How to wind a line for a trimmer on a brushcutter reel correctly
How to wind the line for trimmer on the trimmer for grass
To wind a line for a trimmer on a gasoline or electric grass trimmer, you do not need to have any special skills. First, it is important to determine the right consumable, and then choose the best method. You can tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool of the device in two different ways.
The main element of the trimmer is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the line for the trimmer (filament) is wound. The heads differ from each other in the way they feed and thread the filament. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after that as the user reduces the engine speed. The automatic cord feed is very convenient when a large amount of work needs to be done. The disadvantage of this head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. Using such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulations. The way it works is that the line for the trimmer starts to grow longer automatically while the grass trimmer works at full speed. You just need to bump the head of the device on the ground (this will remove the locking line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will move out of the bobbin. Then the line for the trimmer is cut to the desired length by the cutter, which is located on the guard.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. After that, the line for the trimmer will need to be pulled out manually.
To thread a line into a trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the instruction manual supplied with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information about possible line diameters on it.
- Another option is to try to insert a cord into the outlet. If it will fit through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose the cord by motor type. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor in this case will overheat a lot and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick cord is fine. If you can’t find it, you can use a 1.6-mm trimmer line. If power is greater than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm diameter cord.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, it’s the shaft mower that counts. A 2 mm cord is often used for the curved version. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Also pay attention to the cross sectional area of the filament. Some popular options:
- The most common threads with a round section. They cut fresh grass well, but do not handle shrubs and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The sturdiest is a two-part cord with an inner core and a circular cross-section.
Please note that instead of fishing line you can’t use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line. The device will be dangerous for the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to trip, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
Choosing a line for your trimmer
line for trimmers must be strong, stiff and flexible. it is the working tool of the trimmer to cut the grass. Filaments of different thicknesses are available. from 1,2 mm to 4,0 mm. Most models are designed for a maximum thread thickness of 3 mm. Which diameter of line is right for your grass trimmer depends on a number of factors.
Depending on the hardness of the mowed vegetation:
It is important to consider that too thin thread accelerates the wear of the motor, too rough. will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The structure of the line cord is important:
- round. universal, the strongest, for coarse grass;
- shaped. for soft plants;
- curled and notched. for long, thin stems.
Important! Choose lines for trimmer of the type and parameters recommended by your brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimal loads on the product’s motor.
How to change lines on a trimmer
The line for trimmer is wound on a reel (bobbin), which is located in the body of the trimmer head for grass. First unscrew the head from the brushcutter bar and open the top cover by pressing on the side latches. In some models, the body simply unwinds.
Take out the spool, clean it from dirt, old fishing line remnants. There are one- and two-section reels.
Winding the fishing line on a single reel
We take 2 m of fishing line, thread it halfway through the special hole inside the spool. On both sides of the hole the ends of the fishing line of the same length stick out. Wind them both on the groove of the spool in the direction indicated by the arrow on the body (the reverse rotation of the spool on the shaft of the grass trimmer). Do not wind up the line for the trimmer to the end. the pieces of 10-15 cm, which will be working, fix in the grooves on the side of the spool. A lock is needed so the line for the trimmer does not unwind when installed in the head of the grass trimmer.
Insert the reel into the trimmer head, put the free ends of the fishing line through the holes in the trimmer head and put them on the outside. Assemble the head, put it on the grass trimmer. That’s it, the line change in the trimmer is done.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer with a two-section spool
If the spool has two sections, the line for the trimmer is folded in half and the bend is inserted in a special groove in the edge between sections. We begin to coil the ends of each in its groove. then everything is as in the case of a one-section reel.
How much line to wind on the grass trimmer? Can be wound 2 to 4 m, depending on the product model. In each case it must not be wound too tightly and must be free to be pulled on while working.
How to change a trimmer line for a knife
For mowing hard last year’s grass and bushes it is recommended to replace the line for the trimmer with a knife attachment. The mowing head can be made as a solid metal plate with several cutting blades (usually two to four blades) or as a disc with plastic blades loosely attached to it. All-metal nozzles are recommended for experienced mowers on a suitable tool, as they can potentially cause a very serious injury. They are recommended to put only on trimmers with a straight boom (so that the nozzle was as far from your feet as possible all the time) and on trimmers for grass with a paired U-shaped handle resembling a bicycle or motorcycle handlebars (perhaps that’s why such petrol trimmers are often called brushcutters). Grass trimmers with a D-shaped handle and a curved boom are recommended to be equipped only with a disc with plastic blades, which are much safer.
Bosch grass trimmer
Installing the disk is done in approximately the same sequence as the installation of trimmer head. The metal blade is mounted on a support washer of appropriate diameter so that the disc is fixed tightly, without backlash. The disc is closed at the top with one or two locking washers, which are screwed onto the gearbox shaft with a left-hand threaded nut. Be careful when you start to pull out the nut, do not lose it. you can not buy it in a regular construction store, only in a specialized shop or service center for trimmers. The plastic blade head is screwed on the gearshaft in the same way as the line head.
Don’t forget to wear safety glasses, headphones and good, sturdy shoes.
When working with an electric mains trimmer, be careful not to accidentally get under the line for the trimmer the cable with which the technique is connected to the mains.
Electric grass trimmer is best to choose a battery-operated version. Of course, the batteries need to be periodically charged, but this design is much safer, since there is no contact with the electric network of 220 V. It is desirable, of course, to have a spare battery, so you can change it.
We suggest you watch video on how to change the line for the trimmer on the mower head.
Winding a fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Having decided on the length of the cord, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the center rim, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the trimmer line. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. This indicates the winding direction. If there are no markings on the bobbin, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wrap in the opposite direction.
- Wash the consumable material should be carefully, coil to coil. Try to keep the filament as taut as possible.
- After you finish laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second (longer) end to the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer spool.
- After securing the line for the trimmer, cut the ends. Remember to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded reel to the mowing head of the device. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head to place the bobbin of the device into the leather.
- Pull the cord out of the locking grooves, exerting the required force, and tighten the material. After this is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the catches.
You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way that charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the shape of a hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin that is designed to hold the fishing line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin case.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer?
To change or wind the cutting thread on the spool, it must be removed.
The complexity of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- Low-mounted tool. The motor is almost on the ground. To remove the spool, you need to press the buttons on the side of the grass trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the body opens, where the spool with a fishing line is located.
- The grass trimmer with a curved boom. Here you need to turn counterclockwise the special thumbscrew. Then the spool and the spring in it are removed.
- The tool with the straight boom. The rod is held stationary with a screwdriver or other object. Turn it clockwise to remove it. After that, disassemble the tool into parts and remove the spool.
- Approximately four meters of yarn required if using a single extension cord. This thread is passed into the hole inside the spool where it can be secured. Then one end of the fishing line is directed by the arrow. Then the end of this thread is secured in the groove that is in the bobbin. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when reassembling the spool. If there are no grooves, you should hold the trimmer line by hand and assemble the bobbin.
- If a double-tipped tool is used, first check how many grooves are present.If there is only one groove, then the two strands will be in the same groove. If there are two grooves, each tendril will be directed into its own groove.
In the first case, the desired amount of cutting thread is passed through the hole so that the result is a thread of equal length. Then turn the bobbin on the arrow. Then begin to assemble the tool, holding the thread with your finger.
If the spool is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, then wind the line for the trimmer as follows:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is on the inside;
- Secure the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The reel is assembled and the special button is pressed;
- After that the line for the trimmer starts to coil itself in the desired direction.
It should always be remembered that the cutting thread must be protected from hard things. This will extend its life.
If you do not adhere to this rule, you will have to stop work often, remove the spool and change the thread for a new one.
How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel
To replace the fishing line in the trimmer, cut a piece of material of the right size by folding it in half. One of the halves should be 5-10 cm longer than the second.
To correctly wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, the middle of the thread, folded in a loop, must be placed in the groove of the central divider. One half of the line wraps tightly around the top of the piece, the other half wraps tightly around the bottom. The longer part is wound onto the lower part. Wind in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation of the head. There should be an arrow on the cap or side of the head to show the direction of rotation. Wind the line around the spool in the opposite direction of the arrow. Do the work carefully, pressing the coil tightly against the coil.
Insert the remaining 10-15 cm of the cable in the slots on the top edge of the spool to mark it in place. With the ends secured the coil will not unwind.
If you don’t have the right length of fishing line, you can wind the line in two pieces instead of one. In this case, bend the end of the line with a hook and insert it into the slit in the center divider of the bobbin. Do the same with the second piece. Now wind first one piece and then the other on your halves of the spool against its direction of rotation.
To tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer, insert the ends into the holes in the mowing head and pull them out. Put the bobbin on its axle and push it down so that it sits in place, then pull the thread ends again to pull them out to their full length.
The protruding ends should almost reach the protective cover. Cut off any excess. To do this, you can use the steel plate installed on the hood, which acts as a knife and automatically cuts the line for the trimmer of excessive length when unwinding the head.
Close the bobbin cover. Slide it back into place and press down until the catches click into place. Always check that the grass trimmer cover is securely fastened and locked in place, or else it may pop off while you’re working. If so, the bobbin will be ejected by the spinning action.
Do not try to reel in as much material as possible, otherwise the reel may not fit and there will be problems with fitting and securing the cover. It is better if the spool is filled with wood so that it does not go beyond the dimensions of the part.
In addition to mechanical scythes with two blades, there are also models with one. They differ in that the cutting filament only comes out on one side. instead of a central partition, a slot in the lower flange is used for the non-working end of the line, and the upper flange has a slot for the working end.
With the replacement wood in place you can start working. Do not mow thick weeds and bush twigs. this is not a job for a grass mower. To reduce the risk of injuries and line breakage, do not allow stones and branches to get under the brush.
For lawn mowing, one filling of a spool of reinforced line is sufficient for an area of 400-600 m2.
Once the cutting line has worn out as a result of your work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the scaffold out of the slot by pulling it to the desired length, and insert it back into the slot. The amount of material wound on the spool is sufficient for 5 to 10 operating cycles depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully to see if the grooves where the clamps are inserted are clogged, if they are clogged, then carefully clean them.
When the trimmer line wears out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working trimmer line on it.
Choosing a line
It is important not to miscalculate the consumable choice in order to successfully thread the line into the trimmer head. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual supplied with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. It sometimes has information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet hole. If it fits through without difficulty, then the chosen filament diameter is suitable.
Reel for grass trimmer
You can choose cord by engine type. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick filament will do. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6 mm cord for your trimmer. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grasses well, but do not handle bushes and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not highly durable, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, star or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
Grass trimmer fishing line types
Note that you cannot use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. In this way the rope or similar products will gradually start to come off, and as a result their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly away with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How does the line head work on the brushcutter why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is the instruction on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the head of the hand-held tool. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- There is a spool inside the head, which is mounted on slits preventing it from moving freely
- The reel is affected by a spring that presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the splines. The line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing its length
- After releasing the necessary amount of line, release the clamp, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared with metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the point where most owners of special tools have difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
How the line head on the brushcutter works Why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. on a manual hedge trimmer head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool, which is planted on the splines, preventing its free movement
- The coil is acted upon by a spring that presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually it is between 1 and 4 meters long
- During work, if the length of the fishing line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slots. At the same time the line for the trimmer is coiled from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the desired amount of fishing line, you should release the clamp, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and the engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and structure of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is the point at which most special tool owners have difficulty.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
The measured and careful removal of the bobbin from the reel of the grass trimmer allows you to proceed directly to the winding of the line. Design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of operations in this operation, as well as determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of line strands and methods of threading:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and operators note the ease of using and threading a single mast. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the tucked line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. In the head, the end of the fishing line is inserted into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is performed in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have arrow marks on the outside of the housing that indicate the direction of travel of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding it is necessary to leave the free end 15-30 cm to increase centrifugal force, which is decisive for the extraction of trim line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the left end through the working hole of the spool and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of spools for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single-groove and double-groove spools, but careless spooling into a double-groove can lead to operational problems. Because of the possibility of intertwining of the neighboring lines of the tool, it may be impossible to remove the new ones after the working strands are worn out.
Regardless of the number of threads, a trimmer line of length from 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding during the motion will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the reel. Once the line for the trimmer is threaded into the grass trimmer reel, the free ends (15-30 cm) are fed through the special holes. Then you assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the performance. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer the blade mounted on the protection will cut the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and secure the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when you switch it on in working mode. Incorrect winding of the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass with such a head is almost impossible, as the spool itself determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of an automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of filling the fishing line, but the disadvantages are the frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and the high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Working with such machinery as grass trimmers requires caution and attention. Beginner and advanced trimmers must follow all safety precautions while working. It happens so that self-confident mowers lose vigilance, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. That’s why it’s important to be careful when operating the machine
- Close the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After spooling, be sure to check that the tool works before mowing.
- Choose quality material that fits the particular trimmer.
Do not attempt to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Work only in protective clothing. Wear eyeglasses and appropriate footwear.
How to coil a fishing line
leisurely disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing any of its parts allows you to proceed to the main task of winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and number of operating tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Spool with one operating clamp
The simplest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Bobbin size and length of original factory bobbin winding determine recommended line length for winding. 25 m.
- One end of line is inserted into fixing technological opening located inside of bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- Small part of line is left free for its conclusion outside. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of a bobbin, designed for holding a winding when bobbin is assembled in working condition.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the bobbin.
- The halves of the bobbin are assembled and put on the rod of the trimmer product.
Reel with two working tendrils
In this type of bobbins to determine the number of grooves for winding line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases, a trimmer line of 2-3 m in length is used. In single-cable spools the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are put together and aligned, then wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the boom. inside with an arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the line are pushed through or held by fingers of free hand, put into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the trimmer’s boom.
The difference of winding the fishing line in dual-channel spools is that originally a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both filament strands of line are wound on their own groove, the fixing of the strands and the reel assembly is similar to the single groove variant discussed above.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time-consuming, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Once the cutting filament is worn out as a result of operation, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the slot, pulling it out to the desired length, and reinsert it into the slots. The amount of material wound on the reel is sufficient for 5-10 cycles of operation, depending on the model of the device. When reassembling the cover, carefully check that the grooves where the clips are inserted are not blocked; if they are, clean them thoroughly.
When the line for the trimmer is worn out, you must again disassemble the mowing head, pull out the spool and rewind the working line for the trimmer.
the grass trimmer is the most common unit used for cutting grass and small bushes. This machine stands out for its ease of operation, simple operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that for high-quality work on grass mowing, you need the right choice of cutting tools. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer are an expendable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it is necessary to replace it. In this article we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to correctly replace the line for the trimmer.
How to remove spool and change line for trimmer
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or line for the trimmer in the reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, we recommend that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before you tuck the line into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injury from accidental startup of the cutting attachment.
- Unscrew the brush head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the shaft, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.