Stihl Chainsaw Won’T Start Reasons
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
The Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: what can cause problems in the operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, how to fix them.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not without its drawbacks. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank is joined loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation in this regard: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. You need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need check petrol supply, air filter, and then make sure the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have dense and stable stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term use of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels with a plug, or the reason should be sought in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it suffices to say that human speech creates noise at the level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- The tire is designed to measure 350 mm with a pitch of 0.325 inches.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the jet, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. Over, this principle is maintained regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
- For many owners, a question regarding correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Mechanical seizure of the piston or crank mechanism
This malfunction occurs due to the sticking of the piston in the cylinder or the destruction of the crankshaft bearing. This happens when the engine overheats or if it runs for a long time on pure gasoline.
In the first case, it is recommended to cool the power unit, then pour a few drops of engine oil into the spark plug hole. In most cases, the engine can be wedged, but the consequence of this incident may be the appearance of scoring on the piston. The tack is not reflected on the chrome surface of the cylinder mirror.
If the measures taken did not give the proper result, the saw must be repaired in a specialized workshop.
Possible causes of a problem launch
In most cases, there is:
- Unqualified tuning of the fuel system;
- Malfunctioning ignition;
- Dirty air intake filters.
Most often, a chainsaw does not start on a cold one or does not start well after long storage, refueling with substandard fuel, and a large gap in the spark plug electrodes.
In the private sector, the peak of operational failures occurs after winter and in late autumn, after the completion of intensive work on logging and sawing fuel wood.
Checking the tightness of the connection between the carburetor and the body
When the threaded fasteners are loosened, air is sucked in, which leads to a depletion of the gasoline-air mixture and, accordingly, a deterioration in its performance.
To replace a damaged gasket, it is recommended to use a repair kit; if it is not available, a gasket can be made from a gasoline-oil-resistant material of the same thickness.
Flushing the carburetor and checking the condition of the jets
If, in the process of the work performed, a stable start is not established, we look for a malfunction in the carburetor. In the absence of proper experience, disassembly should be entrusted to an experienced specialist.
The reason for the difficult start may be, in addition to the previously mentioned air leak:
- Contamination of the jets;
- Water ingress into the float chamber and depressurization of the float itself;
- Loose fit of the float valve that stabilizes the fuel level in the carburetor;
- Refueling the fuel system with a fuel surrogate, or an expired mixture.
Serious malfunctions blocking the standard start, such as air leakage through worn out gland seals of the crankshaft shanks, a change in the ignition angle, due to the lack of appropriate tools and technological equipment, are eliminated in the conditions of repair shops.
Consequences of running on a rich and lean mixture
- Due to the operation of the engine on an over-enriched mixture, a layer of conductive carbon deposits forms on the insulator of the central electrode, which can cause interruptions in sparking.
- A white or gray color of the center electrode insulator indicates the characteristic high temperature combustion of the lean mixture. Both options negatively affect the traction performance and durability of the powertrain.
- Setting the carburetor to a lean mixture can cause the phenomenon when the chainsaw does not start hot, in another version it grabs, but does not start.
A confirmation of the normal, in a ratio of 16: 1, quality of the air-fuel mixture is the brown color of the insulator and the absence of carbon deposits.
Why the chainsaw is bad or does not start: reasons and solutions from the masters
Almost all power drives for chainsaw technology produced in recent years are equipped with easy start and electronic ignition systems, decompressors and booster pumps. When asked why the chainsaw does not start with such a rich equipment, service specialists do not give an unambiguous answer.
Depending on the class and purpose, carburetor power units of similar design are installed on household and professional models, running on high-octane motor gasoline with a small admixture of engine oil for two-stroke engines.
The working volume of chainsaw engines varies from 26 to 60 cm3, power ranges from 1 to 6-plus hp. A characteristic feature of chainsaw drives is maximum compactness, convenient service, and access to setting points. The standard resource of budget models is 1500 hours, branded. More than 2000.
Shtil chainsaw won’t start: reasons and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of his best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, about which we will now talk.
- A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. The reason for this is that the oil used to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is merciless and simply breaks the tightness exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and the oil tank is actually connected. Naturally, this problem can be solved, but, given the design of this chainsaw, it will not be so easy to do this, since you simply have to completely disassemble the device in order, as they say, to get to the right place. It can be seen more clearly: https: //www.Youtube.com/watch? V = UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many are worried about this question: why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you first need to open, and then close the lid that is on the gas tank. Or get out and dry the candle. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases, this kind of manipulation is enough to make the device work. But there are times when the Stihl chainsaw does not start, but there is a spark….
- In the above case, you need to make a direct checking the gas supply, air filter and the direct performance of the candle. Since the basis of this kind of breakdown is the breather, namely its pollution. Because when it is completely clogged, a kind of vacuum arises in the gas tank itself, which simply interferes with the fuel supply process. This issue is not difficult to solve, since all you need to do is clean it using a needle.
- There are also situations when the device, in principle started up, but immediately died out.
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check if fuel is leaking from it.
- Connecting pipes or the connections themselves in the area of the oil pump fittings can also leak.
- It happens that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start well due to cylinder that can be broken. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is enough. But if even there you find the formation of irregularities and chips, then you can be sure that you have found the cause of the breakdown.
- If through verification you find that malfunction in the candle, then you simply need to turn it out, and then dry it directly. But it is worth noting that in no case should you pierce it, since you will simply spoil the part, and it will be unusable. You also need to drain excess fuel from it through a special hole.
Over, it may be that the expiration date of your candle has simply passed, in which case it is necessary to replace it. Therefore, it is a great advice that it is best to always have a new candle in stock or, best of all, a set. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand whether it was the direct cause of the device breakdown. Over, a weak contact can also be the cause of a breakdown, which actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. Also, the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition unit. It is worth noting the fact that in order to eliminate this kind of problem, it is necessary to replace the unit itself, since it cannot be repaired.
Stihl saw winding device
The basis of a plant of this kind of model, as well as all other chainsaws, is a carburetor. But since we are talking today about the Stihl 180 chainsaw, we will not deviate from the topic. So. The carburetor in this model has a single adjusting screw, that is, it is a kind of idle stroke adjustment screw. While the fully loaded jet is stationary.
In simple terms, we can say that it simply cannot be adjusted (see here), while the full load setting simply cannot be changed. It is important that the carburetor itself at the factory was configured in such a way that regardless of the actual conditions under which the chainsaw is operated directly, the air-fuel mixture is supplied to the engine itself.
Briefly about the main
This model is the pride of the German manufacturer and is a direct tool intended for minor level work. It can be used no more than twenty hours a month. This excellent device will easily help you cope with the care of your garden, prepare firewood for the winter period of time (see how to cut down a tree), make cleared areas, and will also be an indispensable assistant in other areas, let’s say, simple manipulations.
We can say that these are a mini-model of chainsaws, since it has a small weighing about 3.9 kg, it does not have a large mass of both oil and fuel tanks. The manufacturer has equipped this device with a two-stroke engine with ample power for light work.
Over, it is quite quiet since during operation the noise level does not exceed 98 dB. So to better understand the level of loudness itself, just compare its noise with spoken speech, which has an indicator of 76 dB.
The power of this model is equal to 2.6 W. It’s worth noting that this is a fairly significant level of strength, given that it is not a professional chainsaw. The oil tank has a volume of only 0.145 liters, and the fuel tank. 0.25 liters. The tire has a dimension of 350 mm and a pitch of 0.325 inches.
How to eliminate the reasons why the device does not start.
It is important that if you even found the very cause of the instrument malfunction, this does not mean at all that you can eliminate it yourself. Since there are such breakdowns that can only be corrected by a specialist. If you have carried out direct manipulation regarding checking and changing the quality of the oil (see oil for the Stihl chainsaw), but, nevertheless, the chainsaw still refuses to start, in this case, you need to continue searching.
But if you fully performed all the manipulations prescribed above and did not miss a single nuance, but nevertheless the instrument has not yet been corrected, then in this case the problem lies in the group, which is called cylinder. But if you still could not “bring back to life” your iron friend, then simply take the chainsaw to a service center where your device will be repaired. Also, do not forget to take care of the engine to find out the ratio of gasoline and oil for chainsaws, read this article.
Stihl-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw floods the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
Today the manufacturer Stihl occupies a leading position among other companies that produce equipment for agricultural and construction work. The products of this manufacturer are famous not only for their high level of quality, but also for the optimal pricing policy and power of its models. Probably, it is quite difficult to meet a person who does not have a chainsaw of this brand. This is one of the most famous world companies. But the fact that out of ten possible, six people definitely have them. This is not surprising, since Stihl chainsaws deliver power as well as graceful design. But unfortunately, such giants of technology sometimes fail and require some kind of repair. Let’s talk about the reasons why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start.