Sizes Of Dog Kennels For German And Caucasian Shepherd Dogs, Alabai, Huskies, Huskies, Labrador
Many of the guard dogs are too large for typical apartments (Caucasian Shepherd, Alabai), so they prefer to keep them in the yard, on the street. However, it is necessary to take care of the dwelling for the dog, think over where he will rest, sleep, hide from the rain. Usually the owners build booths for their pets.
General patterns in calculating the size of the dog box
When building or buying a home for a dog, be sure to consider its size. In a small booth he will be cramped and uncomfortable. In too big – cold in winter, the caretaker will freeze. A kennel should allow the animal to freely enter, lie down, and turn around.
If the pet is only a few months old, then there are 2 options: build 2 booths (“puppy”, with a small margin and “adult”) or make housing right under the size of the raised animal. In the latter case, it is necessary to focus on the standards of the breed, if the puppy is pedigreed. If the mongrel, then we can proceed from the size of the parents and the projected growth.
To calculate the necessary parameters of the booth, you will need to measure:
- dog chest width;
- length from tip of nose to tail;
- height at withers;
- total height from floor to head.
Having on hand all the parameters, you can proceed to the calculation of the sizes of the kennel. The following relationship between the dimensions of the dog and the internal dimensions of the booth is observed:
- the height and width of the booth are equal to the total height of the dog 5 cm;
- the depth of the kennel is equal to the length of the dog 5 cm;
- The hole is 5 cm wider than the width of the chest and 5 cm lower than the height at the withers.
Thus, it is easy to calculate the size of the dog shed of any breed and build the perfect home for the pet.
Video: What should be a dog house. Rules and sizes.
If you buy a ready-made booth
Separately for each breed booths are not made. Manufacturers proceed from their division into 3 conditional groups: small, medium, large. And already for each category use averaged parameters. Of course, this does not take into account the individual characteristics of each dog, since even within each group there is a significant variation in size. Therefore, not always sold booths will be suitable for each particular pet. To choose the right booth, you need to know the size of the dog.
For small breeds (dachshund, terrier, pug) the following sizes are offered: up to 60x80x60 cm. Laz 40×30 cm and less.
For medium (such as, for example, the dimensions of a booth for huskies, likes, etc.): up to 80x110x80 cm. Laz 45×35 cm.
For large (Caucasian, Alabai): up to 110x130x110 cm. Laz 50×40.
How to choose a place for the kennel
There are a number of requirements for the correct location of the kennel. Whether for German Shepherd Dog or for mutts, the list is the same:
- The protected area must be fully visible. Watchdogs need to control all movements in the host’s territory, since it is constantly on the "service".
- The room for the dog should be removed from the human house at 10-15 m. Then the owners and the guard will not interfere with each other.
- Unacceptable joint dogs and other animals (cows, horses, etc.). Noise, fumes, irritating odors, etc., adversely affect the health and condition of the caretaker.
- The doghouse should be in a bright, well-lit place. But there should be a shadow nearby, so that a pet in the summer can hide from the scorching sun. The best option – under a tree or a canopy.
- The place for the kennel must be dry so that no water accumulates under it. A good option is to put the booth on a hill. Then the water will drain, and the review will be great.
- When installing the house should be oriented to the cardinal points and take into account the prevailing wind direction. Drafts have a negative effect on the health of dogs. The entrance should be directed to the side from which no winds blow, so that in winter or autumn snow and rain will not blow into the booth.
- It is undesirable to put a kennel directly on the ground. Then, in wet weather, the floor will be damp and cold, and moisture will linger beneath it. It is better to bring a small foundation, use the stand or put on the legs. A gap of 5-10 cm wide between the floor and the ground is necessary so that the bottom is ventilated and does not get wet from the surface.
- Bowls should stand so that the animal cannot accidentally turn them over.
Sizes of guard breeds
Sizes doghouse for huskies. The optimal length is indoors – up to 100 cm, height (excluding the roof) and width – up to 80 cm. A small manhole, approximately 40-45 by 30-35 cm, with a threshold height of about 20 cm, can be additionally upholstered so as not to wear out quickly. In winter, the entrance should be curled with a sacking cloth or other thick fabric so that the door lays down with a slight overlap on the shoals and threshold.
The size of a German Shepherd dog house: 80 cm long, width and height (at the lowest point) is 70 cm. Lazer size is 45×35 cm. It is also advisable to provide a threshold so that water, dirt and dust remain outside.
The dwelling for the husky practically does not differ from the place where a husky or a shepherd will live: length up to 90 cm, width and height up to 70 cm. The size of the manhole is 45×35 cm.
Several more booth for Caucasian Shepherd. Its dimensions will be approximately as follows: interior 90x80x110 cm (WCX). Laz about 40×50 cm
The most spacious booth for alabay: its size is 90x100x130 cm (HxWxD). Laz up to 45×55 cm
Next to the kennel you can equip a wooden shield of 100×150 cm. This is a small flooring for feeding and resting the dog so that it does not lie in the dirt. Also, do not interfere with a strong hook or ring for tying a pet, even if it is not planned on a chain. Sometimes it is necessary to hold the animal.
Natural wood is best suited for a kennel: boards, slabs, thin logs, etc. It is necessary to treat building materials with impregnations that prevent rotting and fungus formation. Outside, you can use plywood, MDF and other materials. From the outside you can paint the booth. So it will look more attractive, and the tree will be protected from moisture. Inside to use paints and varnishes is not recommended.
The roof can be made single or dual gable. The first option is preferable, because dogs love to lie on the roof of their houses. If a pet is kept on a leash most of the time, then jumping up and down will allow it to keep its shape. The angle of the roof is small, not more than 20-30 °. Best of all 15-20 °. From above it should be covered with a moisture-proof material. Knowing the size of the dog box and the angle of inclination, it is easy to calculate the required length and calculate the amount of material. You can make a flat roof, but in this case, water can accumulate on it. The roof must be lifting so that it is convenient to restore order. Also not bad if the roof will come forward, forming a "shed" above the entrance. This will be additional protection from rain and snow.
The floor and walls inside should be smooth, without cracks. For areas with cold winters, it is imperative to consider the insulation of the booth. Usually the inner walls are sheathed with foam. It is an affordable and inexpensive material, but it retains heat well. Inside you can make a litter. Hay and straw are especially good, since they are easy to lay and remove. In the summer of litter is not needed.
The entrance is curtained with sacking or tarpaulin. In cold areas, felt is sometimes used. The size of the curtains in length and width is 3-5 cm larger than the manhole. Otherwise, it will close the entrance loosely. If the “door” is too large, it will get stuck inside the booth, which will create additional inconvenience for the caretaker. If the dog is too long, it will step on it, which will also hinder free movement.
Perhaps the most important thing to rely on when calculating the dimensions of a dog box is its own dimensions. Only in this case, housing will meet the needs of the pet.