What Is A Punch For A Punch For
Types and purpose of punch blades
The article tells about a punch blade: what it is, its elements. The main types of tools. Varieties: pike, curved and flat, wide, over concrete. What are they made of? Metal hardening technology and temperature. Sharpening rules.
During hardening, it is important to achieve uniform heating of the entire structure. To do this, a pre-heated workpiece is immersed in a special oven. This increases the reliability and strength of the nozzle. With sharp heating without using post-processing, there is a possibility of a temperature difference between the internal and external structure of the product. At the final stage of the process, the metal is cooled with machine oil or water.
If you are hardening the blade yourself, then you must gradually immerse it with the cutting edge down. To reduce the size of the vaporous cocoon, the wetted surface is slowly passed through cold water.
What it is?
Externally, it is a long metal rod with a pointed tip. Consists of two elements:
- A butt pad with a shank at the end, necessary for secure fixation of the nozzle in the hammer drill chuck;
- Cutting edge. The main working surface of the blade, may differ in shape and size.
There are several types of butt plate on sale. It should be selected according to the design of the chuck on your rock drill. Basic types:
- SDS-plus. Has a diameter of 10 mm and 4 open slots for fixing. Used to work with light tools weighing up to 5 kg;
- SDS-max. It is used for installation in heavy professional or industrial rock drills weighing from 5 to 12 kg. The shank design is represented by 4 grooves, diameter. From 18 mm;
- HEX. Butt plate with hex shank. Only used for heavy tools weighing 12 kg or more. Provides secure fit and stable torque.
Spatula-shaped bits, unlike hand chisels, cannot be used alone without a hammer drill. They are necessary for punching holes, dismantling and chipping walls for electrical wiring. Due to their high strength, the blades can be used for working with strong materials such as reinforced concrete, brick and stone.
Types and purpose of punch blades
Rotary hammer blade. Special attachment for working with stone, concrete and other durable materials. It is used for chiselling large holes or grooves, removing wall tiles. Depending on the purpose, it can have different dimensions of the working surface and shape. It is made of hardened steel, due to which it can withstand heavy loads and stable torque.
- What it is?
- What are they made of?
- Hardening technology
- Sharpening rules
What are they made of?
All modern rock drill bits are made from forged steel. This allows you to achieve product strength, long service life and performance. In industrial conditions, quenching is carried out at a temperature of 750 to 800 o C. In home-made blades, affordable low-carbon steel is usually used, quenching is permissible at temperatures up to 700 to 950 o C.
The design of the rock drill blade may vary depending on the application. Main varieties:
- Peak. Outwardly similar to plumbing breakdown. The working surface is sharpened in the shape of a cone. It is used for punching holes, dismantling building structures. Suitable for working with reinforced concrete. The main disadvantage is that it leaves a torn edge in the hole;
- Curved shoulder blade. The tip resembles a bent screwdriver. The cutting edge is wide and very sharp. Suitable for striking decorative materials on walls, floors and ceilings. Large models of this type are used for removing asphalt pavement;
- Flat scapula. It resembles a large screwdriver with a wide and sharp cutting edge. Available in widths from 1 to 4 cm, the smaller the size, the more impact force is required during operation;
- Strober. The working surface is semicircular. Recommended for grooving (grooving) for laying communication networks. Electrical wiring, pipelines. Available in a wide range of cutting edge sizes. It is also used for cleaning joints between bricks when working with rough masonry.
Many subspecies of the main types of rock drill blades have been developed. They can be straight or serrated. Strobers can be curved or with wings to limit groove depth. When choosing a specific nozzle, you should take into account the specifics of the work and the strength of the material.
The sharpened edge makes it easier to handle tough materials and extends the life of the bit. It is recommended to sharpen the working surface on a grinder or angle grinder with an abrasive wheel at medium speed. It must be turned on all sides in order to achieve uniform sharpening and avoid burrs. Do not allow overheating above 1000 ° C; for cooling, you can immerse the products in chilled water.
Purchased hammer blades are produced already sharpened at the factory. The angle of the cutting edge depends on the purpose of use. The sharp blade is recommended for working with brittle and soft materials (aluminum, zinc, copper, bitumen film). If you plan to crush concrete, then you do not need to sharpen it. Experienced builders recommend having two nozzles at once with different sharpness. For rough and fine work.
The shovel is an attachment for a home or professional hammer drill. It can be used to dismantle a wall, chisel out a hole for electrical wiring or remove seams in brickwork. When choosing a specific model, one should take into account the application tasks, the type of hammer drill chuck, the sharpening angle and other design features.
Shanks have their own markings.
- Sds plus. The most popular type of shank, which has a diameter of 10 mm, a length of 40 mm, has 4 open slots for installation in the chuck. These slots transmit torque. These drills, with a diameter of 4 to 26 mm, are used for household and light construction rock drills.
- Sds max. This type of liner is used for large drills with a diameter of more than 26 mm, used in powerful heavy rock drills, as well as in electric hammers. The length of the inserted part is 90 mm, the diameter is 18 mm.
- Sds top Is a rarely used type of shank with a length of 70 mm and a diameter of 14 mm. The shank shape has two closed and two open slots for insertion into a hammer drill chuck. Most often, these liners are available for drills with a diameter of 16 to 26 mm.
- Sds quick Is a shank with keys and a holder. It can accommodate bits for a screwdriver and drill. Most often, this model is used for Bosch rotary hammers.
Working part of the drill made of a special alloy. The speed and safety of the perforator depends on it. The working parts of the drills are made with various shapes.
Design features of nozzles
All attachments and attachments for a hammer drill have their own device features. To make the right choice of the necessary tool, you should familiarize yourself with its design and purpose.
Such nozzles for a hammer drill are indispensable for work on the laying of electrical wiring. There are several types of crown diameters. They make it possible to quickly and easily make a hole in the wall for a junction box, socket or switch.
- Regular a concrete crown for a hammer drill does not last long, but it has a low cost. When working with a simple crown, it must be cooled with water.
- Diamond the bit is more suitable for working in concrete with a hammer drill. It improves work efficiency and lasts a long time. These crowns come in a variety of sizes. Their choice should be carried out taking into account the type and model of the perforator, as well as the chuck.
Boers are divided according to their purpose, depending on the shape of the working part, into the following types:
- Auger drill is the best option for drilling large holes of different diameters. Its high torque and spiral design enable efficient dust extraction, reducing the stress on the hammer drill and shortening the drilling time.
- Small angle drill Suitable for low-effort work, such as drilling a large number of shallow holes.
- Drill with a large slope of the grooves serves for efficient high speed drilling. At the same time, the load on the rock drill is higher, in contrast to drilling with auger drill. Excellent for small number of deep holes.
The spiral grooves of the drill ensure its stability and centering during drilling, reduce the vibration level, the load on the hammer drill, thereby increasing the efficiency of work.
Carbide tip made in the form of soldering, which is the cutting part of the drill. The drilling speed and hole quality depend on it. The soldering material is carbide. The service life of the entire drill depends on the wear of the carbide brazing. Manufacturing plants are improving the design, sharpening method and materials used for the tips to improve efficiency and reduce the physical effort to drill.
If we consider the cost of products, then borax can be divided into the following types:
- Cheap hammer drill bits are not of good quality and reliability, since the material and technology do not always correspond to the norm. Such cheap drills are most often used for one-off work.
- Household drill bits of popular brands have a higher price and work longer. They are enough for several repairs.
- Professional drills have the highest cost, they are mainly used by professional builders. Although such a tool is sometimes purchased for home use. The service life of professional attachments is practically unlimited, and it will last for a long time for domestic use.
Drill size classification
The main characteristic of the drill is its size. According to these parameters, the drill is selected for a specific purpose.
- Total length. This is the maximum length of the drill together with the tail. It ranges from 100 to 1000 mm. It will not work with a longer drill. The length of the drill depends on its diameter. These two parameters are interconnected and ensure the safety and reliability of operation.
- External diameter depends on the length and type of shank. The diameter dimension is always an even number, similar to the dimensions of the fasteners.
Functionality is important
In this regard, the hammer drill is significantly ahead of the drill. After all, it has as many as three operating modes. It’s spinning, spinning hitting and just hitting. Accordingly, with the help of an electric punch, you can not only drill the wall, but also punch it. Punching a large hole, gouging a groove for a cable, chipping off a piece of a wall. All this is within the power of such a powerful tool as a hammer drill. But the hammer drill has only two modes. Standard drilling and drilling using impact. Over, the force of this blow is not as powerful as that of a hammer drill.
The main difference. Percussion system
The most significant difference between the hammer drill and the hammer drill is the principle of the hammer system. So, in a drill, two gear mechanisms. Ratchets. Serve to form a blow. The tool holder is rigidly connected to the first of them, and its body to the second. When the impact mechanism is not needed, a stopper is inserted between the ratchets, and they have no contact. When the impact mode is turned on, the stopper is removed, and the gear train converts the rotational movement of the chuck into a forward-return movement.
This process is just beautifully shown in the following video, despite the fact that the announcer constantly calls the hammer drill a hammer drill, in fact, the video shows the work of a conventional hammer drill. It’s just how the translators and the announcer know how a drill with a hammer drill function differs, they haven’t read our article :).
. Impact crank mechanism
Where and what is the drill used for
First, let’s talk about drills. Even a not quite knowledgeable person knows that with this tool, if necessary, you can drill large or small holes in almost any material. If the drill is equipped with a percussion mechanism, then it can also punch concrete walls (that is, work in percussion mode). However, this mode can be easily turned off by switching to traditional hole drilling, which is very convenient. But this area of use of the drill does not end there.
Depending on what material needs to be drilled, various types of drills are used, which both look different and are intended for different purposes.
1. So, for drilling a wooden surface drills for wood are useful, but in most cases they are replaced with conventional drills for metal. In some cases, feather drills are used to drill wood.
2. If you have to work with metal, then you need other drills. More durable, having a certain design.
3. And with tiles and glass, you should be more careful. Just look, instead of an even hole, a chip will turn out. Therefore, to solve such problems, there is another type of drill. These are lance drills for ceramics and glass.
4. Core drills are the best choice for making large holes.
5. As mentioned above, when the hammer drill works like a hammer drill, it is capable of hammering concrete and brick. Although she will not become a full-fledged puncher, she can perform work of an average degree of complexity. For these purposes, drills with victorious tips are used.
To grind the surface with a drill, it is enough to use a grinding wheel as a nozzle.
If there is a need to clean various metal surfaces on the drill, it is enough to put on a special steel wire brush.
If the wire is bundled by the brush. Twisted, then the processing will be rough. For finer finishes, use a corrugated wire accessory.
If you need to mix some mass, then the drill can be easily turned into a mixer. For this, there is also a special nozzle.
This makes the impact drill a versatile tool capable of many functions. With some additional tools, it can work with a mixer, a screwdriver, a grinding machine, or, when the chiseling mode is turned on. Puncher.
For the drill, the main field of application is in drilling metal, tiles and wood surfaces. Well, the hammer drill is designed to overcome concrete and brick walls. Therefore, it is difficult to compare the result of the work performed by one and the other tool in terms of the hours or minutes spent, and in terms of quality. Indeed, for a drill, the impact function is only an additional one. However, as well as the drilling function of the hammer drill. Do not neglect the instructions, using the tool “to the full extent” where only short-term operation is allowed. Sadly it will end. A good thing will break.
What are the main characteristics
For electric drills, the main characteristic is torque, or torque. The unit for measuring it. Newton meter. Perforators are classified on a different basis. For them, the main thing is power, which depends on the impact energy. This value is measured in joules. And the torque of the hammer drill should not be at all large, it is often much less than that of an impact drill with a similar power engine.
Rotary hammer functions
Unlike a drill, a hammer drill can operate in three modes: impact, rotation and a combination of these actions. Therefore, the puncher can be used not only for drilling, but also for chipping the wall, creating holes and grooves of the required size. It is indispensable when performing work on replacing wiring at home. An impact drill, even comparable to a hammer drill in terms of power, will not cope with such a load.
Differences between impact drill and hammer drill
Differences between impact drill and hammer drill
Once you have learned the basic properties of both tools, it is easier to understand how one differs from the other.
The hammer hammer mechanism can be electro-pneumatic or electromechanical. The former is more common, since it provides maximum impact force with relatively low power.
There are 2 versions of the electro-pneumatic percussion mechanism: in light devices, an oscillating bearing is used, in heavy or medium ones. A crank mechanism.
When the tool is turned on, the electric motor starts to rotate, the movement is transmitted to the inner sleeve of the oscillating bearing. At this time, the outer sleeve starts to vibrate. The air between the ram and the piston sets the ram in motion, it oscillates in time with the piston, striking the striker.
The striker hits the drill, which is fixed in the chuck.
The advantages of working with a hammer drill are lower recoil and higher working speed.
Impact drill functions
Thanks to a variety of drills, holes can be made in various materials:
- For drilling wood, they take drills for metal or wood, in some cases. Feather;
- If necessary, make a hole in the metal, use durable drills of a special design;
- Lance-shaped, designed for working with glass and ceramics, help to drill neat holes in the tile without damaging them;
- Castellated help in cases when it is required to make holes of large diameter;
- Drills with a victorious tip allow you to work with hard materials (brick and concrete).
In addition to the usual ones, you can use additional attachments. They can significantly expand the functionality of the device.
With the help of a grinding wheel attachment, you can quickly and efficiently grind the surface. A steel wire brush attachment will help clean any metal surface. For rough processing, use a twisted wire nozzle, and a better one is made with a corrugated brush.
If you purchase a special attachment, the drill can act as a mixer: it is able to quickly and thoroughly mix the solution.
In addition, a drill with the impact mechanism disabled replaces the screwdriver. With its help, you can screw in and unscrew screws, self-tapping screws or screws, assemble furniture, hang shelves at home and carry out other operations.
The main difference
The difference between these tools lies in their main function: a drill is used for drilling, and a hammer drill chisels the work surface in order to make a hole in it.
To understand other differences, you should look at both of these devices in more detail.
The main differences are:
- Performance. According to this indicator, the hammer drill is many times superior to an impact drill, since the device has a powerful impact force and a weight greater than that of a drill, which contributes to its increase. If we take 2 devices with the same power, then the hole made with a drill will be 1.5 times smaller than the hole made with a puncher. The difference will be even more noticeable if you choose a crown bit instead of a regular drill.
- Bore mount. The drill has a chuck with a cam chuck, which does not provide adequate retention of the drill, which can prevent it from turning. A new type of cartridge is used to mount the drill in the hammer drill. It holds the drill better and provides free movement. The drill replacement process takes a few seconds.
- Appointment of the device. The main characteristic of a drill is the amount of torque, while the work of a hammer drill is assessed by its impact power. Therefore, it is incorrect to compare these tools. They initially have different purposes.
- Processing precision. The hammer drill is designed for working with hard materials, and it is undesirable to drill in metal or wood with this tool. The result may be of poor quality and, most likely, the hole will not exactly match the intended diameter. If you need to make a thin hole of a certain size, you should choose a drill.
- Life time. In the hammer drill, the internal parts are pneumatically protected from shock loads and vibrations during tool operation. In addition, a protective sleeve is installed in the device, which protects it from damage if the drill gets stuck in the hole or stumbles upon a reinforcing mesh in concrete.