Small Grass Trimmer For Mowing
Lush vegetation between houses in a residential quarter or cottage can clutter paths and areas under fences. Unlike a neat lawn, tall grass looks ugly. At enterprises, uncut areas of greenery create an unfavorable impression. To correct this situation, use lawn mowers. But due to their limited maneuverability and high cost, not everyone can afford to buy it, especially in the country or in the public utilities. Now there are their lightweight counterparts – grass trimmers that can do the same job, but are more compact and inexpensive. To correctly choose this garden tool, you need to know the main types of trimmers and what parameters they must meet in order to cope with grass on a specific landscape.
The best trimmer manufacturers. Which company to choose
Good trimmers are produced by companies that have proven themselves in the high-quality manufacture of other electric and gasoline tools.
Those who do not have time to delve into the features of this product can be recommended to purchase a device from any of the companies in the following list:
For those who want to see the advantages and disadvantages of specific models from these brands, a corresponding article has been written with a detailed review. Well, for those who want to understand everything on their own, the parameters and features of this garden tool are given below.
The principle of operation and the device trimmer for grass
The grass trimmer is a garden tool for cutting green vegetation with a soft stem and not thick dead wood. Unlike lawn mowers, the devices have a small weight and are worn by the operator on belts, and do not roll on wheels on the ground. Light weight makes it easy to transport the devices to the place of work and quickly move from site to site.
Using the cutting part of the trimmer, you can:
- Maintain a low grass height on the lawn;
- Mow it between houses and along paths;
- Remove deadwood thickets near the carriageway;
- Cut vegetation directly under the fence;
- Cultivate the green shores of ponds.
Trimmers have a low cost, unlike lawn mowers, and increased maneuverability makes them more convenient to use. Both residents of the private sector and utilities, as well as enterprises, buy such an instrument in order to take care of the existing territory.
The operation process of the garden tool consists in putting the case on the operator’s body through special belts. The trimmer head is brought to the grass and the button on the handle starts the engine. Torque is transmitted to the bobbin through a rigid shaft in the apparatus tube. The head contains a cutting element that cuts grass stems at high speed.
To prevent impacts on solid objects and sticks flying out in the face, a protective casing is provided, covering 40% of the circumference of the diameter of the action of the cutting part of the tool.
Most modern trimmers have the following device:
1. Motor (electric or gasoline);
2. Fuel tank (in the case of an internal combustion engine);
4. Handle for direction (1-2 pcs);
5. A rigid shaft for transmitting rotation from the motor;
6. A bobbin with a cutting element (fishing line or knife);
7. Protective cover;
8. Belt fastening.
Types of Grass Trimmers
The cutting unit of the trimmer has a removable or non-removable design. Depending on this, the functionality of the models differs. But all trimmers are divided into three categories.
This type of tool works from a household network in 220V. The electric motor rotates the shaft and starts the cutting mechanism. To use the device, a power outlet and carrying device must be nearby. This partially hampers the maneuverability and scope of the tool, but allows you to work silently.
Still, such a device has no harmful emissions into the atmosphere. Such models are well suited for summer cottages and private firms with a small territory, where you can get by with one carrying coil.
- Make little noise and do not interfere with neighbors;
- There are powerful models;
- No harmful emissions;
- Handle height adjustment;
- The possibility of setting different knives.
- Inconvenience from a wire that can be accidentally cut;
- Limited area to carry length.
The principle of operation of this type is similar to electric, but the rotation here is provided by an internal combustion engine. To do this, an additional tank with fuel is attached to the rod, as a result of which the device receives a large mass.
With such a tool, you can freely move around the territory and even work where there are no buildings and electricity. There is no need to constantly remember the cord and be careful not to cut it. It is actively used for mowing grass on the sidelines, maintaining the beautiful condition of yards in high-rise areas and on the territory of large enterprises.
- Powerful models;
- Replacement of knives;
- No area restrictions;
- High performance;
- Robust construction;
- Wide area of commercial use.
- Additional fuel costs;
- More noise;
- Air emissions.
A less common type of garden tool is trimmers working with an electric motor, but on battery power. This allows you to cut the grass all the same silently, but not depend on the length of the carry.
Due to limited time use, such models are bought for caring for country houses where there is no electricity or for landscaping kindergartens and similar institutions.
- Setting up different cutting systems;
- No area restrictions;
- The energy reserve is enough for 30-45 minutes;
- Fast charge;
- Powerful models are available.
- Runtime is limited by battery capacity;
- Are more expensive than electrical.
Grass trimmer selection options
Understanding the key features of a garden tool, you can choose a model that is well suited to specific tasks and does not cause unexpected problems. Here are the main options for choosing grass trimmers.
The trimmer power rating is indicated in kW and affects performance. The higher this value, the faster the cutting element will rotate and the larger the area will be processed.
1. Garden tools can have a small indicator of 0.25 kW and reach 1.8 kW.
2. For utility services to care for the adjacent territory in the quarters and along the roads along the roadsides, where you have to work all day and mow large volumes of grass, it is advisable to purchase models 0.9-1.8 kW.
3. For giving and caring for a small lawn, an engine with parameters of 0.25-0.7 kW is enough.
The length of the knife and the possibility of maximum extension of the fishing line affect the width of the cut. The last parameter is limited by the dimensions of the protective casing. There are various models whose range can be from 200 to 420 mm.
1. For continuous lawns over a large area, trimmers with a cutting width of 300-420 mm are suitable.
2. 250-270 mm are enough for a summer cottage and care for the blocks of high-rise buildings.
The mass of the device affects the usability and operator fatigue. The weight of the tool varies from 1.5 to 9 kg. Of course, it’s logical to take models lighter for long-term employment, but often this involves remote work from the mains, which requires the most severe gasoline models.
Video: Small Grass Trimmer For Mowing
1. If you can connect to the mains, you should buy electrical devices weighing 3-5 kg.
2. For the cottage, an option of 2.5 kg is suitable.
3. If it is impossible to connect to the mains, you should buy gas trimmers with a weight of 7-9 kg.
Another performance indicator is the cutting speed of the cutting element in one minute.
1. In low-power versions, this parameter is not prescribed because there they are below 7000 per minute.
2. More professional models have an acceleration of 7,500-12,000 rpm.
3. For a summer house or a small business, 6000 rpm is enough.
4. For large volumes of work, 9000-12000 rpm is required.
Diameter of fishing line
This indicator varies from 1.4 to 3.3 mm and indicates the ability of the cutting element to cut through a certain thickness of the stem and branches of the bush.
1. 1.4-2 mm is enough for a country courtyard, which will allow you to remove grass and maintain a neat appearance of lawns.
2. Workers who monitor the condition of the curb, where dense grass often grows, need to purchase 2.4-2.7 mm.
3. To improve the neglected area, a strong fishing line of 3.0-3.3 mm is required, capable of dissecting the stiffened stems and bushes.
Trimmers work by rotating the cutting elements, which can be solid knives (metal, plastic) or soft fishing line (cord).
1. Thick knives are more suitable for a flat open landscape and dense grass with hard stems. The tool will create an even cut. This type is practical for lawn care along businesses and next to a private home.
2. The fishing line is necessary in case of work on hilly terrain and near fences. Beating against solid obstacles will not cause damage, and contact with the ground will not stop the process. But such trimmers do poorly with dense vegetation and get confused.
Type of fastening
To operate the device, it is hung on the operator’s case. For this, one or two belts are provided.
1. The use of a trimmer with a single belt is used to give or ennoble a small area of the company.
2. In the case of a large area, a satchel mount will be required to evenly distribute the load and reduce vibration.
The shape and number of handles, as well as the balancing of the device, are responsible for this.
1. The main and auxiliary handles are convenient for short use in a garden or a small company. To work all day, it is better to purchase models with a cross frame and two equivalent handles.
2. The position of the engine below the cutting part increases the load on the back and is suitable for mowing only for several hours. If the engine is installed at the top of the rod, this makes it easier to control the tool and is suitable for professional use.
Tank volume and battery capacity
In the case of autonomous fuel trimmers, tank capacity plays an important role. It happens from 0.3 to 1.5 liters. Manufacturers calculate its volume based on the capabilities of the engine to work continuously for a certain amount of time.
1. With a minimum tank, it will be possible to mow for 20 minutes, after which a stop for a break will be required to cool the motor and refuel.
2. It is possible to work with a maximum rate for more than an hour, which is convenient for commercial use in large areas.
For battery models, the battery is measured in amperes / hours. 1st unit A / h is enough for 15 minutes of work. Charging will require three times as much time.
1. For cosmetic care of a small lawn away from the outlet, 2 A / h is enough.
2. To care for the territory of a kindergarten or a small company, 3-4 A / h are required.
What grass trimmer to choose
1. To work on uneven terrain along the fence, you need a device with a fishing line of 2.7 mm thick. For productivity, a cutting width of 250 mm and a speed of 7500 per minute are sufficient. The device will be more convenient to control with two equivalent handles. If the size of the territory allows you to use an extension cord, then it is better to purchase a model with an electric motor.
2. In utilities, on the balance of which there is a large territory with paths and courtyards, as well as road services, you will need a trimmer working on gasoline with a tank of 1.5 liters, 12000 rpm, with a power of 0.9-1.6 kW, 300 mm wide and 3.0 mm thick fishing line.
3. For a large private area or enterprise with green areas, you must buy a garden tool with a 1 kW internal combustion engine, 10,000 rpm, an iron blade or fishing line 2.4 mm and a cut width of 420 mm.
4. In a small courtyard to the cottage, an electric model with a power of 0.25 kW, 6.500 rpm, a fishing line thickness of 1.4-2.0 mm, and a zone coverage of 250 mm across the cut width is sufficient. The mounting method is suitable for one belt with a lower engine.
5. To care for the territory of kindergartens, boarding schools and recreation centers, it is practical to buy battery versions that silently perform their functions over a vast territory. A model with a power of 0.7 kW, a battery capacity of 3 A / h, 7500 rpm and a fishing line of 2.0 mm is suitable.
How much does a grass trimmer cost
1. To work on the hilly terrain and along the fences, the model will cost 3200 – 7000 rubles.
2. Trimmers for 10,000-14,000 rubles are purchased in utilities.
3. To care for the green territory of companies, the tool will cost 15,000-20000 rubles.
4. To give the model start at 1200 rubles.
5. In kindergartens and recreation centers, a battery-powered device will cost 3,000–25,000 rubles.
Would you like to receive current ratings and selection tips? Subscribe to our Telegram.
Since time immemorial, the lawn has been considered an elite element of the site, a privilege of the highest class. However, he will look like a king only with proper care: regular watering, fertilizing and, of course, a weekly haircut. If you do not comply with the last condition on this list, then a beautiful clearing will quickly turn into dense wild growth. Fortunately, mowing grass has long ceased to be a dull duty, forcing the owner of the lawn to get the scythe out of the back room. It was replaced by another tool – a trimmer that works on the principle of the same braid, but mechanized and equipped with a motor. This compact and maneuverable machine can easily cut a small lawn, remove weeds near the wall of the house, cut grass between trees in the garden.
Grass trimmer gives the lawn a well-groomed appearance
Gas or electric trimmer: which is better?
The design of any trimmer provides for the presence of an engine – gasoline or electric. The gasoline-powered internal combustion engine provides complete freedom of movement for the trimmer. It does not connect to an electrical outlet, so you can mow grass anywhere on the site. Lawn mowers, for the most part, have significant power, so they are able to cut stems of hard weed grass, overgrown vines and shrubs. The best trimmer for harvesting hay for pet food is also a scythe with a gasoline engine.
The disadvantages of a gas trimmer include the high cost, the need for regular refueling with gasoline and oil, considerable noise during operation, and the emission of exhaust gases.
Gas trimmer – a standalone tool for large volumes of work
The electric trimmer is devoid of all the disadvantages of lawn mowing. This is a small, compact tool that practically does not make noise during work and does not need to be refueled. However, in some respects it is still inferior to the gas trimmer. First of all, this is low power, which does not allow to cut thick branches of trees.
[include title = "YAN – in the text"]
This parameter of electric trimmers is in the range of 200-1400 watts. Naturally, a 200-watt tool is only suitable for mowing the delicate grass of the lawn. For weed, you need to choose something more powerful. If you are not faced with the task of trimming thick stems, then the best choice is a trimmer with a power of 1000 watts, which can cope with grass and dense thickets of weeds.
Scope of application of a braid limits a cable
Do not forget that the electric trimmer is equipped with a cable that connects to the mains. If it happens that the grass mowing site will be at a great distance from the outlet, then the cable will have to be extended with various electric carriers, which is not very convenient. So it is rational to use a conventional electric trimmer with cable only in the courtyard of the house.
Thinking over the question of how to choose a trimmer with an electric motor, you should know that there is a tool with a lower and upper arrangement of the motor. Despite the fact that the lower position of the engine reduces the cost of the trimmer and increases its maneuverability, with this design there is a risk of water entering the engine, for example, when working on a wet lawn. More optimal is the choice of a tool with an overhead motor that is not afraid of working under any conditions.
Lightweight top engine trimmer
Mowing grass in the area without access to outlets is also possible with an electric trimmer. However, for this, a tool battery must be provided in the tool design, which will allow the low-power engine to work for 20-30 minutes. These trimmers are not used as a regular means of mowing grass on lawns or lawns. They may be needed in extreme cases, for example, in order to trim the edges of the lawn after the lawn mower.
How to choose a cutting tool?
The main function of the trimmer is to mow the grass, so special attention should be paid to the structural part that performs this function. In most electric trimmers, this duty is assigned to a sharp fishing line wound on a reel. During operation, the plastic fishing line rotates at high speed and easily cuts grass and plant stems. As the line is thinning, it needs to be replaced.
[include title = "YAN – in the text"]
In most modern models, this happens in semi-automatic or automatic mode. In the first case, it is enough to press the trimmer head to the ground and the reel unwinds the required amount of fishing line. In automatic mode, everything is even simpler – a new "portion" of fishing line is added each time the engine is turned on.
Reel with fishing line in electric trimmer design – the optimal cutting tool for grass
In powerful gasoline tools, the cutting part is often installed in the form of circular knives that can work for a long time without replacement. At the same time, plastic knives can cut only grass and dry stems, while metal knives can easily cope even with tree branches and shrubs.
Gasoline trimmer with a metal knife will cut any branches
Ergonomics – Bet on convenience
Work with any tool should not turn into hard work, all the details must be carefully thought out for your convenience. To begin with, you should pay attention to the trimmer handle – it can be made in the form of letters D or T. Holding on to the D-shaped handle, it is convenient to mow grass in small areas where good maneuverability is required.
Electric trimmer with a D-shaped handle – a manoeuvrable tool for a small lawn
For large volumes of work, a T-shaped handle is more suitable, in which the movements of the trimmer will be similar to those that are performed when working with an ordinary scythe.
T-handle trimmer easily mow large areas
Vibration absorption is another design feature that is designed to minimize the degree of vibration of those parts of the trimmer that the user is in contact with.
To increase ergonomics, many manufacturers equip a grass trimmer with a telescopic bar, the length of which can be changed, depending on the height of the operator.
Useful tips from a knowledgeable person – VIDEO
Now that you know the basic rules for choosing a trimmer, it’s time to see it in action! Below is a video in which the operator consultant will give some more important tips on choosing this useful garden tool.