Is it possible to connect a screwdriver to the charger
Homemade power supply
When working with a soldering iron, it is necessary to check the connection to the network of the battery cells and the self-made unit; if there is a connection, it is necessary to disconnect all power sources for safe operation.
The alteration works are performed step by step, to obtain the result you need a little experience when soldering and installing boards:
- Dismantling and dismantling the old battery case;
- In accordance with the diagram, install the elements on the circuit board, solder the contacts and connections.
- After soldering, check the output voltage with a multimeter.
- Assemble the board to the battery case.
- Connect appropriate wires to the instrument’s low voltage outputs.
- Check operation by connecting the converted device to the network.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
If it was possible to purchase a power supply unit with the corresponding indicators on the market, installation and alteration is carried out in several simple steps:
- Dismantle the old battery housing, remove the spent elements.
- Install a new power supply in such a way that it fits snugly against the case, if necessary, you can glue it, connect high voltage wires (output from a 220 volt outlet).
- Connect the low voltage terminals to the power supply of the electric motor of the wrench, in the absence of contacts, the wires will have to be re-soldered.
- Assemble the body after alteration and install the unit on the screwdriver.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
It must be remembered that compact power supplies are heated in an enclosed space, therefore several holes must be drilled on different sides of the case for ventilation.
Connecting to an external battery
An external battery source can be of increased capacity, it is necessary to select a cell suitable for voltage. The battery is mainly used from an uninterruptible power supply. Alteration is not difficult, does not require large financial costs.
For alteration, you need a wire with a cross section of at least 2.5 mm, up to 2 meters long. It is necessary to disassemble the tool, remove the old battery cells, connect the wire to the terminals. Make a neat hole for the power cord, assemble a converted screwdriver and try it out at work.
Connecting to the power supply from a computer
Screwdriver connected to the computer’s power supply
These PSUs are distinguished by the presence of their own cooling system, protection against voltage surges. Only two output wires are used for connection, yellow. 12 volts “plus”, black ground.
The disadvantage of this option is that the power supplies must be worn during work and installed in a well-ventilated place.
It is possible to attach a handle for mobility. It is important to understand that cordless screwdrivers with a required voltage of more than 14.4 volts will not work from this method of supplying energy.
DIY screwdriver alteration
There are enough craftsmen in everyday life of the household, there are many ways how to convert a screwdriver to mains power. It is enough to provide the required voltage for the electric drive of the device.
Disassembled cordless screwdriver
In some cases, for alteration, it is enough to use the charger from the kit, it is available, because supplied complete with a screwdriver. It is quite simple to remake such a structure, it is enough to disassemble the screwdriver, connect the output contacts on the charger with the drive wires. The voltage produced by the charger after the alteration corresponds to the technical characteristics of the drive, there is no need to worry about the safety of the electrical part. It is also worth noting that there is no need to disassemble the device completely. only the wires designated for use need to be connected. A significant drawback is the size of the charger, it is not convenient to constantly move it during work and causes discomfort.
The power supply of the screwdriver can be achieved by several types of blocks. The case accommodates some of them, the rest are outside.
There are many ways to alter a cordless screwdriver, all have pros and cons.
- In the case of the old battery, a place is organized for the finished power supply unit. The alteration is simple, no intervention in the electrical circuit is required, it is enough to carefully perform the work, to achieve a perfect appearance. The disadvantages are the time spent searching for a block with the appropriate voltage and size. Also, small devices usually heat up in an enclosed space, it is necessary to provide the device with ventilation by making holes in the case.
- Installing a homemade energy source is a more complex solution, it requires finding the necessary radio parts and understanding the circuit. The advantages of this method of alteration are low financial costs, no losses when using a low voltage cable, no changes in the appearance of the device.
- An external power supply unit can be used when working in one place, since the device’s mobility and compactness are lost. There are also costs associated with finding a suitable voltage for the electric drive of the screwdriver.
- The most common external type device is a computer power supply. The advantages are that it is easy to find on disassembly for a reasonable price, there are no complicated rework processes. However, the bulky design will not be to everyone’s taste.
How to power a screwdriver while maintaining its autonomy
There are situations when you have to work in the absence of electricity. Powering a screwdriver without a 220 network is possible in several available ways. In such cases, if the battery of the device is faulty, and alteration from the mains is impossible, there are several ways to activate the wrench:
- Replace the battery cells inside the battery with new ones purchased from radio parts.
- Using an external rechargeable power source such as a UPS battery.
- Connected and powered by car battery.
It is important to remember that any rework requires technical skills and safety precautions.
Connecting to car battery
Connecting to a car battery will make it possible to work autonomously without a power supply. The parameters of the screwdriver can be from 10.8 to 14.4 volts, a charged car battery is capable of delivering an average of 12.5 volts of voltage. To use, you need to connect two power wires with crocodiles to the screwdriver.
Connecting to car battery
The alteration is carried out after the disassembly operation, then connecting the power wires to the wires of the electric drive of the screwdriver. In the absence of a soldering iron, it is possible to simply connect with a twist, but this does not guarantee reliable contact. After connecting the contacts, insulate the wires and test the tool during operation by connecting to the battery.
Screwdriver battery device
The main components of power tool batteries:
- the case on which the contacts are located;
- thermistor, which is needed to protect against overheating (not all models have);
The main types of batteries and their features:
- Nickel-cadmium. they are cheaper than others, they are lightweight. The downside is the memory effect. They need to be discharged to zero and charged to the end. If this is not done, the capacity will decrease.
- Nickel metal hydride. This type has a less pronounced memory effect, therefore, such devices are more expensive. If the Ni-MH battery is idle for more than 30 days, a full recharge is required.
- Lithium-ion. One of the most popular types. They do not work well in the cold: they discharge faster, and with regular use and storage at subzero temperatures, their service life is reduced. But otherwise, these batteries are better than others. The high cost of Li-Ion is fully justified by the speed of charging and impressive capacity, as well as the absence of the aforementioned memory effect.
Battery Storage Tips
In order for the battery to serve for a long time, it is necessary to store it correctly:
- Do not leave the battery in the instrument.
- The place must be dry. Dampness negatively affects battery components.
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature.
These were general requirements, details are in the table.
How long does it take to charge the screwdriver
The indicator is individual. It varies from 30 minutes to 7 hours and depends on the capacity. Usually the time is written in the manuals for use.
Most chargers are equipped with an indication, so you can see how many percent are left until the end of the charge.
Charging methods without using a dedicated charger
If for some reason the memory from the set is out of order, you can use a third-party device.
In this case, it is important to take into account the characteristics of the battery when selecting such a charger. Voltage and capacity must match. Otherwise, the battery could be damaged.
Interesting: The DF457DWE impact screwdriver comes with 2 batteries. If one is discharged, you can simply insert the second and continue working.
If there is no charger at all, there are three alternative methods.
External sources of electricity
The option described above also belongs to the category of external devices for charging the battery. Alternatively, you can connect the instrument to a different power source, such as an old battery, to act as a power bank. The main thing is that it is working and has identical parameters. But here remarkable knowledge of electrical engineering is required: it is necessary to create a chain with the help of crocodile adapters. You will need a 10 amp fuse, and you will also need to use oversized wiring.
NEW DeWALT Tools 12V MAX XTREME SCREWDRIVER (Watch Before You Buy!)
Tip: if you need a power tool to work for a long time, it is better to select a model among professional options. Their batteries are much more powerful than household models.
An option that will fit almost any battery. Usually this is a model with crocodile clips. Often the user has the ability to set the required values. The method will not harm the battery, since the charging process will proceed in the same way as with the complete charger.
General rules for charging the battery
If you do everything right, the battery will last a long time. Here are the basic principles for properly charging a screwdriver:
If the battery is being charged for the first time, it must be fully discharged and then fully charged before use.
The temperature in the room should be between 10 and 40 °.
What Happens if You Stick a Fork in an Outlet?
To prevent the unit from overheating, it is necessary to disconnect the storage battery (accumulator) from the charger as soon as it is charged.
If the screwdriver is not used for a long time, it is necessary to recharge it once a month for preventive purposes.
Other ways to supply power
In search of a solution to the question “is it possible to connect a screwdriver to a charger”, you can stop at charging with a car AK-block. Modules with manually adjustable current, voltage are applicable. The connection is absolutely not complicated. it is enough to connect the input channels of the tool motor to the contacts of the car charger.
A computer module will work too
Another solution to the problem of powering a screwdriver. mounting it to a computer power supply. This option is applicable to those modules that are equipped with a mechanical trigger. The positive aspect is that the unit is cooled by a cooler and is protected from exaggeration of the load by the built-in special system.
Such an assembly is arranged only using power modules for 300-350 W and a current of 12 volts, not less than 16 A. For instruments with a voltage of more than 14 volts, this power supply option does not work.
The user may want to hide an unaesthetic unit in a beautiful case, then it is recommended not to forget to arrange ventilation in it.
Is it possible to connect the screwdriver directly to the charger
The screwdriver is convenient for its ubiquity. independence from limiting wires makes it possible to wade into hard-to-reach areas. A set of two power modules allows you to power one of them while working with the other. However, each battery pack has a finite number of charge / discharge periods, failing once they are used up. In inexpensive tools, blocks break faster, and the user receives a gadget with a working motor, but no power. Then the dilemma arises “is it possible to connect the screwdriver directly to the charging”.
You can feed such a screwdriver by connecting it to the network through a power supply unit, because its motor operates at 220 volts.
On our own
For users with special knowledge and skills, there will be no difficult problem “is it possible to power a screwdriver from a charger without special means”, because assembly of the feeding block is possible with your own hands. Instead of damaged elements, a power module assembled according to the scheme is inserted into the case. The outgoing voltage is monitored, the wires are powered, the case is locked.
The solution to the problem “is it possible to connect the screwdriver through the charger” can be an alternative option for powering the screwdriver. installing the power supply into the empty case of the tool power unit.
Before starting the action, it is necessary to prevent overheating of the block, for which holes are arranged in the case in advance, which will provide air movement, heat removal. It is advisable to reduce the time of continuous work with a screwdriver with such an improvement to 15 minutes.
A ready-made block is purchased, it is selected according to the size of the case, technical indicators. The most suitable for use is the pulse version of the module, it is small in size, lightweight. The use of modules of domestic production from the times of the last century is not recommended. they have large volumes with low efficiency.
Unsuitable batteries are removed from the bed, and the power supply is placed in their place. The contacts are energized, the case is closed. The assembled hybrid gadget is ready to work from the network.
- Cables can be extended for convenience.
- It is necessary to monitor the quality of the assembly: the structure should not be able to touch the metal elements, otherwise the circuit cannot be avoided. It is best to leave some space between the transformer and the board, which will have a positive effect on cooling.
- If any parts of the structure are very hot, it is possible to install modules that remove excess heat, or to arrange ventilation slots.
How to connect to the charging station
Before deciding whether it is possible to charge the battery of a screwdriver with a charger, you need to remember that the charging unit of the screwdriver supplies a low voltage, with a long wire length, the voltage is lost, so it would be rational to connect through a meter cord with a cross section of 2.5 mm2 or more.
- Wires are attached to the contacts of the charging unit of the screwdriver. Spoiled nutrients are removed from the nest.
- A groove is made in the case, a cable is passed through it. It is proposed to seal the entry point with elastic material so that there is no backlash and the wire is held securely in place.
- Since the nest has lost its weight after the removal of unusable elements, it is recommended to restore the balance by inserting some load into the freed space, otherwise the hand will get very tired during work, eventually harming the health of the joints and ligaments.
- The cable and previously attached wires are connected together, the body is assembled.
The prospect of the operability of the converted tool, the “pros and cons” of its use
The condition for the successful reconstruction of the old screwdriver is the serviceability of its main parts: the motor, the gearbox, the start button, and the clamping fist. Only the feeding element is subject to alteration, so the rest of the “filling” must be in working order.
Of course, as a result of design changes, the tool will lose its main advantage. mobility. It will entirely depend on the presence of a nearby electrical point with a voltage of 220 volts. But it will remain operational for a long period of time and even receive a number of advantages:
- cost savings;
- no need for periodic recharging;
- complete elimination of the possibility of loss of functionality of the product after prolonged inactivity.
One way to solve the power problem is to use extension cords, but this option is not always available. Nevertheless, the power tool will remain useful and can serve in the home workshop.
Various devices used when converting a screwdriver
The most optimal option for turning a cordless tool into a network tool is to use an external power supply. Its main purpose is to convert 220 Volts into a voltage acceptable for the product (12, 14, 18 Volts). It must correspond to the rated voltage for which the consumer is designed.
Practical tip: The amount of current coming out of the power supply should be approximately the same as the value specified in the performance of the screwdriver. Otherwise, the tool may not reach the required power for work.
Among the devices most often used when reworking screwdrivers, the following can be noted:
- power supplies from laptops or personal computers;
- car chargers;
- professional power supplies for screwdrivers.
The features of using the listed products are described in the following sections of the article.
Application of a computer power supply
These devices can have a power of 250-350 W, and the output voltage is 12 volts for a PC and up to 20 volts for laptops, which is quite enough for the operation of a power tool. First of all, you need to prepare the ends of the wire of the low-voltage part of the unit for connection to the screwdriver terminals.
In the case of an adapter from a laptop, it is enough to cut off the plug, determine the “positive” and “negative” conductors on the wire, mark and strip their ends.
When working with a power supply from a personal computer, the operation will be more difficult, since many wires come out of the low part, connected at the end into connectors.
The voltage of 3.3V, 5V and 12V comes out of the PC power supply via different wires. The main task is to choose the color of the conductors corresponding to the voltage of 12 Volts.
The procedure for selecting the required conductors:
- on the largest square connector (power), identify the green wire and connect through the button to any of the black wires of the same connector (the rest of the wires can be removed);
- on a smaller connector called “Molex,” the yellow wire and one of the black wires are selected;
- they are connected to the ends of an extension cable, which will later serve to connect a screwdriver.
Color-coded wires on the connectors of the computer power supply
Further connection of the instrument itself is carried out according to the step-by-step instructions:
- The battery case from the screwdriver is disassembled
- The batteries contained in it can be removed, but it is better to leave it in order to maintain a comfortable grip.
- A hole is made in the back of the case through which the cable from the adapter is passed
- The wires connecting the batteries to the battery contact terminals are cut and joined with the cable from the adapter
- The joints are carefully insulated
- The battery is assembled and docked with a screwdriver.
The final step is to check the functionality of the upgraded tool.
Conversion of a screwdriver to mains power
One of the common reasons for the failure of a screwdriver is battery wear, that is, the moment when the battery stops taking the charge necessary for the tool to operate. This always happens unexpectedly and always causes bewilderment: all units and mechanisms are in good working order, but it is impossible to achieve a result due to lack of power. Repairing a battery, like purchasing a new one, is not the cheapest way out. But, it is possible to convert the portable model into a network model, operating from a 220 V source, and return to working condition. How to do this will be discussed in this article.
- The prospect of the operability of the converted tool, the “pros and cons” of its use
- Various devices used when converting a screwdriver
- Application of a computer power supply
- Using a car battery charger
- Professional power supplies for screwdrivers
- The ability to connect screwdrivers to a 220 V network using various power supplies
Using a car battery charger
An adjustable analog device is the best option. It will act as a converter of 220 V AC voltage to 12-14 Volts DC consumed by the power tool. The advantage of this option is that there is no need to change anything in the design of the “charger”.
The connection is made as follows:
- in the disassembled battery from the screwdriver, it is necessary to cut the wires connecting the batteries to the contact terminals;
- through the hole made in the case, pass a cable 2.5-3 meters long, the ends of which are connected to the wires soldered to the battery terminals;
- switch opposite ends of the cable to the charger output;
- latch the battery, apply voltage. the tool is ready for use.
Appearance of a charger for car batteries
Practical tip: Do not use a cable that is too long to connect the impact wrench. This can affect its power. with a long length, current losses will be noticeable. This can be avoided by increasing the cross-section of the wires, but this will affect the convenience of work.
Professional power supplies for screwdrivers
These devices are the most convenient to use, as they are specially made for converting battery models into mains power tools. They are produced for different voltages: 12, 14, 18 and 24 volts.
Professional power supplies for screwdrivers
These devices do not need to be modified. they are already tuned to the specified parameters. Their connection will not be difficult. It consists in connecting the wires to the contact terminals of the screwdriver.
An important condition in all variants is the observance of the polarity and the avoidance of operation when the device is connected at the same time and the battery is operating.
The ability to connect screwdrivers to a 220 V network using various power supplies
Various devices, sometimes the most unexpected ones, can act as step-down transformers and converters for converting cordless tools into network ones. For example, drivers for LED lamps (12V) have proven themselves positively in this matter. Also, backup batteries of alarm systems are used quite successfully for this purpose.
The option of connecting a screwdriver from a car cigarette lighter is possible. Of course, it will not reach high power, but it will be able to tighten the screws in the garage or in the country.
Best Drill for 20 | Hyper Tough 18-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless
it is worth noting that not all breakdowns of a power tool force you to put an end to its operation. In the case of a cordless nutrunner that has a failed battery, you can easily find a way to restore its performance.