Huter Trimmer How To Refill A Fishing Line
The trimmer is an excellent modern device designed for mowing unnecessary grass, and its main advantage is that you can use this technique in places where a regular lawn mower will simply not be able to get because of its massiveness. It is necessary to understand in more detail what kind of trimmers are, and how to choose the best option for a particular summer cottage.
What is a trimmer?
The basis of this equipment is the following elements:
- An engine whose main function is the rotation of the cutting head at the end of the rod;
- Directly the head, consisting of a coil on which either a fishing line or a knife can be wound;
- Knives or fishing line rotating at high speed, which are the main cutting part of the device, about how to charge the fishing line into the trimmer, we will go a little further.
An electric apparatus is inferior in power to a gasoline one, so it is ideal for working on a standard plot of land that adjoins a house with an electric energy source. The main positive aspects of this technique are the absence of noise during operation, light weight, ease of operation and, of course, environmental friendliness.
As for gas trimmers, such equipment, of course, is more mobile, so it can be safely transported from place to place and get rid of annoying vegetation in any area. It is not necessary to use electric energy at all, which has a positive effect on the functionality of such an apparatus – the cutting nozzles can be changed while working with the most diverse weeds of their type.
One of the most common attachments is fishing line, so you should dwell on this element in more detail.
Types of fishing line for trimmers
As a rule, the separation of fishing line is based on a different diameter of the samples, which can vary from 1.2 to 4 mm. The most commonly used material is with a thickness of 2 mm, but in no case should we forget that the choice should depend primarily on the trimmer model.
Here there is one main rule: the more power the device has, the thicker the fishing line should be.
This element can also differ in the type of its section. So, it can have a round (suitable for cutting simple grass) or square (for mowing a soft green cover) shape, sharp edges (tall grass) or it can be equipped with notches that are ideal for thin-diameter grass.
Do not forget that with the help of a fishing line it is allowed to mow exclusively grass, and for other, rougher vegetation, knives must be used.
Next, you should consider in more detail the process of how to insert the fishing line into the trimmer correctly. Indeed, it is with this procedure that many consumers often have difficulties.
How to fill the line in the trimmer?
Any machine for mowing vegetation is necessarily equipped with a coil, which, in turn, may already differ for different models with a filing system (automatic, semi-automatic and manual). It is from this parameter that it is worth starting from before deciding how to fill the line into the trimmer.
In order to fill the fishing line into the trimmer, it is necessary to take at least 5 meters of material, which is then folded in half. The center of the cutting element must be inserted in a place specially designed for this, and then, using the visual tips on the reel that indicate the direction, the cutting device should be wound. At the end of all work, the cover, of course, will need to be tightened.
Fishing line adjustment
One of the main rules when replacing and adjusting equipment is that any manipulations with the mechanism should be carried out exclusively with the engine turned off and the plug of the device disconnected from the network.
Perhaps these tips will tell you how to fill the line into the trimmer as correctly as possible and, accordingly, give your site a neat and aesthetic appearance. All that is required is to correctly select the type of cutting material necessary for the type and, of course, determine the category of the most used trimmer.
- What types of woods are
- How to remove or refill a fishing line in a trimmer
Since we considered the choice of the trimmer in the previous article, today we will tell you how to properly trim the trimmer with a fishing line, and which is better to choose based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to use it actively, sooner or later the question will arise about replacing the fishing line, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, then intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
What types of woods are
The most common type of fishing line, which is suitable for almost all types of coils – round cord. This is an ordinary fishing line suitable for mowing juicy grass, but mowing dead wood with it will be much more difficult, and even more so it can not cope with the bush.
As a rule, the diameter by which young grass can be mowed does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the more coarse grass it can overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharp edges in the form of an asterisk or square, this option is more suitable for mowing dry grass just due to the existing sharp edges, but its disadvantage is more wear and tear and is inferior in strength to round cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic dents, scales and notches, such a product makes less noise, but they are used only on lawn mowers, since the exit of such a thread from the reel is difficult, it is used most often with discs into which segments are inserted. The disadvantage of this product is its fragility.
Most often in gas trimmers with an engine power of more than 1.5 hp apply cords with a metal cable inside.
This thread is ideal for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core positively affects the wear resistance of this material.
The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the listed opponents.
How to remove or refill a fishing line in a trimmer
It takes about 10-15 minutes to wind the line. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic case with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for convenient winding of fishing line.
Almost all trimmer coils have a similar mounting principle, this is the central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to pull the fishing line of the required length. The photo below shows some examples of different coils for trimmers.
The bobbins of the trimmers, the motor of which is located near the ground, have a different mount to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides that need to be pressed, otherwise the thread replacement is no different from other cassettes.
Video: Huter Trimmer How To Refill A Fishing Line
The principle of the correct winding of the fishing line is similar in all of the above cases, so for example, consider the standard version with two antennae.
To remove the reel with fishing line, it is necessary to unscrew the screw located in the center, but note that the thread there is left, so you have to turn it clockwise, this is done specially so that during operation it does not open under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and take out the reel, on which the fishing line is directly wound.
Having measured the necessary length and folded in half, you need to fill the fishing line into the reel, removing, in the end, its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After this, it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order by threading the ends of the cord into two corresponding holes.
If you have doubts or it’s not entirely clear how to charge the fishing line to the trimmer, we recommend watching the video: how to wind the fishing line into the lawn mowing properly.
In this video, the instructor will open the trimmer head in steps, measure out the required amount of fishing line, usually from two to four meters, and demonstrate assembly and installation on the trimmer.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs – both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- A bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- Eyes – through them the fishing line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The fishing line does not automatically extend;
- The cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1 – a bite occurred, i.E. Clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2 – too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3 – fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.