Installing The Circular Saw On The Table
Installing a circular saw in a homemade table
After making the main body, the saw is installed in a homemade table.
- At the stages of manufacturing the table structure, all the necessary holes were cut in the tabletop.
- When installing a stationary saw, it is necessary to perfectly adjust the inclination of the tool, otherwise the sawing of wooden parts will be of poor quality. The first step is to install the tool on the finished tabletop in all grooves and determine whether you need to change the slope. If the angle does not correspond to the desired one, then you will have to adjust it using special bolts, this is the easiest option. Or you can cut out special pieces that will be attached to the tabletop, and already on top of them, at the right angle, the saw will be attached.
- If the tool is in place correctly, all holes converge, you need to position and fasten the sole to the table with bolts and tighten them from the inside using nuts and lock washers.
- After the hand-held circular saw is installed, you need to take a block slightly larger than those with which the tilt angle was adjusted and fix it on the tabletop in the place where the saw platform was marked.
Selection of tools and materials
At the beginning of work, you need to make sure that all the necessary raw materials are always at hand, as well as a set of tools that would be useful throughout all actions. To create a table, you need the following materials:
- Plywood about 2-3 centimeters thick or an identical piece of chipboard;
- Wooden bars measuring 40×40 mm;
- Metal construction corners. 12-15 pieces;
- Self-tapping screws of different lengths and bolts of different classifications;
- Glue used in carpentry;
- Means for treating the product against moisture and rust;
- External socket;
This set of materials is required for a standard construction of ordinary dimensions with an area of just over one square meter. You can work on such a table with almost any hand-held circular saw, except for tools with small discs, since during attachment to the tabletop the cutting depth sags, on average by 1-2 centimeters.
The following tools will be useful to you for work:
- Marker or thick pencil;
- Roulette, metal ruler, corner;
- Sanding machine;
How to make a table for a circular saw with your own hands?
- Selection of tools and materials
- Manufacturing process
- Installing a circular saw in a homemade table
- Safety engineering
The circular saw is an excellent maneuverable tool with high productivity. However, like all tools, the saw has some disadvantages. For example, you may have trouble cutting large pieces of wood. In such a situation, a special table, made by hand, will help you. This design will allow you to easily and quickly cut large parts without unnecessary problems.
It is quite simple to create with your own hands a multifunctional design for an electric circular saw, however, it is necessary that the manufacturing process goes strictly according to certain stages. Strict adherence to the advice is necessary so that there are no problems or difficulties.
- First of all, each master must create a drawing and a plan for the future product. According to the drawings, the work is much easier to perform, the risks of making something wrong or of poor quality are reduced. At the planning stage, you need to take into account the dimensions of the future structure as clearly as possible.
- After creating a plan and a rough sketch of the product, as well as preparing all the necessary materials and a set of tools, we begin to manufacture the table body. Align all the edges of the bar with a plane. Then, from sheet material and leveled bars, we assemble the base, the dimensions of which were determined at the planning stage. The working surface area is usually about 1-1.5 square meters. All parts are attached to each other using bolts and screws. At the end of the work, we get a box without the top and bottom parts.
- Next comes the manufacture of a tabletop for a sawing machine, it is cut out of plywood or chipboard sheet based on the size of the frame. The table top should be the same area or slightly larger. The main thing is that it does not outweigh the body to one side. If the table top is made of non-laminated material, then it should be sanded and trimmed. Further, using a ruler and a pencil on the table top, the marking of the attachment points of the saw to it, as well as the top of the table to the main body, is performed.
- The next step is to cut a hole for the saw itself. For this, measurements are taken of the support shoe of the sawing machine, which will later be used on this structure. On the reverse side of the tabletop, the corresponding markings are made, which will accurately determine the attachment point and the area along which you need to cut the circular disc. For accurate marking, it is better to draw axes connecting exactly in the center of the plywood sheet. After determining the axes and making accurate markings, you need to cut a hole for the disc, as well as drill holes for attaching the saw shoe.
- The circular saw is attached to the plywood tabletop from the back (inside). To do this, you need to make 4 holes in the shoe of the saw itself, their diameter should be about 1 centimeter. Then you should completely align the saw and match all the markings so that the tool is level, all the marks and holes correspond to each other, the disk fits freely into the central hole of the tabletop. In order for the saw to be securely attached to the table, it is necessary to use special countersunk head bolts, the head of such bolts must be deeply immersed in the tool sole and not stick out.
- Then the saw is set aside and the assembly of the table continues. In order for the structure to be stable. Particular attention must be paid to her legs. The legs diverging downward will provide the best stability of the structure. They are fixed with large bolts and nuts.
- The next step is to attach the tabletop to the cabinet. At a distance of about 3 centimeters from the edge, you need to make holes in the corners of the plywood, then holes are drilled in the corner bars for further fastening the bolts in them. Next, the parts are connected using steel fittings M8.
- After the structure is assembled, it is necessary to fix a special switch on the table, which will regulate the turning on and off of the saw with an electric motor. To do this, cut a hole in the housing for the switch and fix it with bolts, special glue or a construction screed. There must be electrical power from the switch to the saw itself, which means it must be connected to any electrical source in your workshop using a cable. It attaches from the side of the bottom of the countertop using construction fasteners.
- Then you can make special stops. First, a cross beam is made, it greatly simplifies the work with the structure. It is carried out mainly from plywood or chipboard. First, you need to cut 2 strips equal in length to the width of the table, the second side should be about 100 millimeters, the corners of the strips must be rounded.
- Then the workpieces are ground and fastened with screws at a slight angle, a metal corner is screwed inside. After that, the strips are attached to the table on movable furniture rails, which will allow these stops to move along the entire table.
- If you wish, you can make various additions to this design, it all depends on your skills. Some craftsmen remove the safety guard and all the devices for adjusting the tilt of the blade, this allows you to get an additional few millimeters of cut. Some replace the factory platform with a turntable of their own manufacture, with a professional approach this also gives a number of advantages in work.
- The construction is completed with the stage of processing and preparation for operation. The entire table should once again be sanded, wiped and varnished or with special agents that ensure durability of use and repell moisture and rust.
- Before using the saw on the table, you should check the saw blade itself using a square, since some unscrupulous manufacturers do not set the blade exactly at an angle of 90 degrees, as a result, the cuts turn out to be beveled.
- If during work you plan to use the table also for storing tools on it, then the dimensions of the tabletop should be more than a square meter in area.
- For manufacturing, it is better to use high-quality and durable materials, otherwise the table will not last long.
- The table can be supplemented with anything you like, for example, some manage to attach a special vacuum cleaner or a riving knife with a disc protection to it, so that chips and residues from cutting wood do not fly around.
- Choose a place for the table in advance, and also make sure that the floor where the table will be installed is level.
- If you have the desire and certain skills, you can make a folding tabletop or a lifting table, but this will take more time and materials.
- If the table shakes or vibrates during operation, adjust the feet with suitable pieces of rubber.
- It is preferable to carry out work with wood, metal and chemicals outdoors or in a well-ventilated area;
- The workplace must be kept clean and tidy;
- Periodically it is necessary to check the stability of the structure, as well as the serviceability of equipment and electrical appliances;
- Before turning on the saw, you need to make sure that it is well fixed;
- When working, you need to use special glasses and gloves;
- Keep a first aid kit close at hand.
For how to make a table for a circular saw with your own hands, see the following.
DIY circular saw table, installation, fastening
Electric motor for circular
Homemade machines are equipped in most cases with an engine from an old washing machine. The main features are increased service life and efficiency. The revolutions of such engines are not high, which makes working on a circular saw, assembled by hand, safer, longer, and has a positive effect on the result. The use of a special three-phase motor requires a 380 volt network. If one is not available, you will have to use a starting and operating capacitor, which leads to additional costs.
Circular saw table drawings
There are other ways to make a do-it-yourself circular saw frame. Here are two more examples.
Purpose of the circular saw
Before you start assembling the machine, you need to clearly define its purpose. A firmly fixed table with a saw slot is enough for harvesting firewood and simply cutting large pieces of wood. This type is common in villages and rural areas, the machines do not differ in safety and increased functionality.
For a more varied range of joinery jobs, you will need a better option. The circular must be equipped with a coordinate table with special guides, this allows you to change the degree. Manufacturing small items requires increased safety. Speed control is set, disc change is provided.
DIY circular in action
Manual device from angle grinder
A lot of work is done with the popular angle grinder tool. From this tool you will get an indispensable circular saw made by your own hands. It is enough to make a sliding stop from the material at hand. The design assumes the presence of two small segments of the corners, which are located parallel to the disk. The connection is made using bolts, the clearance is adjusted with the supplied washers.
Install the strap clamp with the screw on the bottom. Next, a strip of metal with a hole is attached, in another case, the structure can be single, but this is how the thickness of the metal is lost. The next step is to cut the holes in the body through which the handle is attached for basic work. A hand-made handle is a horn or a bracket, a metal rod or pipe is taken as a basis. It is worth considering riveting, if the ends are relaxed, the handle may bend during mechanical action on it.
Making a workbench
- Mark and cut out the desired size tabletop from plywood. Sand the surface.
- In the lower part on the table top we mark the places for the holes for fixing the saw. To do this, you need to remove the blade and set the saw in the desired place, making notes. On the surface of the hole for the bolts we countersink, and the bolt hats need to be sanded.
- If the material will be cut at different angles, the hole for the disc must be made in the form of an inverted trapezoid.
- Apply the stiffener attachment points on the worktop (from below, at a distance of about 8 cm from the edge). The legs need to be fixed to the ribs. The ribs are screwed on with self-tapping screws at intervals of 25 cm and glued with PVA.
- The legs are made of a bar 100 cm long.Then they make a screed from a bar for additional strength.
- To be able to adjust the height of the table legs from below, fasten nuts with M14 bolts.
- We fix the saw from below.
- We fix the socket on the inside of the table. We pull the wire from it to the switch.
- We make a parallel emphasis. Cut off two strips of plywood, the same length as the width of the table. The width of the strips is 10 cm. We make the corners round. Grind and fasten both strips with self-tapping screws. Then we cut two strips of the same length, but three times wider. We fasten them. This will be the guide. We fasten the stop and the guide. We set a right angle relative to the disc. We fix the rollers.
Required tools and materials
First, the material for the working surface of the table is selected. Most often these are plywood or chipboard boards, or other types of wood material. After installation, they require additional processing to protect against moisture and subsequent destruction. Some craftsmen also use metal, such a table will be stronger and more reliable. But you should not use plastics in this matter, they are not suitable for such purposes.
So, to build a homemade circular saw table, you will need:
- Work surface material. If wood is used, then joiners recommend taking an option with a thickness of 20 mm.
- Beam for frame construction. In most cases, wood is used. You need to prepare 5 bars.
- Wooden dowels for fastening. Better to take with a margin, they are inexpensive.
- Metal mounts. Minimum. 4 pieces.
- Metal corners. 10 pieces.
- Self-tapping bolts.
Of course, you won’t be able to make a table with your bare hands. Ideally, you should have the following set of tools:
- For measurements and drawings (tape measure, ruler, pencil, marker).
- For cutting (electric jigsaw).
- For wood processing (milling cutter, planer, sander, fine sandpaper).
- For fastening (drill, screwdriver).
The accuracy of the work is important, therefore, the mill must be equipped with a marking ruler. With the help of a router, a small groove is made for installing a ruler. If there is no such tool, then the groove can be prepared with a chisel. The surface of the tabletop is carefully processed with a grinder and sandpaper. It is most convenient to fix the ruler using self-tapping bolts. This modification will allow you to cut the material with millimeter precision.
DIY circular saw table
You can make a table for a circular saw with your own hands even without special training. This solution will create a truly comfortable workplace and save money. It’s also a great experience. In order to avoid mistakes, you need to carefully prepare for the manufacturing process, learn all the nuances of preparing and performing work.
In accordance with the previously prepared dimensions, the working surface is cut out. By the way, you can even use an old countertop from, for example, a kitchen table. The main thing is that the material is strong and withstands all mechanical loads.
An important characteristic is the thickness of the countertop. Carpenters say that it is best when the thickness is 2 cm. Such a tabletop will be strong, from what material it would not be made, and will leave a large working surface for the saw. Simply put, the more the blade sticks out of the machine, the deeper it can cut.
If possible, the edges of the board should be milled and sanded. This is important not only for the beautiful appearance of the structure, but also for its durability and comfort of work. And nobody wants splinters.
A frame is made for convenient work with cross-cut. You can make such a carriage from a thin base and two low walls. For this, wood and plywood are suitable. To make the structure mobile, guides for the table are prepared. These can be small parts of a steel pipe with a cross section of 2 × 1 cm. Pipe sections are mounted in grooves that were previously cut by a mill. Such a simple design will greatly increase the capabilities and comfort of the machine.
A hole is made in the tabletop for a circular saw. Remember that it must match the size of the disk. Also, on the surface of the tabletop, you need to draw the installation and attachment site of the saw.