Tightened the nut on the angle grinder how to unscrew
Grinder. How to put on and take off grinding blade without the tool.
How to unscrew and correctly place a disc on an angle grinder
This simple operation sometimes baffles even experienced locksmiths or users of an angle grinder. The reason is that the disc is fixed with a special nut. The nut has 2 or 4 holes, into which a special key is inserted. This key was always included with the purchase of an angle grinder. Perhaps he is now included in the kits.
According to the instructions for the angle grinder, you must press the lock, which is located on the back of the gearbox. When the shaft is fixed, unscrew the nut with a special wrench and change the disc. But it is difficult to unscrew the nut if it is not clamped. And it clamps it with such a nut almost always. An attempt to unscrew the disc leads to breakage of the retainer behind the gearbox.
What to do if a nut is stuck?
A common problem when using an angle grinder is a jammed nut. The first thing to do in such a situation is to determine the direction of rotation of the disc. It is recommended to unscrew the jammed nut in the same direction. There are several most effective ways to solve this problem.
- Use an open-end wrench and socket. To do this, it is necessary to grind off the surface of the open-end wrench by 4 millimeters, which has 17 millimeters. Carve four projections on the head of the end face 24 mm, which will align with the holes of the flange nut. Then an open-end wrench is placed under the disc and the end head is placed on the nut of the angle grinder. After that, the ratchet should be turned in the direction of rotation of the disc.
- Apply a gas wrench. Knowing the laws of physics and using a gas wrench, you can increase the moment of force, since the length of the shoulder will increase.
- Use a puncher. If you set the hammer drill in chiseling mode without the rotation function, then it will work on the principle of a jackhammer. A six-millimeter drill is placed on the flanged end and work begins. Once the nut has moved, it can be easily unscrewed with a special angle grinder wrench.
- Warming up. If the nut is heated with a technical hair dryer or a gas burner, then the metal will become more malleable. You just have to unscrew the nut with a wrench. But during the heating process, care must be taken not to damage the plastic parts and the gearbox.
- Disc breaking is an easy and quick way to unscrew a jammed nut without a wrench. It implies a complete shredding of the disk. For this purpose, it is worth using a hacksaw or pliers. When only the inner ring remains of the abrasive wheel, clamp the unnecessary metal plate in a vice (its thickness should not exceed the thickness of the disc). Next, you need to start an angle grinder and grind off the abrasive to the seat sleeve. Remember to wear protective goggles and gloves when doing this. Then it remains only to unscrew the flange nut by hand.
As you know, diamond is a very hard mineral, so diamond discs can easily cope with red brick, porcelain stoneware, tiles. The main material that is cut with diamond discs is concrete.
Diamonds must be handled with care. the disc does not cut steel, it must not be overheated. After two minutes of cutting concrete, the disc will be very hot. pause
Cooling slots are made around the circumference of the dry cutting blade.
They produce discs for wet cutting of ceramic tiles and porcelain stoneware. Water cools the disc and washes away hazardous dust.
How to change a disc on an angle grinder without a key?
Use the gas wrench
Grasp the nut with an adjustable pipe wrench and loosen it carefully, without applying great force. Disadvantage: you can crush the nut, break the rotation lock
Make a homemade wrench for the angle grinder. To do this, you need a long nail (at least 100 mm). It is necessary to cut off the cap, the point and give the nail a U-shape. It should be bent in such a way that the “tool” stands fall into the holes of the flange. If the nut is tightened tightly, insert any metal bar between the posts of the nail and, grasping it with both hands, rotate the structure in the direction of the circle’s movement. At this time, you need to press and hold the spindle lock button. The method is safe, but it takes time and additional tools. a hacksaw, a vice, a hammer.
Tapping with a chisel. Before changing the disc, you can treat the spindle shaft with WD-40 fluid and wait at least 15 minutes. Then place the tip of a thin chisel at an angle to the hole of the flange nut and gently tap on the entire surface of the hole with a metal hammer. Sooner or later, thanks to gentle tapping, the nut will slip off, and it will be possible to unscrew it manually. The disadvantage of this method is that you can damage the holes and spoil the flange.
A stuck angle grinder nut is solved by Louise Wells
Heat the nut. If it is difficult to unscrew the nut of the angle grinder by hand, you can heat it up a little with a gas burner or autogenous machine. Unscrew the flange with gloves so as not to burn yourself. This is the most risky of the proposed methods. Can overheat bearings and oil in angle grinder gearbox.
Finally, I would like to mention a few important points regarding replacing a disc on an angle grinder.
- The angle grinder must be fitted with wheels of the correct size. It is necessary to strictly observe safety precautions and in no case remove the protective cover in order to install a disc of a larger diameter. When choosing a disc, you need to take into account the model of the power tool, its power, spindle speed.
- Due to the disc rotating at high speed, work hardening forms on the guard of the angle grinder. Therefore, when changing a disc, remove and clean the casing.
- In some models of grinders, washers are provided so that the disc does not get stuck between the flanges. At least the support flange can be fitted with a rubber washer. Instead of factory fasteners, you can cut cardboard, rubber or plastic spacers. 2 gaskets need to be used: between the support flange and the disc, between the disc and the nut.
- Do not forget: if the circle rotates clockwise, then the nut is also unscrewed clockwise and tightened counterclockwise.
- If you don’t want to buy a new wrench, install a Bosch quick-locking nut on the angle grinder. you can easily unscrew it by hand.
The main thing is that when changing a disc on an angle grinder, do not violate safety precautions and perform all manipulations with the tool turned off from the network.
The essence of the problem
There is no problem with idle rotation of the cut-off wheel, especially if the wheel is relatively light and the tool has a soft start function.
After a set of revolutions at the moment of contact of the cutting disc with the surface to be processed, the following chain of instant actions occurs:
- The disc, meeting enormous resistance of the material being processed, loses speed, that is, it slows down.
- The rotor of the engine for the first moments continues to rotate by inertia at the same speed and pulls the gears of the reducer, which carry the spindle along.
- The thread of the spindle head is screwed more strongly into the lock nut, which is pressed into the cut-off wheel.
That’s it, an abnormal situation has appeared (excessive tightening of the corkscrew nut), which is caused by the following factors:
- Large diameters of cut-off wheels.
- High power electric motor.
- The massiveness of the rotor.
- Large depth of cut (working load).
Unscrewing the nut securing the cutting disc is now difficult.
The main question: How to choose the right disc for an angle grinder?
When choosing accessories for an angle grinder, first of all, you should decide on the type of proposed work. The choice of the type of disc will depend on this. We also want to mention that when choosing a consumable, be sure to take into account the power characteristics of each specific model. Examine the labeling. Often, it is printed on the disc itself and includes a set of symbols by which you can determine the relevance of this consumable to perform the intended work.
Also, focus your attention on such a parameter as the diameter of the disc. In no case should it exceed the size of the protective cover on the particular tool model.
The size range of discs is usually represented by the following diameters: 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 mm. The most common diameters are 125 mm. and 230 mm. They are optimal for most types of work and the capabilities of the tool itself.
Among the grinding discs based on bakelite, the most popular discs with a thickness of 6.00 mm. This parameter depends on the total diameter of the disc. The relationship is as follows: the larger the diameter of the disc, the greater its thickness and vice versa.
Types of discs for an angle grinder: how to choose the right one
The industry manufactures angle grinders and discs for them in standard sizes: 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 mm. an angle grinder from 180 mm is used for cutting stone. The most common size of machines for home and summer cottages is 125 mm; the most discs and attachments are produced for them.
We offer to divide discs according to their purpose: cutting, grinding, sharpening and roughing. Let’s consider in detail each type.
how too Remove a stuck grinder disk 100% works hack
How to unscrew a disc (nut) on an angle grinder, if it is bitten, jammed, does not unscrew ?
an angle grinder, or as it is called more popularly and in a popular way, an angle grinder, nowadays an indispensable and very useful tool. Without it, neither here nor there! And if it suddenly fails, then you have to dodge in every possible way, look for alternatives and think about restoring the instrument. At the same time, it is impossible to use an angle grinder for its intended purpose because of what seems to be a simple pad, when the disc cannot be unscrewed. Rather, the nut that holds this disc is not unscrewed. Here you can “break the wood”, namely, bend or break the key, damage the lock button, break the case, but never unscrew that same unfortunate nut. So, we will warn you right away, if it’s not too late If you suddenly do not unscrew the nut holding the disc with a key, then you need to change tactics. And it is precisely the cardinal method of unscrewing that our article will be devoted.
Why bites the nut on the angle grinder that holds the disc
I will say, perhaps, a well-known truth. He bites nuts more often on grinders with a disc size of a significant size, say 150-180 mm or more. The thing is that the resulting torque, in the case of a disk impact at the time of the beginning of cutting, is much greater than for a disk, say 125 mm. As a result, the nut is tightened by inertia so much that it is very difficult to break it in the usual and usual ways. Now about the special ways.
How to unscrew the disc nut of an angle grinder (angle grinder) if bitten
So, if there is no way with the key, even if you insert it and hit it slightly with a hammer, then we begin to use something more serious.
The first thing you can try, but again without fanaticism, is to take a rod, insert it into the holes on the nut and, using a hammer, move the nut in the direction of its untwisting. The main thing here is not to break the button and not to rip the holes, as here
The second thing that many advise is to warm the nut. We warm up the nut. As a result, it is slightly, but physically still obliged to expand. Resizing may or may not help
Do not pull all the way until the scroll hold button stopper or the button itself bursts. In this case, it is not the tool with which you unscrew it that breaks, but often the case of the angle grinder.
The third method is the most effective, and, oddly enough, one of the safest for the angle grinder itself. We take and break off the edges of the disc along the nut.
Next, we use a thin metal plate or another disc (thinner), and maybe a second angle grinder with a disc. In this case, the broken disc must be turned either with a plate or a disc. We try to sharpen the disc so as not to damage the nuts holding this disc, because they will still be useful to us. So we sharpen the whole broken circle until we grind it off and the nut is unscrewed.
If you will be using a second disc or metal plate, it is best to insert them in a vise to hold them. Since it is dangerous to hold such objects with your hands. This method is the most effective.!
How to avoid biting a nut and disc on an angle grinder
And a few words about preventing such unpleasant precedents again. You can use small cardboard spacers by inserting them between the disc and the nut. As a last resort, we use a disc of a smaller diameter, unless, of course, the nut is tightened from above. As a result, it will be possible to unscrew such a nut without any problems. It will not be squeezed, for a bite on the carving.
And another small video about a problem that I studied on my own experience.
Unscrew and tighten the nuts
It is possible to tighten or unscrew the large nut on the mixer even if the thread on it has already been torn off as a result of unsuccessful dismantling attempts. There are several ways to solve this problem:
- The head of the hardware is clamped in a carpenter’s vice or clamp and with their help, performing rotational movements, the problem hardware is unscrewed. The same tools can be used to tighten the hardware if necessary.
- On top of the horizontally located hardware, a nut with a large diameter is put on with effort, and then this structure is unscrewed with a tool suitable for the size of the upper fastener.
In the case when you need to unscrew a round hardware or hardware, in which all the edges are completely smoothed, you can apply the following methods:
- Put another hex nut of the appropriate diameter over the round hardware. Next, you need to clamp the nut with a vise or clamp and unscrew the hardware.
- Place another larger auxiliary nut over the round screw nut. At the junction of the nuts, drill a hole into which to insert a stud or drill. Next, the nut must be unscrewed with a hairpin.
- A metal pin is welded to one side of the hex fastener, then another pin is welded to the pin. so that an L-shaped lever is obtained. Using the resulting lever, unscrew the hardware.
In some cases, you can unscrew the problem hardware by destroying it:
- With the help of a chisel and a hammer, you can swing the problem hardware. The chisel is placed on the edge of the nut and a hammer is struck on the chisel. So alternately pass all the edges several times.
- If you drill several holes in the hardware, then using a chisel with a hammer you can destroy its structure.
- The fastener is cut with a cutting disc of an angle grinder or cut with a hacksaw blade for metal.
Sometimes it is necessary to unscrew a tightly wrapped plastic nut. In this case, the following manipulations will help:
- With the help of a steel tape, which is tightly wrapped around the head of the nut, a rotational movement is performed using the ends of the tape as a handle.
- 2 wooden planks are pressed to the edges of the hardware, placing them opposite each other. Grasping the ends of the planks with your hands, rotate counterclockwise.
- To unscrew / twist, you can use an adjustable gas wrench or pliers jaws, spread apart in different directions.
You can screw the hardware with a simple device:
- take a long auxiliary bolt and screw a nut onto it;
- next to it, another one is screwed in, but a gap is left between the nuts, into which the head of another screwed bolt or nut is placed;
- both hardware are tightened on an auxiliary bolt so that they firmly clamp the head of the mount to be mounted;
- then perform rotary movements in the direction of twisting.
When the procedure is complete, the fasteners on the auxiliary bolt are unscrewed and the device removed. This method is also suitable for the process of loosening the nuts.
To unscrew the hardware, you can choose a hand tool from those that are available. The following items are suitable for this purpose.
- A standard short open-end wrench and a few coins, for placing them between the horn and the side of the hardware. When creating such a metal gasket, you can unscrew a nut of a much smaller diameter with a large wrench.
- Box wrench with extended handle. Such a tool will help to unscrew even stuck or rusty nuts, since the large lever allows you to apply significant effort when unscrewing.
- A collar with internal teeth, but during operation, the teeth can be wrinkled, therefore, with such a tool you can unscrew / tighten only not very tightened hardware.
To understand in which direction you need to rotate the mount, you need to look at the connection from the side. in this case, you can see the direction of the thread of the thread. To loosen, rotate in the direction where the thread rises. In addition to the tool, you can unscrew the hardware on the plumbing pipe without a key or without pliers, tighten the nut on an angle grinder.
Before you unscrew the problem hardware, you need to assess its condition and see what tools are available to complete this task. Manipulations should be performed with considerable effort, but at the same time, care must be taken not to rip off the edges of the nut or break the improvised devices.
To unscrew the problem hardware was easier, especially when unscrewing a stuck or rusty fastener, it is recommended to apply WD-40 aerosol lubricant, pour a little kerosene or gasoline. After removing the rust, a small amount of machine oil is poured onto the work surface.
What are the ways to unscrew a tightened nut on an angle grinder?
Replacing the disc in reverse rotation
This method has several advantages. it can be carried out without a key and with a broken spindle lock. Beginners in working with an angle grinder mistakenly believe that if the stopper is broken, it is almost impossible to unscrew the nut. However, this is not the case. Don’t even need keys.
The bottom line is that the abrasive wheel needs to be rotated in different directions. Wearing thick gloves, you need to hit the cutting edge of the circle several times. This is what you will provide variable movement in different directions. As a rule, a couple of sharp blows are enough so that the nut can be easily unscrewed.
Open-end wrench and socket head
In this case, the existing standard tools will have to be slightly modified. a 17 mm open-end wrench and a 24 mm socket. The key thickness is grinded down to 4 mm. 4 protrusions are machined on the head, falling into the holes of the fixing nut.
After preparation, the key is placed in the space under the disc, and the head is put on the flange of the angle grinder and rotated in the direction opposite to the rotation of the wheel. After that, it can be easily removed and replaced with a new one.
With a nail
For these purposes, a 100 mm nail is best suited. It should be bent into a U-shape so that the ends fit freely into the holes of the clamping flange. The tip and cap are removed. By inserting a nail into the holes, the retainer is unscrewed. If the efforts of the hands are not enough, then add a nail or screwdriver in the form of a lever.
Nut jammed. how to unscrew?
Removing a disc on an angle grinder, if bitten, is not so easy, especially without damaging the cutting element or tool. We will also consider several options.
They have excellent bearing characteristics, but their use is not always justified. The fact is that they are prone to metal corrosion. Yes, and the thermal conductivity of such products is very high, so there is a need for additional insulation. However, before you make steel lintels over the windows in a house made of aerated concrete, you should take into account some of the nuances:
- before laying, it is advisable to cover the corners with paint on all sides;
- for fixing, the profiles are fastened with a wire tie or welding;
- the corners do not protrude from the wall, they are mounted in aerated concrete;
- before installation, the corners are wrapped with a plaster mesh to ensure adhesion to the plaster.