The lawnmower does not pump gas. The gasoline trimmer likes it clean.
The device of the carburetor of a gasoline grass trimmer
Adjusting a brushcutter carburetor is a process that must be mastered for the grass trimmer to work fully. Grass trimmer is a completely uncomplicated device, which can break only in a few places and require mechanical repair or replacement of the part. Adjusting the device of the carburetor of a float-type brushcutter may require knowledge of certain subtleties. The nuances due to the model and the specifics of its functioning will ensure a clear mode of mixing and feeding the fuel mixture.
Champion lawn mower carburetor, how to adjust? This is just a float-type grass trimmer. a common option, designed to mix in the prescribed proportions of air and fuel. The main problems that arise during the operation of the motor, are approximately similar to the problems that overtake the carburetor in the car:
- the engine can stop right after it is started. The reason is that not enough gasoline is being supplied. This is called “poor” fuel;
- Excessive gasoline leads to incomplete combustion, excessive mixture density and uneconomical consumption.
Important! You have to regulate the carburetor under different circumstances: a change in temperature, octane number of fuel or type of oil, after winter or the end of the running-in period, load or spontaneous turning of the screws due to strong vibrations of the body. Some owners prefer to tune the module before each use to make sure it works properly.
Faults in the carburetor of a brushcutter or grass trimmer, despite the relative ease of fixing them, sometimes require a long search by the method of elimination. The main causes are as follows:
The most recurring failure is wear, rupture of the diaphragm. As a consequence, its loose. Fuel passages are not sealed at certain stages of the engine cycle. The reasons here are as follows:
- You have been working on your brushcutter or trimmer for too long without stopping;
- The fuel used is of inferior quality;
- Exhaust gases enter the impulse line.
A deformed diaphragm carries several bad consequences:
- Not enough gasoline or oxygen in the fuel mixture;
- Engine start-up occurs after 10 or more failed attempts;
- Engine knocks, clangs when running, etc. д.;
- The operating piston becomes deformed.
Read How much citric acid per liter jar of cucumbers
Causes of a clogged strainer are poor quality fuel, damage to the hose and/or discharge head.
Wear of the lever’s contact surface is the consequence of insufficiently refined fuel, which contains grains of sand, clay or metal particles or other inclusions insoluble in liquid hydrocarbons. There is a problem with the fuel injection, the engine without load is functioning intermittently.
Inlet needle breaks because of metal particles and stone in the gasoline. The result is that the inlet needle seat does not seat tightly and the fuel-air mix leaks. There is too much air in the combustible mixture created by the carburetor, which can cause the engine to “sneeze” during operation. Finally, the needle may be stuck because of poor-quality gasoline, or the unit may have been idle for a long time.
Deposits may collect in the adjusting compartment. The needle does not close the hole completely, and a lot of gasoline enters the fuel chamber. the engine overflows it, possibly flooding the spark plugs, too. Because of this the gasoline-air mixture contains an increased amount of gasoline vapor. Efficiency drops noticeably.
The diaphragm is often deformed (and sometimes ruptured) because the brushcutter or weed trimmer is operated continuously for several hours. If you overdo it, it is more likely that the diaphragm will be damaged. New failures will appear as from the horn of plenty:
- The piston will break;
- the number of unsuccessful start attempts will increase dramatically;
- The fuel mixture will contain too little petrol;
- the producible (thermal) power will drop down drastically.
Adjustment lever seizing up due to improperly installed, unintentional bending. The contacting edge becomes misaligned. It will disrupt the auxiliary injection of gasoline.
The flap is worn out
Throttle and air damper deteriorate because dust, metal particles, etc. are blown into the air stream. д. Damaged flaps look like parts that have been blasted with sand. Damaged flaps cause a decrease in motor efficiency and breakdowns. The piston and cylinder will wear out.
In some cases the filter is not compatible with your brushcutter or trimmer model. In the end, the motor shaft will suffer. its pieces fall into the channels of the engine, from which the piston will be broken.
The springs on the adjusting screws are to blame for the adjustment being too coarse (no precise setting). The brushcutter or grass trimmer may have been made by a brushcutter or trimmer manufacturer with overly thick and stiff springs. Find others can either be found in shops where such equipment is repaired, or purchase from any dealer or an official representative of the company that produced the motor for your trimmer for grass or mechanical grass trimmer mower.
The primer is broken
Primer is a manual mini pump for forcing fuel into the carburetor. To successfully start the motor may need to pump 20 ml of gasoline by hand.
You bought yourself a new gasoline trimmer for the grass and along with it came difficulties. The engine starts up very badly. If a little mowing and then turn it off, then start her “hot” is even greater difficulty than “cold. What to do with it, I can not figure out how to start correctly?
The annotation on starting the brushcutter sounds like this:
3.2. Pump up the fuel with the silicone button (primer), located underneath the carburetor. Clicks need to do as much (in other words, not just a little), as written in the annotation, usually about 8-10.
Hold the throttle lever with the choke button at high revs.
Yank the starter knob 2 to 3 times. The engine should kick in.
If the engine “seized” and stalled, it is necessary to move the air damper to position 1/2.7 and again try to start the engine. If the engine starts, release the throttle and move the air damper to the “open” position. Let’s get to work.
Performing manipulations on fuel pumping you don’t have to be afraid of overflowing it. If this happens, and, as they say, “poured the spark plug”, it is not necessary to unscrew it, rather move the air damper to the “open” position and, holding full throttle, immediately crank the engine with the starter 2-4 times. After that there is an option to start the engine and get to work.
Repair of chain saws with their own hands
Some problems with brushcutter appear because of incorrectly prepared fuel consistency. Each double-stroke engine is lubricated with a special oil (not just any normal engine oil)!) mixed with gasoline. If oil is not mixed with gasoline, the lawnmower will fail quickly. Oil / gasoline are mixed in the proportions indicated in the trimmer’s manual for the grass. As a rule it is 1:40 as it is called 1:50.
Often there is a question: the proportion of 1:50. how much oil and gasoline?
Repair of chain saws with their own hands
Some problems with the brushcutter are caused by incorrectly mixed fuel. The lubrication of two-stroke engines is done with special oil (not conventional motor oil)!) mixed with petrol. If the oil is not mixed with the petrol, the lawnmower will break down very quickly. Oil / gasoline are mixed in the proportion indicated in the annotation grass trimmer. As a rule it is 1:40 as it is also called 1:50.
Often the question arises: the proportion of 1:50. how much oil and gasoline?
Numbers mean the following: one part of oil takes 50 parts of gasoline. From here: 1000 ml (1 liter of gasoline) divided by 50, we get 20 ml, in other words 1:50.
It is of course possible to calculate the composition of fuel consistency (petrol/oil) in all proportions. that to add oil to petrol not “by eye”, of course recommend to take a 20 ml syringe of honey, type oil in it and “inject” it into a container for making fuel consistence.
A small amount of oil mixed with petrol leads to increased wear of the cylinder-piston group. The overproduction of oil in the consistency though not so fatal, but harmful. Sometimes there is a corking of piston rings, sharp formation of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, loss of engine power. In addition, the mesh screen of the muffler gets jammed. Therefore, some users (at the end of the warranty period on the trimmer for grass) advise to dismantle it.
Inspection of lawnmower gearbox and lubrication
Inspection of the gearbox before starting the gasoline grass trimmer should be performed on a regular basis. Lack of or little lubricant increases friction in the gear train, which operates at quite high speeds. As a result, the gears and gears overheat. Gearbox of the brushcutter fails. To prevent the occurrence of such failures during operation and helps regular inspection.
If you find, before starting the gasoline grass trimmer, the insufficient amount of lubricant in the gearbox or its absence in the housing is laid “LITOL”. To do this, unscrew the screw on the bend of the gear housing and pour “LITOL” in an amount of 1-2 ml.
Working with a gasoline trimmer for a long time, every 8-10 hours add grease to the boom gearbox.
Preparing the right fuel mixture
Before you start the new lawn mower engine, you also have to mix the fuel right. As you know for two-stroke engines it is made of special two-stroke oil and gasoline in certain ratios. You can find out the proportions from the instruction manual that came with the tool or on the label of the lubricant. You can also find the recommended fuel and oil type in the manual.
Prepare fuel in small quantities, enough for one cut of grass. Use special plastic canisters or separate glass or metal pots for fuel. It is best to apply oil with a hypodermic syringe.
When getting ready to run in a new lawnmower, many people encounter a problem in the preparation of the fuel mixture. There is a discrepancy between the tool manufacturer’s manual and the engine oil manufacturer’s manual. The first ones recommend a ratio of 1:25. The latter recommends 1:50. Who to Believe? What to do?
According to experts, if the manufacturers write the proportion 1:25 or 1:30 in the instructions to trimmers, then most likely it is either a cheap tool with poor cooling, or the manufacturer does not know what oil the consumer will add. But here it should be understood that an excess of lubricant does not affect the performance of the grass trimmer in the best way. Excess oil does not burn out completely when the engine is running. It cokes and clogs the cylinder and piston.
What to do in this situation when running in a new tool? The ideal is to buy exactly the oil that the mower manufacturer recommends. In the case of running-in engines, when it is not possible to buy the recommended oil, it is best to buy a good Husqvarna two-stroke oil for gasoline-powered tools of the same name. It is not cheap, but it lasts for a long time. It is necessary to stir it as written in the instructions on the jar.
Remember, it is best to use the proportion that the oil manufacturer gives. But it is better to find out by experiment if the fuel proportion is suitable, what is written on the braid. If at the proportion recommended by the manufacturer of the trimmer for grass, the engine is snotting oil and you can see leaks, then the proportion must be increased.
Why the grass trimmer does not start: the main faults and their elimination
As already noted, such situations are typical for trimmers that have been idle for a long period of time. Therefore, after identifying the problem it is necessary to immediately engage in troubleshooting.
Fuel as source of problems
The first step is to check the availability of fuel and its quality. The first step is to make sure that there is fuel in the tank. Those who have purchased a unit recently, often forget that the grass trimmer needs to be refueled. If there is no fuel, the equipment simply will not work.
If there is fuel in the tank, but the grass trimmer does not start, then the owner should check whether it is working properly. In this case, it is recommended to study the manual. If the start is made correctly, the malfunction may be caused by improper mixture quality.
- Oil. It should be special. designed for two-stroke engines. It is not recommended to save on the product, because the service life of the equipment depends on the mixture. Grass trimmers with a four-stroke motor requires pure gasoline, it is not mixed with oil.
- It is necessary to use not only high-quality gasoline, but exactly the brand recommended by the manufacturer of a particular model. If there is no way to know what fuel is needed, it is recommended to choose either AI-95 or AI-92, and the latter gasoline is the favorite, because the former contains additives that react with the two-stroke oil. Other brands are not advised to use.
- Correct preparation of sweep for gasoline trimmer. It was noticed that at first time maximum attention is paid to this stage, but over time, mowers start mixing the composition “by eye”, and this is a serious mistake. The correct petrol to oil ratio is 25:1. You need 40 ml of the second, two-stroke oil per liter of the first. Motor oil intended for the car is not a suitable option, since at high temperature the fluid loses (partially) its lubricating properties.
Correct conditions for storing the fuel mixture are important. To save time, some owners prepare it in advance to use it in the coming weeks. This option is contraindicated, as prepared fuel mixture quickly becomes unusable. The reason: oil precipitation. Both petroleum products lose their properties during such a change. Even re-stirring is not able to restore the original fuel quality. Therefore, it is recommended to prepare a certain volume: 2 liters, no more.
If everything is all right with gasoline and oil, then proceed to the diagnosis. to check the spark plugs.
The spark plug and its condition
At this stage of diagnostics it is necessary to stop in detail. The majority of experienced owners, who are already familiar with the question of why the grass trimmer does not start, first of all check the state of the plug contacts. This element is diagnosed as follows:
- First, the spark plug is unscrewed, then inspected. If the electrodes are in perfect condition, they should have a fouling that resembles a brick color. Wet element, or white, black deposit on the contacts indicates the presence of any malfunction. The pink and red color of the electrodes is proof of a large amount of additives in the fuel. Such a mixture must be replaced.
- If the spark plug is wet, it means that there is unburned fuel in the combustion chamber. It is left in place. Clean the candle contacts, then dry them (burning is prohibited). After this step, the plug is connected to the spark plug.
- Then turn on the ignition, pull the starter knob. When the element is all right, it should give a constant spark. If it is weak or completely absent, then the verdict is one. you need to replace the spark plug.
There is another reason why the grass trimmer does not start. It is a large gap that appeared between the contacts of the spark plug. The normal distance is 0,7-1 mm. To correctly adjust the gap between the electrodes, use special probes.
If you don’t have such a device, you use a folk method. The razor blade is broken, putting its parts together. This “dipstick” is then inserted between the contacts. The ideal is blades that fit snugly.
The problem is in the fuel line and carburettor
If there is a spark, but the grass trimmer still does not show signs of life, then the problem may lie in the fuel supply to the combustion chamber. To make sure that this node is to blame, perform the following actions:
- Pour about 20 ml of fuel into a syringe or fill the cap of a plastic bottle.
- Then, through the spark plug hole, fuel is gently poured into the combustion chamber.
- Replace the spark plug, put the plug on, start the engine.
If the grass trimmer starts, the problem may be in the fuel line and carburetor. When there is no effect from the performed manipulations, the diagnostics continues. check the high-voltage wire. At the slightest suspicion this consumable element is replaced with a new one.
What to do if the grass trimmer engine still refuses to work? In this difficult case, you can follow these recommendations:
- If in doubt about the spark plug and the high-voltage wire, it is better to replace them immediately.
- If when checking a new spark plug the appearance of the spark could not be achieved, then you can almost certainly say that the ignition unit is defective. the coil is out of order.
Checking its serviceability is simple: unscrew the plug, then lean it against the body trimmer for grass. If there is no spark when the starter jerk, or it does not appear every time, then a new coil is required. This element can also be replaced by yourself.
How to avoid most problems?
The work of this seasonal equipment is very influenced by its proper storage. This applies not only to long “rest” in winter, but also to short periods of inactivity. To save yourself and the equipment from problems, you need to adhere to a few simple recommendations.
- Before sending it to a well-deserved rest, the grass trimmer tank is emptied of residual fuel. To get rid of all the oil, start the lawnmower and let it run until the engine stops.
- The first operation after “winter hibernation” is to pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole. Before doing so, move the piston to its extreme position. Such lubrication will facilitate starting and prevent premature wear of parts.
Before you start working with a brushcutter, be sure to check the spark plug and all the main assemblies of the equipment.
There are quite a few reasons why the grass trimmer won’t start. But most of the problems you can find and fix on your own. The main thing. proper diagnosis, attention and sequence of actions. And about how you can cope with the problems, in detail tell the master of the following
Diagnosis and elimination of problems of electric motors
Faults of electric trimmers can be as follows:
You don’t have to take the machine apart to fix these problems.
Just for your information! Before you start the repair, it is important to prepare the necessary tools: a set of screwdrivers, a tester, a soldering iron, an indicator, a set of keys.
If the engine is seriously malfunctioning, you will have to disassemble it. You only have to unscrew a few screws. Once you have access to the motor parts, you need to perform these steps:
- check the degree of wear of the brushes. unusable parts will need to be replaced with new ones;
- test the motor winding. the resistance should be high;
- Check the stator and rotor. to test the rotor winding using a multimeter, measure the resistance: large deviations from the norm indicate malfunction, the absence of resistance on the stator winding also indicates a breakdown (the same way the stator housing is diagnosed).
Tip! Solving problems with faulty electrical components is difficult. It’s often easier to replace them with new parts than to take the time to rewind.
Low RPM problems are common with cheap trimmers. However, if improperly serviced, such hand-held mowers as Huter, Patriot 3055, Echo also suffer from this.
When to call for service
If the machine is under warranty, at the first sign of malfunction you can safely take it to a specialized repair shop. Repairs will be made free of charge, regardless of the nature of the damage, if it occurred through no fault of the owner. In case of engine breakdowns, it is better for a person who is not technically proficient to immediately contact a specialist. In any case, the degree of seriousness of faults with the machine is determined by the user.
Let’s summarize. Both petrol and electric grass trimmers are built for years of reliable service. Most of the problems described above occur because the owner does not pay enough attention to his helper. With strict adherence to the requirements from the manufacturer and regular maintenance the hand mower will work rhythmically and without interruptions.
How to clean and store the tool?
During the operation of the lawnmower keep an eye on the condition of the engine cooling system. The channels in the starter housing, as well as the ribs of the cylinder, should always be clean. If you ignore this requirement and continue to operate your brushcutter, you can cause the engine to fail due to overheating.
Proper care of the petrol mower during operation allows you to use it for several seasons in a row without major repairs
Allow the engine to cool down before cleaning. Take a brush with a soft lint and clean the outside of the dirt. Clean the plastic parts with solvents, including kerosene, or special detergents.
At the end of the summer season the lawnmower has to be prepared for a long period of storage. Drain the fuel mixture from the tank. Then the engine is started in order to deplete the residual fuel in the carburetor. The entire tool is well cleaned of dirt and sent to “winter hibernation”.
As you can see, you can carry out the repair of faults of the household lawnmower quite by your own efforts. Contact the service department in the event of serious faults. The cost of repair has to be weighed against the price of a new lawnmower. It may make more sense to buy a new tool.
What to do if the lawnmower stalls on the gas
Most often, in the periods when the lawnmower stops when adding gas, the cause will be the air damper, or rather, its condition: it is clogged. Structurally, the part is located in the place where the received fuel is atomized behind it, and, accordingly, the product collects all the inclusions in the low-quality gasoline. To fix the problem, you just need to clean it out. The same situation can occur with a clogged filter, but it is eliminated similarly. To summarize, let’s be specific about the reasons that cause the tool to stall when you step on the gas:
- Clogged air damper;
- A clogged fuel filter, and it’s especially noticeable when you step on the gas;
- air is being sucked in by the crankshaft oil seals;
- The gasket between the cylinder and the carburetor is damaged.
When you have cleaned, flushed and blown out the elements, but again the lawnmower stops when you press the throttle
- Malfunction of carburetor proportioning system.
- The appearance of cracks on the fuel hose caused air leakage.
- Problems with oil seals.
In the process of operation there are situations when the lawnmower at high revolutions is subjected to a similar abrupt stop. It occurs for the following reasons:
- due to problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- With an air bleed;
- the fuel intake hose is loose or cracked and unusable;
- The gasoline tank lid valve is stuck or clogged;
- The carburetor is out of tune.
Maintenance of lawn mower cutting units
The saw headset has dulled or worn out over time. Working with the tool becomes strenuous, the load increases, the quality of mowing deteriorates. Metal saw blades are sharpened, plastic ones are replaced.
If the cutting tool is a line for the trimmer, it gradually wears out, and new material is installed in the spool. The principle of the line trimmer is the gradual unrolling of the filament coil by centrifugal force. In contact with grass the line for the trimmer rubs off, from the spool it comes out gradually. A special winding is needed so that the two cutting elements come out simultaneously and do not get tangled with each other.
The illustration shows how to correctly wind the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower reel. Before winding the new line for the trimmer you need to:
- Having unscrewed the nozzle, carefully remove the cover, holding the spring with your hand;
- remove the old line scraps from the spool;
- measure 5 meters of new string and fold it in half;
- in the spool guides under 2 ends, catch the middle part in the notch and wind in the direction of the arrows for each half of the string;
- Feed the remaining 20 cm of line through the notches in the opposite ends of the spool;
- install the spring and washers, guide the line ends outwards and close the drum with the cover.
In order to better understand how to change the line for the trimmer on a gasoline lawnmower, watch the video.