Trimmer Does Not Work At Idle
Why does the petrol trimmer stall
A scythe with a gasoline drive is a useful thing for owners of home gardens, lawns, and when the trimmer suddenly stalls, the work to clear the area from grass stops. The device itself is a rather complex mechanism, so there are many different reasons for its breakdown. The most common problems are contained in the operating instructions. You should know the reasons why the trimmer stalls in order to effectively repair the device yourself.
When you press the gas
If, when you press the gas, the petrol cutter stops, then the reasons may be as follows.
- The most common variant is carburetor adjustment failure, which occurs when the drive is under significant stress, after prolonged inactivity of the mechanism, or when it is used in difficult conditions.
- Clogging of the fuel valve, which is eliminated by loosening it, as a result of which gasoline begins to flow normally through the system.
- Loosening and drooping of the cable in the carburetor. The fuel hose can also be stretched to the point of rupture due to significant stress.
- Clogged breather (non-return valve), as a result of which fuel does not flow into the tank.
If the problem is related to the carburetor unit, then it can be recognized by the appearance of vibrations of the brushcutter. When the hose bursts or the cable is stretched, these components are replaced.
The brushcutter often stops when it heats up. At the same time, it starts, works with jerks and gradually stops. This process occurs when the gasoline in the carburetor boils or the damper is installed in a rotary rather than disc type. In the latter case, the part is changed.
It happens that the trimmer heats up if the ignition circuit wire or coil is damaged. In order for the device to start working normally, parts are replaced.
Immediately after wound up
The unit may stall immediately after starting if the carburetor is misaligned or incorrectly adjusted, this causes an uneven fuel supply. The result of this is that the device vibrates distinctly. For troubleshooting, the carburetor is reconfigured, following the instructions for the mechanism.
Also, the engine stops when the fuel supply valve becomes clogged. In such cases, it is sufficient to simply clean it. If the brushcutter first worked, but then immediately stalled, then perhaps the fuel enters the carburetor unit with some difficulty. Weakening the valve helps to resolve the issue, which ensures free circulation of the mixture in the system.
The stoppage can also be caused by air leakage in the presence of mechanical damage to the hose (holes, cracks) that takes the fuel. In this case, add more revolutions to the drive in order to quickly expel air bubbles from the system.
At idle, common reasons for stopping the trimmer are as follows:
- Dirt, misalignment or incorrectly adjusted carburetor adjustment;
- Clogged air filter;
Replacing the air filter of brushcutters
Trimmer air filter
- Reducing the speed of the gearbox when it heats up, which is a consequence of the use of an unsuitable fuel mixture;
- Clogged throttle;
- Air ingress into the system;
- Not enough fuel to operate the petrol cutter.
At high revs
When the scythe stalls at high speeds, this is due to the following problems:
- Clogging or sticking of the valve located on the gas tank cap;
- The carburetor is out of alignment under the influence of vibrations arising during the operation of the mechanism;
- Problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- Suction of atmospheric air;
- The fuel intake hose is cracked or loose.
Adjust the carburetor according to the trimmer operating instructions. For adjustment, it is often sufficient to loosen the tightening of its housing. If there are problematic points with the circulation of the fuel mixture, then it can gradually enter the carburetor. After its development, the engine stalls at high speeds.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gasoline streamer, check the presence and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). Prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its amount based on real needs. Excess gasoline left over after work loses its quality over time.
We carry out diagnostics of a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the brushcutter stalls when starting, then a flooded candle may be the cause. Here, for repairs, an ordinary candle wrench is suitable (every motorist probably has) and a spare candle.
- We unscrew the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not ignite);
- We drain the excess fuel in the chamber through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- We clean the old candle from carbon deposits using a file or a lady’s file;
- We expose a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We put everything back in place and try to start the trimmer.
If the candle is working, the socket where it is located is completely dry, and the petrol cutter does not want to start, lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp. No matter how wonderful a spark the candle may give out, there is simply nothing to ignite in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, you should exclude such a reason as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire. If the connection is good and there is still no spark, most likely your ignition unit has flown. Here it will not be possible to do without a master, since the part is not repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Diagnostics of filters for petrol cutters
Another reason why the gasoline scythe stalls is the air filter. To eliminate it, try removing the filter and starting the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow through and thoroughly clean the old one.
The petrol trimmer may not start if the fuel filter is dirty. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can turn into repairing the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust port
Often, delicate branded petrol brushes do not start and stall due to a dirty breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. When this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, preventing the supply of fuel. You can eliminate the malfunction by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of streamers with internal combustion engines can be disrupted due to dirt entering the exhaust channel or a clogged silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older generation models. The issue can be resolved by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark grid.
Complex reasons for the failure of petrol cutters
If the step-by-step troubleshooting algorithm does not work, and your scythe still does not start or stalls, it is worth inspecting the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for erratic tool performance. There are three main problems here:
- Clogged ducts or nozzles. All this is cleaned by special washes or blown by a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wires, as the bore may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Exit replacement of a failed gasket;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing it with a suitable pressure gauge. Watch the readings: if they do not change everything is fine, but if the pressure starts to drop, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the petrol trimmer may not start due to wear of the piston group. If chips, scratches or scuffs are found, the piston or cylinder should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory checks. A small backlash of the piston when rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. It is best to entrust this procedure to the specialists of the service center.
Why the petrol cutter won’t start troubleshooting
Caring for the personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the petrol cutter does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of a useful unit in the country needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- How to start diagnostics of brushcutters
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We carry out diagnostics of a candle and a candle channel
- Diagnostics of filters for petrol cutters
- Breather and exhaust port
- Complex reasons for the failure of petrol cutters
- Rules for the operation and storage of petrol cutters