimmer stick. Also, the excess part of the fishing line should be cut off if it is larger than the diameter of the protective casing.
The ends of the fishing line should be cut with scissors or bite off with teeth.
We advise you to watch the youtube video on how to properly replace the fishing line of the trimmer, by wrapping it on a coil of Lawn Mower.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer reel
Many, having developed a factory line on a newly acquired trimmer, try to rewind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to wind the line onto the reel spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still doesn’t work out. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, to rewind the fishing line, you need, for starters, to remove the reel from the trimmer. it will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Remove the coil from the trimmer
On small electric trimmers with the bottom position of the engine (when it is when working near the ground), the coil usually has two keys on its sides.
We click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound.
When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to grab the coil body with one hand, and with the second hand you need to start turning the lamb on it. It is he who fastens the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, being careful not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a straight rod and a gearbox at its end (in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife on such trimmers) we look for a hole under the coil, insert a screwdriver into it, for example, rotate the coil quietly until the screwdriver penetrates even deeper, and the coil will lock.
Now twist the entire coil clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted by a lamb.
If the coil is on latches, then we press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just twist the lamb.
There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper one with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and see
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one antennae, then everything is simple.
You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find the hole fixing the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start reeling the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer.
On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate an arrow, in which direction to wind the line. After winding up the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it.
We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inside of the reel and designed so that the fishing line does not unwind at the time of collection of the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the reel. Next, we take the outer part of the reel and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the reel back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we see how many grooves are available for winding fishing line. There may be one or two. If there is one groove, then both antennae are wound along this same groove.
If there are two grooves, then each antennae is wound on its own groove. The reel with one groove should have a through hole into which the line is threaded. Unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that on each side of the fishing line sticks out equally.
And at the same time we wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil.
We leave a little fishing line unwound, we fix the ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, hold them with our fingers. Pass both ends into the holes on the outer coil body. We assemble the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, we fold the piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the bend point into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line in each groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are still reels in which the line is threaded through the through hole on the inside, the ends of the line, without being wound, are completely threaded through the holes on the outer casing of the reel, the reel is assembled and the button that you usually press is rotated to release the line through the extent of its wear.
Turn the button. the line itself is wound inside. At the same time, turning it in the “wrong” direction will not work, since it can only spin in one direction.
If you adapt, then on such a reel you can wrap the fishing line without even taking it apart. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer casing of the reel, and then thread the fishing line into them.
That’s all for the matter. Good winding!