Jigsaw Saws Crooked How To Fix
How to learn to cut straight with a jigsaw
A description of the process for using a jigsaw correctly. How to cut with a jigsaw exactly. Nuances to be considered, principles of work and procedure.
How to learn to cut straight with a jigsaw
The jigsaw is an electric saw, which is an indispensable thing in every home. With this tool, you can cut metal structures, wood objects, plastic and tiles. Unlike a standard saw, using a jigsaw, you can cut out the most intricate shapes. Circles, triangles, stars, in general, almost anything you can imagine. However, with such extensive possibilities, it is often a problem in the smooth running of the jigsaw so that the resulting mowing lines are consistent with planned. How to cut smoothly with a jigsaw? We will help you figure it out.
Some features of the process
The first step is to select the correct jigsaw file. The variety of files allows you to choose the option that will correspond to both the material of the original workpiece and the final required result.
In general, a jigsaw can be with a pendulum and with a normal stroke. In the second option, for an even cut, the blade must be moved clearly vertically, cutting the material upward. Due to the high speed generated, the blade wears out more slowly.
When working with a pendulum stroke tool, the principle is essentially the same, only the preferred material for processing is soft wood or plastic; difficulties with steel can arise.
In order to make a straight cut, it is necessary to choose a wide blade, it is better if the jigsaw has the function “Smooth start”, which will avoid sharp movements at the initial stage. If it is necessary to cut a round hole, you first need to drill the original version, into which the necessary file is inserted. The cutting itself is carried out according to the marking. If the original version cannot be cut, then a plunge cut is required. To do this, the jigsaw is tilted at an angle until it touches the material, this allows you to make a through hole, and then make what is already necessary according to the marking.
Sawing along the edge of the workpiece is allowed, but you must make sure of its initial evenness, without this the jigsaw cuts crookedly. If the edge is uneven, then only correct marking can fix it.
When working with wood sheets of small thickness, there is a risk of chips. To prevent this, the sheet should be placed face down.
The names speak for themselves. In the first case, the panels are installed vertically, the beam, installed on the guides, acts as a bracket. The ability to rotate it to a right angle allows you to cut the material in any plane. The horizontal version assumes the presence of a sawing table, the mechanism itself and a carriage that ensures the movement of the saw along.
In order to get started, it is necessary to carry out preliminary activities and prepare:
- Protective glasses;
- Machine oil;
- The material to be processed;
- Clamps guiding the tape measure;
- Construction pencil;
- The jigsaw itself.
The sawing process is carried out as follows:
- Strengthening the source material. In our example, the starting material will be wood. The harvested wood sample and the guide, which can be played by a regular flat rail, must fit between two clamps. The sample is placed on a certain elevation so that the jigsaw cannot rest during the cutting process. After that, using a tape measure, it is necessary to accurately measure the desired width of the product, which should turn out, and draw the cut line with a pencil. Then place the guide at the desired distance from the line and secure with the clamps. The jigsaw with the guide set with a saw in the direction of the marked mowing line is also secured with a clamp. You need to fix it well, but not overdo it. The same is done on the other side.
- Saw cut. We turn on the jigsaw and get started. Correct use of the device does not imply excessive pressing on it, which can provoke rapid heating of the product and breakdown. You should also not use the same file for a long time, since it becomes dull very quickly. If a very hard wood is selected as the starting material, then you can pre-lubricate the surface with machine oil. The saw will slide easier, the cut will be smoother, and the jigsaw will last longer.
Straight cut rules
Thus, in order to make the cut correctly and evenly, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Carefully select the file suitable for your starting material.
- Prepare all necessary auxiliary items.
- Secure the workpiece carefully.
- Take into account the correct location of the workpiece so that you do not have to correct flaws. In some cases, the canvas is located face down.
- Work out the technique of controlling the device with the help of professionals or through a training.
- Observe safety precautions carefully.
In fact, processing products with a jigsaw is not such a difficult task that any novice carpenter can do. Even if an even and accurate cut does not work out right away, do not despair: you need to soberly assess what nuances, perhaps, you did not pay attention to. And do not ignore the advice of professionals who can speed up the process of mastering the art, how to saw with a jigsaw, and reveal some secrets. Try and improve!
Why the jigsaw saws crooked
Initially, the jigsaw was intended for cutting patterns and circles. The straight saw function is not available on all models. The price of such a tool is several times higher.
You can achieve a straight cut with a conventional jigsaw. To do this, use the ruler that should come with the kit. To control the sawing process easier, you need to reduce the speed.
Novice craftsmen often face a problem: when cutting, the jigsaw leads to the side, and the cut is obtained at an angle. To cope with this, you need to study in detail the process of correct and even cutting.
There are several reasons for an uneven saw:
- The saw is blunt;
- Too much pressure is used;
- There is a slanting in the wood.
Material that is too thick may be one of the reasons for crooked cut. As a rule, thin wood is easier and easier to cut. The jigsaw may have poor mechanics. In which case it needs to be replaced. You can check the quality of the jigsaw by moving it from side to side. If it dangles, then it is a cheap tool for rough work. To get an acceptable result, cut with a margin, and trim the edges with a hand cutter.
Another effective way to learn how to cut straight with a jigsaw is to draw not one line on the workpiece, but two parallel ones. This will make the cut smoother.
Some people recommend using the pendulum function. You don’t need to press on the jigsaw. It must go by itself. You can try changing modes.
Straight cut technique: nuances you need to know
To achieve an even cut, use additional tools. Before starting the file, you need to fix the material well. The work surface must be stable. Experts do not recommend cutting wood along the grain. It will be difficult to achieve an even cut. Better to use a circular saw. If not, you can use a rip fence. One edge is fixed on the product, the other is leaning against the tool. This will align the cut.
If you need to make a circle, first drill a small hole in the middle. A jigsaw is attached to it, moving along the contours of the indicated lines. When a rectangle is required, the saw is guided forward, bending around the corners and then shaping them.
To make the move easier, use machine oil. They grease the file. Stop occasionally to avoid overheating. After the saw, you need to clean the jigsaw and moisten it with oil.
How to cut smoothly with a jigsaw
An electric jigsaw can cut any material. Stone, metal, wood. The electric saw makes straight, bevel and round cuts. How to learn to cut straight with a jigsaw?
Rules for a straight saw with a jigsaw
- For a perfectly straight saw, use a device with an increased blade speed. Better to choose a large file. A board is suitable as a guide. Pre-prepare 2 clamps with a workpiece and a guide. In order for the jigsaw to be freely positioned, it is placed on an elevation. Measure the width of the material with a tape measure, draw marks, make one line of them using a ruler.
- The guide is placed a few centimeters from the cut. It is attached with clamps. The jigsaw is attached with the cutting part to the mowing line of the cut. Connect it to the guide, attach it with a clamp. You need to make sure that she does not move.
- The same manipulations are done from the other side. So that there are no defects on the tree, you need to clamp it slightly.
- The next stage is the transition to the first clamp, checking its stability and clamping. After that, turn on the jigsaw, setting the highest speed. The number 2 is set on the pendulum. The saw is set along the cut line. The guide is pressed against the side of the platform and sawing begin.
- Controlling the position of the platform, the tool is moved forward. When just a little bit remains to the end, the sawn-off needs to be supported so that it does not break off. The cut pieces will be perfectly straight.
- To make the saw slide smoothly and easily, some people use an indexable insert. It comes from different materials. It is fixed on the support sole of the saw. The bar and adapter ensure an even cut.
- Some materials require additional cooling. When working with them, you need to keep a bowl of cool water near you. It can be installed on a support sole.
The jigsaw is a versatile tool that is irreplaceable in the household. Knowledgeable people say: skill in handling it comes with experience. The more you train, the better the result will be.
How to learn to cut straight with a jigsaw
To eliminate curvilinear sawing with a jigsaw, you need not only to remove various flaws, but also to learn how to hold the tool in your hands. A lot of experience is useful for this and, if there is no time for training (the pedagogical process, as a result of which students, under the guidance of a teacher, acquire knowledge, abilities and skills), the difficulty is then solved by using a jigsaw guide bar.
Immediately it should be noted that even when drawing a markup, it is not always possible to walk along it with a jigsaw as you wish. Indeed, when moving the tool, you need to supervise the movement of the blade, also push the device itself. When accuracy and evenness are fundamental, a guide comes to the rescue when working with a jigsaw. This is a special iron ruler in the form of a rule or aqua level, according to which перемещаетсяjigsaw. To use such an add-on, you can purchase it or create it yourself.
The jigsaw guide has a special recess along which the tool moves. The length of such equipment ranges from 1 to 3-4 meters. If necessary, the length of the guide can be extended by attaching similar equipment. The guide is attached to the workpiece being sawn literally along the cutting strip. For fastening, either the existing fastening mechanisms or a clamp are used. The approximate cost of such a guide is from 3000 rubles and more, which depends on their length and additional functions. Fastening and the presence of a rubberized base.
How to create a jigsaw guide to cut straight
The usual solution to the problem is if the jigsaw cuts crookedly. You need to use a guide rail. If the cost of the tooling does not suit you, then you can save on the purchase by the method of self-production of a jigsaw guide. There is nothing supernatural in its manufacture, and any amateur will cope with this task. The principle of production of a jigsaw guide is roughly the following:
- First you need to find a straight strip made of fiberboard or chipboard, the thickness of which must be at least 5 mm. Instead of the rail, you can use a level, a rule, or a metal profile
- To fix the rail, it is useful to use clamps in an amount of at least 2 pieces or screws
- On this, the do-it-yourself jigsaw guide is ready, and it remains to try it in action. Below is an example of a guide with a groove for the saw blade.
To use a homemade blank, you first need to draw the cutting line, and then draw parallel lines to it at a similar distance from the initial one. According to this marking, a guide is applied, which serves as a stop for the tool sole. Sawing is done in this form.
Prerequisites. Why the jigsaw cuts crooked
When operating the tool, you have to deal with the situation of curved sawing with a jigsaw. Such a disadvantage can be attributed to power tool malfunctions. But the reasons that the jigsaw cuts crooked are the following reasons:
- Lack of experience with a jigsaw
- The presence of a lack of canvas. Blades of different lengths can be fixed to the jigsaw, which is justified by the possibility of cutting sheet material of different thicknesses. If with short canvases, flaws in the form of curvature are very rare, then longish files with curvature are more common
- Free play of the guide roller. This element on the tool is adjustable (its position is adjusted). There are two types of breakage of rollers on jigsaws. Wear of the bore holes, due to which the roller is fixed. The 2nd malfunction is associated with abrasion of the inner part of the roller, by means of which the clamping property is reduced
- Rod malfunction. When worn, an extra free play occurs, which also has a bad effect on the straightness of cutting the material with a jigsaw
To identify why the jigsaw cuts crookedly, you need to start troubleshooting from the very beginning. To do this, check again that you are operating the power tool correctly:
- Pay attention to the speed at which the device is moving. If you press the jigsaw in an attempt to finish the work faster, then the blade will not have time to cut the material, and therefore the file will wiggle from side to side
- Curvilinear cutting with a jigsaw can be associated with processing thick material from 40 mm
In order to identify the cause of the cutting curve, which is associated with the speed and extra effort applied by the master, you should perform the following manipulations:
- Use less effort. You just need to drive the jigsaw without pressing it forward
- Set the appropriate speed of reciprocating movements by means of the regulator, which depends on the strength and thickness of the material being cut
- Press the jigsaw to the surface to be treated with the sole, and exclude its vibration relative to the surface being cut. The sole must fit snugly to the surface
- Secure the perfectly cut workpiece
If, after the performed manipulations, it is observed that the jigsaw continues to cut crookedly, then we proceed to the next method for identifying and eliminating the malfunction.
This is curious! The cutting blades must be correctly selected for the respective material types.
Assembly property and wear of jigsaw parts. Prerequisites for curved sawing
What to create in a situation when a jigsaw is crookedly sawing, the cost of which is not more than 2-3 thousand rubles? In this case, we need to thank the manufacturer for the build property. But even here there is an agreement, since the manufacturers of household jigsaws indicate advice that such a tool can be used for no more than 20-30 minutes. Opening hours must be replaced by long pauses. In addition, household tools are not provided for long and hard work, because if the device starts to malfunction, then this is the fault, above all, of the owner himself.
It’s another matter when a malfunction in the form of curvilinear sawing of material occurs on professional-type jigsaws, the cost of which is not less than 5 thousand rubles. To rush to take the instrument to the workshop is an extreme thing. To begin with, we proceed to their self-diagnosis and repair.
- Check for free movement of the rod on which the head or the file holder is attached. If the amount of free travel is more than 1 mm, it means you need to look for a breakdown specifically in the stem structure. The stem moves along the guides, which wear out over time. To reduce the free play and return the tool to normal operation, the guides or the entire mechanism should be changed
- Unreliable fixation of the saw blades in the saw holder. This type of malfunction is often associated with wear of the fastening mechanism. If, after installing and securing the blade in the tool holder, there is a free movement, it means that you need to check the head and change it as necessary. In the event of a malfunction of the saw holder, such a breakdown occurs as the falling of the blades from the tool, which is associated with wear of the mechanism parts
- Malfunction of the guide roller. If it dangles and vibrates, then naturally the jigsaw will not cut straight. Remove the breakage simply by replacing the video, but after making sure that the reason is specifically in it
- Lack of canvases. If the file has an insignificant twist, then it will not be able to cut exactly. The lack of canvases may not only be from the factory, but also appear during operation. For example, if, when working with a jigsaw, you press it very much against the workpiece, then the blade can jam and bend. The curvature of the canvases is sometimes difficult to find by eye, therefore a brand new file is installed, and the sawing property is checked. An appropriate approach will be useful to the choice of canvases, therefore it is strongly recommended not to take the cheapest files from unknown manufacturers. After all, this affects not only the property of the work performed, but also the safety of the master
This is curious! A prerequisite for a curved cut may also be the dullness of the blade’s cutting teeth. Make sure that the teeth of the blade are not worn out, otherwise it is unsafe to continue sawing this way.
The jigsaw cuts crookedly how to fix a breakdown and where to look for it
An electric jigsaw is a tool whose main purpose is to cut iron, wood, plastic and stone materials. This tool is designed for straight, bevel and round cuts. When working, a drawback may appear. It is an uneven cut with a jigsaw. Let’s find out why the jigsaw cuts crookedly, and what to create with this to eliminate the malfunction of the tool.
- Prerequisites. Why the jigsaw cuts crooked
- Assembly property and wear of jigsaw parts. Prerequisites for curved sawing
- How to learn to cut straight with a jigsaw
- How to create a jigsaw guide to cut straight
- Tips and rules on how to cut straight with a jigsaw
- Conclusions if the jigsaw cuts crooked what can be created
Tips and rules on how to cut straight with a jigsaw
- Choose the right canvases for the material, depending on its thickness
- Blades come in different thicknesses, and for very smooth and high-quality cuts, you need to choose thin files. With all this, keep in mind that the thickness of the file must correspond to the hardness and strength of the workpiece being cut.
- The workpiece to be sawn must be perfectly secured, eliminating the appearance of its vibrations during work
- Be sure to use pencils and markers when applying the markings. The more precisely the markings are applied, the higher the efficiency of performing a smooth cut with a jigsaw
- Check the tool before use. With the slightest suspicion of a malfunction, it is recommended to test it on unusable material
- Use guides that increase the efficiency of work on direct sawing of workpieces
- Use a vacuum cleaner that will not only remove sawdust from the cutting strip, but also increase the visibility of the marking strip
- On some jigsaw models, there are special laser beams in the form of a strip. In order not to supervise the movement of the blade, you should be guided by the laser line, which will allow you to get the most even cut even without the need to use guides
- Do not rush to move and push the tool. The speed must be good, as well as the set number of back and forth movements of the rod.
- Check the property of sharpening the teeth, and in an unpleasant case, use a new blade
An electric jigsaw is a versatile tool that has found its use not only in construction and repair, but also in households. This tool has analogues, like a grinder and a circular saw, but any power tool has its own purpose, for example, angle grinder is not allowed to make a straight cut with strict observance of the angle of inclination.
Why the jigsaw cuts crooked and how to fix it
In most cases, the process of straight and figured cutting of materials requires the utmost precision of the tool. This statement is most true for an electric jigsaw. The thin saw blades used in this device can easily change the cutting angle, which can negatively affect the accuracy of the line. The clarity of the edges of the product and the evenness of the mowing line of the cut depend on the skills of the operator, the serviceability of the device and the saw. Next, we will tell you how to get a planned contour with perfectly clear edges and what to do if the jigsaw goes to the side.
Jigsaw guide rail
The jigsaw guide is an elementary device at first glance, similar to a large metal ruler or rule. The main difference between the tire and the above devices is a special groove along which the sole with a jigsaw installed on it moves, like on rails. Most of the guides have rubberized strips that prevent sliding on the surface of the material, and as additional fixation, they are attached with small clamps. The average length of such devices is from 1.5 to 3 meters, and can be increased by another, similar ruler, using an adapter.
Why the jigsaw saws crooked
There can be several reasons for the saw blade to drift off of the pre-mapped mowing line. The operator may lack experience with the tool, the file may be defective, and the jigsaw stem and guide roller may seriously play. In order not to guess on the coffee grounds, it is worth starting to screen out the factors that determine the accuracy and evenness of the mowing line of the cut in your, individual case.
As usual, it’s best to start with yourself and your approach to sawing. Often, novice craftsmen rush things and, wanting to speed up the cut, put a lot of pressure on the jigsaw. The tool does not have time to evenly bite into the material and create a clear groove for the file, which begins to follow the path of least resistance and makes unpredictable movements. This problem is especially common when working with thick beams (from 40 mm) and varnished plywood of the Soviet era.
This is one of the reasons why the jigsaw pulls to the side. What to do with this? The answer is obvious. Apply the minimum pressure just enough to guide the tool along the line and set the maximum speed (when working with wood). The pendulum mode usually does not affect the evenness of the cut if its design is in good order.
The build quality and wear of the tool parts can be a good reason for the formation of beveled lines when cutting. There are basically no complaints about devices from the budget segment (up to 2500 rubles), as well as hopes for their conscientious assembly. It’s another matter when such Fortely begin to perform original, branded instruments. Often times, crooked cuts are caused by the idler roller, jigsaw stem or jigsaw sole.
You can check the reliability of the fixing of the element by simply jerking it with your hand. Looseness of the rod or roller by more than 1 mm determines that this device is not capable of producing a perfectly straight cut. The greater the backlash of the parts, the less accurate the cutting line they form. This problem should be corrected based on the circumstances. If the part itself is worn out, it can be replaced with a similar one. It is difficult to fix a breakdown if the attachment to the mechanism is worn out. Not every modern Kulibin undertakes such repairs, and usually this problem is solved by buying a new instrument.
The products of many proven brands, unfortunately, are often counterfeited, and jigsaw files are very popular in this regard. It so happened that low-quality and counterfeit products have a rather short service life, which brings many problems to the owner. One of these problems is the cutting curve. An initially flat blade can bend due to poor-quality metal, which can deform the tooth gap, if any. In this regard, if your jigsaw cuts crookedly, replacing the saw blade can correct the situation. The process of choosing a high-quality jigsaw file was detailed by us in a separate topic.
DIY jigsaw guide
If the jigsaw cuts crookedly, and buying an expensive guide is not advisable, you can completely do with improvised means. Any flat edge with a thickness of 5 mm or more can become an improvised emphasis: a straight rail, as a rule, a piece of plywood and other straight surfaces of suitable sizes. A pair of ordinary clamps can serve as the clips of the guide to the material. If the surface condition of the opposite part of the material to be cut is not very important, the guide can be screwed onto a pair of self-tapping screws.
To keep the line as neat and even as possible, use the optimal file for the material being cut. Visual processes for making and using a homemade guide are demonstrated in the following entries.