How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
Winding the thread by hand
You should also consider how to wind the line onto the reel by hand. If the fisherman has a telescopic spinning rod, it must be expanded into working condition. This is not necessary for a plug rod, you can work with the lower part of it.
Attach the spool to the spool seat. There is a hole in the reel on which the fishing line is wound. A rod is inserted into it, which can be used as a pencil, pen, knitting needle, etc. If the fisherman has an assistant, he will hold the axis on which the bobbin will unwind. If there is no assistant, you can hold the rod yourself between your knees.
On sale there are special devices for unwinding the line from the reel. Their advantage is that they regulate the force when winding the line and make it uniform.
The line is threaded through the rings, from the smallest top element to the spool. The thread is then secured in the spool with the line guide open. After that, it is lowered into the working position. You can start winding the line by rotating the spool.
Backing spool connection
Another important point in the question of how to properly wind the line on the spool is its connection to the spool. Some fishermen do not fix the line at all, believing that it is long enough and will never fully unwind. This is the wrong approach. Having fastened the reel or the line in the spool, you can not be afraid of the breakdown of large prey or idle scrolling of the line when fishing.
Among the many different snapping methods, the following are the most common:
- Special knot resembling a clinch. It is very durable and practically unstretched.
- A self-tightening knot is a special kind of loop that has some stretch. However, as a result of the tension of the line, such a knot is tightened to the stop and holds perfectly.
The choice depends on the preference of the fisherman. Both options are quite reliable. They will provide comfort while fishing.
What is backing?
It is usually difficult to determine how much line to reel. A standard spool is believed to hold one hundred meters of 0.3mm line. However, progress has stepped far forward, and modern lines are getting thinner, without losing the margin of safety.
How many meters of fishing line to wind on the reel, each angler decides for himself, depending on the fishing conditions. Therefore, it happens more and more often that the selected line is much smaller than the spool can accommodate. The resulting free space needs to be filled with something. Some people use electrical tape or nylon thread for these purposes, but this is not the best option. The adhesive on the tape that holds the bottom turns of the line peels off quickly. And the nylon thread dries for a very long time when wet.
Therefore, more and more anglers are inclined to the American method. to reel in the lower layer of fishing line is simpler and cheaper, and tie the main, higher quality to it. This turns of an inexpensive thread is called backing, in our opinion. reeling. It connects to the main strap with a self-tightening double loop, clinch or similar knot options.
The importance of winding correctly
In order for fishing to be successful, you need to carefully prepare for it. Otherwise, “terrible things can happen”. the weather is wonderful, the bite is excellent, and the tackle constantly fails and prevents you from taking advantage of the favorable fishing conditions.
To prevent this from happening, you need to set up all fishing accessories in advance. One of the most important steps in preparing for fishing is the correct winding of the line on the spool of the fishing reel. Failure to comply with the basic rules threatens the would-be fisherman with entanglement and line breaks, and fishing instead of pleasure will become a test for the nervous system.
The casting distance depends on the quality of such work. Correct winding ensures the casting of the bait at a distance that best matches the technical characteristics of the reel.
In addition, high-quality winding extends the life of the line by reducing mechanical friction and reducing the risk of beard when casting, which often requires you to cut the line. Therefore, before starting work, it is necessary to consider a few tips from experienced fishermen on how to lay the line on the spool. This is a fairly simple procedure that even a beginner can handle.
Precautions for Hand Winding
Since the operation is performed with the obligatory tension of the line, you need to press it against the rod by hand just above the first ring in order to adjust the tension. In this case, you should know how to wind the fishing line on the reel without cutting your fingers with it. You can put a glove on your hand. And you can skip the line between the pages of a small book, then it gets additional alignment during the winding process.
How to wind a fishing line on a reel: instructions
When collecting tackle for fishing, you periodically need to change the line on the reel. This is a fairly simple procedure. However, it has a number of nuances. The correctness of this procedure will determine whether the thread will be flat when casting or will start to get confused. If the fisherman does the wrong thing, the thread may break. This causes a lot of difficulties. To avoid such troubles, it is necessary to consider in detail how to wind the line on a reel. This technology will be discussed in detail in the article.
Restring a 2 sided spool on a string trimmer weed eater EASY!!
Storage rules on the spool
For the line to last longer, you need to properly care for it. When sending tackle for long-term storage, the line should be completely unwound and thoroughly dried, otherwise it will lose its elasticity. This is fraught with ruptures at the most inopportune moment. You can use a hair dryer to dry. When the line is completely dry, you need to wind it on a spool.
In general, you need to dry the thread after every fishing. Only this should not be done along the entire length, but only on an area slightly larger than the length of the long cast.
Winding profiles (taper)
For different reel models, the turns of the line on the spool are applied in different ways. In quality products, cylindrical and conical winding methods are used. The line laid in profile forms a straight line. With a cylindrical winding, this line is straight, parallel to the spool, with a tapered winding. oblique.
The straight tapered shape tapers towards the front edge of the spool, the opposite one widens. Straight taper reduces line friction. Reverse styling reduces the likelihood of spontaneous line drop.
There is also a third type of winding. chaotic. Usually used in cheap Chinese fishing rods. And if such winding can still be tolerated using ordinary fishing line, then the use of a cord in such a reel should be abandoned. Bad casts, beard, overlaps and entanglements are guaranteed. This leads to bad fishing and can also ruin the mood of every fisherman.
We start winding
Now we just have to choose the method of line tension, and wind all the reel rigging. As I said above, I use a bucket of water.
Thanks to these simple manipulations, we correctly wound the line on the spool and ended up with something like this:
Friends, since I gave an example on the old reel, the photo turned out to be nondescript. Don’t worry, if you do it right, it will work out great.
Tying the line to the spool
The most correct option would be to use a self-tightening knot. In order not to learn a new node, we use the same grabber:
- First, we form a loop
- Next, we go around the fishing line with the free end and begin to form a gripping knot.
- Now it remains to thread the short end of the line into the loop under the twist and tighten the knot
- It remains to put the loop on the bobbin and tighten
At this point, the knot is ready, do not forget that the knot must be at the bottom of the spool! If for some reason you do not want to use this node, you can read the article on how to tie a fishing line to a reel, there you will definitely find an option to your liking.
How to properly wind the line on the spool spool
Hello dear fishing enthusiasts. In today’s article we will talk about the correct winding of fishing line or braided line on fishing reels. Many people do not pay special attention to this and in vain.
An improperly wound line will impede casting distance at best. There is a much worse option, when at the first casting a “beard” is formed on the reel, and further fishing will become simply impossible.
Features of winding on a baitcasting reel
Modern animators are a very complex mechanism. It is important to know that when using this type of reel, you cannot use backing, the line must be uniform and without unnecessary bundles.
At the same time, it is desirable that the line be wound with the correct stretch and under the very side. If you do not follow these rules, the line can become tangled when casting.
We pass to the most crucial moment. the winding of the fishing line. Place the reel on the rod, then thread the line through the rings and tie to the spool.
Determine the amount of line required
Each modern reel has an indication of its capacity. For example, on spinning reels this is written on the spool:
Most often, these inscriptions refer to branded fishing line, which may differ from the one you purchased, but as a guideline, these numbers will do quite well. If you are using a braid, it is best not to rely on these notations, since the braid itself is soft, it will take more of it.
So, if your fishing line is enough with a margin of 20%, then you can safely go to the winding section, if this indicator is less or you use braid, it is better to play it safe and read about backing.
In the section on backing, I already mentioned the methods of stretching, here we will consider these options in more detail.
The first simple way is to lower the line spool in a bucket of water for this you need:
- Pour a little less than half of water into a bucket (no matter what the spray is flying)
- Drop the spool into the bucket
- Move 1-1.5 meters away so that the line runs smoother
- Start winding
Due to the resistance of the water, tension is created and the line lies flat. I always use this way.
The second option would be to ask the other person to create tension for this you need:
This method is not very effective, as a person can get distracted and the tension during the winding process will be uneven. This can cause unnecessary loops to come off when casting.
The third will be the use of a special winding machine. It looks like this:
It is used quite simply:
- We put a bobbin on the working part
- We fix it with the help of cones
- Use a nut to adjust the tension force
Well, the fourth option to create tension is to use a book. Be careful, this method is not suitable for winding the braid, as it will tear the book and collect pieces of paper. Winding is done like this:
- We take a book at least a centimeter thick
- Open the book in the middle and skip the line there
- It remains to close the book and start winding
All these methods are only insurance for the first cast, and it makes no sense to say which one is better. After the first cast and stretching of the line on the pond, the line will take on the required tension. It depends on the severity of the rig, casting distance, and many other small factors.
However, you should not ignore this step, here is an example of winding with and without tension:
We connect backing and main line
When the main line runs out, we need to attach the backing. You can connect the braid and the backing with any knot for connecting two lines, for example, a gripper, for this:
- We go around one of the woods of the second
- We make 5-7 turns with the short end of the line around the long
- We pass the short end under the twist
- Tighten the knot
We repeat the same operations with the second line and we get the following connection:
After connecting, throw the bobbin with backing into the water and continue winding until about 1-1.5mm remains to the bobbin edge. Depending on the rigidity of the line, this distance can be increased or decreased. If the fishing line is rigid, the distance needs to be increased to prevent the loops from coming off when the bow is opened.
Now we need to tie the end of the backing to the spool, which we will use for fishing. I have a spare spool so I will save a lot of time. If you do not have a spool, you will first have to rewind the entire rig to one reel, then to the second, and only then start tying the backing to the main (working) spool.
How to wind the line on a reel: tips for beginners
It is always difficult for a beginner amateur angler to comprehend all the “wisdom” and secrets of fishing. One of these “tricks” is the system of the correct winding of the fishing line on the purchased reel. But the correct location of the fishing line on the reel affects the fishing result.
Rewinding the line from the reel
The assistant should gradually release the line (scrolling the pencil) and keep the reel itself straight. Fixes the bobbin in different ways, as long as there is enough imagination.
When self-spinning, you need to observe that the line does not twist, for this, pay attention to the bottom of the reel. If you miss the twisting, then the tangling of the fishing line cannot be avoided. Wrap a rag on your finger or put on a glove (so as not to cut yourself) and hold the line with it at the beginning of the spool (to control the tension).
Line quantity and tension
Remember, you need to wind a new line, as the old one can break at any time and cause a lot of trouble.
While fishing, observe the behavior of the line, if it constantly waddles over the side, then perhaps it should be moved away from the edge by half a millimeter. This way you can eliminate the inconvenience.
This reel is designed to hold one hundred meters of line.
- First, open the line guide (special bow on the reel).
- Then, starting from small and further in ascending order, we pass the fishing line through each ring, we reach the spool and fasten the fishing line on the spool by tying a knot, or cling to a stupor.
- At first, wind a couple of turns with your hands, and then turn the handle of the reel, carefully observing the uniformity of the laying of the fishing line.
Spinning reel winding
The amount of line is also indicated in the reel markings. Therefore, study the coil very carefully before purchasing.
- Wrap the fishing line cross to cross, so it is more reliable and leave 1-1.5 mm still free.
- Before the winding itself, you need to adjust the spinning washers (4-6 pieces).
- The new reel is tuned for cylindrical winding. You can also adjust for straight or reverse winding cone.
For setting the washers, instructions are attached to the new reel, some washers are on top of the axis near the spool, while others are inside. If the arrangement of the washers is upper, then this is a coil with a front functionality, if it is an internal one, then with a rear functionality, respectively, the winding adjustment is different.
Winding on a baitcasting reel
A baitcasting reel is a separate type of an inertia reel. In it, the thickness of the fishing line must exactly match the inscription on the reel.
How To Tips for Easy Restring of Weed Eater with 2 strings
Correctness of winding on this reel:
- Use a knot to secure the fishing line.
- Place the reel on the spinning rod and pull the braid through the right ring.
- Tighten the brake and clutch.
- Carefully wind the line by turning the spool handle.
- Carefully adjust the desired tension using the finger cut protection.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. This is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this painful question. Explore the article and find out how the line winds on the trimmer reel.
The order of winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. this point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it off and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing groove or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the line must be inserted into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20 cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be the assembly of the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, trying to tighten the line without displacing the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a characteristic click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimmer blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- fishing line comes in different thicknesses and with different sections. The best option for winding is the “native” line for this model;
- never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a substitution may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- the line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop each time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.
Preparation for winding the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
- Compact Power Trimmers.
Straight bar trimmer
This model provides the ability to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily unscrewed by hand in a clockwise direction.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
- First, the head must be disassembled, for this we press with our fingers on two latches, which are located on the body of the head at 90 degrees from the entrance, and remove the top cover.
- After you remove the top cover, you need to get the cord holder, while being careful not to lose the spring, as well as the tap holes through which the fishing line is fed. Measure out the correct amount of line and fold it in half.
- Place the folded line in the middle over the holder (there is a special slot in it) and start winding the cord so that each mustache of the two falls into its own compartment of the holder.
- Leave a free length of the mustache about 15 cm, fix them in the special slots of the holder and install it in the lower part of the head.
- Pull the whiskers out through the eyes and install the top head cover, aligning the side latches.
- As a result, you got the head correctly seated with the fishing line, you can continue to work.
And finally, a video on how to quickly thread the line into the trimmer head.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both antennae are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. Assembling the coil and attaching it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the fold into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While it is very easy to change your line, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just need to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small electric bottom motor trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on snaps, then press on the sides on the base of the snaps so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the trimmer and how to pull the drum out of it.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the consumption of fuel or energy increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is longer than the other by 0.1-0.15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Locate the slot inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrowhead cannot be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.