How to Wind a Rope On a Patriot Trimmer Starter
A chainsaw is an indispensable tool in the construction and harvesting of firewood. Proper operation during moderate operation ensures a long tool life without breakage. However, troubles can arise completely unexpectedly and a working chainsaw loses its working capacity, and the malfunction can be completely trifling.
How to repair a chainsaw starter with your own hands
Presented is the repair of a chainsaw starter after a break in the starter cord. Without a starter cord, the chainsaw becomes completely inoperative; there is no other way to start the tool. The repair was examined using the Partner P350S chainsaw as an example; a tricky reliable start of this saw requires a minimum of 4-5 times pulling the starter cord in order for the saw to work, therefore, probably, the first malfunction was a break in the cord. The cord does not tear immediately, the protective stocking of the cord threads breaks off at first and prevents the saw from starting. It is better not to wait for all the threads to break and fix the cord in advance. There is no need to invent anything, repair should not cause difficulties, but exact observance of the assembly conditions is necessary. A step-by-step instruction with a diagram of actions with photos and videos is given below.
1. Unscrew the three screws securing the starter cover. The included candle wrench with a straight screwdriver is suitable for this process, but to speed up the work it is better to use a normal tool.
2. Remove the starter. The chainsaw is equipped with a soft start mechanism, it is located above the reel with a cord.
Video: How to Wind a Rope On a Patriot Trimmer Starter
3. Unscrew the screw securing the soft starter and starter coil. Caution do not lose the puck!
Starter removed. Unscrew the screw. Unscrew the screw.
4. We remove the soft-start mechanism.
5. We take out the cord winding coil.
Soft starter Starter coil Coil removed
6. We prepare a cord suitable for the diameter of 1.2-1.3 meters in length. For repair used kapron clothesline :).
7. We melt the ends of the rope over a fire so as not to dissolve.
8. Tied at one end of a complex knot. The assembly is required to be large in diameter, but should not protrude when mounted on a coil.
9. We fill the cord into the hole of the coil. Do not wrap the cord!
10. Insert the coil into place. Installation error may be made here. The coil has two slots, in one of which a spiral spring hook should fall. Install the coil so that it snaps firmly into place and the hook snaps into place. It is checked by turning the coil clockwise to determine the occurrence of a return force.
Knot on the cord The cord is fixed Spring protrusion
11. Install the soft starter. The protrusion of the mechanism should stand in the recess of the coil.
12. We fasten the fixing screw with the washer.
13. We fill the second end of the cord into the outlet.
Installing the soft starter Screw is screwed Cord is pulled out
14. Fill the cord into the start handle. We tie a large knot at the end of the rope. With a small knot, there is a chance of the rope slipping and the entire cord is wrapped in the starter and in order to get it out the starter will need to be removed again. Check the reliability of the node. Look at the photo.
Cord in trigger handle Locking knot Cord handle
15. The most important moment! We release the loop of the cord inside the starter and begin to rotate the starter mechanism clockwise without winding the cord! For this saw, you must make a minimum of five turns. We fix the coil by hand. We pull the loop by the handle outward. Holding the cord and mechanism, we allow the cord to be wound on a reel. Watch a video.
16. Check the operation of the mechanism.
17. Install the starter in place and fasten it with three screws. Repair done.
Repairing a tattered or damaged cord using step-by-step instructions takes 15 minutes, which is much faster and cheaper than contacting a service center.
If the instructions helped you, let me know in the comments.