Metal cutting stand angle grinder
- Support or bed. the part from which the vertical stand departs and where the workpiece is laid for cutting. The supporting part also performs the main function of keeping the entire machine in a stable position.
- A vertical fixed stand, or a tripod for an angle grinder. this structural element is part of the pendulum mechanism and a support for a movable arm.
- Sliding bar or console. a part to which the angle grinder is directly attached.
The support is mainly made of sheet metal. It can be a factory bed, for example, from a drilling machine or any other where there is a flat platform. On the bed for an angle grinder, there must be a guide, where the pipe is abutted during cutting. The guide does not allow the workpiece to move during the operation. In addition, for greater convenience, you can equip the support with a clamping mechanism that will motionlessly fix the pipe to the guide during operation.
A stand, or tripod, is a vertically going up element. It can be made from a shaped or round pipe. In the upper part, a bearing unit is attached for the movable connection of the rack to the pendulum arm of the angle grinder. The height of the tripod depends on the dimensions of the angle grinder and the swingarm device. The type of pipe (its geometric parameters and wall thickness) is selected depending on the power and weight of the power tool.
The pendulum bar of the angle grinder has two functions. First, it rigidly holds the angle grinder, thereby preventing the disc from moving in the axial direction. Secondly, with the help of it, the tool is fed into the processing area, that is, the angle grinder can be lowered into the working position, cut and again return to the starting position. It also has a special handle to control the console.
Counterweight design with shock absorber
- Traditional type. It is done by installing a weight on the tail of the cantilever bar. The weight of the load is selected in such a way that in the initial position the angle grinder is at the top, but when it is lowered onto the workpiece, no great efforts have to be applied.
- Spring mechanism as counterweight. In this case, the angle grinder is held in the upper position by the spring force. The most suitable for these purposes is a spring for closing the door leaf.
A shock absorber or stop is also necessary in the design of the angle grinder rack. The main task of such an element is to prevent the tool from moving downward below a certain level. The moment the pipe is completely cut, the lowering of the angle grinder should stop.
The stop can be made rigid, for example, in the form of a metal stand with a rubber gasket at the point of contact with an angle grinder, or soft. it can be realized due to a small spring at the end.
Overview of possible options for the manufacture of tines for an angle grinder
The angle grinder stand, as mentioned above, is a simple mechanism, but this statement applies only to the simplest designs. Having considered all the variety of factory-made devices and homemade products, there are three main types of devices:
- the simplest pendulum bed;
- pendulum mechanism with a rotary unit for cutting an angle grinder at different angles;
- bed for an angle grinder with a so-called broach.
The most common and easy-to-make homemade angle grinder is based on a pendulum console. With the help of such equipment, you can easily saw various pipes of both round and profile sections, as well as rods, fittings and metal parts, the thickness of which does not exceed the thickness of the working part of the disk, and the length of the cut can be adjusted by moving the workpiece along the bed. Features of Attachment for Angle Grinder:
- ease of manufacture and operation;
- high reliability, since only one moving unit is used here;
- such equipment will not be able to cut at an angle;
- difficult to cut sheet material: low accuracy and injury risk.
The device of the bed with a swivel mechanism for the angle grinder allows you to carry out all the above-described metal cutting operations, but at the same time the function of sawing the angle grinder at different angles is added. There is also a pendulum unit here, and, besides it, the pendulum support itself can rotate, or the stop-clamp, which holds the workpiece, rotates. Features of the device:
- expanded possibilities of metal processing angle grinder;
- relative simplicity of design;
- here it is more difficult to obtain an accurate perpendicular and corner cuts due to the rotary mechanism and the need to calibrate the angle.
The broaching mechanism is the most difficult to execute. In addition to the pendulum unit, it uses a pulling unit for an angle grinder in the horizontal direction.
Manufacturing instruction for angle grinder stand
We will clearly tell you how to make a stand for an angle grinder with your own hands. In the article you will find drawings, video reports on homemade machines for an angle grinder. Holder options with sheet steel rails, pendulum tripod device.
The angle grinder belongs to the category of tools that have a high degree of risk of injury. This is due to the fact that the saw blade of the angle grinder rotates at high speeds, and the probability of it jamming in the workpiece is very high. This is especially true for long longitudinal cuts, when the abrasive tool is clamped when the metal is heated. When cutting pipes, the section to be removed can compress the cutting disc. this leads to a rupture of the body of the blade. To avoid the negative consequences of working with an angle grinder, an angle grinder stand is used.
When the angle grinder is rigidly fixed and moves only along a predetermined path, observing a certain cutting angle, the likelihood of danger decreases significantly. Angle grinder stands are commercially available, but this is not such a complex mechanism that you must definitely buy.
For your tool, you can make a simple device with your own hands. it will come out cheaper, and a self-developed design for a specific model will always be more accurately adjusted.
Bed drawings for angle grinder
- With upright column when the angle grinder is lifted off the base. This design has more convenient control and a larger length of the longitudinal cut.
- No upright. here the hinge is formed straight from the base. This type of design is the simplest and allows the angle grinder to saw pipes of small diameter and cross-section.
Stand for cutting sheet steel
The main parts of such a machine:
- Base. Ideally, it should be no less than the sheet that the angle grinder is supposed to cut, or allow the entire cutting area to be laid on it. It is necessary to use steel as a material for manufacturing, so that it absorbs heat, preventing overheating of the mowing line for cutting steel.
- U-shaped rack. This structural element serves as a guide for extending the angle grinder. The length of the segment between the legs of the rack should be sufficient to put a sheet between them, plus allow the body to freely fit the angle grinder.
- The carriage is a movable element that moves along the U-shaped rack on bearings. A pendulum arm and a depth limiter for lowering the cutting disc are attached to it.
- The pendulum arm serves as a mechanism for lowering the angle grinder to the level of the working position. Also attached to it is the tool control handle.
You need to pull the angle grinder in the opposite direction to the direction of the sparks, otherwise the tool will undermine with a high probability of jamming.
The simplest DIY solution
- A 20 mm thick chipboard sheet is taken as a base and two pieces of 500×400 mm are cut out.
- The workpieces are combined and twisted together with self-tapping screws to make a plate 40 mm thick.
- Take the narrow side and, stepping back from the edge in the middle at a distance of 100 mm, cut a 40×40 mm square with a jigsaw.
- Take a steel profile pipe with a section of 40×40 mm and a length of 500 mm. One end of the pipe is smeared with epoxy glue and inserted into the square cut at the base.
- When the stand adheres well to the base, stepping back from the top of the pipe 100 mm, drill a through hole with a diameter of 8 mm parallel to the short side.
- They take a section of a profile pipe 400 mm long and a section of 30×30 mm and, stepping back from the edge of 50 mm, drill a through hole with a diameter of 8 mm. this is a pendulum console.
- The movable part is twisted with the stand so that it moves freely, but without backlash in the horizontal direction.
- The angle grinder is fixed to the console with steel clamps. The handle of the angle grinder will serve as a control.
Dear visitors of the site, designers, share in the comments which, in your opinion, attachments for an angle grinder are the most successful?
Features of using an angle grinder as a saw
It will not be superfluous for your safety to remind that not all types of discs can be used directly for an angle grinder. First of all, this concerns discs for sawing wood, which have significantly lower speed rates than are used in almost all angle grinders.
The exception is special discs for wood, designed for standard rotational speed of angle grinders.
It’s good if your tool has speed control. And if not, then, before using your angle grinder as a miter saw for wood, make a simple regulator of its speed based on the KR1182PM1 microcircuit, or close to it in terms of indicators, according to this scheme.
It is not worth using a simple rheostat for this. Along with decreasing the RPM, it will also proportionally reduce the power and torque of the tool. And for the angle grinder itself, use in such operating modes is harmful.
We strongly recommend that you provide your stand with an emergency shutdown button as the shutdown button can be difficult to access once the angle grinder is installed in the rack. And even an angle grinder securely fixed in the device. the tool is quite traumatic.
You can put such a button in the cut of its power wire, but it is better to break the supply electric line with it, because the angle grinder removed from the rack becomes an ordinary mobile tool with all its advantages.
Do-it-yourself angle grinder stand. an overview of options
The main tasks of this rack:
- securely attach the tool to the console;
- ensure minimal deviations from the cutting plane during operation;
- hold the tool securely in the upper position.
For attaching the angle grinder to the console, the threaded attachments of the handle on its head are suitable. There are 3 of them, and this is more than enough for reliable fixation.
Sometimes not everyone uses them.
And sometimes for attaching an angle grinder, a sufficiently rigid and securely fixed protective cover on its head is used.
For small angle grinders working with discs up to 125. 150 mm, sometimes it will be sufficient to attach the body to the console using powerful clamps, but to prevent axial rotation of the tool, the stop of the grinder head must be used.
angle grinder, working with cutting discs of large diameter (200. 230 mm), in addition to securely attaching them to the console, must have a good support base for attaching the console itself to the work table.
This ensures the minimum deviation from the cutting plane.
Many DIYers provide the oscillating motion of the console by installing one or two bearings to attach it to the work table. For this, ready-made bearing assemblies for cars or bicycles are often used. However, a simple bolted connection will provide sufficient mobility, the parts of which, with good lubrication, will work as conventional plain bearings.
So, as shown in the video describing the simple design of the rack for an angle grinder made of metal:
True, we would not rely on such reliability of fixing the tool in the upper position, as the author of the video recommends, but would install the tension spring in a convenient place.
It is clear that the repair of such a console mount is reduced to replacing the bolt, or, in extreme cases, to simply increasing its diameter or installing a sleeve with a lot of wear of the mating parts.
A similar principle of ensuring compliance with the flatness of the cut is also ensured when the rack is made not from corners, but from shaped pipes. Watch a short video about a simple homemade metal drain for an angle grinder:
Few people decide to make a wooden stand for an angle grinder, but this does not mean at all that it cannot be done. But some of the design solutions that we want to show you may well serve as source of ideas for creating a rack of your own design, incl. and from this material.
To enlarge the picture. click on it:
Sometimes, to ensure that the tool returns to the upper position after the cut, instead of a tension spring, a conventional counterweight is used to compensate for the weight of the tool itself.
Stand drawings for angle grinder
There are not so many drawings of such racks on the Internet. Basically, these are primitive sketches illustrating the principle of operation of the device rather than the exact dimensions and order of its assembly. And even those that exist do not have all the necessary information.
And the very design of such devices quite often raises doubts about the use of such a drawing without a certain correction.
Therefore, we advise you not to waste time looking for them, but after carefully considering the options for implemented projects to create homemade racks for an angle grinder, choose the one that suits you. Or, taking into account their shortcomings, implement your own.
How to make a stand for an angle grinder (angle grinder) with your own hands: drawings, constructive
One of the most popular power tools in the household is an angle grinder (angle grinder), commonly referred to as an angle grinder. Despite the fact that its main purpose is grinding, it is more often used as a tool for cutting various materials. This is primarily facilitated by the abundance of types of disks that can be installed on it.
The main disadvantage of the angle grinder when performing such work is the low accuracy of the cut, because holding the angle grinder in your hands, it is extremely difficult to maintain the exact angle and direction of the cut. Rarely is it possible to cut off any material strictly at a given angle. Especially if you have to perform the workpiece of the same type of parts of any design, and even with the specified cutting angles. This disadvantage can be minimized by applying a special stand to the angle grinder.
There are such factory-made attachments for various models of angle grinder, some of them are quite versatile. But the relatively high cost makes them unaffordable for most DIYers. Meanwhile, most of these craftsmen are able to make a stand for their angle grinder with their own hands, without spending a lot of money, and time.
The simplest attachment for a rack angle grinder
Actually, this device cannot be called a stand, and you can do almost the same work with it, which is provided by the most technologically advanced stand. Its principle of operation is clear from a short video:
But if, instead of a strip, you use a corresponding corner with a sawn-off part of one of the shelves, as one of the authors of a similar design did, then there will be no need to drill a blind hole in the head of an angle grinder.
In this case, the tool will be fastened with two screws into the threaded holes for the handle existing on the head of the angle grinder. And the principle of the sole will not change. only its rigidity will increase.
The method of using an angle grinder as a kind of circular saw using the same sole, shown in another video by the same author, will not change either:
Dear readers, if you have any questions, ask them using the form below. We will be glad to communicate with you;)
Homemade attachments for angle grinder
The capabilities of the angle grinder can be expanded not only by using various attachments, but also by installing it on special home-made devices. As a result, you can get a cutting machine, with which it becomes possible to accurately cut metal blanks at any angle. In addition, the angle grinder can be mounted on a carriage and the resulting machine can be used to cut sheet steel.
Cutting sheet hoists with an angle grinder
To cut sheet metal, you will need to purchase a special carriage that moves along a guide (shaped square tube).
But as practice shows, the cost of a good carriage is high (more than 100), so you can make it yourself. Since this process is rather complicated to describe, you can understand the manufacturing technology of this slider from this video. With the help of the device, you can cut not only steel, but also ceramic tiles and porcelain stoneware.
Please note that a lot of dust is generated when cutting ceramics. Therefore, it is recommended to adapt a dust collector with a nozzle for a vacuum cleaner to the casing of an angle grinder.
Another version of the device for an angle grinder, with which it will be possible to cut metal workpieces, is done as follows.
- Take 2 sections of profile pipe of the same height and weld them to a rectangle pre-cut from sheet metal.
- Drill holes in 2 racks and in the lever (the length is selected experimentally), then fix the latter with a bolt, as shown in the photo below.
- Attach a spring to the back of the lever.
- At the intended attachment point of the angle grinder on the rod, drill a through hole.
- You can now attach the angle grinder to the table.
Thus, we have a simple cut-off machine. To give additional rigidity to the attachment of the device to the lever, you can use clamps, having previously laid between the body of the angle grinder and the pipe, for example, a wooden block.
For accurate cutting, so that the workpiece does not move, you will need to screw the corner to the table.
For a small angle grinder, a similar version of the device is also suitable, only the angle grinder will be attached to a metal strip: on the one hand, with a bolt to the angle grinder itself, and on the other, with a clamp.
For a powerful angle grinder, the adaptation is made according to the same principle, but from larger profiles than in the figures above.
It is not necessary to use dumbbells as a counterweight. It is enough to find a suitable spring.
Angle Grinder Cutting Machine
In order to understand how to make a cutting machine from an angle grinder (angle grinder), you can look at various drawings on the Internet. But they will not help much, since all the sizes of the parts will still have to be selected based on the size of the angle grinder you have. The options for the execution of devices can be both simple and more complex, requiring the ability to handle the welding machine.
To make this device for an angle grinder, you will need the skills of a welder. So, you need to do the following.
First, cut 2 small pieces from the corner (50×50 mm). Their size is selected based on the dimensions of the gear unit of your angle grinder.
Next, drill holes with a diameter of 14 mm in them and screw the corners to the angle grinder, as shown in the following photo. If you do not have suitable bolts, M14 threaded studs can be used. Just be careful that the bolts are not too long. Otherwise, in some models of angle grinder, they may cling to the impeller located in the gearbox housing.
Without removing the corners from the angle grinder, grab them with welding. After that, the corners can be removed and scalded well.
Sand the weld seams with an angle grinder.
Then you need to make a rotating support for the lever on which the apparatus will be fixed. To do this, select 2 pipes of such diameters so that one can enter the other without much effort.
For a more accurate cut, you can glue masking tape on the tubes and draw a fishing line on it.
Then, while turning the tube, carefully cut the angle grinder. A pipe section of a smaller diameter should be 20 mm shorter (thickness of 2 bearings). it will serve as a spacer.
For a thicker pipe, select 2 bearings that match its inner diameter. After that, insert a thin tube into a thick one and press the bearings on both sides.
Then insert a stud into the bearings. It is imperative to lay a washer in front of the nut.
When the swivel mechanism is ready, you need to weld a small piece of the corner to it.
At the next stage, a stand is made for the swivel mechanism from the same corner 50×50 mm. To make the segments the same length, the corners can be tightened with a clamp and cut off.
Also, without unscrewing the clamp, they can be drilled immediately.
Attach the drilled corners to the finished pivot block using nuts.
Weld a longer corner to this rack, as shown in the following photos.
Now you need to decide on the length of the lever on which the angle grinder will be fixed. This is done by the selection method, based on the dimensions of your angle grinder. You can lay out the parts on the table and calculate the approximate dimensions of the lever, which is better made from 2 pieces of a square profile pipe 20×20 mm.
The pipes must also be clamped with a clamp and cut to the same size.
After all the parts are ready, they can be welded together, as shown in the following photos.
In the next step, you can attach an angle grinder to the finished structure and check again what came of it.
The finished swingarm for the angle grinder can be easily installed on any flat surface such as a workbench. Also, this design can be installed on a table specially made for it. For a more rigid fastening of the mechanism, you can weld small pieces of corners on both sides of the long corner, and drill holes in them.
In the following photos you can see how a ready-made device for an angle grinder is fixed on the table (in this case, a metal frame is used).
It is very important to set a right angle between the plane of the cutting wheel and the plane of the table. Place the square on a table and slide it over to the abrasive wheel on the angle grinder. If initially you managed to weld the fixture so that the angle between the planes was 90 degrees, then this is good. If you notice a deviation from a right angle in one direction or another, then you can correct the situation with a scrap or a long profile pipe, for example, 60×20 mm.
So that the part does not budge during cutting, a corner can be screwed onto the table, which will serve as an emphasis. Also, for an accurate cut, the table can be easily improved with a simple vice made of a nut welded to it and a stud of the required length screwed into it.
Next, you need to make a protective casing. It is done taking into account the maximum diameter of the cutting disc, which can be installed on a specific model of an angle grinder. To make it easier to determine the dimensions of the casing and places for its attachment, you can first make a template, for example, from a piece of cardboard.
- It is required to cut 2 blanks from tin for the future casing.
- Screw an aluminum corner to one of the blanks. With its help, the casing will be attached to the rod of the device.
- Twist 2 halves together.
- Drill holes on the pendulum rod for the angle fixed to the cover, cut a thread into them and screw on the protective cover.
In this case, the casing will also serve as a limiter for the cutting tool, which does not allow it to go too deep into the table during processing of the part.
It will not be superfluous if you make spring loading for the lever with the angle grinder attached to it. In this case, it is easy to do this: insert a smaller tube on the back of the rod and attach a spring to it, as shown in the following photo.
On this, the manufacture of a cutting machine with your own hands, in which an angle grinder is used as a drive, can be considered complete.
This version of the device is the easiest to make with your own hands. It is made without the traditional pivot stand. All you need is one door canopy, a metal strip and a rubber band (you can use a rubber band from a hand expander).
The construction is done as follows:
- in the metal strip, on one side, drill holes for the door shed, and on the other, for the bolt, with which the strip will be attached to the angle grinder;
- screw an angle grinder and a canopy to the strip;
- screw the canopy to the table;
- attach one end of the elastic to the edge of the table and the other to the holder (handle) of the angle grinder.
In just a few minutes you will receive a quality cutting machine. This device is also mobile, because it can be carried with you in a suitcase with tools, and, if necessary, can be mounted on any flat surface.
When installing this device, do not forget to fix the corner on the table to rest the workpiece on it.
How to make a homemade dust collector
The simplest dust collector for an angle grinder can be made from a plastic bottle of motor oil.
The nozzle is made as follows.
- Place a disc of the diameter to be used for cutting to the container and mark: position the disc so that the edges do not catch on the casing, and mark the center.
- Cut a square hole in the side of the bottle with a utility knife.
- You should also cut 2 holes opposite each other, in the place where you marked the center.
- Screw the dust container to the angle grinder using the standard holes for attaching the casing, and put the hose from the vacuum cleaner on the neck of the bottle.
- Slide the cut-off wheel onto the angle grinder shaft.
- The hole, which is used for easy tool change, can be closed with a small piece of plastic.
After these simple steps, you can use your angle grinder to work on materials that generate a lot of dust when cutting.
Homemade machine made of angle grinder for cutting metal
Metal cutting machine made of an angle grinder: a detailed description of the manufacture with a photo.
An excellent machine for a home workshop, can be made from an angle grinder. Such a device allows you to quickly and accurately cut sheet metal of large sizes.
Homemade machine, is a mobile carriage with a fixed angle grinder, which moves along the guide.
To make a cutting machine, you will need materials:
- profile pipe 40 x 20 mm. 0.32 m;
- profile pipe 20 x 20 mm. 1.38 m;
- profile pipe 15 x 15 mm. 0.34 m;
- strip 40 mm. 0.14 m;
- strip 20 mm. 0.16 m;
- bearings 100th series. 16 pcs.;
- M10 bolts for a hexagon 75 mm. 8 pcs;
- M10 nuts. 12 pcs;
- washers 10 mm. 32 pcs;
- long nuts М12. 3 pcs.;
- long nut М10;
- M12 bolt with full thread 200 mm;
- bolts М10 40 mm. 2 pcs.;
- hexagon bolt with full thread 70 mm;
- caps for profile 20 x 20 mm. 6 pcs;
- caps for profile 40 x 20 mm. 1 pc;
- profile pipe 50 x 50 mm, for a guide. 2 m or more.
Further in the photo, the process of making homemade products is shown.
The first step is to make a roller carriage for the linear guide. As its basis, a profile pipe with a section of 20 x 20 mm will be used. You will need 4 blanks 300 mm long.
Ebay Angle Grinder Chop Saw Stand Review
Then, in the blanks, you need to drill through holes for the future connection of parts. Their centers are located 25 mm from each edge of the shaped pipes. A drill with a diameter of 11 mm is required.
We turn the enlightened profile to the other side, and stepping back 50 mm, we drill similar through holes on each side.
To hide the bolts used in the future when assembling the carriage, through holes in the workpieces need to be completed. To do this, one wall of each profile must be reamed using a drill with a diameter of 17 mm. This is how all 16 holes are finalized, the remaining 16 adjacent to them remain intact.
We will make a shoulder for attaching an angle grinder, cut off a 40 x 20 mm profile, 300 mm long.
Make your own large angle grinder stand and metal chop saw
You will also need to make a knot to adjust the depth of passage when cutting. It is made from a 20 x 20 mm profile pipe, 160 mm long. Its ends are cut at an angle of 45 degrees.
From a profile pipe with a section of 15 x 15 mm, you need to cut small spacers 40 mm long. You will need 8 pcs in total.
Putting the structure together. An M12 bolt with a continuous thread, 200 mm long, will be used as the connecting hinge. 3 long M12 nuts are screwed onto it.
Having fastened the bolts and nuts with clamps to the table, you need to attach blanks from a pair of 20×20 mm profiles, and one 40 x 20 mm. Pipes need to be welded to nuts.
Then, from a strip 40 mm wide, you need to cut 2 blanks 50 mm long. In the center, closer to the edges, drill along the hole with an 11 mm drill.
These plates will serve as an attachment of the angle grinder to the standard holes used for attaching the handle. In some tools, these holes can be made for M8 bolts, which will need to be taken into account. For reliability, the 40 mm M10 clamping bolts must be equipped with nuts. The bolts are screwed into the gearbox through the plates and tightened with nuts.
Now, slightly stepping back from the fastening of the plates, a previously made blank from a 20×20 profile with a length of 160 mm is boiled down. On its free end, a plug is welded from the same strip as the mount for the angle grinder. A hole is drilled on the protruding ear of the plate, and an M10 nut is welded onto it. To strengthen the structure, additionally on the side of the profile, you need to weld a steel strip 160 mm long, also sawn at 45 degrees.
After painting the parts, we assemble the carriage. This requires M10 Allen screws, 75 mm long. It is necessary to pull the blanks of shaped pipes 20 x 20 mm together. At the same time, a pie is typed between them: washer, bearing, washer, spacer, washer, bearing, washer. Repeating this 7 more times, the result is a finished carriage.
On the table, install the guide and roller carriage. Its height is regulated by a lining of wooden blocks. The tool is attached to the edge of the table. The workpieces for cutting are pressed with a pair of locksmith clamps. For convenience, you can cut in several passes, each time adding the depth of the cut.
Homemade cut-off machine from an angle grinder, ready to work.
The machine makes straight and precise cuts.
As a result, we got a convenient metal cutting machine.
We also recommend watching a video showing the process of making a cutting machine from an angle grinder and testing it.
Long Material Cutting Stand Angle Grinder
Hello everyone, I propose to consider a very interesting machine based on an angle grinder, which you can make with your own hands. It will allow you to quite evenly cut sheet material large in length and not only. The working disc is easily adjustable in depth, allowing you to cut along the pipe, cut through the sheet material and more. The author also cuts square pipes at an angle quite easily, that is, the machine also works like a pendulum saw.
The machine is arranged very simply, it consists of a carriage that moves along a square steel tube. Bearings act as rollers, and most of the machine frame is made of square steel tubes. Let’s consider in more detail what such a machine can do and how to assemble it!
Materials and tools used by the author:
List of materials:
– square steel pipes;
– square steel pipe of large diameter (the carriage will ride on it);
– nuts and bolts;
– Sheet steel;
– 16 bearings (used as rollers);
– Angle Grinder
– welding machine;
– Angle Grinder;
– marker, tape measure.
The process of making homemade products:
Step one. Carriage manufacturing
Our carriage will ride on a square steel tube on rollers, which are bearings. The backlash of this unit should be minimal, otherwise significant deviations during cutting may occur. And so that there is no backlash, it is advisable to assemble this unit directly on the guide, selecting the required length of spacers or washers. In general, it is desirable to make the knot adjustable. The main parts of the carriage are four pieces of square steel pipe.
The bearings are mounted on screws and pulled together, spacers made of square tubes are installed between the bearings. Install washers on each side of the bearing.
Step two. Bracket for angle grinder
our angle grinder will be fixed on a lever, which is hinged to the carriage, it can rise and fall over the working area. We weld this arm from a steel square pipe, and to attach the angle grinder to the arm, we weld two plates with holes. We will screw it with bolts on both sides, where the handle is attached. As for the handle, it is installed on the machine for convenient movement of the carriage back and forth.
To adjust the height of the lever, a nut is welded to it and a bolt is tightened, which abuts against the carriage. By turning the bolt, you can fine-tune the cutting depth.
To begin with, the author decided to cut a steel square pipe along, the pipe is attached to the table with a clamp. The machine easily coped with this task.
Then the author tried to cut the pipe at an angle, and the machine also coped with this task perfectly.
That’s all, the project is over, the machine has shown itself perfectly in business, and it is assembled quite simply. I hope you liked the homemade product, good luck and creative inspiration, if you decide to repeat.
How to choose and what to look at
When choosing any equipment, you should carefully study the possible types of structures, technical characteristics and functionality, because all your further work will depend on this. When choosing a stand for an angle grinder, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- What disc diameter is the rack designed for? The fact is that a disc with a diameter of 180 mm will not fit a rack with a maximum of 125 mm. The disc simply cannot perform a full working immersion into the slot;
- Is the angle grinder suitable for the selected column? The tool is attached to the stand with three threaded holes on three sides of the angle grinder. Therefore, you need to make sure that the diameter of the hole on the angle grinder matches the diameter of the holes on the part of the stand to which this tool is attached;
- What material should the work table (base plate) be made of? Accuracy and ergonomics of work depend on the choice of material. When exposed to strong vibrations, a lightweight baseplate will not be able to guarantee reliable stability of the rack. Therefore, the heavier the material (for example, cast iron), the better in this case;
- What about a clean workplace and waste collection? The slot on the work table of the rack is designed to drive the disc into it. Therefore, sometimes a container is attached under it to collect dust, shavings and other waste materials;
- Which clamping device for fixing the workpiece is installed in this case? It is very important to fix the working material tightly and securely before starting the cutting process. Some uprights are equipped with an eccentric clamp and some with an adjusting pin (handle). It is better, of course, to choose a rack with a second clamping method. Perhaps this is a longer method of clamping the workpiece, however, and more reliable, because position displacement can definitely be avoided. In addition, some racks are equipped with a vice, which is also very good.
The stand is not such a complicated device, so if you want to, you can make it yourself. over, on the Internet now you can find a lot of videos and articles on this topic. However, we do not advise people who are not confident in their abilities to do this. Indeed, when creating such equipment, it is necessary to observe all proportions very accurately and carefully so that the structure turns out to be strong, reliable and without backlash. For the first time, we still advise you to buy the rack, and not tinker yourself, in order to study all the subtleties of the design.
And the structure of the rack consists of the following elements:
- Base plate, which is usually made of heavy plate steel or cast iron. Sometimes there are designs with a sliding platform, which provide for a possible lengthening of the support frame;
- Stand with a fixing device for installing and fixing the angle grinder;
- Adjustment device for turning the rack and changing the vertical position of the angle grinder;
- Clamps or even a vice for fixing the workpiece;
- Rotary handle for working movement angle grinder;
- Sometimes linear or degree markings are applied to the surface of the base plate.
These elements are the basic components of the rack. Professional equipment, on the other hand, may include other additional devices in its design that increase the accuracy and safety of work.
Stands for angle grinder
This angle grinder stand is designed to work with angle grinders of such diameters.
Angle Grinder Stand (Angle Grinder Angle Grinder) Suitable for both tools with a round diameter.
Angle grinders (angle grinder), commonly referred to as “angle grinders”, are probably the most widely used.
Regardless of the fact that an angle grinder (angle grinder) is a self-sufficient tool, still no large-scale work can be done without a special additional device. bed, also known as a rack. The thing is that this device can significantly facilitate the work of the master, reducing the time of work and reducing the consumption of his forces.
Advantages and disadvantages
In general, there are several advantages to using a machine tool design in conjunction with an angle grinder. So this:
- Ergonomically. The hands of the master are freed to some extent: he does not need to constantly hold the instrument in his hands, while spending a lot of energy;
- Exactly. Thanks to the reliable fixation of the angle grinder in one place, the cut of the parts will be accurate and accurate not only along the straight line of the mowing line, but also at an angle;
- Safely. After all, the angle grinder is fixed. And even if it inadvertently turns on, most likely injuries can be avoided. However, it is better to follow the safety rules and never forget about them;
- Large-scale. The work will be completed faster with the stand, even if the scale is larger than with manual use of the angle grinder.
But pay attention! Even if it seems to you that such a design can replace a circular or circular saw, then keep in mind that this is not the case. A kit such as a “angle grinder” can never replace these two tools. The fact is that the angle grinder is designed for grinding metal (as its name implies) and cutting hard materials (granite, stone, brick, ceramics and even marble). While circular and circular saw. for cutting different types of wood (maximum. soft, thin metal).
There is also another aspect worth paying attention to. As powerful as an angle grinder is, it is still not designed to do as much work as a circular grinder can pull. And this must never be forgotten.
As for the flaws in the design of the angle grinder stand, here you can note points such as:
- Unprofessional. The stand together with the angle grinder is not a professional tool. It is only suitable for small hobby and household work;
- Relative risk. Most often, the racks are made without much intricate protection. They are equipped with the simplest safety features, which is why it is necessary to always use an angle grinder with a protective cover. It may not seem like much of a defense, but it’s still better than nothing at all. After all, you can never be completely sure that the cutting / grinding disc, purchased and installed by you personally, is of high enough quality so that it does not burst during operation. And remember that even such a trifle as a casing can save your life;
- The fragility of the structure. No matter how expensive and high-quality the rack you bought, sooner or later, under the influence of strong vibrations, bolts, clamps and connections may weaken. As a result, unwanted and unloved backlashes appear. Therefore, be sure to check all fasteners from time to time in order to be sure that the equipment is in good working order and safe for operation;
- Uniformity of use. Often, most racks are made to work with only two diameters of cutting discs (for example, 115/125 mm or 180/230 mm), less often. with one. And even less common are racks with a large number of working disc diameters. However, it is not difficult to guess that such beds are more expensive and belong to the semi-professional or completely professional type.
Safety precautions and rules of use
When working with an angle grinder, whether you are working with or without a stand, you must always observe safety precautions. After all, such a power tool as an angle grinder is considered one of the most traumatic and even deadly tools used everywhere.
Cutting device for sheet metal, angle grinder stand, how to build
To protect yourself from possible injury, you must always remember and follow the following safety rules:
- Always use only the disc diameter specified for your angle grinder. The problem is that if you take a disc with a larger diameter, the motor of the tool may simply not be able to cope with the larger weight of the accessory than was originally calculated. In addition, the rectangular slot in the strut base plate is designed for immersion of a disc of a certain diameter. Otherwise, the disc may simply not fit without making a full submerged movement;
- Always choose your cutting and grinding discs carefully based on the type of material you are working with. After all, each material has its own maximum rotation speed. Do not exceed this maximum allowable value during operation. The disc may not be able to withstand the pressure and speed, and will simply split apart during rotation. This can be very life threatening;
- Always use the protective cover, which must be included with your angle grinder. Someday he can save your life;
- Purchase safety glasses for work. This, in which case, will protect your face and head from fragments;
- At the beginning of work, the disc must be given time to accelerate to the preset speed. If this is not done, then he will have to pick up speed under pressure. And this can adversely affect both the integrity of the disc and the performance of the motor of the angle grinder;
- It is always necessary to observe the force of pressing the disk on the workpiece, so that the nozzle does not stop or does not split into parts at all;
- Never work in wet areas. Moist air enters through the ventilation of the angle grinder directly into the motor, as a result of which the winding may become unusable over time;
- Never use discs designed for other tools on the angle grinder. In particular, never use an angle grinder for any other operation other than grinding and cutting hard materials (stone, brick, granite, metal, etc.);
- From time to time, it is necessary to lubricate the internal parts of the tool, after rinsing out the remnants of the old grease;
- The motor of an angle grinder, like any other power tool, heats up during operation. That is why it is necessary to pause from time to time in work so that the engine can cool down.