Petrol Trimmer Does Not Start
How to start a petrol trimmer? How to start a petrol trimmer, how to properly start a petrol cutter after winter? What to do if the trimmer or brushcutter won’t start?
How to start a petrol trimmer?
- How to start a trimmer or petrol cutter motor?
- Starting the brushcutter for the first time or after a long period of inactivity
- Adding fuel through the spark plug holes
- Checking the ignition system
- Cleaning the engine
- Checking the integrity of the spark arrester
- Unstable carburetor operation
- Draining fuel from the gas tank
How to properly start the trimmer is a question that the owners are puzzled with in the event of a device breakdown. And after a successful trimmer repair, the owner tries to avoid repeating the same situation.
Starting the brushcutter for the first time or after a long period of inactivity
A brushcutter differs from a trimmer in that it is not a fishing line that acts as a grass cutter, but a mechanical gearbox or a gear-based winch equipped with a knife. The knife drive is much more powerful than the line mechanism, a powerful gas cutter is also used when cutting bushes. Both Chinese and European petrol cutters are no different when the declared power is real.
Lithol or grease is used to lubricate the gears of the gearbox. After checking the gearbox, prepare the motor for operation according to the above instructions. If the start fails, the problem is already in the engine.
The reason why the trimmer fails may be:
- Tank overflow;
- Excessive pumping of fuel into engines equipped with a manual supercharger;
- Wear in the motor of valves, cylinders, nozzles, cam followers and other moving parts;
- The tanks are out of gasoline and / or oil;
- The spark plug is out of order;
- Clogged fuel or air filters;
- The valves in the motor are out of alignment or burnt.
How to start a trimmer or petrol cutter motor?
The new trimmer is simple during commissioning.
- Check the motor type of the device. Trimmers are equipped with a 2- or 4-stroke motor.
- Buy oil for this type of motor. Gasoline for trimmer AI-92/93/98, sold at all gas stations.
- Mix oil with gasoline. Mineral oil is mixed in a ratio of 1: 34 with gasoline, synthetics in 1: 50. Follow the trimmer manufacturer’s recommendations for oil viscosity (see the label on the flask). All-season oil 5W-30 is used more often. Do not use untested car oils.
- Pour a small amount (for example, 0.5 liters) of the resulting fuel into the tank.
- Close the air damper by sliding the desired lever (see instructions).
- Turn the ignition key (or handle) to the on position without this, the trimmer will not start. Beginners often make this mistake.
- Pump some fuel into the carburetor if there is a manual rocker with a separate button or lever (see instructions). It takes 4-7 clicks.
- Place the trimmer on a level surface.
- Pull on the starter cord gently until you feel it slow down. Then pull it out sharply, but not completely. Repeat this movement up to 4 more times.
- If the engine does not start, open the air damper again, otherwise the candles will flood with gasoline with further movements of the cord. Perform 2-3 attempts to start the engine with the handbrake open.
- If the engine still does not start, close the throttle and make several more attempts to start it.
- After starting the engine, press the throttle lever to idle.
Adding fuel through the spark plug holes
If the trimmer engine does not have manual pumping and the device does not start, add some fuel to the engine itself through the spark plugs. Please do the following.
- Check if the fuel level in the tank is sufficient to drain a small amount. It only takes 20 ml.
- Remove the spark plug cap and unscrew it with a spark plug wrench.
- If the spark plug is dirty on a used trimmer, rinse and ignite it. There should be no deposits on the spark plug electrodes. Do not damage the center conductor ceramic insulator. In a new trimmer, check the spark plugs for a manufacturing defect.
- Put the plug back and check the spark ignition (discharge between the electrodes) when the starter is triggered.
- Remove the candle again. Using a 20 or 50 cc syringe, pour 20 ml of gasoline into the plug hole.
- Insert and fix the spark plug, setting the size of its technological gap at least and no more than a millimeter.
- Pump up fuel using the fuel pump button (or lever) if your trimmer model has one. Press the button every 4 seconds.
Now try to start the engine. Close the air damper immediately after starting.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gasoline streamer, check the presence and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). Prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its amount based on real needs. Excess gasoline left over after work loses its quality over time.
Complex reasons for the failure of petrol cutters
If the step-by-step troubleshooting algorithm does not work, and your scythe still does not start or stalls, it is worth inspecting the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for erratic tool performance. There are three main problems here:
- Clogged ducts or nozzles. All this is cleaned by special washes or blown by a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wires, as the bore may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Exit replacement of a failed gasket;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing it with a suitable pressure gauge. Watch the readings: if they do not change everything is fine, but if the pressure starts to drop, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the petrol trimmer may not start due to wear of the piston group. If chips, scratches or scuffs are found, the piston or cylinder should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory checks. A small backlash of the piston when rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. It is best to entrust this procedure to the specialists of the service center.
Diagnostics of filters for petrol cutters
Another reason why the gasoline scythe stalls is the air filter. To eliminate it, try removing the filter and starting the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow through and thoroughly clean the old one.
The petrol trimmer may not start if the fuel filter is dirty. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can turn into repairing the engine piston group.
We carry out diagnostics of a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the brushcutter stalls when starting, then a flooded candle may be the cause. Here, for repairs, an ordinary candle wrench is suitable (every motorist probably has) and a spare candle.
- We unscrew the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not ignite);
- We drain the excess fuel in the chamber through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- We clean the old candle from carbon deposits using a file or a lady’s file;
- We expose a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We put everything back in place and try to start the trimmer.
If the candle is working, the socket where it is located is completely dry, and the petrol cutter does not want to start, lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp. No matter how wonderful a spark the candle may give out, there is simply nothing to ignite in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, you should exclude such a reason as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire. If the connection is good and there is still no spark, most likely your ignition unit has flown. Here it will not be possible to do without a master, since the part is not repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Why the petrol cutter won’t start troubleshooting
Caring for the personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the petrol cutter does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of a useful unit in the country needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- How to start diagnostics of brushcutters
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We carry out diagnostics of a candle and a candle channel
- Diagnostics of filters for petrol cutters
- Breather and exhaust port
- Complex reasons for the failure of petrol cutters
- Rules for the operation and storage of petrol cutters
Breather and exhaust port
Often, delicate branded petrol brushes do not start and stall due to a dirty breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. When this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, preventing the supply of fuel. You can eliminate the malfunction by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of streamers with internal combustion engines can be disrupted due to dirt entering the exhaust channel or a clogged silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older generation models. The issue can be resolved by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark grid.
How can I prevent sudden breakages while using the trimmer?
In order for the unit to always be in a functional state, it is worth following a few simple rules:
- Conduct a timely, regular technical inspection of the main mechanical components of the device.
- Fill the trimmer with only fresh fuel, the quality and origin of which is beyond doubt.
- After each use of the tool, check whether oxides and carbon deposits have formed on the surface of the ignition system components.
- Avoid heavy loading of the trimmer during work.
In order for the unit to remain in working order, it is necessary to properly prepare it for storage in the winter. First of all, you should completely disassemble the instrument, and then flush and clean the constituent elements. It is also important to inspect the functional blocks for damage, if necessary, eliminating the deformation of parts, all kinds of distortions, gusts of materials.
Outlet duct diagnostics
Stable trimmer performance can be impaired by build-up of dirt in the exhaust port or blockage in the muffler mesh. This problem most often occurs during the operation of older generation trimmer models. The problem is solved by dismantling the anti-spark grid and cleaning it.
Another common reason a trimmer won’t start is a blockage in the filter area. To confirm the guess, it is enough to dismantle the indicated block and try to start the unit without it. If the trimmer engine starts, most likely you will have to replace the air filter or at least thoroughly purge the old one. If there is abundant dirt on the surface of the filter element, a new mesh must be used. When resorting to such actions, the suction pipe should not be left completely without a filter. After all, haste in this case can lead to the need to repair the entire piston group of the engine unit.
Often the engine of branded trim models stalls as a result of a clogged breather. The main task of this component is to equalize the pressure in the fuel tank. In case of contamination of the unit, a vacuum is formed here, which significantly complicates the supply of fuel. The problem can be eliminated by cleaning the breather with a regular sewing needle.
Checking the fuel mixture
Let’s say your trimmer won’t start. In this case, the first step is to check whether there is enough fuel in the tank, and also to assess the quality of the fuel mixture. It is necessary to refuel the motorized unit with exclusively high-quality gasoline. It is recommended to use fuel with a grade not lower than AI-95. Filling the trimmer with fuel of unknown origin not purchased from a gas station can cause frequent tool failures. This can cause damage to the piston-cylinder system. In this case, repairs often exceed the cost of the device itself.
Why won’t the petrol trimmer start? Improper preparation of the fuel mixture, which consists of oil and gasoline, can also lead to this. The proportions in which these components are connected are indicated by the manufacturers in the trimmer instruction manual. It is highly discouraged to prepare the fuel mixture in large volumes, that is, for the future. Indeed, with long-term savings, there is a loss of the determining properties of the substance. Therefore, if the trimmer does not start, it is worth draining the old fuel and using a freshly prepared fuel mixture.
Off-season petrol trimmer storage tips
When storing the trimmer, it is worth filling the gearbox with enough oil. Then you need to clean the air filter, partially disassemble, blow out and rinse the engine of the unit. After drying all mechanisms, the moving elements should be lubricated. To process the piston system with oils, you must first remove the spark plug. Then you need to move the piston to the extreme position, then pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole and rotate the crankshaft. If you do not plan to store the petrol trimmer in the off-season in the house, it is recommended to tightly wrap the engine of the unit with oiled rags. This will avoid the development of corrosion on the surface of important parts of the mechanism.
Trimmer petrol Husqvarna 128R
Found it cheaper? Get a discount!
Lightweight portable trimmer Husqvarna 128R useful in household and garden maintenance. The light weight (5 kg including the cutting attachment) and the easiest starting is designed for ordinary users with no previous experience with mowers.
The 0.75 kW two-stroke petrol engine is sufficient for mowing lawns, grass and small bushes. Trimmer working width 45 cm.
Starts up quickly (Husqvarna’s patented Smart Start®), refueling and auto return switch. The adjustable handle and comfortable straps on both shoulders allow you to adjust the device to your body shape, thereby reducing the strain on your arms and shoulder girdle.
The 128R model is extremely compact (due to the small size of the fuel tank), easy to carry and transport, and has a modest consumption of the combustible mixture. The trimmer is equipped with a grass knife and line, a protective cover.
Please note: the trimmer does not run on pure fuel, but on a mixture. We recommend using only genuine Husqvarna oil in a 1:50 ratio.
Ergonomic grip Comfortable grip design. Tap n Go Trimmer Head The Tap n Go trimmer head provides easy, fast line feed.
The lightweight Husqvarna 128R Portable Trimmer comes in handy for household and garden use. The light weight (5 kg including the cutting attachment) and the easiest starting is designed for ordinary users with no previous experience with mowers. The 0.75 kW two-stroke petrol engine is sufficient for mowing lawns, grass and small bushes. Trimmer working width 45 cm. Quick start (patented Husqvarna Smart Start® system), fuel pump function and auto return switch. The adjustable handle and comfortable straps on both shoulders allow you to adjust the device to your body shape, thereby reducing the strain on your arms and shoulder girdle. The 128R model is extremely compact (due to the small size of the fuel tank), easy to carry and transport, and has a modest consumption of the combustible mixture. The trimmer is equipped with a grass knife and line, a protective cover. Please note: the trimmer does not work on clean
Perform cold starts correctly!
Often, gasoline trimmers do not start after trying to put them into operation after long-term storage. Launch failures in this case are often caused by incorrect user actions.
If you are faced with this very phenomenon, then during a cold start you need to close the damper, and then pump a small amount of the fuel mixture into the carburetor. Then pull the starter handle until you feel resistance, then start the trimmer with sharp and energetic movements.
What to do when the petrol trimmers won’t start?
The petrol trimmer is a surprisingly useful tool that can be used to mow not only a miniature front lawn, but a whole lawn of considerable size. Unfortunately, there is nothing eternal in this world, and therefore you may be faced with the fact that petrol trimmers do not start.
It often happens that users of this kind of cars are trying to save money by filling the tank with not fuel with a normal octane number, but something incomprehensible that has been in a plastic canister for almost a dozen years.
The main thing. Fuel mixture!
In this case, the remnants of plastic dissolved in an aggressive environment do such terrible things in the combustion chamber that you will definitely not be able to do without completely sorting out the mechanism. But you will certainly remember forever how to properly store fuel.
What to do when the fuel was definitely normal, there is a spark, but the petrol trimmer will not start? It is possible that you just filled the candle with gasoline. In this case, it must be turned out, wiped with a clean cloth and dried. By the way, it will be quite useful to check the candle itself for performance.
There are not only situations when petrol trimmers do not start, but there are cases when, after starting, they work for a couple of seconds and immediately stall. Inspect the spark plug again: if it is thrown over, and this situation repeats even after wiping and drying it, proceed to revising the air filter.
Most likely, it is completely oiled and needs to be replaced. If everything is normal with the filter, it may be that the ignition coil is out of order.
In the case when the petrol trimmers do not start, and you have done all of the above, the muffler may be clogged. It must be dismantled, burned on a burner, after which all carbon deposits can be easily shaken out.
Even if your trimmer will not start even after such bullying, you cannot do without disassembling the carburetor. It may very well be that the falling needle in it is to blame for everything. In any case, disassembling and flushing this whimsical mechanism will certainly not interfere.
In general, when the trimmer began to be capricious and stall, it is advisable to carry out full prevention: completely change the fuel mixture, try a different oil, and also change the spark plug without fail. Practice shows that in many cases it is cheap poor-quality candles that are to blame.
We’ve covered the most common reasons why the trimmer won’t start. If the matter is in something more exotic, you cannot avoid going to the service center. You will probably find smaller and more obvious breakdowns yourself.