Stihl 180 Fills A Candle And Won’T Start
The Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: the main reasons The Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: what can cause problems in the operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, how can they be eliminated.
- For many owners, a question regarding correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 liters, the fuel tank is 0.25 liters.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not without its drawbacks. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank is joined loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation on this matter: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution: take out the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need check petrol supply, air filter, and then make sure the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have dense and stable stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term use of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels with a plug, or the reason should be sought in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
Defective crankshaft bearings
With a defect in the crankshaft bearings, a slight backlash is observed on it. You can check for backlash by shaking the flywheel of the Stihl 180 chainsaw from side to side. If there is a backlash, then, under the action of its magnets, the flywheel is attracted to the contacts of the ignition coil, since the backlash on the bearings allows it to do this and as a result the spark disappears.
Defective spark plug
The first thing to do is to check the performance of the candle.
This is pretty easy to do. The candle is inserted into the cap of the high-voltage wire and pressed against the engine cylinder, after which the starter moves several times, if there is no spark between the spark plug electrodes, then it is faulty or the ignition module is faulty.
In order to find out for sure that the problem is in the spark plug, you need to check the known good one in the same way. If, as a result of the check, a spark appears, then the problem has been found and to eliminate the malfunction we replace the spark plug with a new one.
There is no spark on the Stihl 180 chainsaw
The main malfunction due to which the stihl ms 180 chainsaw does not start may be the absence of a spark between the electrodes on the spark plug. Symptoms of this malfunction can be detected by unscrewing the plug and inspecting. Having discovered during inspection that the spark plug is wet, it is necessary to start looking for the reason for the absence of a spark on the spark plug.
Replacing the crankshaft bearings
It is better to replace the crankshaft bearings in a specialized service, because when replacing, you will need to completely disassemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw and remove all its main components.
Without some experience or at least the skills of repairing similar chainsaws, it will not work to replace the crankshaft bearings efficiently.
So, we figured out the absence of a spark, but what to do if there is a spark, and there is no answer to the question of why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hidden in the fuel system.
There is no clearance between the flywheel and the ignition module
In some cases, the absence of a spark on the spark plug is due to an incorrect gap between the contacts of the ignition module or the flywheel. It may be larger, or it may not be at all, and then scratches will be observed on the surface of the flywheel as a result of contact with the contacts of the coil.
You can check and set the gap without having a special tool. To do this, you will need to remove the starter, loosen the two screws securing the coil and lay a plate cut from a plastic bottle between the flywheel contacts and the ignition module, tighten the module fastening screws.
If, after such adjustment of the gaps, a spark appears, everything is in order, you can continue to work with the Stihl 180 chainsaw, if not, you need to re-inspect and check whether the flywheel touches the coil contacts again. Suppose, as a result of the check, it was found that after adjusting the gap, it was gone again. So the reason is most likely in the crankshaft bearings.
Algorithm for checking for lack of fuel supply
- Unscrew the candle;
- Using a syringe, pour 1-2 cubes of the fuel mixture into the spark plug hole;
- Install the candle and put on the cap of the high-voltage wire;
- Set the engine control lever to the hot start position;
- Pull the starter several times.
If, after several movements with the starter, the Stihl 180 chainsaw started up and immediately stalled, then the suspicions in the lack of fuel supply were confirmed and you can proceed to further diagnostics of the fuel line.
Stihl-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw floods the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
Today the manufacturer Stihl occupies a leading position among other companies that produce equipment for agricultural and construction work. The products of this manufacturer are famous not only for their high level of quality, but also for the optimal pricing policy and power of its models. Probably, it is quite difficult to meet a person who does not have a chainsaw of this brand. This is one of the most famous world companies. But the fact that out of ten possible, six people definitely have them. This is not surprising, since Stihl chainsaws deliver power as well as graceful design. But unfortunately, such giants of technology sometimes fail and require some kind of repair. Let’s talk about the reasons why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start.
How to eliminate the reasons why the device does not start
Shtil chainsaw won’t start: reasons and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the 180 chainsaw of this manufacturer is one of his best creations, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, about which we will now talk.
- A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. The reason for this is that the oil used to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is merciless and simply breaks the tightness exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and the oil tank is actually connected. Naturally, this problem can be solved, but, given the design of this chainsaw, it will not be so easy to do this, since you simply have to completely disassemble the device in order, as they say, to get to the right place. It can be seen more clearly: https: //www.Youtube.com/watch? V = UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many are worried about this question: why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you first need to open, and then close the lid that is on the gas tank. Or get out and dry the candle. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases, this kind of manipulation is enough to make the device work. But there are times when the Stihl chainsaw does not start, but there is a spark.
- In the above case, you need to make a direct checking the gas supply, air filter and the direct performance of the candle. Since the basis of this kind of breakdown is the breather, namely its pollution. Because when it is completely clogged, a kind of vacuum arises in the gas tank itself, which simply interferes with the fuel supply process. This issue is not difficult to solve, since all you need to do is clean it using a needle.
- There are also situations when the device, in principle started up, but immediately died out.
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check if fuel is leaking from it.
- You must remember that in the process of using your chainsaw correctly gasoline should flow out in a dense and stable stream. Also, it is not uncommon for the Stihl 180 chainsaw to not start up hot and actually stall after switching on or holds power for a rather short time. In this case, the problem of breakdown lies precisely in the muffler, which can be simply clogged with any deposits that arise through the operation of the device , and which settle during the exhaust process.
- Also, a fairly common cause of tool malfunction is insufficient lubrication of the device chain itself. The reason for this may be the channels that are simply clogged, or the reason is in the oil line that is leaking.
- Connecting pipes or the connections themselves in the area of the oil pump fittings can also leak.
- It happens that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start well due to cylinder that can be broken. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is enough. But if even there you find the formation of irregularities and chips, then you can be sure that you have found the cause of the breakdown.
- If through verification you find that malfunction in the candle, then you simply need to turn it out, and then dry it directly. But it is worth noting that in no case should you pierce it, since you will simply spoil the part, and it will be unusable. You also need to drain excess fuel from it through a special hole.
Over, it may be that the expiration date of your candle has simply passed, in which case it is necessary to replace it. Therefore, it is a great advice that it is best to always have a new candle in stock or, best of all, a set. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand whether it was the direct cause of the device breakdown. Over, a weak contact can also be the cause of a breakdown, which actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. Also, the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition unit. It is worth noting the fact that in order to eliminate this kind of problem, it is necessary to replace the unit itself, since it cannot be repaired.
- Equally important is the concern of the owners of this model regarding systematic idling after the actual gasoline first tanks are empty. But if experts in this field are to be believed, they argue that this kind of situation does not pose any problem. But still, if this kind of process is repeated quite often, then you need to simply reduce the engine speed by using the carburetor screw.
- In addition, you can personally produce cleaning the muffler itself, since the cause of the malfunction may be in it. This manipulation is not difficult. A fairly common phenomenon of poor-quality tool operation is the carburetor.
Briefly about the main
This model is the pride of the German manufacturer and is a direct tool intended for minor level work. It can be used no more than twenty hours a month. This excellent device will easily help you cope with the care of your garden, prepare firewood for the winter period of time (see how to cut down a tree), make cleared areas, and will also be an indispensable assistant in other areas, let’s say, simple manipulations.
We can say that these are a mini-model of chainsaws, since it has a small weighing about 3.9 kg, it does not have a large mass of both oil and fuel tanks. The manufacturer has equipped this device with a two-stroke engine with ample power for light work.
Over, it is quite quiet since during operation the noise level does not exceed 98 dB. So to better understand the level of loudness itself, just compare its noise with spoken speech, which has an indicator of 76 dB.
The power of this model is equal to 2.6 W. It’s worth noting that this is a fairly significant level of strength, given that it is not a professional chainsaw. The oil tank has a volume of only 0.145 liters, and the fuel tank 0.25 liters. The tire has a dimension of 350 mm and a pitch of 0.325 inches.
It is important that if you even found the very cause of the instrument malfunction, this does not mean at all that you can eliminate it yourself. Since there are such breakdowns that can only be corrected by a specialist. If you have carried out direct manipulation regarding checking and changing the quality of the oil (see oil for the Stihl chainsaw), but, nevertheless, the chainsaw still refuses to start, in this case, you need to continue searching.
But if you fully performed all the manipulations prescribed above and did not miss a single nuance, but nevertheless the instrument has not yet been corrected, then in this case the problem lies in the group, which is called cylinder. But if you still could not bring your iron friend back to life, then simply take the chainsaw to a service center where your device will be repaired. Also, do not forget to take care of the engine to find out the ratio of gasoline and oil for chainsaws, read this article.
Stihl saw winding device
The basis of a plant of this kind of model, as well as all other chainsaws, is a carburetor. But since we are talking today about the Stihl 180 chainsaw, we will not deviate from the topic. So. The carburetor in this model has a single adjusting screw, that is, it is a kind of idle stroke adjustment screw. While the fully loaded jet is stationary.
In simple terms, we can say that it simply cannot be adjusted (see here), while the full load setting simply cannot be changed. It is important that the carburetor itself at the factory was configured in such a way that regardless of the actual conditions under which the chainsaw is operated directly, the air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine itself.