Petrol trimmer stalled and won’t start
Petrol trimmer won’t start? Elitech T750 Reasons and Solutions
In general, such a conversation should start with the fact that after buying a garden gasoline tool, it would be better to first familiarize yourself with the instructions attached to it. Then many problems could be avoided. But since this happened, the gasoline trimmer will not start, then you need to look for sources of inoperability. And in this article we will consider the main reasons why the trimmer does not start on the example of the Elitech T750 model, as well as we will tell you general recommendations for using such a tool.
You should start with the banal! Let’s figure out how to properly start the gasoline trimmer. It may be that the reason lies precisely here.
First you need to bring the red toggle switch on the trim bar to the “I” position. This means turning on the power. Then you need to switch the fuel supply lever on the carburetor and use the fuel “suction” button (similar to a pipette, located on the carburetor). This is necessary to supply gasoline to the engine. Return the fuel delivery lever to its original position. Finally, pull the starter handle sharply toward you. The trimmer should work. Try it several times if it doesn’t work the first time. If after such manipulations the situation has not changed and the gasoline trimmer does not start, then you should first inspect it yourself before you take it to the service center. There are two main reasons your garden trimmer won’t start:
- Power circuit breakdown.
- No fuel.
- Let’s start with the ignition problems. In most cases, it is caused by the need to change the spark plug in the engine. This is done like this:
- First of all, we must take care of the safety measures, making sure that the trimmer is turned off. We bring the above toggle switch to the “STOP” position.
- Then we remove the rubber protection from the spark plug and the wiring terminal. Using a special spark plug wrench, we unscrew the spark plug and replace it.
- After that, we assemble the device and carry out the above procedure for starting the trimmer.
The second reason garden tools don’t work is because they run out of fuel. On the Elinech T750, the fuel tank is located near the engine, but on most trimmers it is located there. We unscrew the cap from the tank and fill it with gasoline (the most optimal version of the AI-92, it is inexpensive and does not clog the carburetor like the AI-76). Do not forget to add special oil for engines to the tank, 50 grams is enough for the gas tank, without it the engine will start to “sneeze” and will quickly become unusable. Then we close the tank with a cap, wipe the trimmer surface and our hands with a dry cloth. We also do the above manipulations to turn on the garden tool.
If the petrol trimmer still won’t start, then it makes sense to have it repaired. And the reason for this decision is simple. if you do not have the appropriate skills, equipment repair is almost impossible.
In order for the tool to serve as long as possible and not to have such problems, you should first of all read the instruction manual for the trimmer. Also, pay special attention to the engine running time at the trimmer. take a short break every 15 minutes of work and, finally, take proper care of the tool, wipe it after work, lubricate it with graphite grease. Observing such simple rules, you can significantly increase the service life of the tool and it is quite possible that you do not have to look for reasons why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
37,087 total views, 1 views today
Ways to eliminate breakage
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be at least AI-92 gasoline and high-quality engine oil. The proportions for which the mixture is prepared are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual that comes with any gasoline trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. In this way, the easiest way is to maintain the appropriate proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting the lawn mowers, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a blockage is found, the easiest way to replace the filter is a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with little time. You will need to do the following:
- remove the filter element;
- directly in the working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- when operating a scythe at home or at a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- the cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions did not provide a positive result, then the next step will be to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications and videos posted on the World Wide Web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems in question, there are several steps you can take.
- The trimmer is placed on the side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, lawn mowers’ owners find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the internal combustion engine does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching for many years. It is necessary to move the choke to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
Problems can arise with the starter itself. Often the cable breaks and the handle breaks. You can deal with such troubles on your own. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased assembled and installed by hand.
The spark plug can be flooded with fuel during the start of the trimmer ICE. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, it is unlikely that it will be possible to start the device. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- turn off the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- remove the candle itself;
- inspect the dismantled part;
- make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- screw in a new, working plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repair work related to the fact that the scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later one has to deal with during the operation of a household lawn mower, it is quite possible to cope independently. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio between the cost of repair and the price of a new trimmer.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several of the most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mower owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the engine of the lawn mower, it may stall due to the fact that it floods the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops getting hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, trimmer owners have to face more serious troubles. One of these is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the relevant instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of such symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of equipment. In addition, poor quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is relevant both for Chinese lawn mowers and for representatives of the lineup of famous brands.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnostics of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mower does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repairs. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations when the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still shows no signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle at the next start-up attempt;
- completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate gap;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there will be nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. When faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often, the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all on a cold one due to the clogged air filter. This malfunction can be identified by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users are strongly advised to periodically purge the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also not start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, which is provided for in all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and searching for the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust port and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
- Diagnostic features
- Main reasons
- Ways to eliminate breakage
- Recommendations for use
Taking into account the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the most common troubles is that the lawn mower will not start or gain momentum. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any lawn mowers and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- in the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to timely and efficiently clean the channels located on the scythe body and the ribs of the starter;
- in the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- these works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- it is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- all fuel residues in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the streamer; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- after removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be completely removed from the internal combustion engine.
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- completely disassemble the trimmer;
- thoroughly rinse and clean all elements to which there is access;
- inspect the parts of the lawn mowers in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found in this case should be eliminated);
- pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- having the appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to carry out a partial disassembly of the power plant, followed by purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- wrap the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- remove the candle;
- transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with the help of the starter;
- pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
It is important to remember that competent operation of lawn mowers and its timely maintenance (independent or in service) is a guarantee of the longest possible service life and minimum costs.
Next, watch a video on how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
Trimmer won’t start
Like any technique, trimmers are susceptible to various breakdowns. Often at the beginning of the summer cottage, the owners of such a tool complain that the trimmer does not start, and it takes a long time to look for the cause of the malfunction.
For those who have recently purchased a trimmer and are still “you” with this technique, it will be useful to know why the trimmer does not start and what to do in this case. So let’s find out what might be causing this.
Petrol trimmer won’t start. 10 possible reasons
Before attempting to adjust the operation of the tool yourself, carefully read the instruction manual for its operation. Perhaps the information contained in it will push you to one or another thought. Otherwise, you will have to look for the cause of the malfunction by the selection method. It can be one of the following:
- The toggle switch on the boom is not in the “On” position. This is one of the basic steps, but sometimes beginners forget to turn on the tool before launching it.
- Lack of fuel in the tank also belongs to such errors. If you run out of fuel and you forgot about it, just fill the tank (usually located near the engine) with AI-92 gasoline.
- Lack, inappropriate mixture or proportion of engine oil. Ideally, no more than 50 g of oil should be added regularly. This will provide additional lubrication and keep your trimmer motor running. Also keep in mind that there are different types of oil (“synthetics”, “semisynthetics”, “mineral water”). they all have a different effect on the operation of the mechanism.
- If the trimmer mower does not start after winter, drain the remaining fuel in the gas tank and replace it with fresh fuel. This is especially true for small, low power trimmers with small motors that are sensitive to poor quality mix. In addition, during the winter, sediment may form at the bottom of the gas tank, due to which problems arise with the operation of the device.
- Excessive fuel pumping can also be one of the reasons that the trimmer stalled and will not start. When the choke is closed, the spark plug is flooded with fuel. It should be unscrewed and dried, and then inserted into its place and try to start the engine while holding the gas trigger. It is advisable to check it before that there is a spark between the electrodes. If there is no spark, the spark plug should be replaced.
- Filter problems. If your trimmer does not start well, remove the air filter and start the tool without it. If everything worked out, the filter should be replaced with a new one. As an option. thoroughly clean and blow out the old one, however, sooner or later you will have to make a replacement.
- Trimmer stalled and won’t start? Try to clean the so-called breather. an element designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. Cleaning can be done with a regular long needle. A clogged breather is often the cause of a malfunction.
- The knives have been removed from the machine. some models will not work under this condition.
- Violation of tightness. You can check this with a pressure gauge. If the pressure starts to drop, you should determine which part of the carburetor is faulty. Most often the carburetor gasket wears out.
- Sometimes, after a long period of operation, you will notice that the trimmer is overheated and will not start. First, you should know to take breaks. The amount of continuous operation time recommended for this model should be indicated in the instructions. Also, the problem of overheating may lie in a faulty ignition coil or in the air cooling system, which prevents overheating.
If none of these steps worked, you should contact a repair shop or service center.
Causes of breakdowns of gasoline and electric trimmers
The trimmer, both electric and with an internal combustion engine (ICE), is an indispensable tool in summer and autumn for owners of summer cottages and private houses. With its help weeds, small shrubs are easily removed and the lawn is trimmed. But, like any technique, trimmers fail at the most inopportune moment. To fix faults with his own hands, the user of this technique first needs to determine the reason for their appearance.
The main malfunctions of gasoline and electric trimmers
Lawn mowers and electric trimmers, apart from damage to the boom and mowing head, mostly occur in the area of the engine.
When removing the plug, the suction hose may come off and remain in the reservoir. It is removed with tweezers.
Next, remove the old fuel filter from the hose and put the new one purchased in advance on it. You can also clean your fuel filter if you don’t have a new one. The filter must be secured to the hose with a spring clip.
Place the intake tube on the plug and insert the latter into the tank.
It should be noted that in some trimmer models, the intake hose is not located on the plug, but inside the tank. You can remove it with tweezers or a hook bent from a wire.
Electric trimmer vibrates
Many mower users have noticed that some time after the start of the machine, it begins to vibrate strongly. On some trimmers, mainly in more expensive models, an anti-vibration system is installed in the form of shock absorbers located between the engine and the boom. But in some cases, even she does not save from strong vibration. The reason that a strong vibration appears in the trimmer may be a small amount or a complete absence of lubrication on a rigid or flexible shaft located inside the apparatus rod.
Rigid shaft lubrication is changed as follows:
- unscrew the gearbox located at the bottom of the rod;
- after removing the gearbox, you will see the end of the shaft, which must be pulled to remove the part;
- after removing the shaft, it must be abundantly lubricated with a special grease “Shrus-4” or the usual one. “Litol-24”;
- apply a small amount of grease to the shaft and spread it evenly along the entire length of the part, including the splines at the ends of the rod (if they work, the shaft will have to be replaced);
- after lubrication, insert the shaft back into the rod and put the gearbox in its original place.
The flexible shaft is lubricated as follows:
- unscrew and remove the mowing head;
- remove the rod from the electric motor by unscrewing a couple of bolts;
- pull the flexible cable out of the rod;
- lubricate the cable with grease along the entire length.
This is done like this: first you need to lubricate the end of the cable, and then insert it into the rod, after which, as it moves inside the pipe, you should apply lubricant to the part and distribute it evenly over the surface. Then insert the flexible shaft rod into the electric motor and secure it.
In the case when the lubrication did not help, and the vibration continues to appear, you will need to change the flexible shaft.
Why the petrol trimmer won’t start
The reasons why the petrol trimmer stopped starting may be different, so a step-by-step diagnosis of the device is required.
The reason that the trimmer has significantly lost power, and when trying to increase engine speed, it picks up slowly, is often a clogged exhaust channel through which exhaust gases come out of the combustion chamber.
It is necessary to remove the muffler so that no burns get into the cylinder. Next, clean the exhaust channel from carbon deposits.
This must be done very carefully, avoiding the ingress of carbon deposits into the combustion chamber.
After this procedure, the weak power of the unit and a slow increase in the speed of rotation of the mowing head will no longer upset you.
The breather is a non-return valve designed to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If it is clogged and does not allow air to pass towards the tank, then a vacuum forms inside the fuel container, and the fuel stops flowing into the carburetor. To check if the valve is working, remove the hose that goes from the reservoir to the carburetor. If gasoline does not flow out of the tank, it means that the breather is clogged.
Trimmer users often ask themselves: Where is the breather? This valve is usually located in the gas cap and looks like the following figure.
Cleaning the breather is very simple: disassemble the valve and rinse all of its components. On some mowers, this valve may be located directly on the fuel tank. It will not be possible to find it right away, since it is hidden from view under the starter housing. Such a breather is cleaned with a regular needle.
Perform Cold Start Correctly!
Often, petrol trimmers do not start after trying to “put them into operation” after long-term storage. Launch failures in this case are often caused by incorrect user actions.
Top Reasons String Trimmer Not Starting — String Trimmer Troubleshooting
If you are faced with exactly this phenomenon, then during a cold start, you need to close the damper, and then pump a small amount of the fuel mixture into the carburetor. Then pull the starter handle until you feel resistance, then start the trimmer with sharp and energetic movements.
What to do when petrol trimmers won’t start?
The petrol trimmer is a surprisingly useful tool that can be used to mow not only a miniature front lawn, but a whole lawn of considerable size. Unfortunately, there is nothing eternal in this world, and therefore you may face the fact that petrol trimmers do not start.
It often happens that users of this kind of cars are trying to “save money” by pouring into the tank not fuel with a normal octane number, but something incomprehensible that has been in a plastic canister for almost a dozen years.
The main thing. fuel mixture!
In this case, the remnants of plastic dissolved in an aggressive environment do such terrible things in the combustion chamber that you will definitely not be able to do without completely overturning the mechanism. But you will certainly remember forever how to store fuel correctly.
What to do when the fuel was definitely normal, there is a spark, but the petrol trimmer will not start? It is possible that you just filled the candle with gasoline. In this case, it must be turned out, wiped with a clean cloth and dried. By the way, it will be quite useful to check the candle itself for performance.
There are not only situations when petrol trimmers do not start, but there are cases when, after starting, they work for a couple of seconds and immediately stall. Inspect the spark plug again: if it is “thrown”, and this situation repeats even after wiping and drying it, go to the “revision” of the air filter.
Most likely, it is completely oiled and needs to be replaced. If everything is fine with the filter, it may be that the ignition coil is out of order.
In the case when the petrol trimmers do not start, and you have done all of the above, the muffler may be clogged. It must be dismantled, burned on a burner, after which all carbon deposits can be easily shaken out.
Even if your trimmer will not start even after such bullying, you cannot do without disassembling the carburetor. It may very well be that the dropping of the needle in it is to blame for everything. In any case, disassembling and flushing this whimsical mechanism will certainly not interfere.
In general, when the trimmer began to be capricious and stall, it is advisable to carry out full preventive measures: completely change the fuel mixture, try a different oil, and also change the spark plug without fail. Practice shows that in many cases it is cheap low-quality candles that are to blame.
We’ve covered the most common reasons why the trimmer won’t start. If the matter is in something more “exotic”, you cannot avoid going to the service center. You will probably find smaller and more obvious breakdowns yourself.