The better to cut linoleum at home
Linoleum cutting tool
The construction knife is a versatile tool for cutting roll coverings
Cutting PVC or natural linoleum can be done using the following tool:
- construction knife. has a retractable design, the ability to change and rigidly fix the cutting blade. In fact, this is an adapted and improved version of the stationery retractable knife, adapted for construction needs. Suitable for cutting both thin-layer and thicker roll coatings, but when working, you should carefully monitor the path of the blade;
- knife for cutting linoleum. has a curved or hook-shaped cutting element. Allows you to quickly and quality cut through linoleum, carpets and any other soft floor coverings. Suitable for both cutting a straight seam and curly elements in corner joints;
- floor cutter. available in various variations. For linoleum, a design is used with a disc cutting element fixed in a special frame with a handle. A conventional fixed blade cutter can also be used. Allows you to quickly and efficiently cut a flat edge along the entire length of the blade.
Additionally, you can mark such a tool as a “beveler”. It is used when laying natural linoleum when it is necessary to cut off the “broken” edge. In the case of PVC coating, it allows you to cut off the “fringed” edge if gross mistakes were made during cutting.
When choosing a working tool, one should take into account the type of coverage that is planned for laying. Household linoleum has a low density and thickness. An ordinary construction knife is enough to cut it.
expensive semi-commercial or natural linoleum is best cut with a specialized knife. This will cut through the dense sheeting and get a smooth cut.
The appearance of the tool can be seen in the photo above. for an entry-level branded product. It is better for a master finisher to purchase better equipment.
Among the manufacturers are Truper, Suntool and Romus. For DIY work, knives from Biber, Jettools, Fit are quite suitable.
How to cut roll coverings correctly
Highlights when cutting linoleum during installation
To carry out work on cutting linoleum canvas, in addition to the purchased knife, you will need to prepare a square, a long ruler and a tape measure. To create a template, you need plain paper or thick cardboard.
When working, try not to rush and take all measurements several times. You need to cut with confident movements, applying effort. If necessary, you can draw up a diagram of the location of the canvases, and only after that start cutting them according to the calculated parameters.
DIY linoleum cutting technology will consist of the following:
- Before cutting the linoleum, it should be kept indoors for 7-14 days at room temperature. For a more precise date, refer to the instructions or paper insert supplied with the coating.
- Next, the roll is cut according to the length of the room, taking into account the allowance. For a canvas with a length of 5-6 m. 20 mm overlap, less than 10 m. 40-50 mm, over 10-12 m. 50-70 mm. This is necessary for the stock of material for trimming and natural shrinkage.
- The cut canvases should be left for 3-5 days until they are completely straightened. If “waves” remain on the surface, then you should not try to eliminate them using third-party methods. High-quality roll coating will straighten naturally.
- Then the cut pieces are laid out along the length of the room. If there are protruding communications and other decorative elements in the room, then you will need to prepare a paper template. After that, according to the template, the pattern is transferred to linoleum and cut off in the right places.
- If the room has the correct shape, then the linoleum is pushed up against the wall with an overlap and cut off at the junction.
- For joining the canvases with a pattern, the first canvas is laid out on the floor surface. The second canvas is superimposed over the first until the joining edge forms a continuation of the pattern. Next, the edge is pressed with a long ruler and cut through both pieces.
Upon completion of the cutting, the linoleum must be shifted by one half of the room and the work surface must be removed from dust, debris and abrasive particles. After that you can start fixing and docking.
How to properly cut linoleum when laying. the choice of tools and technology of work
Hello. There is nothing difficult in cutting linoleum. The main thing is to choose the right tool, since it is very difficult to cut a dense canvas even with a well-sharpened knife or stationery.
Docking two or more canvases
Cold welding is used to join two or more canvases.
Fixing linoleum to the floor can be done in several ways. Glue applied over the entire floor surface is the most reliable solution. Double-sided adhesive tape is used for rooms where fixing rigidity does not matter or linoleum is a temporary floor covering.
The adhesive mass is prepared for work according to the instructions on the package. A spatula is used for application. First, linoleum is fixed against the wall for a large width of the canvas (60-70%). The adhesive is applied to a clean surface in undulating movements without excess.
After that, the web is carefully lowered and rolled with a heavy roller. If there is no roller, then it can be replaced with a regular building level wrapped in a soft cloth. The surface must be carefully smoothed over the entire area.
Do the same with the second half of the room. To join the canvases, you will need to glue the tape along the entire length and remove the protective coating. After that, an adhesive mass is applied to the remaining part. After gluing, the seam should be carefully rolled.
If you plan to weld the seam, then it is necessary to cut a groove for the filling. Before welding, it is necessary to thoroughly warm up the hair dryer for several minutes, put on the nozzle and insert the cord.
Above you can watch a video on how to properly cut linoleum when laying flooring in an apartment. Pay attention to the sequence of actions when laying multiple canvases.
To obtain the desired result when working with roll coating, you must follow the advice from experienced craftsmen:
- It is impossible to start cutting the flooring immediately after purchase. To stabilize its size, the selected material must be kept indoors for at least a couple of weeks. in warm conditions. After unpacking, the roll should be rolled out and cut into canvases in accordance with specific dimensions, but provide for an allowance for shrinkage and adjustment. The rule applies here: the longer the cut, the more allowance is needed. So, if the length of the web is more than 10 m, then 50-60 mm must be left in reserve, and if the length is less than 10 m, 30-40 mm is enough. If the room is small, where the length is less than 6 m, then the allowance should be up to 20 mm. It is recommended to put all canvases in a pile and give them time for full straightening. 5 days.
- You need to start working with linoleum after laying it on the floor, where the walls are already marked on the spot. To press the material to the floor, you should use a provil or a building ruler. First, they make a puncture and a small incision with a sharp tool, and then they lead the knife along a ruler along the entire perimeter of the room. A V-neck is made in the corner. To work with pipes, columns, a bay window, it is imperative to make patterns, for convenience, you can cut out on the newspaper, and then attach and make from cardboard. In order not to spoil the floor covering in difficult areas, it is necessary to cut in small pieces, according to a template.
- If the floor covering is used with a pattern, then first lay it face up and try it on. After laying the material parallel to the wall, it is pressed, you can use a heavy object, cut it off. In the place where the canvas ends, apply the following (overlap), pay special attention to the selection of the pattern. The canvases collected in two layers are carefully cut through without haste. If the room is very large, then the selection of the pattern occurs along the border. Here it is necessary to cut off the abutting elements using a ruler and a sharp tool, controlling the accuracy of the pattern coincidence.
How to properly and quickly cut linoleum at home, you can look at
How to cut linoleum exactly
In order to cut linoleum according to the size of the room without any difficulties, and the cut turned out to be even, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the intricacies of this class of flooring. PVC is a fairly durable product, but if there are sharp depressions or small cuts on the edge of the sheet in the direction of the main part, there is a high probability of rapid damage to the material. Therefore, you need to work very carefully, making an even cutting of the canvas.
6 Ways to Cut Vinyl Plank Flooring | Beginners Guide
Considering that PVC linoleum is easy to cut with a well-sharpened tool, all accidental movements should be excluded. Otherwise, it can provoke a deviation from the given direction. It is possible to avoid such troubles by using a template or a long ruler for cutting.
Canvases with uneven edges prevent the seam from being invisible
Since the method of cold chemical welding is used to join two canvases, they must be cut with maximum accuracy. Thanks to this, it will be possible to exclude pronounced seams, which greatly spoil the appearance of the entire floor. Before starting cutting the linoleum sheet, it is imperative to check all measurements, the quality of the sharpness of the cutting element.
The algorithm of work on a section of coverage along the entire length or width provides for the following actions:
- Mark the line on the inside or outside of the canvas, which will serve as a guide for cutting.
- Attach a long ruler to this mowing line.
- Cut off the sheet with a sharp knife.
What is cut linoleum
There is a huge selection of construction tools for cutting flooring. special knives that have a number of advantages:
- they work equally effectively with linoleum, which is either in a vertical or horizontal position;
- no difficulties with replacing blades;
- the ability to obtain the most even cut;
- high strength characteristics of the blade;
- high-quality blade fixation system;
- there are devices with rubberized pads on the handles (anti-slip).
It is best to cut linoleum at home by using one of the following types of special tools:
- Construction knife. The model is a retractable design, where it is possible to quickly replace the cutting blade. Thanks to the perfect sharpening, working with linoleum is quite easy. In general, the device is very similar to a stationery retractable knife, only more improved and adapted for cutting flooring. It can be classified as universal; it is also used to fit a thin-layer material and a thicker coating. The main thing is to follow the progress of the cutting blade.
- Knife for cutting linoleum. This version of the tool is distinguished by a curved or hook-shaped blade shape. This feature of the cutting element makes it possible to easily cut any floor covering, including linoleum. It is good to use it not only for cutting a straight seam, but also for cutting curly details in corner joints.
- Floor cutter. This special tool is available in different designs on the market. The disc version is excellent for cutting linoleum. Fix the canvas in a frame with a handle. A model with a fixed cutting element is also suitable. Such a conventional cutter is easily capable of making a straight edge along the entire length of the material.
How to cut linoleum under a pipe
Laying flooring around pipes is not an easy process and requires a special approach:
- Fold the fabric with the wrong side onto the pipe. Mark it in the center. You will also need to measure the space from the wall to the pipe.
- Draw a circle by using a compass or pipe of similar diameter. Putting a piece of plywood under the material, use a sharp tool along the ruler to make a straight cut.
- Unfold the floor covering and determine where the pipe hole will be. It needs to be cut first in a smaller size, and then corrected in place.
How to cut linoleum at home
To cut linoleum, it is not enough to take just a knife; you will also have to prepare a tape measure, a square, a long ruler. In addition, you will need a sheet of paper or thick cardboard for the template. Considering that the linoleum canvas “does not forgive” mistakes, then all measurements are better not one, but several times to check for accuracy. Cutting movements must be confident, with effort.
How to trim linoleum walls
There are several ways to trim the flooring close to the wall: with a trowel and knife, and with only a sharp tool. The second option is considered faster and more efficient, so you can cut linoleum on a felt basis in this way. For this you need:
- Spread linoleum in the room and let it “lie down”.
- Press down on the material with your fingers and, stepping back 1.2 cm from the crease, start cutting at an angle of 45 degrees.
How to lay sheet vinyl flooring
How to cut linoleum in a roll
To cut a floor covering on a roll, you must:
- Lay the material longitudinally to the room.
- Cut off the excess part, gradually unwinding the roll, but at the same time you need to simultaneously twist the cut off part.
To avoid mistakes, before starting work on cutting the material, you should measure the width of the room in several places, preferably 3-5. The largest indicator is taken as a basis. The tool must be with a well-sharpened blade.
How to choose a tool for cutting linoleum
To properly cut linoleum into the corridor or any other room, you need to competently approach the choice of tool. The knife must have:
- Reliable grip. It can be made of metal or wood. The cutting blade must be of high quality and stainless steel.
- Suitable blade thickness. To avoid problems when cutting the flooring, it is recommended to use a cutting blade with a thickness of 0.6-1 mm.
- Ability to withstand severe stress.
For a quick and convenient workflow, you should understand all the variety of tools on the market. There are products for chamfering, for a cord, various scissors, cutters. For the correct selection of a knife, it is necessary to take into account both the structure and thickness of a particular material, its individual characteristics.
How to choose the right model?
When choosing a knife, you must be guided by some of its features. A quality tool has a sturdy metal (in some cases wooden) handle covered with plastic or rubber. Blade. only high quality steel (stainless).
The handle should fit perfectly in your hand and not slip. The elasticity of the working part is the main quality, the steel plane should not bend. Plate thickness. 0.6-1 mm, in width and length corresponds to the size of the tool.
Before starting work, it is worth checking the degree of sharpness of the blades and the reliability of the case. He is subjected to considerable loads that he must withstand. Training is also necessary: without practice it will be difficult to work, the hand needs to get used to the instrument.
The offered assortment of knives for cutting linoleum is great. It will not be difficult for the master to choose the one that he needs for high-quality work.
What is the cutting technique
Before cutting, it is necessary to unfold the canvas from a roll position and let it rest at room temperature for at least a couple of days. This is necessary so that at the moment when the linoleum is being cut, there are no waves and creases on it. Next, the linoleum should be marked and pruned. To create even cuts along the walls, it is necessary to press the linoleum canvas with a hard ruler or other straight rigid object.
It should be borne in mind that linoleum can change its size a little over time. it shrinks or, conversely, spreads out. Therefore, during the initial cutting, it is better to leave a couple of centimeters overlap on the walls, and cut back to back only before the final fixation of the skirting boards.
To create neat joints, overlap both canvases and cut them at the same time. The seam will turn out to be smooth and almost invisible. If it is supposed to dock the picture, then you need to think about this in advance, at the marking stage.
Linoleum knives (21 photos): how to cut, how to cut linoleum at home
Before you get acquainted with how correctly and how to cut linoleum without the help of others, you should familiarize yourself with the preliminary work. The roll must be kept indoors for acclimatization for days. This time is needed to prepare the foundation:
- Gender must be equal.
- It is necessary to remove the baseboards.
- All the cracks are putty and rubbed.
- It is necessary to remove the bumps, knocking down with a hammer, and then level the floor surface with mortar.
- With a woody rough field, it should be inspected for protruding nail heads and screws.
- If there are huge gaps in the basement that cannot be repaired, then sheets of chipboard or plywood are laid.
This allows you to extend the life of linoleum, as well as prevent the penetration of cold into the room.
After completing the preparation, you can work with the coating.
To do this, the roll is rolled out on the floor in the position in which it will be located, and left for 2 days to straighten. This is necessary to stabilize.
Properties and advantages of marmoleum
The natural resins that make up marmoleum provide one of its unique characteristics: it only gets stronger over time. In addition, this floor covering has bactericidal properties, is weakly flammable, and does not emit carcinogenic or toxic substances during combustion.
How and what to cut linoleum at home: a step-by-step description and recommendations
Marmoleum is a modern eco-friendly floor covering that has gained real popularity only in recent years.
Marmoleum is often called natural linoleum, although in fact it is more of a thoughtful marketing ploy, since these materials have very little in common.
Marmoleum is made exclusively from natural ingredients. Among them are resins of coniferous trees, linseed oil, jute, cork chips. Thanks to these components, a durable and wear-resistant material is obtained. Marmoleum can be laid directly on the screed as it is supplied on its own cork backing for excellent sound insulation.
This flooring is available in rolls or tiles of various sizes. The second option is much more common on the market, since rolled marmoleum is quite difficult to cut and lay.
Advantages and disadvantages
In general, we can highlight a large number of advantages in laying linoleum:
- Cheapness (the exception is natural, but the price pays off by the service life and service life);
- Service life from 7 to 30 years;
- Ease of laying linoleum, which one can do;
- Wear resistance. modern technologies allow even inexpensive material to withstand large and long-term loads;
- Does not support combustion (if it is made in accordance with GOST);
- Prevents feet from sliding on the floor;
- Heat and sound insulation;
- Easy to transport;
- Easy to cut and stack;
- Does not require special conditions and facilitates cleaning the premises;
- Wide range of colors and patterns.
The disadvantages include only those that appear when choosing low-quality linoleum or low-quality laying it on the floor:
- Formation of irregularities, “repetition” of the floor relief;
- If air enters and does not remove, a hump may appear;
- The weak points are the seams. With improper care of them, the service life is reduced by one and a half to two times.
- Linoleum is susceptible to mechanical damage. When heavy objects are found for a long time in the same place, visible dents appear, which are difficult to correct.
- Elasticity and flexibility are lost over time;
- In some types of linoleum, over time, the release of harmful odors and substances begins, so before laying, be sure to find out everything about the material and its properties.
For information on how to lay linoleum, see the next video.
How to cut: types of tools
Cutting is done with the following tools:
Universal construction knife. It has a retractable design with fixing the cutter in a certain position. Looks like a regular utility knife, but the blade and body are less prone to breakage. Convenient when cutting thin linoleum, but you need to constantly monitor the progress of the knife.
Roller knife, often called a circular knife. Has one or a pair of blades. Convenient to use when cutting straight line as well as curved line.
Utility knife. Used for cutting linoleum, carpeting, for cord, leaves the edges smooth. Replaceable steel blade is held by a screw in the handle, preventing it from moving.
Monthly. Ideal for trimming corners. Also has replaceable blades.
Cutter with disc. For linoleum, a cutter with a cutting disc is selected. The main advantage is the cutting speed.
What to cut
When choosing a knife, it is necessary to consider the type and characteristics of the coating. For example, thin linoleum for home use has a low density, it can be cut with a simple construction knife. Semi-commercial and industrial versions have a dense coating on the front side and require the use of special tools.
Special knife for cutting linoleum
The shape of the cutting part of such a knife is curved or in the form of a hook. The design has a double-sided roller with a pair of blades parallel to each other. The sharp blade cuts through dense material quickly and easily, and also assists in cutting carpets and other soft flooring options. The tool can be used to make straight and curved cuts. This type of knife is suitable for materials of the homogeneous and gesterone group.
Universal floor cutter
When working with thick materials, multi-purpose cutters are often used for flooring. There are several types of tools:
- With circular or trapezoidal blade. A special handle provides the ability to apply force along the seam in the opposite direction from itself. Guides are provided below. Great for straight cuts.
- With standard handle and curved blade. The knife moves through the material towards itself. The blade is at the bottom and the guides on the handle are at the top. Lack of experience in cutting can threaten with irregularities.
The cutter is recommended for use by professionals who often deal with interior decoration.
What and how best to cut linoleum?
To preserve the neat and aesthetic appearance of the flooring, linoleum must be cut very carefully. First of all, this concerns the areas of joining of the canvases, the irregularities of the edges of which will be clearly visible after laying.
How to cut material
To divide linoleum into several canvases, in addition to a knife, you will need:
- building ruler,
The cutting template is made of paper or cardboard. Before work, you must carefully mark and check the measurements. The incisions are made with firm movements and effort. It is imperative to control the coincidence of color and texture after installation.
The scheme of actions is as follows:
- Before opening, linoleum is kept indoors for 1-2 weeks at room (20-22 degrees) temperature.
- The places of the cuts are marked on the back of the coating, the material is cut taking into account the length of the room and the allowance. For canvases up to 6 meters long, the allowance is 2 centimeters, with a longer blade length, the allowance is 4-7 centimeters (for trimming and natural shrinkage).
- After cutting, the coating is again kept indoors for 3-4 days until it straightens.
- The resulting canvases are laid out indoors, carefully cut according to a template in places of protruding structures (batteries, corner columns, and so on).
- When working in a room of the correct shape, linoleum is laid along the wall with an overlap. The next canvas is superimposed on the first and moved until the pattern matches, after which both layers are cut through.
After completing the procedure, linoleum is moved to one part of the room and the room is carefully cleaned before laying.
How to cut linoleum?
The main types of cutting tools successfully used in cutting linoleum are of three types: retractable construction knife, flooring knife and linoleum cutting knife. Sometimes, in the absence of the above tools, a clerical knife can be used, provided that a stock of replaceable blades is used.
However, such a knife can only be suitable for cutting thin linoleum. The cutting angle with such a knife should be kept the same. Otherwise, there is a high probability that the knife will “lead” to the side, and, instead of a straight edge of linoleum, you are guaranteed to get a “fringe” effect along the edge of the cut material.
The choice of tool for cutting linoleum very much depends on the thickness, density of the coating and the complexity of the shape that must be given to the various parts of the material that is used.
A retractable construction knife is better suited for cutting thick types of linoleum, as it has a stronger structure than a clerical one. Although the design principle of this knife is the same, however, the thickness of the blade and the guiding elements are made taking into account the greater load on the cutting surface.
Such a knife will be able to qualitatively cut linoleum of any thickness. The tool itself can be used for other functional tasks when repairing your apartment, but it will not always allow you to accurately cut the coating for parts of the material that are installed end-to-end. Uneven seams can be conspicuous.
The flooring knife is a very durable and easy-to-use tool that allows you to cut any type of flooring used for flooring. However, its technical design will allow high-quality cutting of material only in a straight line.
The linoleum cutting knife is a specialized tool with a fixed curved blade designed for cutting linoleum of any available density. If it is on sale, then it is better to opt for it. It is a knife equipped with a front-loading retractable blade and several working positions.
How to cut linoleum
If you decide to start making changes in your apartment, starting them from the kitchen, then you will definitely need to change or lay linoleum. The modern quality of materials allows you to use linoleum in the corridor or hall.
Having made the necessary measurements, you will be faced with the task of cutting the material correctly. The appearance of the final work on the improvement of the floor of your premises will depend on the quality and accuracy of cutting.
Most often, linoleum sellers offer you to purchase a special knife when purchasing material. Those who have not encountered the features of cutting this finishing material mistakenly assume that this operation can be performed using improvised tools, the list of which includes knives (kitchen, pen, stationery), scissors (gardening, tailors), etc.
The cutting technique of linoleum itself also affects the quality of the connection of its individual parts. The easiest and most common way to cut the material in the same way to eliminate gaps in the joints is to overlap the edge of one piece of linoleum when cutting. Cut both pieces of material at the same time, then you can avoid gaps with a width of 1 mm or more.
The inaccuracy of the joints between the parts of the linoleum will lead to the accumulation of dirt in the crevices, which will lead to rapid wear and the violation of the integrity of the entire coating. This cutting technique requires increased attention to the quality of the cutting surface, since any mistake made during this process will damage both pieces of material, and, as a result, increased labor or financial costs.
How to properly cut linoleum?
When cutting linoleum, we will need other tools: a square, rulers of different lengths, a spatula with teeth. The procedure for cutting and laying linoleum:
To level the coating, linoleum must be rolled out and left to level for a while.
It is necessary to cut material blanks taking into account the allowances for cutting and shrinkage of the coating (from 2 to 6 cm, depending on the length of the material).
After cutting the linoleum into ready-made pieces, they must be left for 4-5 days in the form of a stack of sheets, for full straightening.
After straightening, it is necessary to arrange the pieces of linoleum on the floor and where it is necessary to fit, cutting off small pieces of the coating at the locations of protrusions, pipes and other communications, pre-marking on thick paper, which will be used when cutting the coating as a template.
How to measure, cut and install Linoleum floors Part 1 of 3
You can adjust the dimensions of the covering directly on the floor if there are no additional protrusions in the room and the room has the correct shape.
Cut linoleum at the base of the corners should be “V-shaped”, pressing it to the floor with a ruler or corner, cut along a ruler.
When using linoleum with a complex visible pattern, perform face-up cutting operations to evaluate the quality of the joint pattern of the applied coating.
Linoleum should be cut along a long line, starting from one side of the wall.
After cutting the first piece, secure the edge of the cut material with any heavy object. Mark a seam line over the finished piece. Place the next piece on the finished piece, cut both along the intended mowing line, butt the new piece back to back.
High-quality raw material, the right tool, precise cutting of the coating, linoleum installation end-to-end and a good fit when the material shrinks will bring you maximum satisfaction with the work performed, and the room will sparkle with new colors. The new coating of your floor also depends not only on the tool you choose, but also on the patience when cutting the linoleum.