Stihl Chainsaw Carburetor Adjustment
Chainsaw Stihl MS 362
The professional model is used for logging work. She cuts down voluminous trunks, can thin out bushes and process branches.
The Stihl 362 chainsaw has the following characteristics:
- The volume of the cylinder is 59 cubic meters. Cm;
- Engine power is at the level of 4.6 liters;
- The gasoline tank has a volume of 0.6 liters;
- Oil tank. 0.32 l;
- Weight. 7 kg.
Stihl chainsaw oil
Stihl produces oils that are well suited for the tool.
The line of lubricants for saw motors consists of the following models:
- Stihl HP. has a low level of emission of harmful substances, made on a mineral basis;
- Stihl HP Ultra is a synthetic oil recommended for semi-professional and professional models;
- Stihl HP S. used for high performance motors.
You can choose any oil for the Stihl saw, but it is better to follow the recommendations in the instructions for the tool.
The saw chain also needs lubrication. For her, you can use oil of the following brands:
- Forestplus. mineral oil;
- Bioplus is an environmentally friendly product, it is made on a plant basis;
- Synthplus. a semi-synthetic product that can maintain its ability even in harsh conditions.
When mixing oil and gasoline for a Stihl chainsaw, observe the ratio of 1:50. For example, 20 ml of lubricant is added to 1 liter of fuel. During break-in, the amount of oil can be increased.
Stihl chainsaw device
All brand saws have a similar design, but are equipped with different motors. This allows them to be divided into productive and household tools. To get acquainted in detail with the specifics of the saw device, you need to study its instructions. It specifies the features of the components and spelled out the rules of work.
The saws consist of the following components:
- Guide tire;
- Saw chain;
- Oil pump;
- Air filter;
- Control and trigger levers;
- Oil and fuel mixture tanks;
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
Stihl recommends starting the saw strictly according to the instructions. This will prolong the life of the product and allow it to work properly.
- Open the case and take out the saw.
- Start the chain brake by pushing it away from you.
- Click on the decompression valve.
- Squeeze out the fuel pump.
- Move the lever to the cold start position.
- Place the tool on a flat, horizontal surface.
- Hold the saw by the handle with your left hand, pull out the starter rope with your right hand.
- When the engine stalls, immediately move the combination lever to the middle position.
- Pull the starter rope.
- Press the throttle immediately, open the throttle.
- Pull the lever towards you by releasing the brake.
You can start work on the site and wood processing.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 181
A lightweight, simple and high-quality saw effectively saws trunks, cuts branches, processes boards. With its help, you can cut stones and bricks, clean wood. The saw has automatic chain lubrication, quick start system and overrun brake.
- The volume of the cylinder is 32 cubic meters. Cm;
- Engine performance. 2 liters. FROM;
- Fuel tank size. 0.28 l;
- Fuel tank size. 0.18 l;
- Weight. 5.5 kg.
Stihl chainsaw range
The assortment is very large. Consumers can purchase original household saws. There are semi-professional and professional equipment.
- There are several things to consider when choosing saws.
- Manufacturer country. Original products are produced only at factories in Germany. There are fakes from China that are not as high quality.
- Housing. It should be in perfect condition, no flaws, scratches or irregularities in the painting.
- Be sure to check the leading sprocket. If it is placed in the wrong position, it may cause problems with the saw.
- Fasteners. They must all be straight and screwed in correctly.
- Quality. The device should run smoothly, stably, without knocking.
Almost all saws are equipped with attachments, which allows you to expand the scope of their application. They also come with instructions and a cover.
If the carburetor of the chainsaw is not adjusted and it is not possible to start the chainsaw, then the adjustment begins by setting the screws (L) and (H) to the standard setting. This is 1/5 turn of the screws until they are completely tightened. After that, you need to start the engine, let it run a little and warm up. The next step is to adjust the low speed mode. Optimum low engine performance can be achieved by adjusting the screw (L) and idle (T). To do this, first the screw (L) is tightened until the maximum engine speed is obtained, then it is released by 1/4, and the idle speed is normalized with the screw (T).
After adjusting the work on the "bottom", the thrust and maximum engine speed are adjusted. To do this, slowly tighten the screw (H) and check the speed according to the readings of the electronic tachometer.
An important step is to check the saw in all operating modes after adjusting it, for this you need to let the chainsaw cool down, and then start it according to the cold tool start algorithm. If the saw starts up normally and runs smoothly at idle speed, you need to check how it cuts. If in the process of checking deficiencies in the power of the chainsaw are found, then it is necessary to repeat the adjustment of the screw (H) by unscrewing it and checking the thrust in operation.
How to properly adjust the carburetor of a chainsaw
A chainsaw is a technically complex tool that needs to be serviced from time to time. Cleaning, replacing filters and, of course, adjusting the carburetor of the chainsaw will help to serve its entire life. In this article, we will consider the issue of tuning the carburetor. How and why it is carried out.
Adjusting the carburetor of a Chinese chainsaw
Carburettors installed on Chinese-made saws are made similarly to European ones and have the same adjustment screws.
The carburetor of a Chinese chainsaw is adjusted according to the algorithm presented above, and differs in that during the initial adjustment of the screws (L) and (H), they must be turned out two turns. Further, the carburetors of the Chinese saw are adjusted in the same way as the European ones.
How the carburetor is adjusted
The chainsaw setting algorithm is quite simple and consists of the following steps:
- Adjusting the engine for smooth operation at low rpm.
- Setting the carburetor for the correct supply of the fuel mixture at maximum speed.
- Fine adjustment of the carburetor for idling.
- Chainsaw check in all modes.
Now let’s look at how the correct adjustment of the chainsaw carburetor goes in more detail. Almost all carburetor models have three adjusting screws. The screw (T) is responsible for fine tuning in idle mode. Screw (H) setting for maximum speed. The screw (L) controls the mixture formation at low rpm. By tightening the screws (L) and (H), the fuel supply and the mixture becomes leaner, respectively, the speed increases.
Correct adjustment of the chainsaw carburetor should be carried out using a special tool. a tachometer. It allows you to most accurately determine the maximum number of engine revolutions and adjust them according to the manufacturer’s requirements. You need a small slotted screwdriver for adjustment. For some models of chainsaws, you will need a special adjusting key, without which work cannot be carried out.
The key for adjusting some models of carburetors is available only in service centers authorized for the repair of chainsaws by the manufacturer. This measure is aimed at reducing breakdowns due to incorrect settings by inexperienced users and those who are engaged in repairs without official permission to do so.
Situations in which adjustment is necessary
New chainsaws are supplied from the manufacturer with pre-adjusted carburetors. This is called standard adjustment. But for the normal running process, it is required to lower the maximum engine speed, adjust the carburetor. After running in, the chainsaw needs fine tuning to achieve maximum engine efficiency.
Also, a signal for cleaning and adjustment is an increased fuel consumption, which negatively affects the operation of the exhaust system. Simply put, the chainsaw begins to smoke heavily and the muffler becomes clogged with carbon deposits, which in turn will lead to a decrease in power. With a lack of fuel in the mixture, engine parts are poorly lubricated, and premature wear occurs. Also, a poor-quality mixture can cause the engine to jam due to overheating (this is one of the reasons why the chainsaw will not start).
Adjustment is necessary when the engine does not idle, stalls or does not develop full power.
What is the difference between the Stihl MS 660 carburetor and the Stihl MS 650
Stihl MS 660 and MS 650 belong to the same class of powerful professional chainsaws, close in technical characteristics and design. The Stihl MS 660 has a combustion chamber volume of 91.6 cc and an output of 7.1 hp.
Stihl MS 650. 84.9cc and 6.7bhp They have externally almost identical carburetors, which are regulated according to the same algorithm.
The original German carburetor on the Stihl MS 660 chainsaw does not apply to consumables that must be replaced after a certain service life. The service life of which it is capable may exceed the resource of the chainsaw as a whole.
Chainsaw carburetor adjustment ensures efficient operation of the tool at full power with economical fuel consumption. Adjustments must be carried out with a clean fuel and air filter. For a larger number of carburetors, the adjustment is carried out with 3 screws: for high and low speed and idle speed adjustment.
Screws H and L adjust the ratio of the mixture of gasoline and air, determined by opening the throttle valve of the carburetor. On Stihl chainsaws ms adjusting the carburetor instructions for the Stihl chainsaw ms 660. When the screws are unscrewed, the mixture is enriched, and the speed falls accordingly, when tightened, the mixture becomes leaner. the speed increases.
Designation H refers to the maximum speed screw that controls the main jet, L refers to the minimum speed screw that controls the idle jet. The S screw is used to fine-tune the idle speed. The article discusses in detail the adjustment of the carburetor of a chainsaw with three adjusting screws, as well as adjusting the carburetor of a Stihl 180 chainsaw with one screw. Sometimes, for ease of adjustment, the number of available carburetor adjusting screws is reduced.
Chainsaw carburetor tuning is divided into two stages. the basic (factory settings), carried out with the engine off, and the final, made with the warm engine running. The exact value of the angles of rotation should be taken from the operating instructions for the particular chainsaw. Failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions may result in engine damage.
Stihl chainsaw carburetor setting ms 660
Stihl does not use ready-made components from third parties to assemble their chainsaws. Therefore, the original Stihl MS 660 chainsaws are equipped with carburetors manufactured by this company. Chinese chainsaws can have carburetors manufactured by Walbro, Rezer, Kimoto, Cingcong, as well as other unknown manufacturers.
- What carburetor is installed on the Stihl MS 660 chainsaw
- The device and principle of operation of the Stihl MS 660 chainsaw carburetor
- Do-it-yourself Stihl MS 660 chainsaw carburetor adjustment
- What is needed to adjust
- Standard or basic adjustment
- Current setting
- Idle speed adjustment
- Features and differences of carburetor adjustment on a Chinese chainsaw
- What is the difference between the Stihl MS 660 carburetor and the Stihl MS 650
- Similar posts
- How to Adjust the Chainsaw Carburetor. Chainsaw Maintenance. Dismantling the carburetor chainsaw Chinese Stihl 660 does not adjust the carburetor on. Part 11
- Chinese Stihl IGNITION and Carburetor Tuning.
- Similar posts
- Symptoms of malfunctions and breakdowns in which carburetor adjustment is required.
- Purpose, design and principle of operation of the carburetor.
- Husqvarna Saw Carburetor Adjustment.
- Chainsaws Partner and Stihl, their adjustments.
- Tuning the carburetor of a Chinese chainsaw
Idle speed adjustment
Carried out with LA screw.
Adjustment is required if the engine stalls at idle. few revolutions, or the chain scrolls. many revolutions.
Reduce RPM by turning screw LA counterclockwise until chain stops, then back 1 / 5-1 / 4 turn.
Adjustment with screw LA is almost always required after adjusting screw L, which also changes the parameters of the engine at idle.
The screws LA and L regulate the idle speed in principle differently. L Changes the quality and quantity of fuel delivery through the calibrated holes. LA is called "booster" because it affects the throttle position when idling.
Experienced operators in the process of work may notice that the internal combustion engine of the chainsaw has begun to work worse. Sometimes it is enough to turn the screws H and L alternately in one direction or another by a small step of 1/5. 1/6 of a turn and immediately check the result of the carburetor adjustment in real work. This is one of the easy ways to get a good setup.
The material contains information on how to tune the chainsaw carburetor and check the tuning result.
Chainsaws Partner and Stihl, their adjustments.
In Stihl and Partner chainsaws, the proportion of air and gasoline in the mixture is set with adjusting screws H and L. When the screws are loosened, the mixture is enriched, the revolutions increase. Screwing in leads to a leaner mixture and, accordingly, a decrease in engine speed.
Setting the carburetor of the partner’s chainsaw to idle is carried out with the T screw (Stihl marks this adjustment with the letters LA). Basic tool setting is done in the factory during final testing. In most cases, the carburetor is adjusted to deliver a slightly richer air-fuel mixture than the optimal design. The factory-set settings must be saved during the first few hours of operation, during the running-in period. After that, a finer adjustment can be carried out, although this is not necessary, the saw will work normally on the basic settings.
For fine adjustment of the carburetor, a tachometer is required, in addition, technical documentation will be required in order to carry out work in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s requirements. The best solution would be to entrust the jewelry tuning of the fuel equipment to specialists.
If, nevertheless, it is decided to adjust independently, you should start with screw L, then go to the nozzle H, and then set the idle speed by rotating the screw T (or LA. if it is a Stihl saw).
By smoothly turning the screw L in both directions, a position is sought at which the idle speed will be maximum. After this point is found, it is required to unscrew the screw L by 1/4 turn. If the chain continues to move with the engine running at idle speed, the T (LA) screw is slowly unscrewed until the chain stops.
After setting the maximum speed with screw H, the value of their frequency is checked by the tachometer. If the speed at maximum does not correspond to the values indicated in the documentation, the adjustments are repeated. If the mixture turns out to be too rich at maximum speed, too much smoke comes out of the muffler, when the mixture is poor, the saw makes a squealing sound and the engine is too hot. The adjustment ends by setting the idle speed. the position is considered correct if the engine runs exactly at the minimum speed and the chain is at a standstill. The idle speed setting can be viewed in the following.
Symptoms of malfunctions and breakdowns in which carburetor adjustment is required.
The following signs and malfunctions indicate the need to adjust the carburetor:
- The engine starts up with an effort and stalls almost instantly;
- Gasoline consumption is too high, the exhaust is too thick, the combustible mixture in the cylinder does not completely burn out;
- The factory settings of the chainsaw carburetor are knocked down (due to vibrations or unsuccessful attempts to regulate);
- Malfunctions of the air cleaning system, which led to the ingress of debris particles into the mechanism for distributing the fuel mixture;
- Significant wear of the piston group. setting the carburetor in this case acts as a temporary measure.
It is clear that if dirt gets into the fuel system, one setting cannot solve the problem. you need to flush it. If the piston is worn out, a major overhaul is required. However, in all these cases, the carburetor is also adjusted.