Stihl 180 chainsaw how to start
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the air damper opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher revs because the throttle valve is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle mode, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start a Stihl 180. The video reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long period of inactivity.
The fact is that a successful start after downtime must be taken care of in advance and the saw should be properly prepared for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a Stihl chainsaw on which a decompression valve is installed, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the Stihl 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will be set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
A saw with a decompression valve, whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to relieve the cranking force of the engine. This will significantly increase the service life of the starter and reduce the number of torn laces, since it is installed on chainsaws with a large cylinder volume and, accordingly, compression.
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
Tech Chat with Chad. How to start your STIHL chain saw. Season 1 EP 1
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how it helps to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumped fuel into the carburetor.
Getting the Stihl MS180 chainsaw up and running
The pump installed in the fuel line allows in manual mode, without unnecessary movements with the starter, to pump gasoline into the carburetor. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
Many owners of gasoline-powered tools mistakenly believe that a hand pump can overly pump fuel into the carburetor and, for this reason, will flood the candle. This is fundamentally wrong, since the system is capable of circulating around. Excess gasoline from the carburetor will be directed, through a dedicated hose, back to the tank.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed that allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may differ slightly.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
- We start Stihl 180
- We start Stihl MS 180 C
- We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
- What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how it helps to start the saw more efficiently?
- How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
- How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poorly started chainsaw.
1.We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting can be done in different ways. Let’s take a look at the two most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. For example, take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything according to your mind, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during start-up. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the choke in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
Now we will analyze the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
2 why the chainsaw won’t start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: there is no spark; no fuel is supplied; the air filter is clogged. So, below we offer a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
Procedure if your chainsaw does not start
The next steps necessary to start the chainsaw, perform in the order indicated, starting to do the action under the next number only if the previous one did not help.
- For starters, try just leaving the chainsaw alone for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps during the start-up, a candle flooded in her. it happens. Then try starting again according to the instructions.
- Remove the housing cover on the chainsaw, remove the air filter and try to start without it. If the filter is dirty, wash it in soapy water and dry it or replace it with a new one.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the chainsaw. Check for a spark. If there is no spark, then try putting in a new candle. If the spark still does not appear, then this means that the ignition unit is damaged and the saw needs to be carried for repair. True, visual observation of a spark does not mean that the ignition unit is in good working order. If there is a spark, but the chainsaw did not work, do the following steps on the list.
- If there is a spark, but the plug is wet, then turn the chainsaw over to drain excess gas from the cylinder if it has accumulated there. Pull the starter 10-15 times without a spark plug to ventilate the combustion chamber. Ignite the candle and screw it back, or better, change it to a new one, if available. Try to start again according to the instructions.
- If the candle is dry, then draw one or two cubes of gasoline mixture into the syringe and pour it into the cylinder. Try to start the chainsaw. perhaps a small speck has got into the carburetor, which prevents the fuel from entering the combustion chamber. It is quite possible that this speck will be pulled out by the stream formed after starting the chainsaw by adding fuel directly to the cylinder.
- Unscrew the muffler and remove it, taking care not to spoil the gasket between the muffler and the engine. Try to start without muffler and air filter. With the muffler removed from the chainsaw, you can inspect the piston from the inside. If there are burrs or scuffs on the walls of the cylinder or piston, or the ring on the piston is jammed with burrs, then you will have to be very upset, as this means that the piston is damaged or worn out. This usually happens when oil is not added to the fuel mixture. In case of such a malfunction, you will have to contact the service, and perhaps think about buying a new chainsaw, since replacing a piston is a rather expensive operation.
Thus, we have sorted out in this article how to start the chainsaw “according to the instructions”, as well as what to do if the chainsaw will not start. We hope you find these tips helpful.
Features of the Chinese chainsaw “Stihl”
Branded chainsaws of the Stihl brand are produced not only in Germany, but also in China, and, more specifically, in the city of Qingdao. Stihl values its reputation, so the quality characteristics of Chinese-made saws are at a high level. The enterprises carry out strict control of compliance with the technology at each stage of production, and this serves as a guarantee of the identity of the assembly of products in Germany and China.
However, Chinese manufacturers use materials of inferior quality, which to a certain extent affects the durability of the tool and limits its scope. Deficiencies in the appearance of parts made of Chinese plastic are clearly visible upon visual inspection.
If the chainsaw is supposed to be used from time to time, without exceeding the loads, then the existing differences will not prevent the effective use of this cutting product. Nevertheless, it is always useful to know complete and accurate information about the purchased instrument.
When buying, you need to pay attention to the following signs of Chinese production:
- The serial number on the tool will start with 8. The numbers 1, 2 or 5 indicate the countries of origin: Germany, the USA and Brazil.
- The cost of the tool will be lower while maintaining the same warranty period.
- The range of Chinese products includes products that are no longer manufactured in Germany.
- Individual parts, such as the air filter housing, are made of cheap, easily deformable plastic.
- Saw headset crashes.
- Rapid loss of elasticity of the starter spring.
- Rapid formation of seizure marks in the cylinder.
- Regularly falling power.
- Failure of the guide bar and chain before the specified service life.
Stihl MS 180 Review and starting technique
Nevertheless, the purchase of a Stihl chainsaw in the Chinese version can be justified if the purpose of using the tool meets its capabilities. But the buyer must be aware of the origin of the product in order to use the tool consciously and correctly calculate the loads. In this case, the chainsaw is guaranteed a long service life to the complete satisfaction of the owner.
You can buy the original Stihl chainsaw here
The table can help with deciding which chainsaw is most suitable for solving the tasks.
|Stihl ms lineup||Power, hp||Vibration level, m / s2||Oil tank volume, cm3||Fuel tank volume, cm3|
You can buy the original Stihl chainsaw here
Place of purchase
OE brand STIHL chainsaws are sold only from authorized dealers who provide service and consulting support.
You can buy the original Stihl chainsaw here
As usual, the Stihl saw is not run-in. But it is important for operators to know the following points:
- During the first 4-8 fuel tanks completely used up, use the saw in a gentle mode with its regular stop for cooling.
- The first hour of operation must be divided into periods: 2 minutes of work, 10 seconds of rest. Idling for more than 10 seconds adversely affects the safety of the combustion plugs.
- It is important to use a well-prepared mixture.
The important question is which gasoline is better to use. According to the instructions, it is recommended to use fuel with an octane rating of at least 90. Based on the practice of using domestic fuel, it is better to use gasoline with an octane rating higher than 92.
You can buy the original Stihl chainsaw here
The most popular model is Stihl ms 180 with technical characteristics:
- Power. 1.5 kW.
- Torque at 5500 rpm. 1.5.
- Weight. 3.9 kg.
- Maximum speed. 9 thousand rpm.
- Idling speed. 2.8 thousand rpm.
Can be equipped with 35 cm (50 links) and 40 cm (55 links) tires.
Stihl MS 180 C-BE supplemented with ErgoStart easy start system and quick chain tensioning.
Stihl ms 440
- Carburetor warm-up function, allowing the use of the tool in subzero temperatures.
- Carburetor operation is regulated by a compensator.
- Safe circuit configuration capability.
- Convenient access to the fuel tank.
- Equipped with an automatic system for stopping the operation of the chainsaw.
- Inability to control fuel consumption in different operating modes.
- Lack of air and HD2 filters.
- Loud work.
- Precise oil supply is not provided.
Can be used in thin forests for cutting medium-sized trees. Differs in high performance.
Proportions of oil and gasoline
It is not allowed to operate the chain saw only on gasoline. A mixture is required where the proportions of oil and gasoline for the chainsaw are 1:50 (1 part oil plus 50 parts gasoline).
You can use only gasoline with m ethanol not more than 10%, that is, with a minimum octane rating of 90 ROZ.
When self-mixing, use Stihl 2-stroke chainsaw engine oil or other high performance oil.
Mixing order: first, oil is poured into the canister, then gasoline is added. The mixture is thoroughly mixed. The fuel mixture is not allowed to be poured into the chainsaw after 30 days. At the same time, performance deteriorates when exposed to high and low temperatures, as well as direct sunlight.