Reverse Does Not Work On Screwdriver
A screwdriver is a mobile tool that facilitates working with fasteners and threaded connections.
Until recently, cordless screwdrivers could only be found in the arsenal of professionals, however, with the advent of low-cost household models in widespread sales, their popularity has increased dramatically.
Unlike an expensive professional tool, budget counterparts have less resources, which is why they often fail.
One of the weakest points of a household screwdriver is the start button and reverse switch. As practice shows, they break most often.
As a rule, it all starts with the fact that the soft start function stops working, then a stronger pull on the “trigger” is required to start the electric motor.
Over time, the tool completely stops responding to any manipulations. Often there is a problem of the opposite nature, when the motor starts to work spontaneously.
In some cases, to eliminate the defect, it is enough to disassemble the tool and clean it, although more often a complete screwdriver button replacement. And in the first and in the second case, you can fix the problem with your own hands. First things first.
Device and diagram of a screwdriver button
The screwdriver button is the main control element that performs several functions at once:
- Turn on / turn on the tool;
- Switching direction of rotation;
- Soft start of the engine;
- Speed adjustment.
At the same time, each of the controls built into the button block itself cannot work correctly. With the exception of the direction of rotation switch, which more often is a separate function block.
The case in most cases consists of three conventional compartments in which the working units and mechanisms are located.
- In the lower part of the housing there is a control unit for turning on / off and adjusting the speed of the electric motor.
- In the middle part is located the “trigger” itself of the soft start (the deeper it is pressed, the higher the speed of rotation of the cartridge). When pressed, the button slides along the guides in a special block; a variable resistor is responsible for adjusting the speed.
- In the upper part there is a reverse button. a switch of the direction of rotation of the cartridge. The direction changes by changing the polarity of the voltage supplied to the switch.
Video: Reverse Does Not Work On Screwdriver
Approximately this is how all control units for screwdrivers of different brands are arranged. To familiarize yourself with the button device of a specific instrument model in more detail, we recommend that you study screwdriver button diagram (it is in the instructions).
How to repair a screwdriver button if it does not work. detailed instructions
To diagnose and repair a screwdriver, you will need the following tools:
- Crosshead screwdriver;
- Narrow flat head screwdriver.
As a result of the active use of any power tool, dirt inevitably accumulates inside its body.
Getting into the control unit, it prevents the full movement of the "trigger" and blocks it.
Stages of diagnosis:
- We disassemble the tool body. To do this, disconnect the battery, unscrew all the screws (they can be hidden behind the decorative plates, which will have to be removed).
- Check the health of the electric motor. To do this, disconnect the two power wires from the control unit and connect them to the battery contacts (the engine should work).
- We disassemble the screwdriver button. To do this, squeeze the plastic latches and disconnect the two parts of the button housing.
- We make a visual inspection of the state of the button for dirt and damage.
- Next, you need to carefully assemble the screwdriver button, reinstall and test.
" alt ="">
If cleaning the control unit does not work, replace the entire button unit.
To do this, you need:
- Disassemble the screwdriver (the process is described above);
- Set the new button to the old one;
- Connect the motor to the terminals of the button (polarity is not necessary in this case);
- Assemble a screwdriver by carefully placing the wires in the housing.
It is very important to choose a button for a specific model of a screwdriver, because with all the external similarities and visual correspondence, the part may not fit into the grooves. As a rule, new buttons are sold complete with battery terminals and a transistor.