Stihl 180 Does Not Develop Power
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180; the benchmark for quality and reliability of the last decade
Advantages, disadvantages, price, technical characteristics, analogues, adjustment, instructions, detailing and reviews of the owners of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
Practical recommendations for elimination of typical fuel system malfunctions
- If a cold engine does not start, you must first make sure that the spark plug and the ignition system as a whole are working. The power unit starts up and stalls after several attempts. Perhaps the presence of water in the carburetor float chamber, contamination of the gas line, or vacuum in the gas tank due to a malfunction of the drain valve.
- Difficulty starting and unstable rpm in operating modes can be caused by poor quality or prolonged storage of the fuel used. If the engine does not idle, there is every reason to check the cleanliness of the jets.
- Using the proprietary kit, the owner of the Stihl MC 180 saw can repair the carburetor at home. The product is disassembled in a certain sequence, before assembling the carburetor, it is necessary to make sure that the float is tight and both jets are clean.
Over the past decade and a half, the design of the chainsaw has not become obsolete, moreover, it meets the basic requirements of the current regulatory standards.
The indisputable advantages of the Stihl MC 180 Model:
- Affordable price for a wide range of consumers;
- Optimal indicator of specific gravity;
- Ergonomic body configuration, shape and location of handles, providing a reliable grip of the tool when performing labor-intensive and complex sawing work;
- Operation, low-cost in terms of fuel consumption and the cost of the repair range;
- Stability of the working parameters of the tool throughout the entire service life;
- High maintainability and interchangeability of unified spare parts and consumables with models from previous years.
Faults and deficiencies
For the entire period of production of the 180th model chainsaw, no significant design errors and operational deficiencies were identified in the tool design. There are many complaints against service providers who are practicing replacing worn-out branded parts and assemblies with expensive but short-lived Chinese counterparts.
The Stihl MC 180 model has the optimum overall dimensions and weight parameters. The compact and easy-to-use chainsaw weighing 3.8 kg stands out from the general range for its excellent body design, reliable grip, comfortable vibration and operating noise levels.
The tool is equipped with a standard, economical and easy-to-maintain 2-stroke carburetor ICE. With a working volume of 31.8 cm3, the unit operating in operating mode develops power up to 2 hp. The engine runs on a standard fuel mixture, a 50: 1 oil to gasoline ratio.
The manufacturer guarantees the stability of operating parameters provided that high-quality high-octane gasoline and branded semi-synthetic motor oil are used. In the absence of the necessary consumables, it is allowed to use analogues of other brands that are identical in characteristics.
The advantages of the carburetor drive:
- Economical fuel consumption in operating modes;
- Reliable start-up independent of temperature factors;
- Stability of idle, as well as working speed under load;
- High torque coefficient;
- Easy service access to carburetor set points and air intake filter.
The use of high-quality materials, innovative metalworking and assembly technologies contributes to a significant extension of the overhaul and operational life of the Stihl МС 180 chainsaw.
|Model||Stihl MS 180|
|Homeland of the brand||Germany|
|Power, h.P. (kw)||2.0 (1.5)|
|Engine volume, cm3||31.8|
|Chain pitch, inches||3/8|
|Chain thickness, mm||1.3|
|Fuel tank volume, l||0.25|
|Oil tank volume, l||0.15|
|Tire length, cm (inches)||35 (14)|
Taking into account the wishes of users, on the basis of the basic model, two technically advanced versions were developed. The MS 180 C-BE chainsaw features the STIHL ErgoStart easy start system, a chain tensioner located in the carburetor of the fuel compensator.
The characteristics of the multi-channel mixture formation of the engine and vibration damper have been significantly improved, the operator’s comfort has been increased due to the single-lever control scheme.
Another version of the Stihl MS 180 Picco takes advantage of the operational advantages of an automated lubrication system. This model only comes with 14 ” bars and 50-link saw chains.
Worthy competition for this model are household chainsaws of the same type in power and application from leading European and Asian manufacturers. On the Russian market there are models identical in basic parameters. Husqvarna 236 X-TORQ, Oleo-Mac GS 35C-14, Hyundai X 380 and MTD GCS 3800/35.
What if the chainsaw does not idle?
Idling problems are considered constant companions of chainsaws. There may be several prerequisites that could lead to glitches at the time of starting and spinning of the circuit during idle operation, the main ones are:
- Clogging of the air and gasoline filter;
- Poor quality fuel mixture or improper preparation;
- Malfunctions of the ignition module;
- Carburetor, the settings of which no longer correspond to the load on the saw;
- The propulsion elements are deformed or rusted.
A number of actions are sequentially performed:
- Flush the fuel hose or replace it with a new one,
- Clean the air filter that could be clogged with sawdust and dirt particles. Modern air filters are reusable, they can be washed with the addition of detergent, completely removing them from the saw body;
- Check gasoline and engine oil, which may be of poor quality or simply not suitable for working with this saw;
- Test candles and carburetor.
Eliminating one or more possible faults will usually restore the saw to its original strength.
The chainsaw is not gaining momentum: an overview of the reasons and DIY repair
Malfunctions occur both with expensive German or American modifications of chainsaws, and with their cheap Chinese fakes. It’s nice when the moment of starting the motor tool goes smoothly: the saw warms up and gradually reaches the rated power declared by the manufacturer, which is issued throughout the entire working cycle. Things are worse if everything happens the other way around: after pulling the throttle cable, the unit starts to slip, it works in jerks after short pauses, stalls and starts up again from the pusher.
There can be many reasons for this phenomenon, as well as scenarios for the development of events. Let’s consider in detail each working situation and breakdowns that preceded them.
The chainsaw does not develop speed: we test the device for malfunctions
The ignition module can be diagnosed for problems visually. For this you need:
- Turn out the candle;
- Evaluate its appearance (it should not be drenched in gasoline or contain a black coating);
- Check the distance between the coil and the magnets (up to 0.2 mm);
- If necessary, examine the spark plug unit for spark supply using the working mains wire.
If, after checking, no defects were found, it is worth moving on to checking the carburetor block.
This work unit is one of the most vulnerable in modern chainsaws. New tools, which are shipped from the factory, have basic settings. For low and high speeds, which must be reset after running-in and running-in of all parts. Similar actions are performed if the saw does not develop traction corresponding to the maximum torque according to the instructions.
In this case, you need to reconfigure one of them. The “H” jack, which is responsible for the operation of the saw under load. To do this, it is enough to adjust the fuel supply with the engine running at the highest chain speed, using a tachometer and operating instructions.
Why isn’t the chainsaw picking up speed?
Launching is a complex multi-level process that involves almost all of the saw’s life support systems. That is why the fact that the saw loses speed, turns on intermittently and feels confident exclusively at idle should be considered from different angles.
Such factors could lead to this:
- A faulty motor. Its service life could be exhausted, and the piston rings and cylinder could wear out, deform or even corrode;
- A failed spark plug or the coil itself. As a result of this, a spark is not generated, which is necessary to ignite the air-fuel mixture;
- Unbalance of the carburetor screws, as well as a number of reasons that could disable it.
Other chainsaw malfunctions
A lot of users are faced with a nuisance when the chainsaw does not slow down. The device reaches its maximum power in a matter of seconds, which cannot be reduced.
This may be due to the fact that:
- The throttle valve does not function. Its spring or thrust element has weakened;
- The toggle switch does not switch well;
- The throttle shaft has lost its spin.
But the opposite can be the case. When the saw is gaining power uncontrollably. The reasons why the chainsaw itself is gaining momentum should be sought in:
- Carburetor. It needs to be cleaned or readjusted;
- Fuel supply system. Gas filter, fuel hose;
- Malfunctions of the cylinder-piston or pipes connecting them to the carburetor.
There are a lot of breakdowns that manifest themselves through revolutions atypical for a particular part of the working cycle. But careful attention to the tool will help diagnose them in time and return it to normal operation.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
- For many owners, a question regarding correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the jet, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. Over, this principle is maintained regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
Why the chainsaw won’t slow down
There may be several reasons why the chainsaw does not slow down:
- Broken throttle spring;
- Jamming the gas trigger;
- The throttle rod is bent;
- Lost throttle shaft corkscrew causing it to wedge.
It is not difficult to solve all these problems, you need to conduct a careful inspection and determine the exact cause, and then change the faulty part. As a rule, if the chainsaw picks up speed well, idles and has normal power, then the problem with the fact that it does not slow down is purely mechanical. And finding and eliminating a mechanical malfunction is much easier than identifying and stopping air leakage in the crankcase of a chainsaw.
How to check the muffler
To check the muffler, it must be removed from the chainsaw. To do this, using an 8 mm head, two fastening nuts are unscrewed and the part is removed.
Important: after the muffler is removed, it is necessary to check the integrity of the gaskets between it and the cylinder, since very often they stick and break when the muffler is removed.
You can clean the part mechanically, using screwdrivers or a knitting needle, and then blow it thoroughly with compressed air. The muffler seat can be cleaned with emery paper to remove burnt-on gasket parts.
Install the muffler in reverse order.
Important: when tightening the nuts of the muffler, do not over-pull the nuts, since the threads on the screws can be torn off.
The second reason why the engine of a Stihl chainsaw can reduce power and not develop rpm is a blockage in the fuel system. Typically, the first place to start looking for a blockage is the fuel filter.
Why the chainsaw does not develop momentum
There may be several reasons for the lack of traction and poor set of revolutions with the chainsaw. Therefore, you should not immediately begin to disassemble and repair the carburetor, since the reason may not be hidden in it.
On the Stihl ms 180 chainsaw, a reliable carburetor is installed, on which the manufacturer limited the ability to adjust the power and maximum engine speed, therefore, when the traction falls off the chainsaw, the carburetor is the last place to look for problems.
The reasons why the Stihl 180 does not develop momentum
The Stihl 180 chainsaw does not develop revs or after you release the gas trigger, it continues to work without dropping the revs. These problems are common enough. Let’s try to understand the reasons, the consequence of which is the occurrence of such malfunctions. Also in this article we will consider how to diagnose if the chainsaw does not pull.
What is the first, you ask? The answer is a muffler. The muffler is responsible for exhausting the exhaust gases and extinguishing the flame in them. All combustion products pass through it, which over time can clog it. The situation with a muffler clogged with soot is far from uncommon, but it arises from the wrong fuel mixture.
With a normal ratio of gasoline to oil, the combustion products are not saturated with soot enough to clog the muffler. In the event that the amount of oil is more than the norm, excessive carbon deposits are formed during its combustion. Further, carbon deposits accumulate under the piston rings and in the muffler of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. Thus, a coked muffler is the most harmless thing that can happen, the maximum damage from excessive carbon is the need to replace the piston.
Checking the fuel filter
The fuel filter is installed in the tank of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, and it is not very convenient to pull it out. To facilitate the process, you can take a small piece of aluminum wire and bend it at the end, then use it to hook the fuel hose and remove it, along with the filter, from the tank. To check the filter, it is necessary to blow into it, if air does not pass, then the reason has been found, and the filter must be replaced.
If the filter is clean, check the fuel hose for clogging. To check, it is necessary to disconnect it from the carburetor and blow into it with the air filter removed. If a blockage is found, the hose can be cleaned mechanically using a wire, and then blown out with compressed air.