Than Cutting Plywood 4 mm
Anyone who is going to create an interior item from a plywood sheet, for example, a stool, a carved casket, a wardrobe or a rocking chair, wonders what to consider when working to make the product reliable and attractive? Also, many are interested in how to cut plywood (with a jigsaw or saw).
Sawing of sheet material should take place on a solid installation to avoid unsteadiness of the treated area
To answer the question, what is the best way to cut plywood and how to do it correctly, you need to familiarize yourself with all the nuances, subtleties that should be taken into account in the process to achieve a positive result.
How to choose a tool for sawing plywood sheets?
To answer the question of how to cut plywood without chips, you need to find out which tool and in which cases it is more appropriate to use.
The choice of a tool for cutting depends on the complexity of the drawing, more precisely on the bending radius, which must be cut.
If the bending radius is not more than one centimeter, then in this case use a manual jigsaw. If the width of the material is about a millimeter, then in this case, you can create many complex shapes.
Advice! Using a drill, you can make a round hole much faster.
If the bending radius is more than three centimeters, then an electric jigsaw is used. Which nail file to cut plywood? First of all, it should be noted that the radius depends on the width of the material, therefore, the smaller the saw teeth, the more intact the veneer layer will be. For this reason, in order to cut complex figures, a metal sheet is used.
The sketch should be applied to the rear side of the plywood. This will help to avoid raising the chips (if it rises, then only on the reverse side).
If you need to make a cut in a straight line, then in this case the circular saw will be most appropriate. With this tool you can achieve a smooth and clean cut.
Important! To make the cut smooth, you must ensure that the tool is not on weight. Otherwise, distortions are inevitable. If you use a hand saw, the load of the tool should fall on the surface of the sheet.
In order to get the edges without chipping, you need to choose the right tool:
- Needle files are used when cutting complex shapes. Thanks to them, the edges can be made rounded or angular. The set includes a triangular, flat and round file.
- For coarse products, it is quite possible to do with two files, flat and round.
- When it is necessary to process plywood sheets before roughing the walls, use a flat rasp. Using it, the master to clean the edge of the chips.
Important! In the grinding process, it is necessary to monitor the direction of the fibers. It is impossible for the file to move perpendicular to it.
- Small details are sanded with sandpaper.
- Another way to achieve smooth edges is to glue the “path” when cutting, cut it with an insulating tape.
Video: Than Cutting Plywood 4 mm
Protecting edges from chipping with tape
What material to choose?
Material selection tips:
- To create decorative elements, a plywood sheet with a thickness of about four millimeters is suitable.
- In order to decorate home decoration with a carved panel, a plywood sheet from a thickness of eight millimeters is suitable.
- A sheet with a thickness of six millimeters is suitable for the manufacture of frame interior items. But if they are going to make frameless furniture, then they choose a sheet whose thickness is at least fifteen millimeters. It is quite possible to connect pieces of plywood end-to-end, without corners, but in this case it is necessary to make holes in the end part. As an additional strength, sealant can be applied to the ends.
- A plywood sheet, the thickness of which exceeds ten centimeters, is mainly used as a floor for concrete screed. In this case, a waterproofing layer is placed between the concrete base and plywood. How to cut plywood 10 mm? An electric jigsaw is best suited for cutting a plywood sheet with such a thickness. However, if you need to make a cut in a straight line, then you can get by with a saw.
How to cut plywood in order to avoid chipping at the edges? To avoid such problems when working, you should consider some nuances:
- How to saw plywood with a jigsaw / saw blade to simplify the process? In this matter, a few new clamps will help the novice master. Thanks to them, sawing will be much easier. It is much more convenient to control the material and the tool when the sheet is firmly pressed to the table. Thanks to the reliable fixing of plywood, damage to the table itself can be avoided.
- Drawings of any product can be found on the Internet.
- Drawing from a sheet to plywood can be transferred using copying.
- How to saw plywood with a jigsaw to avoid chips? When working with a manual jigsaw, you should constantly make sure that it moves perpendicular to the pile.
The correct position of the jigsaw in relation to the material being processed
Tips for working with a manual and electric jigsaw:
- When working with an electric jigsaw, you must monitor the angle of the platform. Most often it can be customized.
- In the process of cutting simple shapes, you should monitor the position of the blade. Cut should occur from the front of the contour of the figure.
- If the cut is done in a straight line, then in this case you should focus on the pointer (on the platform). If the pointer is missing, the outline should be applied with a pencil.
- To cut a hole of complex shape with an electric jigsaw, you need to make a hole in any part of its contour. The diameter of the drill must be greater than the width of the blade.
Piercing the hole for the entrance of a jigsaw file with a special awl
- If you are going to make a hole with a hand jigsaw, then in this case, the part should be pierced with an awl. Then you should pass through it a cloth. After the part is again fixed in the frame.
- If you use an electric jigsaw, then turn the tool during operation, and not a sheet of plywood (if you need to make a rotation according to the figure). When working with a manual jigsaw, plywood is turned.
- If you need to cut a figure and a plywood sheet with cutouts, then first cut out the cutouts (turning the sheet is much easier than a small part).
- During the work process, make sure that the material does not overheat. When the edge becomes hot, it is necessary to suspend work for a while to allow the file to cool. Otherwise, the teeth will lose their sharpening.
Important! Before changing the file or cooling it, you must first de-energize the tool. You should also put the electric jigsaw on the surface only when it stops completely. If you neglect these rules, you can lose fingers.
- The canvas should be well tensioned. Otherwise, the file will break.
If you take into account all the subtleties and nuances at work, then the result of all the negative aspects can be avoided.