Make a miter saw with a broach
Preparation of the base
The base of the circular facing is a rectangular sheet of thick plywood or chipboard, not deformed. In the future, a shelf for the movement of the circular saw will be rigidly attached to the base.
In the base sheet (in the table), you need to make a slot for free passage of the saw blade. The blade must completely cut the workpiece positioned on the table surface, so the saw teeth must go deeper than the table surface, but the blade must rotate freely. It is even recommended to form a table from two sheets of chipboard or plywood, attached to each other flat: then in the top sheet you will need to make a through transverse slot for free movement of the saw blade.
To block the mechanism for replacing the disc and, accordingly, to stop the engine, the device is equipped with a soft start. For safety reasons against electric breakdown through the case, the models are equipped with protection.
To adjust the cutting of metal products, electronic units are built in, which allow you to adjust the process depending on the properties of the material. Electronic components are also installed as a precautionary measure to ensure safety and prevent breakage from overheating, jamming, braking when the tangential load is exceeded. And it also allows you to more accurately cut the workpiece. Although usually saw models come without the listed units.
In order to be able to calculate the number of parts produced for a certain period in an exact quantity, newer models are released that have the option of setting the exact number of revolutions. Another useful but expensive feature in the machine is the laser guidance system for precision cutting. This system can operate both from the mains and from batteries. Its essence is simple and very suitable for beginners, as they see the line of the future cut, indicated by the laser beam. And beginners, if they have drawings, will be able to make a miter saw with a broach with their own hands.
In the process of this production, a large mass of sawdust and small parts from the workpieces remains. Some models have a built-in vacuum cleaner, which later saves time on cleaning and keeps the workplace always relatively clean.
We make the handle
According to the template prepared in advance, we mark the handle of our trimming. We use a piece of plywood 30x15cm.
Curves of the mowing line can be easily cut with a jigsaw. A closed loop must first be drilled with a 8-9mm drill to fit the width of the jigsaw.
After cutting, we process the edge of the plywood with a rasp or emery paper, and make the handle streamlined and without burrs.
The difference between a miter saw and a circular
The main difference between a homemade miter saw is its relative cheapness.
It can be built from existing chipboard or OSB scraps.
In addition, thick plywood is also suitable, and in certain cases, textolite.
In addition, homemade trims have the following distinctive features:
- the machine is built, as a rule, for the existing specific need for cutting parts of a certain dimension. Sometimes it is these dimensions that cannot be processed on commercially available machines;
- the bed of a homemade machine is made of wooden plates or even from scraps of thick and wide boards. Of course, you can build a frame from steel plates and even from a composite, for example, the frame is made of a steel profile, and the table itself is already made of chipboard. But in any case, this will be more expensive and more difficult, because you will have to deal with more expensive metal, and secondly, you need to work with metal welding, and then work with chipboard.
A homemade miter saw, of course, will be less technologically advanced than a purchased factory-made one. But often no one wants a perfect result. And here the construction of a homemade trimming is just such an option.
For example, if you are going to sheathe a house with clapboard outside, then it would be quite reasonable to carry out trimming in conditions when both the material and the tool will be as free of play as possible. In this case, the result will be much more accurate.
A distinctive feature of a homemade miter tool is its relative simplicity, and therefore, it is possible to achieve an almost complete absence of third-party movements of the cutting tool. And all this at no extra cost.
Step by step guide
Let’s analyze the sequence of actions when converting a circular into a miter saw. The peculiarity of the “parquet” is its characteristic course. You need to move it along the surface of the material being cut, but not vertically. Therefore, the machine will represent their basis, which, firstly, will allow positioning and fixing the workpiece, and secondly, it has a base with stops along which the circular saw will move in the device (parquet flooring).
Miter cut from angle grinder
Technical characteristics of cross-cut with a broach, assembled by hand:
- disk revolutions. 4500;
- cutting length. 350 mm (much higher than that of a middle-class factory tool).
The tool can be removed from the table and the angle grinder can be used as usual.
The rotary device of the tool is installed on the pivot axis of the car wheel (kingpin), it is held by a ball bearing for 150 mm (if you can find more, it will do).
It is possible to use an angle grinder as a working mechanism in stationary conditions. The bed in this case will have a slightly different design. The stationary option implies the availability of free space and a large amount of work. Therefore, the entire structure can be made more solid, more massive, and, therefore, more reliable.
Bed frame can be made from a corner with a welded joint. Bolted and other types of detachable fasteners lose grip from constant vibration, the structure begins to stagger.
A working table made of a wide board or thick plywood is mounted on top of the metal frame. The workpiece will move along it. Stop angle equipped with a movable mount for adjusting the cutting width.
It would be nice to provide for the adjustment of the table height or the removal of the disc above its surface. then it will be possible to cut longitudinal grooves in the board.
On the side of the machine there are governing bodies : socket and on / off buttons. In the stationary version, it makes sense to exclude the key on the body of the angle grinder from the diagram. If there is enough space, a high power sander can be used as a drive.
How to make a sawmill from an angle grinder is shown in this
Manufacturing a complex unit
There is a variant with a more complex and heavier design. She will accurately cope with the facing of metal pipes. At the same time, a self-made device does not require the use of a circular as an element of the unit. But for specific moments of work, it is better to keep the circular at hand.
Based on the selected components, you have the opportunity to make a high-power unit. To create it you will need:
- an electric motor with a resource of about 900 W, and if you need constant cutting of pipes, you can take a more powerful electric motor;
- sheet iron;
- metal corners;
- hinge groups;
- angle grinder;
- welding machine;
- powerful spring.
When everything you need is ready, you can start assembling the end machine.
- The bed can be made using customizable supports, metal corners and bed racks.
- A sheet of strong iron is used as a working surface. It is necessary to make holes in it and file them with a file.
- For the manufacture of the pendulum rack, we use a channel and a welding machine. The structure is placed on an iron sheet. Approximate rack height 80 cm.
- The base for the electric motor is made of iron sheet in the role of a stationary plate. The bed is necessarily mounted on hinges.
- A powerful spring will serve as a stabilizer for the electric motor of the miter saw. If you find one, then you can refuse from the pendulum and belts.
- The lifting bolt can be used to tension and adjust the belts. The pendulum can be made of steel for a strong, reliable structure.
- The cutting tool will be a disc of the required diameter. For household tasks, as a rule, a saw blade with a diameter of 400-420 millimeters is enough.
Of angle grinder
Miter saws are capable of cutting wood, iron, plastic and other materials.
The most famous facing is based on the use of an angle grinder.
If you manage to do everything correctly, your device with a broach will have the following options:
- disk rotation speed. 4500 rpm;
- cutting distance. about 350 millimeters.
If necessary, trimming is dismantled from the unit and is practiced as an ordinary hand tool. A big plus is that the homemade device is versatile and freely disassembled.
Consider how the manufacturing procedure takes place.
- Place the swivel mechanism of the angle grinder on the pivot of the implement wheel. Its fastening is made by means of a ball bearing. The recommended size is 150 millimeters, but larger will also work.
- Ears are welded on the outer side of the bearing. They are designed to secure the base of the unit. Install with M6 bolts.
- The holder should be covered with a protective cover so that chips do not fly on you during operation.
- The broaching problem is easy to solve. To create it, take shock absorbers from a truck. Even if they are not in working order, this is not a problem. Remove any lubricant from the shock absorbers, drill holes for ventilation and cover with a mesh to prevent chips and dust from entering the cavity.
- Install the soft start module. Thanks to him, you will not experience sudden jerks during the start of the trimming.
- The final stage is the installation of the saw blade guard.
Depending on the supplied disc, the unit can be used for metal or wood, for trimming pipes. But be aware that the power of the unit may not be enough to cut the ends of the pipes. Decide on the technical parameters of your angle grinder to find out if the machine is capable of cutting pipes, or is it only suitable for working with wood.
This design has two important drawbacks.
- To adjust the precision of the cut, wood residues are used first. Then the traction is fixed, and you can get to work.
- The unit makes a lot of noise when cutting pipes and working on iron.
From a hand-held circular saw
The structure is common and acceptable for home construction. The body of the trimming unit is made of wood or iron. A base is built from plywood sheets (chipboard), on which a vertical rack is mounted, having previously cut holes in it to fix the facing. A pendulum-type device is made from a board and is attached to the base by means of a long bolt.
Having prepared a steel rod or corner, it is attached on top of the pendulum so that the end sticks out. Then the spring is taken, with one end it is fixed to the rear shelf of the corner, and the other. to the vertical rack. The tension is selected empirically, but it should be enough to easily hold the circular saw in the hanging position.
Having removed the handle from the equipment, it is fixed on the pendulum in a previously prepared hole. The wires are placed in the slots prepared for this, and the power supply is connected. A small slot is made in the table top, and side stops are fixed to it at an angle of 90 °. If they are made rotatable, then it will be possible to cut the blanks at a specific degree. The unit is assembled, it remains to test it in operation. Using drawings, you can make anything, even a very complicated apparatus.
Cross-sections are divided into the following types:
- with broach.
The base of the pendulum device is the bed. A table is also attached to it, which is based on a rotation mechanism with a ruler. This mechanism solves the problem of setting the cutting angle with its adjustment. The cutting angle can be adjusted by moving the table in relation to the base surface. The saw component is held in place by a handle and is spring loaded with a hinge. The pendulum moves the saw vertically.
In the combined modification, it is possible to change the cutting angle in two directions. The structure is the same as that of the pendulum trimming, only one more hinge is added. As for changing the angle of cut in a horizontal surface. it can be changed in the horizontal direction, which is also opposite to the installed drive.
Crosscut with a broach allows you to translate the cutting component both along the circumference of the pivot axis and straight along the length of the cut. This is obtained due to the existing guides.
It is possible to make a miter saw with your own hands, taking the available equipment as a basis.
How to make a miter saw with your own hands?
- Tool creation
- From a hand-held circular saw
- Of angle grinder
- Manufacturing a complex unit
- Advantages and disadvantages
The miter saw is created by hand on the basis of the existing equipment. a hand-held circular saw, an angle grinder (angle grinder). And when mounting disks of a specific type, a home-made device can be used to cut a profile on a metal-plastic base, pipes, which will increase the area of its use.
Advantages and disadvantages
Homemade miter saws have both positive and negative properties.
Homemade Miter Saw Build Part 1 // Gönye Testere Yapımı 1. Bölüm
The advantages of homemade units include a number of characteristics.
- You will need to invest an order of magnitude less money to create a trimming machine than to purchase industrial equipment for trimming wood, pipes, plastic and other things. Tentatively, specialists for the re-equipment of an angle grinder invest in trimming from 500 to 1000 rubles.
- You have the opportunity to independently select the performance characteristics for the future end machine. Such parameters include the dimensions of the working surface, the power of the electric motor, the diameter of the discs, the depth of cut, and more.
- The manufactured devices have a simple design. Due to the fact that you yourself assembled and disassembled the device, there will be no difficulties with finding breakdowns.
There are also disadvantages, among which several factors are particularly different.
- For homemade units, as a rule, they use old, useless materials, tools and devices. This negatively affects the quality, service life.
- They are not very powerful very often.
- In some situations, saving on the purchase of an industrial design becomes far-fetched, because a lot of money is spent on repair work, refurbishment, preventive measures of a self-made unit.
- You are putting yourself at risk, in terms of your own safety, using a homemade trimmer.
Having an angle grinder, hand-held circular saw for wood and metal, you can freely make a home machine. Follow the instructions, follow the safety instructions.
Be sure to take into account the presence of protective fences, since working on such machines is not entirely safe.
How to make a miter saw with your own hands, see the video below.
Do-it-yourself miter saw with broach
A short story about how a do-it-yourself miter saw with a broach is assembled from an angle grinder using used materials and ordinary tools.
I think it will be relevant, because the branded end-facing tool with a broach is not cheap, but now generally bite.
There are other benefits as well:
– the angle grinder can be easily removed and used separately from the bed as usual for working on other materials.
– the machine turned out to be completely collapsible and mobile, one might say it claims to be a universal.
At cost, the rework of the Bosch was not expensive. it took 500 rubles for the entire homemade saw (not counting the old angle grinder).
The virtues listed now need a little criticism:
– the accuracy of the cuts has to be selected during test passes on waste blocks, then the thrust is rigidly fixed and a fine saw is made.
– the unit from the angle grinder turned out to be quite noisy.
About the design and manufacture. everything is clear from the photo, but still there are few details:
The entire upper swivel part of the miter saw is attached to a king pin that is inserted 150mm. bearing (the largest one we could get hold of)
Lugs are welded to the outer side of the bearing through them and is attached to the frame with M6 screws. The debris clip itself is closed with a special lid.
The saw feed is made of “cargo” shock absorbers taken from scrap metal. They had to be gutted. to drain the oil, cut out holes for air that were “taken” from the debris with a cloth.
To work on the saw was more comfortable, I had to add a soft start block to the angle grinder, since the disc jerked too much. But thanks to this, it was possible to reduce the speed.
Naturally, in order to work safely on the disk, protection was made.
Торцовочная пила с протяжкой, miter saw with a broach
Here’s a homemade miter saw with a broach from a simple angle grinder. I think that this is not the last option for the author. shortcomings are identified, experience has come and new ideas are already swarming
When it is necessary to cut materials such as wood, metal, plastic or even laminate, a miter saw will come to the rescue, a tool that is absolutely indispensable during construction, installation, carpentry or finishing work. The miter cut is truly versatile. it can handle a wide variety of materials, you just need to choose the right saw blade.
Today, there are several types of miter saws on the power tool market. All saws are very similar in structure: saw blade, handle, control button and, of course, the engine. This is where the fundamental differences begin. after all, there are two types of motors in miter saws. Asynchronous motors have more advantages. they are easier to care for and less noise. Collector motors are very noisy during operation and need a constant change of collector brushes, but they also have higher torque.
End plates also differ functionally: some can only cut straight or at an angle, and some can easily cope with both tasks at the same time.