The attachment for a chainsaw longitudinal saw with their own hands
Technology of sawing a log into boards with a chainsaw
Sawing logs into boards with a chainsaw is a fairly convenient and easy method of working with wood. Due to the presence of various nozzles, the master obtains materials with a smooth and even surface. It is easy to make boards on your own, you do not need to go to specialized stores.
The method of sawing logs with a chainsaw has several advantages.
Ability to work under any conditions. a chainsaw is not afraid of moisture, so the sawing specialists can saw logs during rain, the equipment in such a case will not be spoiled.
High performance. it is allowed to carry out work on wood throughout the day, but it should be noted that the power of the device must be not less than 7 horsepower.
Autonomous device. the equipment runs on gasoline, does not depend on electricity, the workplace is installed in any area where it will be more convenient to carry out the process.
Ease of use. chain saw is equipped with soft start and chain speed regulation, these conditions provide good results for beginners in this business.
The undoubted advantage is that the equipment costs much less than a small sawmill. During the breakage, the repair is inexpensive, does not take much time.
Types of working nozzles
Sawing logs with a chainsaw is carried out in different ways, masters work with wood along the grain, as well as across it. It all depends on which attachments are used in the chainsaw.
The attachment for longitudinal sawing
Used for sawing logs longitudinally, in a horizontal position. After the work is done, the sawmaker gets the same thickness of the product. Finished materials are dried and the boards are used in construction.
Appearance of the device is a frame of small size, it is attached to the bar on each side.
Sawing with the light-duty cutting head
This method is not very productive, but is used quite often. The fixing of the element is made on one side, but the blanks are a little uneven. Such materials are needed for the construction of barns or fences.
Drum debarker. debarker
With this attachment it is easy to debark the log, it works due to the V-belt transmission. Attached to the belts on both sides, special pulleys are used for this. The speed of rotation of the shaft depends on the size of the pulleys, so the performance of the nozzle is not difficult to change.
This technology forces the master to closely monitor each stage of the process, some specialists during this sawing use an assistant. But this variant requires increased safety measures.
Types of sawing logs
Before you start sawing a billet, you need to decide how to get the final product of high quality with the least amount of waste. The timber is not of uniform quality, the lower part of the trunk yields the most valuable lumber. The following types of lumber can be obtained by sawing from a log:
- timber. lumber, with a thickness and width of more than 10 cm. the most common type is a square timber, the most common type is a four-beam. Used as a construction material and in the manufacture of furniture;
- Boards are sawn timber, up to 10 cm thick and twice as wide as the thickness. Planks are obtained from logs or cants and are used in construction and in the furniture industry.
With theoretical knowledge and practical skills, you can make boards and beams with your own hands.
How to use a homemade barker?
Bark mower on chainsaw will serve properly only if its owner will use it correctly and maintain the device regularly.
- lubricate parts that are in constant contact with each other from time to time. If the elements of the homemade will work dry, it will lead not only to their accelerated wear, but also to the breakdown of the motor, which will work under increased loads;
- Regularly paint the barker. at the first detection of rust on the metal parts of the nozzle, the problem area will require the application of primer and several layers of paint. Otherwise, corrosion will spread over the entire surface of the barker;
- Store the nozzle in a place where the temperature is about 10-20 ⁰C. There must not be any dampness in the room, otherwise the attachment will start to rust.
Another important factor is the timely replacement of defective parts. This will protect other elements of the barker from accelerated wear and increase the quality of woodworking.
Sawmill from a chainsaw
This type of construction is the easiest to make, but it will also require special skills, tools and experience.
This type implies the installation of the carriage on the rails, but is not obligatory. A flat wooden bar can be used as a guide, on which the carriage structure will slide easily. It allows to evenly remove the first layer. The plane of the cut on the log is used as the subsequent guide.
The lack of a frame and carriage adds a number of complications. The craftsman may have problems holding the log in one position. Without proper fixation, you can not start working, because it could lead to injuries.
The step-by-step process for making a chainsaw carriage will look as follows:
- Make the base. To do this, we weld together a 25×25 mm tube.
- To the base, on opposite sides, perpendicular tubes are welded, measuring 30×30 mm. They are needed to fix the moving part that holds the saw and sets the thickness of the slats to be sawed.
- Nuts are welded into the sides of the rails. With their help, it will be possible to fix the moving parts at the right height with bolts.
- Making the moving part. It consists of two tubes with a T-shaped end. The end of the pipes is made in the form of a vise, clamped with bolts and nuts. These clamps will hold the chain saw blade. The size of the pipes is 25×25 mm.
- To prevent the saw chain from rubbing against metal parts, two metal plates of the right size are welded to the inside of the vice. They depend entirely on the thickness and width of the chainsaw blade.
- Putting the saw carriage together, selecting the correct height and installing the saw. The sawmill is ready for use.
The video below shows the entire process of making the carriage. In addition, the author of this device notes the main difficulties and some inaccuracies he made during the assembly of the sawmill. This allows you to avoid such oversights and make your log sawing attachment more practical.
This design of the carriage is suitable for personal use and one-time sawing of wood. It is not suitable for commercial purposes.
This type of logging equipment is suitable for small construction sites, as it greatly simplifies and speeds up the process of sawing wood. However, it is quite difficult to make such a machine with your own hands.
To make a carriage for a chainsaw and the bed with their own hands, you will need drawings of this design. They are attached below, along with a photo of the finished machine.
As you can see from the proposed drawings, the machine consists of three main parts:
With the making of the carriage we have understood in the last example. You can use this construction, but it must be refined. It will be necessary to install the wheels and the limiting mechanism on the frame. Thanks to them, the carriage will be able to move easily on the guides and will not fly off during the sawing of logs.
The carriages themselves must be made of tough and hard-wearing material. For a homemade sawmill it is recommended to use ordinary railroad rails. Depending on the preferred size of the machine, select the desired length of rails. If necessary, they are welded together, and the seams are grinded to avoid large differences. At the far end of the rails, a stop is welded to the log. It will not allow it to move off during sawing.
The drawings by Logosol, the official manufacturer of woodworking equipment worldwide, are used as an example of the basic components.
The log block is one of the most complicated parts of this device.
- First, it must regulate the height of the log lift. To do this, the lifting devices are fitted with a toothed rack. The movement is carried out with a handle, which sets the toothed wheel in motion. You can limit the backward movement of the lifting part with a ratchet mechanism.
- Secondly, limit the log so it does not roll over to the side. It is easy enough to do. You can use angles made of any sturdy material to put under the wood and keep it from shifting. It is also possible to provide stronger clamps screwed directly to the log feeder unit. But then there can be problems with their adjustment for different sizes of wood
The only thing left is to assemble the machine into a single unit. After that you can use it for cutting large quantities of wood. This video shows the machine in working condition:
This type of logging equipment is suitable for small construction, as it significantly simplifies and speeds up the process of sawing wood. However, it is quite difficult to make such a machine with your own hands.
To make a carriage for a chainsaw and the bed with their own hands, you will need drawings of this design. They are attached below, along with a photo of the finished machine.
As can be seen from the proposed drawings, the machine consists of three main parts:
With the making of the carriage we have understood in the previous example. You can use this design, but it needs to be refined. It is necessary to install wheels and a limiting mechanism on the frame. Thanks to them, the carriage can easily move on the rails and will not fly off while sawing logs.
The rails themselves must be made of strong and hard-wearing material. For the homemade sawmill it is recommended to use ordinary railroad rails. Depending on the preferred size of the machine, choose the right length of rails. If necessary, they are welded together, and the seams are deburred to avoid large differences. A log stop is welded at the far end of the rails. It prevents it from sliding while the sawing process is in progress.
The drawings from Logosol, an official woodworking machinery manufacturer from around the world, are used as an example of the basic components.
The log feeding unit is one of the most complex parts of this device.
- First, it must adjust the height of the log lift. For this purpose the toothed rack is installed on the lifting devices. The movement is done by a handle that drives the toothed wheel. You can limit the backward movement of the lifting part with a ratchet mechanism.
- Secondly, you need to limit the log so it does not roll on the side. It is easy enough to do. You can use corners from any sturdy material that are placed under the wood and do not let it shift. It is also possible to provide stronger clamps screwed directly to the log feed unit. But then there may be problems with adjusting them for different sizes of wood
Then you only need to assemble the machine into a single unit. It can then be used to harvest larger quantities of wood. This video shows the machine in operation:
This mechanism is one of the more complicated types. It requires the purchase of expensive materials, including the necessary motor power, to prepare the movement system of the machine and conduct a complete adjustment of the equipment. It can be extremely difficult and expensive to build at home.
The working principle of the band saw is in the name of the band saw. The cutting element is a long band saw coiled into a ring. This ring is mounted on the pulleys. To prevent the belt from flying off when it heats up, car or motorcycle wheels are used as pulleys. They give the necessary elasticity.
- The main structural element that needs to be prioritized is the frame. It is the frame that will hold the cutting elements, the drive, the motor. The frame also ensures smooth running on the guide rails and allows the thickness of the cut to be adjusted. The assembly of the structure should begin with the frame.
- The motor plays an important role in the sawing process. An underpowered system will lead to frequent saw jams and low efficiency, while an overpowered system can break the cutting element. As a rule, electric motors with power from 2 kW are used. The motor is placed on the side of the frame opposite to the cutters.
- The easiest part is installing the guide rails. Any solid material. rails, channels, I-beams. can be used. The distance between the two parallel guide rails is the diameter of the largest log to be sawn on the sawmill. The guide rails are mounted on a support, positioned every half meter. The parts are fixed to each other by welding.
Such constructions are often used by small companies. For a relatively small outlay an effective tool can be obtained, capable of sawing a large number of logs longitudinally. However, the tool can not be called efficient for a single use. too high costs.
This video shows how to cut wood with a band saw. This will allow you to assess its effectiveness, and notice the main positive and negative aspects.
With the help of the above drawings and description, you will be able to make a chainsaw carriage with your own hands. Remember that the chainsaw is an extremely injurious tool. All structural parts, especially those that hold the guide bar in place, must be strong and sturdy. The parts must not “wiggle” when the load is applied. Otherwise you can get serious cuts or traumatic amputation of body parts. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is recommended to entrust the assembly of the mechanism to professionals or buy a ready-made set.
Classification of chain saw attachments for sawing logs
Depending on the direction in which the sawing will be done, all existing chainsaw attachments are divided into 2 broad groups:
Both categories represent a range of industrial adapters to produce boards and lumber of the desired size, which can then be used for construction or repair.
When there are no factory variants available, the only sure way is to make their analogs at home.
Fixture for chain saw longitudinal sawing with their own hands
It is based on a fairly simple design. an ordinary chainsaw frame for sawing wood, which is attached to the guide rail on both sides. If you make fasteners only with one. the accuracy of the sawing will be violated, but this will not prevent the adaptation of such boards for the construction of utility rooms or wooden fences. Consider step by step.
- As in the other case, we start our work with the drawings. They are the basis of the actual material and the source of the right course of work.
- Find a frame for the future device (it can be an ordinary children’s desk or a square-tube). It is desirable that the cross section was not less than 2 x 2 cm, or even a little more.
- Beginning to master the clamping elements. Their size should be at 0.5-0.6 m. One of the end faces of each should be the basis for the next mechanical assembly. the crossbar. This is best welded in place for extra strength.
- Use an electric drill to drill a series of holes in the welded crossbar. In the center, there must be a small overhang so you can clamp the bar properly.
- Similar fasteners should be welded on top (photo below). What else is worth taking care of at this stage? assembling such clamps, it is desirable that the height of the rail be a little less than the width of bolt fasteners.
- Let’s begin to assemble the base frame. It doesn’t have to be exactly square. Ideally, its length should be one dm more than its width.
- To its two sides in a perpendicular plane must be attached two structural parts with a length of at least 0.1 m. This size is determined by the need to supplement them with clamps and tightening bolts. To this end, again using a drill, a hole is made and the nuts themselves are welded into the base. For ergonomics it is worth to think about the handle, which can also be welded from a improvised metal material.
- The moment of the assembly itself, but also here there must be a clear technological concept. First of all clamps are inserted into the grooves, and after them the guide of the power tool, which should be very accurately fixed. How to choose the right distance? This is already regulated purely individually, depending on what material with what thickness you want to get at the output.
Agree that this course of action is very simple, and the most difficult, surprisingly, may be the lack of home electric welding, on the work of which is built the whole homemade cycle.
Features of the homemade sawing variant
Saw a log into boards easily with a tool made with their own hands. The manufacture of equipment is not complicated:
Scheme of the home-made sawing machine
- As a support you must use the frame from the school desk or a tube with a cross section in the form of a square, the optimal size of it is 20×20, it is possible and more.
- To assemble two brackets, on one end to mount a crossbar with two holes for the tie bolts, in the middle make an overhang for the bar.
- For the longitudinal sawing of the log into boards it is important to make a support frame, its width must be less than the length by 7-8 cm.
- Then two 10 cm long elements are welded to both sides, holes are made for bolts, and a handle is attached in the middle for convenient operation.
- After that, the clamps are inserted into the grooves, the bar is installed, everything is carefully fixed.
Working with a homemade tool is not difficult, it will require two trestle, they will serve as a support, and it is necessary to prepare a metal slat or board, the element will be a guiding element. A log is placed underneath and the height needed for the sawing operation is adjusted.
The technique of sawing a log lengthwise
Using the horizontal nozzle, saw a longitudinal cut. To get the boards even, it is important to use a specially prepared guide, its role is played by a metal rail or board of high strength.
The tricky part of this process is making the first cut, for this you need:
The drawing of a board sawn along
- Assemble the leading ruler, it consists of two boards fastened together at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Place the log on its supports, firmly secure its position.
- Check whether the log is level.
- Use self-tapping screws to fix the guide rail to the supports.
- Horizontally, mount another guide rail, the element will rest on the ground, but at the same time fix the log.
- Sawing the log.
During the second sawing the specialists can not use a leading ruler, the guide will serve as a received board. Make the second cut perpendicular to the first.
The secrets of the crosscut
Cross sawing is used to obtain firewood or decorative interior elements. Sawing is carried out according to the following principles:
Types of sawing
- Place the log horizontally on the wood supports, the height should be 0.5 m.
- Remove the bark.
- Make small marks along the entire length with an axe or saw.
- Using the cuts make a crosscut.
No special tools or attachments are required for the crosscut. For such work an ordinary chain is perfectly suitable, but its rings must be strong.
A typical chainsaw carriage construction consists of the following parts:
- The support frame with rails, which are assembled directly on site using standard sections.
- Automatic woodworking parameter control systems, which include limit switch, cutting depth control sensors, temperature detectors, units for measuring tool vibration, etc. Each carriage manufacturer has a different set of such nodes.
- Measuring scales mounted on rails.
- Travel motor for the carriage.
No additional maintenance required.
As an example, let’s take the diagram and possibilities of the Logosol F2 Farmer portable chainsaw with chainsaw undercarriage. It is designed for longitudinal sawing of logs up to 60 cm in diameter and is assembled from standard 1 m long sections, which are made of anodized aluminum.
- The chainsaws with manual feed are designed with a 4-metre long guide rail on which the saw carriage can travel horizontally and vertically. The most suitable chainsaw for such a chain saw is the STIHL MS391. Engine output 3.3 kW and a weight of 6.4 kg. Sawing is even faster with a bigger saw, e.g. STIHL MS661.
- For chainsaws with automatic feeding, the Logosol Log Moulder is the right choice. It is a set that includes a driving carriage, which has the ability to change the performance and speed of the saw blade, depending on the resistance force of the material to be processed. The unit is mainly used for electric saws, but can also be adapted to petrol saws.
A device for sawing boards with a chainsaw
Makeshift device for sawing logs into boards with a chainsaw, a detailed description of making a device with sizes and photos.
Hello all! I want to show a homemade device for sawing boards, which is installed on a chainsaw or electric saw. This home-made, I made for his electric saw, and using it sawed planks, I was satisfied, the way really works, but you will need to adjust everything for yourself.
I will describe how it is made in my work, and if you are interested you can learn and improve this design.
All elements are aligned by level and welded by welding, the dimensions I took arbitrarily at my discretion, and was guided by my saw. It is necessary to make a handle for sawing and pushing direction.
All saws are different in size and length of the bar, and therefore there may be modifications to the design for your particular saw, which will need to be taken into account.
I was forced by the need to saw boards myself, why?? When you live in the countryside, you need boards for your needs. There is always something to nail, to make, to replace, to chip. Where to get boards for their needs? Tell me if you can just buy. Yes you can, but not always profitable, and you have to pay for shipping more. And if you need a little, say only a few boards, 2-3 pieces only, small things to nail. After all, a few pieces of boards, no one will sell you, if you do not live in the city.
Now, let me tell you how I did the sawing. To begin, I secured the log to a simple workbench, using clamps.
I evened the upper part of the log with an axe, then I treated it with an electric plunge to create an even surface. I did it by eye, but I used a ruler for a more or less even surface.
And then, simply put a saw with a nozzle from the end of the log, with the preset size of the thickness of the board and sawed. That’s it!
Some people make special rails for straight sawing on which the saw and attachment moves, and I saw straight through the log and it seems to work. Although special guides make the sawing process easier, but you also have to do a lot of them.
And in this uncomplicated way, I sawed myself about 50 planks, ranging in length from 1.4 to 1.8 meters long. I chose logs of this length, for easier carrying and carrying alone, by hand.
A little clarification! The chainsaw chain, sharpened for longitudinal sawing at an angle of about 10 degrees. Of course it’s not fast, but it’s possible to saw. The speed of the sawing depends on the power of the saw, and the sharpness of the sharpened chain. The more powerful the saw, the faster the sawing is. If the chain is blunt, the sawing will be slow and fine dust will fly out. Also, I took the tooth stop off the chain a little, to get the chain to dig into the wood better. Made it by eye, about a millimeter removed.
Type of lumber
In order to use the carriage effectively, it is necessary to know the techniques of making a particular type of lumber. There are the following varieties:
- Lafet (double-edged timber). This is a log with the two sides of the slab removed. This results in two parallel squares on opposite sides;
- timber. This is a thick beam of rectangular cross-section, obtained from the lumber after the sides have been trimmed;
- board. A flat plank obtained by longitudinal sawing of a log. Its thickness reaches 100 mm, the material above this thickness is considered a beam (or carpentry). There are unedged and edged boards, obtained respectively from a log or from a beam.
A longitudinal log sawing device
Longitudinal sawing of a log is done with a special device. It consists of these components:
- adapter, which is fixed to the guide bar in the base area;
- the guide rail, whose main task is to transmit a straight motion of the main component.
The last component attached to the board on the log that the operator is going to saw.
Such a device, as we have already found out by reviewing its design features, guarantees the straight motion of the guide bar, which ensures the accuracy of the longitudinal cut.
- saw a log into two parts;
- sawing the material into quarters;
- saw out of the logs of the bar to be used for construction work (it will look neat, so that the slopes of the masonry looks good);
- split the logs into several planks or boards.
Note that if you have set yourself the task of sawing into logs and bars, you will have to change the position of the board many times. In addition, a good knack comes in handy for a precise cut. At first, the loose end of the guide bar will extend sideways. This will not achieve consistent performance and exact parallelism on each side of the board or bars.
Similar design device is used when it is necessary to saw material in horizontal position. If to carry out a comparative characteristic, the device for sawing vertically allows to receive at an output identical in thickness elements from a tree, that allows to characterize this attachment as accurate and functional.
The attachment for chainsaw longitudinal sawing with my own hands
Homemade attachment for chain saw
Electric and chain saw carriage for longitudinal sawing of logs into boards and planks, with the possibility of adjusting the thickness of boards and adjusting to any bar size. Conducted the first test on a 2,300 watt electric chainsaw. Making boards from oak logs.
Blueprints for making a carriage for a chainsaw.
Video report on the manufacture and use of this device:
Do homemades with your own hands like us, do better than us!
Thanks to a large number of step-by-step photos and detailed instructions you will easily be able to repeat any handicraft at home, or choose an original and bold idea for the realization of your idea!
We help you in your ideas and creativity, all you need is your skills, talent, patience and abilities!
EuroSamodelki. This is an aggregator of a huge number of home-made crafts on the Runet! Be original, resourceful, and inventive with us! All in your capable hands! Dare!
EuroSamodelki.ru. is a huge number of homemade crafts, which are accompanied by detailed illustrated instructions for self-made. Our catalog already counts over 5000 handmade crafts. Join us, join our social groups on and Odnoklassniki. We are waiting for you! Make something useful for yourself, for your home, for your loved ones.
Eurosamodelki.Copyright © 2012-2022, DIY by MaximaN Copying is allowed only when using an active link to the site