How to wind the line onto the spool of the Bosch trimmer
Technical properties of the cord and the choice of diameter according to the power of the trimmer
If you take a package of fishing line in your hands, then only two main parameters are indicated on it. these are the total length and section. There is no instruction on how to choose a trimmer line, so you have to ask a specialist. Finding a good specialist is not so easy, especially since every year not only new lines are produced, but also reels.
The first thing to decide is the diameter, thickness or section of the cord. All this is one parameter that characterizes the performance of work with trimmers, lawn mowers, lawn mowers and lawn mowers. What section should I buy for my trimmer? In order not to be mistaken, you should take a piece of the old cord with you and give it to the seller. Based on the segment provided by you, the seller will issue a similar section of the cord.
This option is certainly reliable, but it cannot be called correct. Why? After all, the choice of fishing line depends not only on the head used, but also on the power of the tool used. First, it is recommended to decide what diameter of line can be used on trimmers and lawn mowers, depending on their power parameters:
- Electric trimmers with a power rating of up to 500 W. cords with a cross section of up to 1.6 mm are used. These tools are designed for cutting young grass in backyard areas.
- Gasoline and electric units with power ratings from 500 to 1000 W. imply the use of cords with a thickness of 2 to 2.4 mm. Such units with consumables are used for cutting thin and thick grass, as well as weeds. In trimmers with a power of up to 1 kW, you can install a fishing line with a diameter of 1-1.6 mm, but it will wear out quickly
- Trimmers and lawn mowers with power ratings over 1 kW. allow the use of cord thickness from 2.4 to 3.3 mm. Such a fishing line can be used to cut off thick and dried stems, as well as dense thickets. If a consumable with a thickness of more than 3 mm does not cope with the task of cutting grass, then metal discs with blades, teeth and knives are used
It is interesting! Manufacturers produce trimmer line with a diameter of more than 3.3 mm, only it is used extremely rarely, and only on powerful gasoline units.
Preparing to replace the line
Before replacing the line, you need to pull out and then disassemble the head. Usually it includes a casing, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a line, a cover. It is necessary to disconnect the electric trimmer from the mains (or turn off the petrol trimmer), and then proceed to remove the coil. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, it is necessary to completely disassemble the head, and in the second, just remove it from the gearbox shaft, on which it is attached.
find the latches on both sides, press and remove the cover to open the internal structure of the head;
there is a bobbin under the cover, it must be carefully pulled out of the case (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully removed to the side so as not to lose it);
- after removing the spool, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes noticeable in the center of the body, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, it is necessary, holding by the housing, to remove the coil from the gearbox shaft with shaking movements.
The second method involves the following actions. The spool head is put on the gearbox shaft. To disconnect it, you need to lock this shaft. Usually in braids, for example, of the “Champion” or “Stihl” brand, a hole is made for this, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a stationary position, it is necessary, holding by the body, to start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually left.
Now that the head has been removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the correct diameter for your trimmer by looking at the owner’s manual or at the bobbin itself, usually this information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the shit goes without difficulty, it can be used for work.
How to wind line on a trimmer spool
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the bend into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
How to service Bosch combitrim grass trimmer or string trimmer
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the consumption of fuel or energy increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
Now you need to load the spool with fishing line.
It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. When winding the thread, follow these grooves, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged.
At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out how much line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the rig inside the coil until it is level with the side protrusions. In this case, the rigging should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the fishing line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, pulling the ends of the line, disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- At this point, the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer is completed, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is also a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before threading it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
It is interesting! The tooling can be changed directly on the tool, but if you are doing this for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head and study the detailed winding process. After the technology has been mastered, you can perform replacement work on a trimmer lawn mower or lawn mower.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but by slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- It is recommended to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
Trimmer head with automatic line threading
Trimmer head types
Some models on the market have a reel with an automatic winding mechanism. It is enough for the owner to properly thread and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on. It is almost impossible to wind the line incorrectly into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include ease of threading the line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer?
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool. the second method
For coils of the second type, the dividing edge is solid. On both sides of it there are through recesses, which are designed for winding new fishing line.
To install a cord on such a head, the operator must act in the following order;
- The previously prepared 6-meter piece of cord must be bent exactly in half and cut. After that, the operator should get 2 identical pieces of fishing line;
- Then, at the end of each of the pieces, you will need to make a small hook;
- Next, the hook of one of the trimmer line segment will need to be inserted into the hole located at the top of the head;
- After that, you can start winding the cord. This is done strictly in the order indicated by the arrow on the spool. The cord used should wind evenly at the top of the spool. As a result, about 15 cm of the cord should remain free;
- The remaining end of the line will need to be fixed in the recess in the upper part of the spool;
- In the same way, wind the second piece of cord around the bottom of the trimmer cutter head.
This method is suitable for all types of cords, including homemade line from a plastic bottle.
Which trimmer line is better how to wind it on a reel
Which trimmer line is better?
To answer this common question, you need to consider the main operating parameters of the cutting cord one by one.
- thickness. the larger the diameter of the line, the higher its efficiency when working with thick weeds;
- section. cords with twisted and round sections have proven themselves the best. Another popular option is the “star”. Cords with a cross-section of this type successfully cope with tall dense grass and young shrubs;
- manufacturer. cutting cords of the Husqvarna and Stihl brands stand out for their high quality, strength and durability. Their only drawback is the high price. In such cases, you can choose inexpensive cords from the Sturm, Forte or Intertool brands.
When choosing a fishing line, it is desirable that the gardener has the opportunity to check the cord with his own hands. It is important to stretch the cutting line and try to break it. If the line does not lend itself, then it will be able to withstand a fairly high load.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto winding reel.
Recharging the lawn mower. How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
Sooner or later, every owner of a personal plot or a lawn near the house thinks about the problem of cleaning the grass. To cope with this task, today’s summer residents are helped by a manual lawn mower or trimmer. The working part of such a tool is a rotating reel, which cuts off unnecessary grass with a fishing line. Everything seems to be simple, but not every amateur gardener knows how to wind the line on the trimmer reel. Oddly enough, manufacturers often forget to raise this issue in the operating instructions.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool. We master step by step
To find out how to wind the line on the trimmer reel, you need to carefully examine the mowing part of the device or look in the tool passport. The fact is that, depending on the refueling method, trimmer coils are quick-charging and collapsible. For the former, everything is very simple. You don’t have to remove or disassemble anything, you just need to find holes for the fishing line, thread it through both ears and wind the required number of turns, and cut off the excess.
- First, make sure the trimmer is off, and if you are using a lawn mower, be sure to unscrew the candle.
- Remove the mowing head from the trimmer and disassemble it. To do this, press all the way on the latches located on the head body and remove the cover.
- Cut off the required amount of fishing line, and make the ends sharp. It will make the job easier.
- Place one end of the line in a special clip located in the center of the spool.
- Wind the string in the direction of the arrow indicated on the cap, while holding the string firmly with your finger.
- Leave a free end 12-15 cm long and attach it to the slot on the spool.
- If your trimmer has a two-section mowing wheel, repeat the last 4 steps. When doing this, wind the line into the free section. And fasten the end on the other side of the coil.
- Return the structure to the mowing head and pull out the free ends of the line through the special slots.
- Close the head cover and assemble the trimmer. Your braid is ready to go again.
Choosing a fishing line
Look closely at the cross-section of the line, it can be round or with ribs (square, “star”). The cut thread is good for picking up tougher grass and weeds. However, if the grass is too stiff, it is better to use a lawn mower with knives (milling cutter).
Some types of fishing line have rather sharp edges, so in order to avoid injury, it is worthwhile to refuel the reel with gloves.
Trimmers are different
To understand how to wind the line on the trimmer reel, you first need to understand the tool itself: what kind of company it is, how it works, how it works and what parts will be needed for repairs. To begin with, trimmers are divided into gasoline and electric, and they can have a knife and fishing line as cutting elements. There are 3 trimmer modifications:
- with fishing line and knives with 2–4 blades;
- only with knives;
- only with line.
Of course, craftsmen can improve anything and sometimes they fill the trimmers, for example, with metal wire or fishing line. But doing this is absolutely not worth it. you can seriously injure yourself or others.
Trimmer head types
Scythe heads can also have a different device: with automatic line feed, semi-automatic or manual. In the first case, in order to lengthen the working ends of the thread, it is necessary to slightly reduce the speed. And when you add them again, the line will come out automatically. For semi-automatic devices, you need to click on a special button located below. It is not necessary to turn off the trimmer. It is enough just to hit the scythe on the ground. The most inconvenient to work with are hand-fed trimmers. To lengthen its working ends, the tool must be turned off and the operation must be performed manually.
There is also a reel with a trimmer line:
- single-string. suitable only for cosmetic trimming of the local area;
- two-string. used for more serious work to clean the area from grass.
- A ring needs to be cut out of thin but durable plastic, and its inner diameter should be equal to the thickness of the core on which the fishing line is wound, and the outer one. to the diameter of the reel.
- On the inside of the ring, you need to make a small notch through which the thread will be threaded.
- Next, the ring is cut, put on the coil. And the place of the cut is glued together with tape or soldered with a hot knife. That’s all. now each end of the line can be wound on its own part of the reel.
As you already understood, threading the line into the trimmer spool. it’s a simple matter, it is quite within the power of every novice summer resident. You just need to understand how exactly your instrument is arranged, and do the work carefully, without rushing.