Starter For Gas Cutters: Device And Installation Features
A manual starter for a gas trimmer or gas trimmer is a mechanical assembly that includes a pulley mounted on a ratchet. A rope is wound on the pulley in the initial position. At start, it is pulled out. The pulley is spring-loaded. if you let go of the end of the rope, it will wind back. A flat ribbon rolled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles a spring in a large mechanical watch that starts once a day. The starter itself is located more often on the back than closer to the front end of the mower or trimmer. In order to correctly perform all manipulations with the starter for the brushcutter, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How is the starter or trimmer starter arranged?
Starter. the mechanism as a whole is single and universal for gas trimmers, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It’s not a problem to equip them even with a car, motorcycle or scooter if your vehicle has free space for installation. Not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with starter tools, which vaguely resemble a double-bent mount.
The modern "handbrake" starts up from the cord. it is tied to the mechanism, and it is impossible to lose.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
- hook spring;
- cord wound around a reel;
- return spring;
- drive ratchet and main spring;
- ratchet mechanism housing;
- locking bolt.
Worst case breakdown
There are times when the starter is still operational, but, for example, a worn cord may break. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when the engine starts, and the rest of the cord is immediately wound on a reel, the return spring loses hooks, the grooves in the starter housing break. The result is the replacement of both the springs and the housing.
Video: Starter For Gas Cutters: Device And Installation Features
If the model of a brushcutter or trimmer has long been discontinued, it will be difficult to find exactly the same parts, and the starter changes completely.
How to replace or replace the starter spring?
If everything was okay with the rope on the starter, suspicion falls on the coil itself. It is driven by a tape spring rolled up into a roll. To change the spring, certain steps should be taken.
- Remove the starter from the brushcutter.
- Remove the starter coil.
- Unscrew the main bolt holding the pulley on the housing.
- Pull out the gripping antennae and spring, the band spring is almost completely straightened or folded with larger diameter rings.
- Hold it in advance.
- Check if the spring is intact (there may be rusty stains, breaks, etc.). If the hooks at its ends are broken, it will not be possible to bend new ones. high-carbon steel breaks when trying to bend it. Weakened hooks are suitable for easy bending.
- Make sure that the auxiliary spring with washers is in place. These parts protect the coil frame from being pierced by the ends of the main spring. If the washers and the spring break, but there are no new ones, do not tighten the coil bolt tightly, but watch for it. it may loosen and get lost.
- If the main (flat) spring is damaged, insert the same new one. Put the hooking hook at the end of the spring in its place and bend it, inserting coil by coil into the space where it should be.
Spring rewinding takes one minute. Dexterity in this action is fast.
To replace or replace the starter spring, see the next video.
How tight is the spring charging?
It is possible to give the spring the necessary potential force necessary for a clear and quick winding of the cord by determining the length of the cord in turns. To prevent the handle of the cord from hanging down, add another 1-2 to the number of turns. So, if the cord has a length of 5 turns of the coil, then when charging the spring, scroll the coil 6-7 full turns.