What is a disk for an angle grinder made of?
A second life for an old diamond disc
A worn diamond disc for concrete or tile can be converted to a universal tool that can cut plexiglass, laminate, board, plywood, drywall and other materials. The resulting cut-off wheel is safe, which distinguishes it from hard edged circular saw blades. Only an angle grinder and a drill will be needed for the remodel.
To ensure that the resharpened old disk has no runout, you need to draw a precise contour for sharpening. If the symmetry is not respected, there will be imbalance and the angle grinder will be tossed later. It is optimal to print out a stencil with the outlines of a universal disk, and carry out grinding of the old disk on it.
The template can be downloaded below the video. https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=1yKEZBgGUz8Weary disc should be wiped off rust and dust, smeared with dry clerical glue and glued with a stencil. The template should be oriented towards the mounting hole.
Then an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel cuts off the protruding parts of the disk. It is necessary to grind the remnants of metal with a scraping disk, reaching the edges of the stencil. Since the metal is not hardened, everything can be cut quickly and easily.
After shaping, you need to drill the holes on the disk according to the notches in the stencil. It is enough to use a 6-8 mm drill bit. Next, you need to undercut the disk to the holes, thereby obtaining the 4 teeth. It is better to cut under a small positive angle, so the formed teeth will be able to quickly burrow into the materials.
It is necessary to set the teeth of the circular saw blade to avoid jamming. If you plan to work only with wood, it is worth diluting more. It is optimum if the width of the resulting cut is 4 mm wider than the disc cross section.
The next step is to sharpen the teeth. An angle of 3 to 6 degrees, like crosscut saws, would be ideal. If so, the edge will be more resistant to hard materials and will not rub off in a couple of minutes. If you need to dissolve boards lengthwise, then the angle should be increased to 15-25 degrees.
The beauty of the universal disk is that its teeth do not hold sharpening for a long time, but they do not fly out. If you need to file a board in a hard to reach place, the tool is perfect. The disk can even make a chisel in the wood. Its teeth are quickly sharpened, and if you put the wheel backwards and saw backwards, the angle grinder barely jumps. It’s a good alternative to a commercial tool for small domestic tasks.
Is the angle grinder designed to work with wood
“An angle grinder was not originally designed for sawing wood, especially not for thick wood and hardwood. This is due to the design features of this type of tool and the associated dangers of such use:
Important! Saw blade jamming when using an “angle grinder” to cut wood is the most common problem with this type of work due to the softness and toughness of wood.
- The structural heterogeneity of wood, caused by knots in the wood, can cause damage to the saw blade being used and injure the user.
Using special wheels and following safety rules, the probability of injury can be reduced to zero, even when sawing products made of lumber
Despite the potential dangers of using the angle grinder as a tool for sawing wood products, manufacturers of consumables, which include discs for “angle grinder” produce such products.
220 Volt tool sizing specialist
“For processing workpieces of considerable thickness and when used professionally, it is most correct to use a tool originally designed for sawing wood, which are circular and circular saws”.
The main and most common uses of “angle grinder” when working with wood are: its stripping, grinding and polishing, for which manufacturers produce special types of disks.
Комментарии и мнения владельцев (1)
Hello! The article is definitely useful. Since I had to use a wood cutting disc with an angle grinder. While the blade was new it cut the wood well, but then with a deeper cut, the wood smoked. External inspection revealed that there is no tooth camber, which causes the wood smoke and disc clamping. How to use a disc, we need to think. Thanks for your article! Sincerely Vasily.
Discs designed for different types of use differ in their design and the materials used in their manufacture. In this regard, different types of such products have different general characteristics, which requires them to be considered separately.
Circular wheel for angle grinder wood, 125 mm
There are several types in this category of products:
- Circular saw blades. considered “dangerous” saw blades;
- Chain saws. made with chainsaw links;
- with a small number of teeth. are the safest, in comparison with their circular counterparts;
- Tungsten carbide.the safest type for this kind of tool.
A chain saw blade can be used for both sawing and skinning
For your information! Circular discs come in two modifications: a “dangerous” and a “less dangerous” version. The distinctive feature of the “less dangerous” type models is the anti-jamming protection provided by the tooth bend.
Chainsaw modifications are less dangerous to use, t.к. They are designed with a non-fixed saw chain fit on the surface of the disc.
220 Volt Tool Selection Specialist
“If the saw chain jams during its use, the disk attached to the angle grinder continues to rotate, the tool is not torn from the hands, giving it an emergency stop”.
Blades with a low number of teeth can cut wood along or across the grain
Discs with a low number of teeth are of two types:
- with 3 teeth. are used with small “lathes” up to 150 mm in diameter;
- 4-toothed. used on large sized face saws up to 230 mm diameter.
A distinctive feature of the tungsten carbide models is the absence of teeth on the cutting surface of the product. the cutting element are segments arranged on the circumference of the disc.
Important! Tungsten carbide models are able to saw through various metal products (nails, self-tapping screws, etc.).д.), which can find themselves in the workpiece without damage to the cutting elements and their integrity.
Appearance of a tungsten carbide disc mounted on an angle grinder
For roughing wooden products manufacturers produce several types of nozzles, differing in design and types of materials used in their manufacture.
A scraping disk with crumbling on its surface
Such nozzles can be designed as:
- disc with spikes or splinters on its surface;
- The “angle grinder” has a tumbler with twisted wire cutting elements inserted around its circumference;
- disc with wire coils mounted on the disc surface.
Technical director of repair and construction
“Roughing nozzles are used to remove paint and other coatings applied to a wooden surface, as well as to roughen a leveled wooden surface.”.
accessories for “angle grinder”, which have in their construction elements of twisted wire
Models for grinding and polishing
For sanding and polishing, there are special sanding and polishing accessories for wood and other materials (metal, plastic, glass, etc.).д.).
Set of polishing accessories for angle grinder (125mm) Zubr model “3591-125-H7”
There are two types of nozzles used for this purpose:
- the basis of the design is a metal base fixed to the shaft of the angle grinder, and grinding discs made of sandpaper of different grit sizes or polishing materials (felt, fabric, etc.).д.), which, in turn, are attached to the base with the help of “Velcro”;
- flap wheel.
Petal sanding discs are available in different grains, which allows you to pick up the right one for a particular type of processing
Make sure you work safely
Each power tool comes with a safety manual. But the main rules should be remembered:
- Do not change the wheel until the tool has been de-energized;
- It is necessary to use a protective cover when cutting metal;
- Wearing safety glasses and gloves is a must;
- you cannot use the cutting wheel for grinding and the grinding wheel for cutting;
- Do not use the unit near flammable materials because of the appearance of sparks.
It is necessary to keep in mind that while cutting, the disk should rotate so that sparks fly on the master, so the angle grinder will not be able to bounce on his head if the disk will jam.
Proper metal cutting for economical use of abrasive. The abrasive will be consumed more slowly if the metal is cut according to the following rules:
- long workpieces should be cut at the edge, if the work will be done between the points of support, the wheel will jam when the cut is compressed;
- You can only start cutting when the wheel has reached its highest RPM;
- Pressure adjustment should be carried out by feeling the load on the nozzle. When the RPM is reduced, you need to loosen the force, when it is increased, the force should also become greater;
- you need to enter the metal smoothly;
- If the material is complex, you can make reciprocating movements at the point where the head touches metal;
- Angle should be cut in 2 steps, each side in turn. The same way you should cut the profile;
- pauses in work are necessary (5-10 minutes).
It is necessary to use water to water the place of the cut, but it is necessary to make sure that moisture does not get into the body of the electric tool.
What discs for angle grinders are available?
Angle grinder is actively used in professional construction and household. It provides users with a large number of benefits, but the functionality of the angle grinder is largely determined by what elements of equipment will be involved. Removable nozzles are available in a large range, they differ in purpose, shape, size and material. In this article, the master plumber will tell you what are the discs for the angle grinder.
Discs for angle grinder are replaceable elements. Performing work with different materials, it is necessary to understand their types. This helps you to achieve the quality of the required operation. The circles are classified according to the following parameters:
- By designation;
- Type of work performed;
- Type of cutting;
- The material of manufacture;
According to their intended use, there are nozzles for metal, wood, stone, concrete, marble, etc. д. Manufacturers indicate the intended use in the markings directly on the product itself. Many varieties are universal tools, suitable for processing several types of materials.
According to the type of work performed circles to the angle grinder are:
- Cut-off wheels. They are designed to make cuts, rough cuts, etc. п. Cutting discs have a cutting edge that is a solid circle or divided into segments.
- Saws. Cutting edge has teeth. An angle grinder is used for trimming many types of wood and wood substitutes. To do the job, you need a saw blade. This type of wheels is designed to make a smooth, clean cut of solid board, plywood, parquet, drywall. It is suitable for laminate, fiberboard, particle board (including laminated), as well as selection of grooves in gas silicate.
- Roughing (sanding discs). Such nozzles remove old paint, varnish, primer and perform grinding from the treated surface.
- Stripping. It is a kind of roughing. Metal disc brushes are referred to such tools. They can remove rust and other stubborn dirt They also belong to the stripping. Blade wheel is used in the processing of products made of metal, wood, plastics, stripping welds and burrs, removal of rust, etc. п. Petal disk for angle grinder consists of overlapping plates fixed in a circle, on the principle of the flower petals. Varieties: end, batch, with mandrel. The flap wheel on the angle grinder is designed for work at an angle or for conventional flat. There are two subspecies of it. straight and tapered. The straight paddle disc is needed for grinding large areas. Tapered petal discs are suitable for filleting joints, seams, etc. п. Packet disk petal (folded) is also suitable for work on a large area. Deburring discs with a mandrel for angle grinder are used when working with cavities. They help to achieve the greatest accuracy of machining.
- For cutting seams. They are used for joints in concrete, asphalt, etc. п. With these attachments, the grinder is also suitable for this work.
- Polishing discs. These discs are used for fine polishing. These include polishing interchangeable felt and felt tips for angle grinder with Velcro, as well as an emery wheel.
Disks to the angle grinder are made from several different materials. Each has its own characteristics. Types of wheels for angle grinders:
. They are made of steel, which is coated with a diamond coating. This type of nozzles cuts and grinds any metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone (including granite and marble), ceramics, glass. The diamond saw blade for angle grinders provides the thinnest cut. Make small cuts. A new kind of diamond bits. polishing discs on flexible basis (“turtles”). Their surface has a grooved structure in the form of a turtle shell (hence the name). Flexible diamond discs are mounted on a base. hard rubber nozzle with Velcro.
- Carbide. Wheels of this type are also made of metal. They are brazed around the edges with high-carbon molybdenum steel, with chromium and nickel fillers. They are used mainly for cutting metals, less often for wood. The angle grinder is suitable for many metals. There are carbide discs specifically designed for thin, high-carbon, stainless steel, aluminum.
- Abrasive. The base is a dense, waterproof latex paper with a reinforcing mesh or fiber. A layer of abrasive material. aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide or corundum particles. is deposited on it. Resin or polymer is used as a bonding agent for the abrasive. The fibre sanding disc on the angle grinder is used in conjunction with a support plate made of plastic or rubber. It serves as a stop and cools the abrasive. Abrasive wheels are used as cutting, scraping or scraping-off wheels. Fibre wheel is suitable for wood, concrete, non-ferrous metals and ferrous metals. The abrasives used are zirconate or aluminum oxide, ceramic grit. The fibre wheel is ideal for roughly removing old paint from walls, facades and other surfaces.
- Stripper is made of metal wire. Disk brushes of this material are used for removing rust and other types of hard plaque.
Petal disc for angle grinder. purpose, types, manufacturers
Circle flap end (CLT). Almost everyone who even occasionally holds an angle grinder (angle grinder) is familiar with it. The wheel is successfully used in the tasks of repair, in small shops and, of course, in most industries related to metalworking. In this article, the master plumber will tell you where the petal wheel is used, and what are its advantages.
The flap disc is the most common tool used for surface finishing.
Its structure is similar to that of an ordinary grinding wheel, the main difference being the arrangement of working segments along the edge in the form of petals.
They provide grinding and other processing of flat and concave surfaces.
Petal circles are suitable for working with the following materials:
Processing surfaces with abrasives involves such work:
- Grinding of the welding seam;
- Product turning;
- Removal of metal burrs;
- Smoothing of sharp edges;
- Round grinding;
- Flat sanding;
- Final polishing;
- Dry and wet machining.
The petal wheel can be used productively for a long period of time, as the base of the working segment abrades at the same time as the coating, and a new edge with a sharp grit becomes available. Abrasive blades wear evenly, allowing you to use the wheel until it is completely worn out.
End blade discs offer the following advantages when working with them:
- Low vibration level;
- High performance;
- Low noise level;
- Uniform machining;
- Multifunctional application;
- Flexibility and elasticity;
- High speed of rotation;
- Resistant to heat;
- Self-sharpening ability;
- Elasticity of blades;
- Long life sandpaper.
What are the discs for grinding
A standard petal wheel consists of three layers:
- Base. The backing can be made of fiberglass, fabric, paper, film, fiber, or a combination of several materials. Shaped like a plate.
- Binding. The adhesive bond is necessary to bind the base and the abrasive grit. Usually used resin, bakelite, ceramic, vulcanite, silicate, metal.
- Abrasive. The working grit, which acts as a sandpaper. Can be aluminum, electrocorundum, silicon, zirconia, diamond, and others.
There are many varieties of disk discs for grinding. they are divided into several groups:
- By tooling. Wheels can be used on an electric drill, angle grinder (angle grinder), production machine.
- By purpose. Can be vented, mandrel, batch, face, radial, folded, combined.
- Grit size. Grit size depends on the type of processing. The larger the abrasive crystals, the smaller the numerical designation.
- According to size. Shape may be straight, convex or cone-shaped. Diameter depends on the tool intended for, usually 115-180 mm.
- Composition. They differ in the material of the elastic base, the adhesive bond and the abrasive grain.
- By abrasive coating. Aluminum, ceramics, zirconium, silicon, electrocorundum, diamond and other materials are used as sandpaper coatings.
Roughing and Peeling
Working part in the form of a steel cup or two combined discs, with twisted scrapers, brushes or just a metal wire mounted on the edge. Suitable for removing rust, corrosion and all kinds of coatings such as paint, varnish, polymer, dried cement, etc. Indispensable for auto bodywork, various machines and equipment. The cross section and the strength of the wire determines the degree of processing.There are diamond and abrasive roughing discs with working faces like those of sharpening discs. Used to remove plaster, concrete, stone, and other high-strength finishes.
Grinding and polishing
- cord brushes. roughing treatment for leveling or cleaning the surface;
- Abrasive end bits. specially designed for sanding the ends of workpieces;
- blades. special discs in the form of abrasive blades of different grit, its degree determines the quality of sanding;
- Felt (cloth) wheels. ideal for mirror polishing, including the use of a special liquid or fine abrasive paste;
- Fiber nozzles. good option for processing metal surfaces;
- chain wheels and solid grinding wheels should only be used with grinders, equipped with additional handles, allow you to perform rough treatment of logs, beams and other types of wood.
A thorough approach to the choice of abrasive wheels depends on the criteria of the following kind:
In addition, the basic information usually indicates the expiration date.
The standard thickness of a 125 mm diameter plate is from 2.3 mm to 2.5 mm. Discs of 1-1.2 mm are considered thin for the same diameter.
The basic information should be looked for on the front surface: it will indicate the specialization of the wheel. whether it is designed to cut only steel or is also suitable for non-ferrous metals. There are also universal variants. There is also an indication of the cutting wheel size, expiration date, and the maximum allowable RPM during use.
Usually little value is given to these numbers embossed around the seating hole of the plate. Nevertheless, manufacturers of cutting discs insist on using their products within the specified time period: for example, V 01/ 2018 would be the expiration date until the beginning of the first quarter of 2018.
This most important parameter, in fact, means the class of angle grinder, for which the cutting wheel is designed to work. The following variants are common: 115, 125, 150, 180 or 230 mm. It is inadmissible to fit a wheel with a greater diameter than it should be on the grinder. It is expressly forbidden by safety engineering together with common sense. First, the protective cover will interfere, and secondly, the speed of rotation of the cutting edge will go far beyond the limits provided by the manufacturer of the power tool, which with high probability is fraught with serious injury and failure of equipment.
Thickness of the plate
The thinner the cutting disc, the easier it is to cut through the material: The smaller blade area reduces its resistance. In general, the thin plates have many advantages:
But the disadvantage of these types of wheels is no less evident: their rapid wear and tear resistance. But for low-power, battery-powered angle grinders that are not designed for continuous nonstop cutting, this type of blade is the best choice.
It is worth noting that while observing the norms of safety and operational requirements for power tools, neither thin nor thick discs are too dangerous: reinforcing mesh holds the plate structure regardless of its thickness.
Parameters of the specification
The specification is a four-character code that encodes information about the abrasive grain fraction and bonding agents. For example, AS is marked with a high-purity white electrocorundum designed for cutting stainless steel workpieces. the code number refers to the grit size per disc surface: steel requires a coarse grit cutting disc marked 30 or 24.
Disc code 40 or 60 is needed for non-ferrous metals if the metal is soft. Further, the letters of the Latin alphabet represent the hardness of the binding agent. The harder the bond is, the closer the letter is to the end. However, there is an inverse relationship to the hardness of the material being worked, because it is not the bond that cuts, but the abrasive grit.
The last two symbols rarely change and indicate the bonding component, which is a ductile thermosetting bakelite.
As a rule, metal cutting discs are labeled on the same side with the disc diameter. The easiest option for unassuming front of home works on metal can be a universal or specialized 125 mm cutting disc.
In verbal communication, it will sound like “metal cutting disc for angle grinder 125”. Such nozzles are best suited specifically for working with metal products, so they should not be put in the processing of, for example, concrete piles. This is due to both safety and performance reasons: the bit can not only wear out too quickly, but also shatter. However, metal profiles, sheets, angles or channels can be cut with such a disc safely.
Features of using diamond cutting discs
Before mounting a disc on the cutting tool, a visual inspection is necessary. Do not use workpieces which are warped, cracked or chipped. Apply the segments in the direction of rotation indicated by the marking. In doing so, it must match the direction of rotation of the tool (indicated by an arrow).
The diameter of the segment and the bore of the rasp should correspond to the specification of the tool. The machine shaft speed must be slightly lower than the permitted working speed of the disc. This information is given by markers on the product packaging.
Picture : Installation of cutting wheel on angle grinder
The disc is inserted straight into the groove, without tilting. Clamping is carried out with the nut. After that, you should spin the disk by hand to check if it is installed correctly. If the installation is correct, the tool can be started. Before beginning to work on the material, the disc should be spun up to its maximum rpm without any load.
Tool feed and pressure level
When working with diamond discs no special effort is required. Select feed rate based on cutting conditions. Because disc heat builds up during cutting, take short breaks to allow time for the disc to cool. Continuous cutting leads to segment deformation and increased crystal wear.
Determine the required cutting depth by segment diameter. Follow the rule of “stepped cutting. The principle is simple: for maximum immersion into the material, successive shallow cuts are made. This pattern reduces friction and extends the life of the product edge.
Adhering to safety measures
Always observe the safety precautions when working with the tool. Use equipment and consumables that run properly. Do not operate the machine without the safety guard. Wear gloves and safety glasses when cutting. Adhering to these guidelines will minimize the risk of accidents.
Safety measures when working with diamond discs include the use of personal protective equipment (gloves, goggles)
What breakdowns are possible if diamond discs are used incorrectly
Incorrectly installed discs reduce cutting efficiency and lead to accelerated tool wear. The main problems are caused by the following faults:
- You have selected a blade that is not suitable for the material you are cutting;
- The product is not being used properly;
- The tool is defective.
Here is a description of the main operating problems and how to solve them.
The disc is jammed
If the bond in the disc is too hard, the tool will stick. A similar problem occurs if you press too hard on the machine.
Sign: The disc is cutting slower, with a smoother edge.
Remedy: Cut any abrasive material until the cutting edge is bumpy again. If a disc keeps sticking, install a new softer one.
The cutting part wears quickly
It is usually caused by a disc that is too soft and not suitable for the material you are cutting.
Sign: The blade cuts aggressively, the segments wear out during the first cuts so much that it is visible to the eye. The segment edge gets the same height as the case, the disk jams in the material.