How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer bobbin
How to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer bobbin
The thickness of the cord should fit the parameters of the selected tool. Too thick line for the trimmer will entangle the thread on the spool, contribute to overheating of the motor and rapid wear of the bushings.
According to the thickness of the line for the trimmer is conditionally divided into several types:
- Within 1.2 to 1.6 millimeters. Suitable for models up to 0.5 kW. Often these are electric mowers;
- From 2 mm to 2.4 mm. This size is the most popular, as it copes with young and stiff grass. Fits on tools with about 1 kW of power;
- From 3 mm to 3.2 mm. Suitable for gasoline-powered units that will mow thick stems of weeds;
- Court 4mm. Copes with overgrown areas.
To determine what kind of line for the trimmer is suitable for the mower, you can use one of the ways:
- The thickness of the court should be specified in the owner’s manual;
- Manufacturers often put important data on the bobbin, including the allowable diameter;
- To slip the line for the trimmer in the outlet hole. Should run smoothly.
The shape of the section is also paid attention to, because the thread does not cut, but rather breaks the grass stem. Types of cords by section shape:
- Round. Versatile option that allows you to cut fresh and dry vegetation;
- Multifaceted with 3 to 6 facets. Can cut stiff and thick stems. But the consumption of such a material is quite large, so it is suitable only for specific purposes;
- Shaped. Star or square with notches. The first is used for cutting fresh vegetation.
Grass trimmer line is made of different materials:
- Nylon line for trimmer made of polyamide or propylene is most suitable for brushcutters. Inexpensive versions with polyethylene in the composition. They are not resistant to load, can not withstand frequent changes in temperature modes. Polypropylene line for the trimmer will last longer, if it is previously soaked in water for half an hour;
- The strongest lines are those with aluminum particles and a diameter of about 4 millimeters.
You can’t use metal wire or wire ropes, which can damage the tool.
On the basis of the described parameters, you can choose the optimal line for a trimmer for the care of yard areas.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a brushcutter reel: method one
Open the trimmer head before winding.
First, determine the amount of fishing line to be wound on the bobbin. The coil must not protrude over the edges, otherwise the bobbin will not fit into the casing.
After determining the length of the fishing line, you can proceed with threading it into the bobbin:
The line for the trimmer is folded in half, one edge should be 10-15 cm longer. The bobbin is divided into two parts by the center curb. It has a slot on it for the court, which should be bent in half
some force is needed for winding; the winding direction is important. On the bobbin must be an arrow or an inscription indicating the side of the winding
If there is no indicator, there must be an arrow on the mower head. Cord is wound in the opposite direction; Winding the line for the trimmer should be as accurate as possible, the thread should be as taut as possible; After completing the laying, the short end of the thread is fixed, it is inserted into the appropriate diameter slot on the side of the spool. The long edge is fastened on the opposite side; With a fixed line, the edges should be cut with a gap of about 10 centimeters; The threaded bobbin is installed in the mowing head. The edges of the thread are pulled up from the securing grooves; The cover is put on and secured with the latches. It must be completely fixed.
How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool: the second way
Some reels can be tucked in another way. Two lengths of thread are loaded, not one folded in half.
- As in the first case, the length of the new thread is determined;
- One edge of the court is bent with a hook;
- At the bottom of the bobbin there are holes for fixing the line, where the bent edge of the thread is inserted;
- Winding the line behind the arrow on the spool. The level of winding should not exceed the diameter of the spool;
- Do the same with the second cell of the bobbin;
- The edges of the fishing line that stick out of the holes must be cut. You can simply turn on the mower, the knife will cut them while spinning. the trimmer line is cut by hand with scissors if the diameter of the court is too large.
Features of the application of trimmers
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a grass trimmer, there are several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the grass trimmer line set in the grass trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new.
Consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the extent of the work performed. The more grass is mowed and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is consumed. And, accordingly, the faster it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the filament winding on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer for grass
In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to wind a new line for the trimmer on the spool correctly. About how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article
Choosing line for the trimmer
Trimmer fishing line must be strong, stiff and flexible because it is the working tool of the trimmer to cut the grass. Filament thicknesses from 1.2 mm to 4.0 mm are available. Most models are designed for a maximum thread thickness of 3 mm. Which diameter of grass trimmer line is the right one or the other depends on a number of factors.
Depending on the hardness of the mowed vegetation:
It is important to consider that too thin thread accelerates wear of the motor, too rough. will accelerate its overheating and premature failure.
The structure of the line cord is important:
- Round. universal, the most durable, for coarse grass;
- curly. for soft plants;
- twisted with notches. for thin, long stems.
Important! Choose lines for your brushcutter of the type and specifications recommended by the brushcutter manufacturer. Such material will work long and well with optimal loads on the motor of the product.
How to change fishing line on your trimmer
The line for the trimmer is wound on a spool (bobbin), which is located in the body of the trimmer head for grass. First unscrew the head from the brushcutter bar and open its top cover by pressing the side latches. In some models, the body simply unscrews.
Take out the spool, clean the dirt, residues of old fishing line. Reels come in single and double sections.
Winding lines on a single spool
Take 2 m of fishing line, thread it halfway through the hole in the spool. On both sides of the hole the ends of the fishing line stick out of the same length. Wind them both on the groove of the reel in the direction indicated by the arrow on the body (the reverse rotation of the reel on the shaft of the grass trimmer). Until the end of line trimmer is not winded. the pieces of 10-15 cm, which will work, fix in the grooves on the side of the coil. Fixation is needed to ensure that the line for the trimmer does not unwind when you install it in the head of the grass trimmer.
Insert the reel into the body of the head, at the same time the free ends of the fishing line are inserted into the holes in the body, expose outward. Assemble the head, put it on the grass trimmer. That’s it, the line change in the trimmer is done.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer with a two-section spool
If the spool has two sections, the line for the trimmer fold in half and place the bend in a special groove on the board between sections. Start winding the ends each in its own groove. then everything is as in the case of a single-section reel.
How much line to wind on the grass trimmer? It is possible to wind 2-4 m, depending on the model of the product. In each case, the line must not be wound too tightly, it must have free movement for pulling in the course of work.
Features of the application of trimmers
Grass trimmer mowing grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a trimmer for grass, exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element can be a line for the trimmer. Of course, the line tucked into the grass trimmer reel for trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new.
The consumption of the line depends directly on the frequency of use of the device and the extent of the work performed. The more grass is mowed and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the line for the trimmer is consumed in it. And consequently the sooner it runs out of line. This raises the question: how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. And the line winding on the reel plays an important role in the operation of the grass trimmer. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. About how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Block: 2/4 | Number of characters: 1281
Removing the spool from the grass trimmer
On small electric grass trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when the motor is near the ground) the spool usually has two buttons on each side. Press them and disconnect one half of the reel body from the other half, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half of it, the inner part, on which the line for the trimmer is wound, is also removed. Be careful during disassembly: there is a spring inside, which can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a bent bar (there is no possibility to put a knife on such trimmers) it is necessary to embrace the body of the reel with one hand, and the second hand should start turning counterclockwise the winglet on it. This is what fastens the spool to the grass trimmer bar. After unscrewing the thumbscrew, carefully remove the entire spool, taking care not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and gear on its end (in such trimmers for grass in addition to the fishing line can also be installed and a knife) are looking for a hole under the spool, insert it, for example, a screwdriver, quietly turn the spool, until the screwdriver will penetrate even deeper, and the spool will be secured. Now we twist the whole spool clockwise (because the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Further disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with snaps or twisted wingnut. If the coil is on the latches, then press on the sides of the latches base so that they will bend and release one half of the coil body from the other half. Thumbscrew can be unscrewed. there can be also a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: in this case you need to grasp the lower part with one hand and the upper part with the other and begin to turn them in opposite directions. Disassembling such a coil, you must also ensure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers at the lowest in one place. Click and see
Now you removed and disassembled the coil, and now starts winding.
Block: 2/3 | Number of characters: 1967
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. The spool or lead is a device that is located inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same in all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel of fishing line out of it.
That’s interesting! The tooling can be replaced directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. After the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down, and if necessary clean it of dirt. pinch the two fingers on the head cap’s catches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to one another. After pressing them in slightly, remove the head cover from the drum
- Next, the fishing line spool should be removed from the reel shaft. It is mounted on the shaft without any fasteners, so you can remove it with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fastened with a screw, which should be unscrewed with a screwdriver and a suitable bit
- To unscrew it, hold the base of the drum with one hand and use the other to unscrew it counter-clockwise with the screwdriver
- After that you can disassemble the head. to do this, do not pull it with all your might, but gently wiggle it sideways to slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated
- When reinstalling, the head should be seated in the square shaped splines
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider these nuances when disassembling:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it can be difficult or even impossible to remove it, if necessary
- If a screw has a square drive head, select a screwdriver or suitable size bit for unscrewing to avoid slipping on the drive head
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are reels which do not require disassembly. To remove them, grasp the screw and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Block: 3/8 | Number of characters: 2920
Choosing a line
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual that comes with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. It sometimes has information on possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet. If it fits through it without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel
You can choose the cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful tips:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a thread with a thickness of 1.3 mm will do. If you did not find such, you can use a line for the trimmer 1.6 mm. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. For the bent version the 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Also pay attention to the type of cord cross-section. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a circular cross-section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with shrubs, deadwood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star, or square grass trimmer lines are the smoothest to mow your lawn, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
What kind of line is best for your grass trimmer?
Please note that you can’t use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer is used, which has a diameter of 2 mm. To find the right diameter for the mower, you can choose the following ways:
- Look for information on line thickness in the instruction manual supplied with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about possible line diameters is printed on it.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet hole. If it fits through it without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer
You can choose a cord by the type of engine. If the trimmer line is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500V, a 1.3mm cord is fine. If you can’t find one, you can use a 1.6 mm trimmer line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm cord.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. For the bent version, 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest cord for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Also pay attention to the cross section of the filament. Some popular choices:
- The most common lines are those with a round cross-section. They cut fresh grasses well, but cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped, or square grass trimmer lines are more evenly mowed, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is two-part cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Types of lines for grass trimmer
Please note that you cannot use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
How does the line head work on your brushcutter?
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ constructively not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. on the handheld head. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is planted on slits that prevent it from moving freely
- The spool is affected by the spring, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is between 1 and 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the fishing line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the splines. The trimmer line winds up from the reel at the same time, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, you should release the pressure, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, in comparison with metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer is simply torn off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the moment when most owners of special tools causes difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | characters: 1782
How to tuck the line for trimmer in the grass trimmer reel?
The third method is suitable for threading single section mower spools.
All steps must be performed in the following order:
- The first step is to disassemble the mowing head, after which it must be cleaned of grass, small debris and remnants of old cord;
- Next, you need to cut about 10 m of new fishing line from the total amount and bend it in half. As a result, one hand should hold both ends of the line and the place where it is bent;
- After that, you need to find a notch in the bobbin. In a single section mowing head, it is located at the top or bottom. Next to the notch should be an arrow that indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then you need to start winding the line. During assembly the line for the trimmer must not kink or hang down. Otherwise, it will constantly pop out of the spool;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator should remain 2 ends, 10-15 cm long;
- These ends must be slipped into the through holes located in the side walls of the top of the spool, opposite each other;
- After that it is necessary to assemble the spool. In this case, its spring must exactly stand between the two metal washers.
The finished single-section reel will need to be installed on a household grass trimmer, and then you can continue to mow the vegetation on the site.
Number of blocks: 7 | Total number of characters: 12545Number of used donors: 3Information on each donor:
Working with such equipment as trimmers for grass requires caution and care. Security precautions during work are obligatory for beginners and experienced craftsmen. Confident lawn mowers sometimes lose their guard, make irreparable mistakes and get seriously injured. Therefore, it is important when working with the machine
- Secure the reel cover with all latches.
- Do not coil more line than necessary: it is difficult to unwind later.
- After refilling the reel, be sure to check the tool before mowing.
- Choose a quality material that fits the particular trimmer.
Don’t try to mow coarse grass with thick stems with a fishing line. There are steel discs for this. Wear protective clothing only. Wear eyeglasses and appropriate footwear.
Cutting block attachment
The cutting block is the main part of the Philips Styler. It has short, sharp edges and is used to trim hair lengths quickly and accurately.
To remove the cutting unit from the body of the styler, check for the disconnect button on the body of the styler. If it is present, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If the styler does not have a release button, place your finger under the teeth of the cutting unit and pull it out of the unit. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutting unit into the styler body and then push the part with the teeth in until it clicks into place. Do not apply excessive force; this can damage the device.
If you are unable to install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the body of the styler and try cleaning it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric grass trimmer we purchased works on the dacha or country house. sooner or later the time will come when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or maintenance. Let me say right away that you do not need to remove the trimmer head completely in order to replace the fishing line. Within this article I will tell you how to remove or replace the entire cutting head, using the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer as an example.
Tips and advice on how to wind a trimmer line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced craftsmen. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These recommendations read as follows:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of locks. If one clamp does not snap, the reel can jump out and injure a person when starting the tool
- Don’t wind the trimmer fishing line with a strong pull on it, or in an amount greater than you can put it in place. It is better not to coil up the rig than to have more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to uncoil it if necessary
- If you own the tool with one line, not with two leads (usually these are low-powered machines), then the winding process is carried out in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference that there is no middle edge between the extreme bases of the spool
- After having replaced the material you should first check that the tool works and then go on mowing. If you do not make a preliminary check, the scaffolding can unravel and injure people
This is interesting!Choose the right quality material so you don’t get hurt when working with petrol and trimmers and brushcutters. While cutting the grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts and can fly long distances. Therefore, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in special protective gear. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the normal material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Normal nylon materials do not last as long and are therefore important to consider when working. Don’t try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this purpose.