What oil to pour into the gearbox of a power tiller
Changing the oil in your power tiller: How much and what kind of oil to put in the gearbox
Treating a plot of land for modern gardeners is no longer as big a problem as it was in the not so distant past. Such versatile equipment as power tillers, which greatly facilitate the life of agronomists and gardeners, has appeared on the market.
Neva power tillers are one of the best machines in their line. They are reliable, durable and multifunctional. You will be able to both till the ground and take care of the plants, and to collect and transport crops, garbage.
Here we will tell you about the gearbox for the motor-block Neva, its structure, repair. This is one of the most important elements in any machine, so if you want it to serve for a long time without failures, you need to know all the details of its device, as well as the causes of malfunction and methods of elimination.
Gearbox device on the Neva motor block
The gearbox of the Neva power tiller is responsible for transmission of rotation coming from the engine to the wheels and other attached devices. It controls the rotational speed, speed, and direction. forward or reverse. In principle, there is not much difference between the MB 2 and MB 1 models, so here we will look at the second version. The design of the gearbox is made in such a way that on the outside of its body there are components necessary for changing gears.
Gearbox lever has 5 positions. When you depress it, the fork disengages the clutch. When you drop the lever, the fork resumes its original position. The single axle tractor will stop when the drive is connected to the right half axle. There’s torque coming from the sprocket. When the knob is recessed, engaging the left sprocket, the transmission is downshifted. If you want a higher gear, you have to pull the knob all the way out.
Gearbox Faults and Repair
Like any other piece of machinery, power tillers can also malfunction. If the problem is in the gearbox, you need to disassemble and repair it. Often the failure is minor and you can easily fix it yourself.
First you need to thoroughly clean this part from dirt and oil residue, which will also need to be drained. All parts should be inspected and checked for damage. If something is out of order, it must be replaced. Use only new parts that fit your model of Neva power tiller. Also remember to fill up with oil after assembly.
Some common gearbox failures:
- The spring or clips break. They need to be replaced with new ones and then adjusted afterwards;
- Adjustments in the shifting system are out of order. You need to loosen the screws, engage first gear, screw the screws back on;
- Oil leaking from the shaft. Most likely the cause is the cuff, which is worn out. You need to replace it with a new one. How to replace the oil seals? It is enough to remove the old ones, picking them up with a screwdriver or other object, and install the new ones;
- It needs to be replaced with a new one;. Jamming. It may be due to a broken chain. You need to replace it with a new one;
- Can’t lock the gears. The reason is that the fork brush is worn, so it must be replaced.
These are the main and most common gearbox failures
Very important. if you can not fix it yourself, you should seek help from professionals
Changing the oil in the gearbox of a Neva power tiller
It is also worth talking separately about changing the oil in the gearbox of a Neva motoblock. This should be done every fifty hours of operation
It is also important to check the oil level. For this purpose a flat wire will do
You dip it in a container of oil and it should be wet by 25-30 centimeters. What oil to pour into the gearbox of a Neva motoblock, you will learn from the instruction manual. Most often it is transmission TAD-17I, TAP-15V and others according to GOST 23652-79.
How to check the oil level in the engine block
To independently check how much oil is in the motor block, specifically in the internal combustion engine, you need to do the following
- place the machine on a level surface;
- Unscrew the plug in the engine crankcase;
- insert a special dipstick with markings into the hole;
- pull out the dipstick and see at what mark is the oil spot;
- At a mark below the minimum you need to add petroleum product.
In the case when there are no marks on the dipstick, you can be guided by the length of the device itself. The oil spot should reach to the middle of the checking element. If there is no dipstick, fill up the bath fluid until it is no longer visible from the filler neck. In order to check how much transmission oil is in the gearbox of the motoblock, you need to do the following:
- Position the unit on a level surface;
- use a metal rod about 1 meter long;
- insert the dipstick all the way into the fill hole;
- look at the level of the bold marks on the wire.
If the dipstick is stained more than 30 cm, the bath fluid can be topped up.
Help. Frequency of changing the transmission fluid component after a single fill will depend on the intensity of use of the equipment. This action is required much less often than changing engine lubricant.
Transmission models of motor cultivator include gearbox, which is also a gearbox. To replace the oil composition, regardless of the number of speeds, special transmission oil products are used. As with the gearbox, the lubricant level is controlled by a special dipstick with markings or wire.
Design of a motoblock gearbox
The gearbox is one of the most important components on a crawler tractor. Absolutely all models have one and without it, the machine would not work. The function of the reducer is the uninterrupted transmission of torque from the engine to the wheels through the V-belt transmission. In addition, it provides the change in speed and direction of movement of the agricultural machine. Put simply, it controls the movement and steering of the machine.
Gearbox consists of a system of shafts and sprockets connected by a chain. Shafts receive rotation and transmit it by means of a chain. The input shaft is equipped with a lever and a fork that switches the mechanism. A plastic case with bolt fastening protects the parts from dirt and dust.
Power tillers are indispensable aids in the economy
All parts are made of metal and need to be lubricated. Insufficient lubrication puts a huge strain on the mating parts and can lead to quick breakdowns. Timely oil change in the gearbox ensures their good working order and trouble-free operation of the mechanism as a whole.
Types of Oils
Oils are differentiated by type (mineral, semi-synthetic, synthetic), application (engine, transmission), season (summer, winter). Gearboxes use gear oils with various additives.
Classification of gear oils by application:
- GL-1 are mineral oils without additives and extreme pressure components. Designed for use at low speeds and loads. Used in spur, worm and helical bevel gear drives.
- GL-2. minerals with increased requirements for antifriction properties, that is, resistance to abrasion. Used in worm gears, where parts are in constant contact with each other. May contain special anti-friction additives.
- GL-3 is a grease with high anti-wear and anti-seize properties, i.e. it prevents adhesion of the contact surfaces. Suitable for moderate speed and loads. Suitable for bevel and spiral bevel gears.
- GL-4. oils with quality extreme pressure additives. Designed for high speed operation combined with low torque and vice versa. Used in hypoid transmissions of cars and trucks.
- GL-5 and GL-6 contain an extreme pressure additive which contains sulfur and phosphorus. Designed to operate at high speeds at low torques, as well as shock loads on the gear teeth. GL-6 oils are also designed for vertically offset gears. Used in hypoid gears in cars.
Changing the oil in a power tiller engine
The service life of an agricultural machine depends not only on the quality of its components and assembly, but also on how often you change the engine oil. If you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations you will extend the life of the machine and protect it from typical damage.
To change the lubricant in your power tiller, first preheat the engine. To change the oil in the engine of the motor-block, you need to act in the following order:
- First place the machine in a horizontal position. The oil fill and drain holes are always on the left side of the motoblock engine. The remaining oil inside the engine must be drained through the drain hole, which is closed with a conical plug with a thread. If the plug is screwed too tight, it can be unscrewed with a long screwdriver;
- Place a wide container of at least 2 liters under the drain hole, and slowly unscrew the plug. Once it’s completely removed, wait 10 minutes until the lubricant has completely drained from the engine of the power tiller;
- After that screw in the drain plug, and start pouring in new engine oil. It is best if you choose 10W40 synthetic or mineral based oil as the new composition. Its volume should be equal to the amount of oil previously drained.
Change the lubricant in the engine of your power tiller at least once every 25-30 hours of operation. If you do not use the machine too often, and all the work you do takes about the same amount of time, you can change the oil once a year. Remember that if you do not have time to work 30 hours a season, the oil must still be changed, as during the downtime of the power tiller properties of the composition noticeably deteriorate.
If you have just bought a single axle tractor, it is necessary to change the oil in its motor after the first 5 hours of machine operation. The fact is that after the assembly of new motor blocks the small debris left inside the motor gets into the oil, which leads to engine seizure and the appearance of minor damage. In order for the motor of a new unit to be completely clean, the oil in it will need to be replaced three more times. twice after 5 hours of operation, and the third. after 10 hours.
What oil to fill in the cultivator?
Mechanization of labor at a country site gives the opportunity to do more work in less time, while using less personal effort. Manufacturers of equipment for the homestead offer a wide range of equipment of various purposes and designs. The power tiller is justly considered one of the most functional summer cottage helpers. With its simple design these devices greatly facilitate the care of the soil, including its digging, harrowing, removing weeds, and in some cases, the collection of mature root crops.
At the same time it is necessary to remember that a small and relatively weak cultivator engine is very sensitive to the quality and regularity of maintenance. First of all, it concerns change and quality of used oil. If there is not enough lubrication, the unit will work in conditions of increased friction and less effective heat dissipation. It will inevitably lead to its early failure.
That’s why it’s important to check the oil level in the lubrication system. that’s the first step in preparing the implement for work. Besides, it is necessary to know what oil to fill in a cultivator. It is important to deal with this question beforehand, because it is not easy to find the right solution for a wide range of consumables, offered in stores. To help you understand what and how to choose the best, and is called to our new article.
What oil to fill in a motoblock gearbox?
In order for your single axle tractor or cultivator to last as long as possible, it is necessary to carry out correct maintenance, according to the prescriptions given in the technical documents. Only then the functionality will not change over time and the engine will run smoothly and accurately without complaints.
Gearbox. one of the most important parts in a cultivator or tiller. The owner of such agricultural machinery must have a good knowledge of the rules of its care:
- What type of oil to put in the gearbox;
- How often you need to change it;
- How much oil is needed;
- where to dispose of the exhaust;
- If the cultivator is not used, how to keep it in good condition.
- choose a quality oil for the gearbox
Do I have to fill the gearbox of my power tiller with oil??
It depends on whether the transmission is sealed. If so, oil change is not necessary. The power tiller is immediately supplied with lubricant for the entire period of operation. In some cases machines are delivered without oil in the gearbox. This is usually indicated in the manual. To lubricate the gearbox, gear oil of a specific viscosity according to the SAE classification is used. You don’t usually need to change all the oil in a gearbox, just keep it at a certain level. Checking oil level is recommended every 100 hours of operation. Most models have a control hole for this purpose, and some cultivators have an oil fill hole.
If the transmission noises and knocks more than usual during operation, it may be because of a lack of oil in the gearbox.
In each unit of a power tiller the design includes certain parts. They are slightly different in different types of gearboxes.
Parts of the mechanism consist of these parts:
- cover and pulley;
- forks and shift axle;
- control and shifting lever;
- bushings on input shaft;
- shaft assembly;
- intermediate shaft pinion;
- washers and oil seals;
- double-row chain;
- left and right half axle;
- double sprocket;
- sprocket block;
- clutch clutch;
- input shaft;
- bracket and spring;
- clutch forks.
Power tiller gear oil drain and refilling process ll How to change gear oil of Greaves power tiller
Consider in detail the structure of this unit can be seen in the diagram. The motoblock gearbox is quite complicated, but, following the diagram, you can easily cope with its disassembly and reassembly.
The following steps are performed:
- The gearbox is completely removed;
- Screws unscrewed, guard covers removed;
- The sleeve of the input shaft is removed very carefully, the fork and the lever is dismantled;
- The primary shaft is removed along with the pinion;
- Shaft sleeve and chain are removed;
- The shaft assembly is removed along with the sprockets;
- Intermediate shaft and gears are removed;
- Clutch and left and right shafts can be removed.
After all these actions you can get the gearbox in disassembly. Once the overhaul is complete, it is reassembled.
This kind of oil can withstand big temperature changes very well. So it can be successfully used all year round. When choosing this type of grease, pay attention to the number in front of the letter W, it indicates the oil’s ability to withstand low temperatures. The lower the number, the better adapted the oil will be. If there is no “W” on the marking, it is a summer type of grease.
Here the letters on the package will indicate the type of engine. Each specific letter will indicate that the transmission fluid is suitable for a specific type of engine. Numbers indicate types of engines. The number 4, for example, says that the oil should be used for a four-stroke engine. The EC number indicates the energy efficiency. The higher it is, the better the transmission fluid will be.
The largest figure on the marking will indicate that the grease can be used in extreme conditions.
GOST 17479, 1-85
These figures define the viscosity level of the transmission fluid. This is usually followed by a numerical and an alphabetic value. If there are none, it means that the grease is universal.
ZIC 10W40 oil is of good quality and has good reviews. It can be used in both gasoline and diesel power tillers.
Super T-3 85W-90
Another worthy option is the oil Super T-3 85W-90. retains fluidity even at quite low temperatures, good viscosity.
Paying attention to the basic parameters, everyone will be able to choose a suitable oil in the gearbox of a motor-block, taking into account the operating conditions of machinery, type of engine.