Make a miter saw from a hand circular
Required materials and tools
First you need to decide on the project. Above, attention was paid to what the miter saw can be constructed from:
- the most technologically advanced and affordable material is sheet wood-containing materials. They are easy to cut to the required dimensions using the same existing parquet flooring (part of the future machine);
- the frame structure of the bed with the elements of chipboard or plywood is more difficult and more expensive to implement, and therefore is not always justified;
- self-tapping screws will be required.
In addition to construction materials, the following elements will be needed to design the trimming device:
- clamps (2 pcs.);
- circular saw (“parquet”).
If a technology is chosen for the production of a bed that does not contain steel parts and elements, then in this case the tools will require:
- Screwdriver Set;
- hacksaw (for auxiliary purposes, when it will be inconvenient to use the existing “parquet”).
It’s amazing how little it takes to build a do-it-yourself miter saw.
The difference between a miter saw and a circular saw
The main difference between a homemade miter saw is its relative cheapness.
It can be built from existing scrap Chipboard or OSB.
In addition, thick plywood is also suitable, and in certain cases, textolite.
In addition, homemade trims have the following distinctive features:
- the machine is built, as a rule, for the existing specific need for cutting parts of a certain dimension. Sometimes it is these dimensions that cannot be processed on commercially available machines;
- the bed of a homemade machine is made of wooden plates or even from scraps of thick and wide boards. Of course, you can build a frame from steel plates and even from a composite, for example, a frame. from a steel profile, and the table itself. already from a chipboard. But in any case, this will be more expensive and more difficult, because you will have to deal with more expensive metal, and secondly, you need to work with metal welding, and then work with Chipboard.
A homemade miter saw, of course, will be less technologically advanced than a purchased factory-made one. But often no one wants the perfect result. And here the construction of a homemade trimming is just such an option.
For example, if you are going to sheathe the house with clapboard outside, then it would be quite reasonable to carry out trimming in conditions when both the material and the tool will be as free of backlash as possible. In this case, the result will be much more accurate.
A distinctive feature of a homemade miter tool is its relative simplicity, and therefore, it is possible to achieve an almost complete absence of third-party movements of the cutting tool. And all this at no extra cost.
Step by step guide
Let’s analyze the sequence of actions when converting a circular into a miter saw. The peculiarity of the “parquet” is its characteristic course. You need to move it along the surface of the material being cut, but not vertically. Therefore, the machine will represent their basis, which, firstly, will allow positioning and fixing the workpiece, and secondly, it has a base with stops along which the circular saw will move in the device (parquet flooring).
Homemade Miter Saw Build Part 1 // Gönye Testere Yapımı 1. Bölüm
Determining the height of the shelf for lateral movement
If the person working on the machine is right-handed, then the shelf for the circular saw should be located on the right edge of the table in order to be able to fix the workpiece on the table.
You should adjust the protrusion on the circular saw to the maximum and measure at what height above the table you need to position the shelf for the circular movement of the circular so that the teeth of its saw blade do not touch the table. This measurement will actually determine the maximum thickness of the workpieces.
When preparing blanks from a chipboard or thick plywood, it is inevitable to use the same circular saw, which will later become an integral part of the miter machine being formed. All the potential danger of doing work on the manufacture of the machine with your own hands is associated with this particular tool.
It is advisable to carry out work on a professional workbench, but if for some reason this is not possible, then you should carefully monitor that the teeth of the saw blade do not accidentally touch any surface, and of course, in no case touch any part your body. The cutting tool is a subject of increased danger to the user.
Aligning workpiece guides
It should be a strip of chipboard or thick plywood, only here it is no less than 10 cm wide, since it will have a much greater length. the guide should be 20% longer than the table so that it is always possible to fix it with a clamp in two places It is installed closer to the front edge of the table at the desired angle to the saw blade slot, and secured with clamps.
It is not necessary to fix the guide on self-tapping screws at all, since in this case it will be impossible to adjust the cutting angle if necessary. The guide for the blanks, of course, should be one, since the second simply cannot be fixed with a clamp in 2 places. When working on such a facing, the workpiece must be tightly pressed against the previously fixed guide with one hand, and with the other (right) cut the workpiece with a circular saw.
Setting the limiters
When the shelf for the circular saw is formed, then this very saw should be positioned on it and marked so that the teeth of the disk fall into the cutout under them, but also do not touch anything. It should be noted the dimensions of the case on the shelves. it is according to these marks that in the future it will be necessary to set limits for the movement of the circular saw.
These restraints should be made from scraps of chipboard or thick plywood. They should be at least 5 cm wide. Their main feature is the most even edge along which the circular saw will move. The stops should be set so that the circular saw runs along them tightly and evenly, without any backlash.
To do this, it is recommended to put them initially on the glue, and while it has not grabbed, test the walking of the facing device. If everything is set correctly, then the restraints (or guides) should be fixed with self-tapping screws, screwing them to the shelves. Since the rails are 5 cm wide, it is recommended to take the width of the shelves at least 10 cm.
It is possible to make a miter saw with your own hands, taking the available equipment as a basis.
Cross-sections are divided into the following types:
- with broach.
The base of the pendulum device is the frame. A table is also attached to it, which is based on a rotation mechanism with a ruler. This mechanism solves the problem of setting the cutting angle with its adjustment. The cutting angle can be adjusted by moving the work table in relation to the surface of the base. The saw component is held in place by a handle and is spring loaded with a hinge. The pendulum moves the saw vertically.
In the combined modification, it is possible to change the cutting angle in two directions. The structure is the same as that of the pendulum facing, only one more hinge is added. As for changing the angle of cut in a horizontal surface. it can be changed in the horizontal direction, which is also opposite to the installed drive.
Crosscut with a broach allows you to translate the cutting component both along the circumference of the hinge axis, and directly along the length of the cut. This is obtained due to the existing guides.
Manufacturing a complex unit
There is a variant with a more complex and heavier design. She will accurately cope with the facing of metal pipes. At the same time, a self-made device does not require the use of a circular as an element of the unit. But for specific moments of work, it is better to keep the circular at hand.
Based on the selected components, you have the opportunity to make a high-power unit. To create it you will need:
- an electric motor with a resource of about 900 W, and if you need constant cutting of pipes, you can take a more powerful electric motor;
- sheet iron;
- metal corners;
- hinge groups;
- angle grinder;
- welding machine;
- powerful spring.
When everything you need is ready, you can start assembling the end machine.
- The bed can be made using customizable supports, metal corners and bed racks.
- A sheet of strong iron is used as a working surface. It is necessary to make holes in it and file them with a file.
- For the manufacture of the pendulum rack, we use a channel and a welding machine. The structure is placed on an iron sheet. Approximate rack height 80 cm.
- The base for the electric motor is made of iron sheet in the role of a stationary plate. The bed is necessarily mounted on hinges.
- A powerful spring will serve as a stabilizer for the electric motor of the miter saw. If you find one, then you can refuse from the pendulum and belts.
- The lifting bolt can be used to tension and adjust the belts. The pendulum can be made of steel for a strong, reliable structure.
- The cutting tool will be a disc of the required diameter. For household tasks, as a rule, a saw blade with a diameter of 400-420 millimeters is enough.
How to make a miter saw with your own hands?
The miter saw is created by hand on the basis of the existing equipment. a hand-held circular saw, an angle grinder (angle grinder). And when mounting disks of a specific type, a home-made device can be used to cut a profile on a metal-plastic base, pipes, which will increase the area of its use.
From an angle grinder
Miter saws are capable of cutting wood, iron, plastic and other materials.
The most famous facing is based on the use of an angle grinder.
If you manage to do everything correctly, your device with a broach will have the following options:
- disk rotation speed. 4500 rpm;
- cutting distance. about 350 millimeters.
If necessary, trimming is dismantled from the unit and is practiced as an ordinary hand tool. A big plus is that the homemade device is versatile and can be easily disassembled.
Consider how the manufacturing procedure takes place.
- Place the swivel mechanism of the angle grinder on the pivot of the implement wheel. Its fastening is made by means of a ball bearing. The recommended size is 150 millimeters, but larger will also work.
- Ears are welded on the outer side of the bearing. They are designed to secure the base of the unit. Install with M6 bolts.
- The holder should be covered with a protective cover so that chips do not fly on you during operation.
- The broaching problem is easy to solve. To create it, take shock absorbers from a truck. Even if they are not in working order, this is not a problem. Remove any lubricant from the shock absorbers, drill holes for ventilation and cover with a mesh to prevent chips and dust from entering the cavity.
- Install the soft start module. Thanks to him, you will not experience sudden jerks during the start of the trimming.
- The final stage is the installation of the saw blade guard.
Depending on the supplied disc, the unit can be used for metal or wood, for trimming pipes. But be aware that the power of the unit may not be enough to cut the ends of the pipes. Decide on the technical parameters of your angle grinder to find out if the machine is capable of cutting pipes, or is it only suitable for working with wood.
This design has two important drawbacks.
- To adjust the precision of the cut, wood residues are used first. Then the traction is fixed, and you can get to work.
- The unit makes a lot of noise when cutting pipes and working on iron.
From a hand-held circular saw
The structure is common and acceptable for home construction. The body of the trimming unit is made of wood or iron. A base is built from plywood sheets (chipboard), on which a vertical rack is mounted, having previously cut holes in it to fix the facing. A pendulum-type device is made from a board and is attached to the base by means of a long bolt.
Having prepared a steel rod or corner, it is attached on top of the pendulum so that the end sticks out. Then the spring is taken, one end of it is fixed to the rear shelf of the corner, and the other. to the vertical rack. The tension is selected empirically, but it should be enough to easily hold the circular saw in the hanging position.
Having removed the handle from the equipment, it is fixed on the pendulum in a previously prepared hole. The wires are placed in the slots prepared for this, and the power supply is connected. A small slot is made in the table top, and side stops are fixed to it at an angle of 90 °. If they are made to rotate, then it will be possible to cut the blanks at a specific degree. The unit is assembled, it remains to test it in operation. Using drawings, you can make anything, even a very complicated apparatus.
Pros and cons
Homemade miter saws have both positive and negative properties.
The advantages of homemade units include a number of characteristics.
- The creation of a trimming machine will require an order of magnitude less money to be invested than in the purchase of industrial equipment for trimming wood, pipes, plastic and other things. Tentatively, specialists for the re-equipment of an angle grinder invest in trimming from 500 to 1000 rubles.
- You have the opportunity to independently select the performance characteristics for the future end machine. Such parameters include the dimensions of the working surface, the power of the electric motor, the diameter of the discs, the depth of cut, and more.
- The manufactured devices have a simple design. Due to the fact that you yourself assembled and disassembled the device, there will be no difficulties with finding breakdowns.
There are also disadvantages, among which several factors are particularly different.
- For homemade units, as a rule, old, useless materials, tools and devices are used. This negatively affects the quality, service life.
- They are not very powerful very often.
- In some situations, saving on the purchase of an industrial design becomes far-fetched, because a lot of money is spent on repair work, refurbishment, preventive measures of a self-made unit.
- You are putting yourself at risk, in terms of your own safety, using a homemade trimmer.
Having an angle grinder, hand-held circular saw for wood and metal, you can freely make a home machine. Follow the instructions, follow the safety instructions.
Be sure to take into account the presence of protective fences, since working on such machines is not entirely safe.
How to make a miter saw with your own hands, see the video below.
Miter saw from circular saw
Miter saw. the same circular saw based on a conventional circular saw. It allows you to cut with great accuracy at the required angle almost all materials. from plastic to metal. There is such a tool from the manufacturer, that is, ready-made, not cheap, and assembling it yourself is not so difficult. Therefore, if you have an urgent need for a miter saw, and your hands are growing from the right place, further information will be very useful.
A miter saw consists of several essential elements
Let’s get to the heart of the matter: you have a circular in stock, and you are assembling a homemade miter saw. The first three points are already present in the circular itself, and the fourth may not be needed if you skillfully assemble a guide rail for the saw.
Let’s start assembling
- We cut out a rectangular sheet of plywood and make a long cut on it, along which your trimming will ride;
- From above we fasten two guides, for example, from an aluminum corner, to the width of the working plane of the circular itself;
- From the bottom to the plywood sheet you need to screw two supports with a height equal to the cutting depth of your saw (5.3 cm).
Circular Saw Miter Cutting Station. Daire Testere Kesim İstasyonu
As a result, we get a guide along which the circular will walk. Depending on how we fix it on the table with such a simple mechanism, we can make an accurate cut at any angle. The simplest design option is ready.
What if we want our miter saw to be more functional at work and look like a factory miter saw? In this case, you will have to show more ingenuity.
- First, you need to make a bracket and a stand on which the circular will be fixed. Chipboard (27 mm) is an excellent raw material for such a mechanism. With the help of self-tapping screws and aluminum corners, you will get a very decent top end. And the springs fixed on top can make the work on such a saw more convenient;
- Secondly, you need to fix the tripod itself on a movable pivoting footboard, make a pendulum saw, thanks to which we will eventually be able to change the facing angle.
As for the trimming itself, everything is said about the assembly. However, if we decided to make a saw that looks like a factory saw, then it will be difficult to do without a table.
How to make a do-it-yourself miter saw table
A good material for a table is a 19mm Fibreboard.
- Measure the depth and width of the entire structure (miter saw);
- Now measure the width and depth of the workbench, on which the table and the trimming itself will stand;
- As a result, the lower part of the table made of Fiberboard-slab should be equal to the width and depth of the workbench, and the upper part should consist of two parts and in total be less in length by the width of the miter saw;
- The height of the table should be equal to the depth of cut;
- Inside the table (between the upper and lower slabs), at a distance of 50 cm, it is important to make rigid partitions from the same Fiberboard-slab. This is necessary so that when pressed, the table does not bend.
Now everything is for sure. The miter saw from a regular circular saw is ready.