How To Wind The Line On The Trimmer
Filling the line into the trimmer The line feed system from the trimmer can be manual, semi-automatic and automatic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30).
Spare coil storage space
It is very simple to install such a fishing line into the reel according to the internal scheme inside the reel. We insert the center of the line with a metal mount in the upper part of the reel, and draw the ends of the line along the grooves and bring it out.
We fill the line in the trimmer.
I want to devote today’s article to the sore subject of summer residents and gardeners of the entire post-Soviet space How to fill the line in the trimmer. Not many trimmer manufacturers answer this question in their instruction manuals. Therefore, it is difficult for ordinary gardeners to figure out how to do it correctly.
I want to start with a brief description of the technical characteristics of the trimmers.
So, trimmers are electric and gasoline. The cutting element for trimmers can be a line and a knife. The line is ordinary, four. Pentahedral and intertwined (in the form of a pigtail). Knives come in 2, 3 and 4 bladed knives. There are also plastic and metal knives.
The line feed system from the trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic.
The development engineers who create new models of trimmers clearly calculate the diameter (thickness) of the line and the number of knife blades, according to the power of the trimmers. Otherwise, the motor is overloaded, resulting in damage. And these are additional and significant costs.
Trimmers on the market today:
With one nozzle only with a line.
With two line nozzles and three-four-blade knife.
With one nozzle only three-four-bladed knife.
Our Kulibins have long ago learned to improve any mechanisms. So, for example, some gardeners make successful, in their opinion, replacement of fishing line with a metal cable, or fishing line. But at the same time, they do not think about the safety of their own and their loved ones, because, like a cable with the power of a working trimmer, it can easily break out and not only injure the mower and others, but leave him crippled for life. Using a fishing line can and gives a better effect, I have never personally tried it than a trimmer line, but such work has a number of inconveniences: when it comes into contact with hard objects, it loosens or can simply be pulled out of the reel without limit.
So, what is called closer to the topic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30). Everything is very simple. We started.
- After you have chosen the line for refueling, you need to cut off the required amount of line, because all the line in the skein will not be wound into the reel.
- Cut off and start winding.
- Remove the coil and the protective cover from the coil.
- They took it off. We fasten one end of the line into the gap and carefully and evenly wind the line.
- The amount of line should be such that the protective cover of the reel closes and the line on the reel unwinds a little by itself.
- We put the other end of the line into the hole in the protective casing.
- Next, we take the coil and the protective cover of the coil. We squirt the end of the line from the reel into the metal hole on the reel’s protective cover. We tighten the line a little.
- We put it all on the trimmer. Turn the coil clockwise until it clicks.
- They fixed it. Now we connect the trimmer to the network. We put the trimmer in the starting position for work. We turn on the trimmer. Excessive line length will be cut on the trimming blade.
- Coil in trimmer
- That’s all we start working on.
A little advice. Try not to let the line come into contact with hard objects when cutting. With this contact, the line will be cut. And since in this trimmer the line is not fed automatically, then every time you have to stop work, remove the reel and release the line again.
In addition to the standard lawn line, my trimmer has a thick line for cutting rough weeds. It has the shape of a pigtail, i.E. Three lines are tightly intertwined. This line has its own spool. Thick line
It is stored at the top of the trimmer body.
Heavy-duty line in a reel
This reel is attached to the trimmer in the same way as a reel with an ordinary line.
How to wind line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or owner of his own home.
Thanks to these gardening devices, even a large garden plot can be mowed with ease. After purchasing this tool and performing several mows, many people think about how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since the developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the line in the operating manual.
Preparing to wind the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
- Compact electric trimmers.
Straight bar trimmer
This model provides the ability to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily twisted clockwise by hand.
Trimmer head with two antennae
Double flute head
After removing the spool from the reel body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
Single-barbed trimmer spool
Brushcutter reel with one antenna
Many owners and experts note the ease of use and ease of refueling the bobbin with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the threaded line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is done in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have arrow marks on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to enhance the centrifugal force, which is decisive when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and neat dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- Bobbin with two line antennae;
- Automatic winding reel.
Trimmer head with automatic line threading
Types of trimmer heads
Some models on the market have a reel with an automatic winding mechanism. It is enough for the owner to properly thread and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on. It is almost impossible to wind the line incorrectly into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of the automatic trimmer head include ease of threading the line, and the disadvantages of frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
How to wind the line on the trimmer correctly
A garden trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private house owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents are at a dead end how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Changing the line on the trimmer
This article will tell you how to change the line on a trimmer. For some people, this job may not be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the curly lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when unscrewing.
Next, disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the cover is fixed with latches through the holes. So you just need to push these clips into the holes and the cover will come off. If the attachment has automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside, which can simply fly out when the lid is opened, be prepared for this. We lay out all the removed parts neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the line and unwind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind a line of greater thickness on the unit than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and a higher fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes they are not notches, but holes located opposite each other. We cling to one of the grooves with a loop and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reel has 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the line on them separately. Leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recesses of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the lid, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out those loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget to reverse rotation on screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your brushcutter is ready for use again.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small, bottom motor electric trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (on such trimmers it is not yet possible to put a knife), you need to grab the coil body with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to the fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection between two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
Than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer so it will be more convenient. The method of removal will depend on the type of trimmer.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled up the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inside of the reel and designed so that at the time of collecting the reel the line does not unwind. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove must have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the bend into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line, each along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button inside the fishing line itself. In this case, it will not work to turn it in the wrong direction, since it can only turn in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel, without even disassembling it, you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
How to properly wind the line around the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. This is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. Over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Study the article to find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The order of winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line, this point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the attachment by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove the old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it off and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing recess or insert into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by an arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the drum rotation). Some models have a double-sided reel: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the line must be wound into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be the assembly of the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, taking care to tighten the line without dislodging the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimmer blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- Fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the fishing line native to this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a substitution may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass, and pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.
How to quickly and easily remove the coil with your own hands
Remove the head before replacing the old line with a new one in the detachable trimmer reel.
The process is completely simple, even beginners can do the job:
- Remove the upper retaining cover.
- Take out the removable spool.
- Take out the spring, if any.
- Unscrew the bolt with a screwdriver.
- Remove the housing from the shaft.
Before winding the thread on the trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. Most often, a line with a cross section of 2 mm is used.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See the manufacturer’s instructions for the trimmer for recommendations.
- Manufacturers often apply cross section information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the spool hole.
How to wind the line correctly on the spool of a single-barbed trimmer
Most often, a thread up to five meters long is used. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Bend the cord with a loop and insert into the groove of the head.
- Wind the thread in the opposite direction to the marks on the body. They indicate the direction of movement of the head.
- Leave the end of the thread up to fifteen centimeters long to increase the centrifugal force.
- Thread the free end through the spool outlet.
- Assemble the trimmer head.
Before putting on the line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the section of the cord:
- Round thread is the most common option. They cut the grass perfectly, even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is not suitable for old thickets;
- A cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- Fishing line with a variety of geometric sections will help to mow the lawn more evenly, but the consumable strength is low.
The owner of the brushcutter should be aware that it is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.