What’s the best oil for a brushcutter?
How much oil to pour into the grass trimmer per liter of gasoline
Gasoline mowers. quite common tools, used by owners of garden and homestead farms for mowing grass and making hay. common names for tools are the terms “grass trimmer” and “lawnmower”. The main difference lies in the design of the motor. expensive segment of the device is equipped with four-stroke models, and cheap. two-stroke. The latter option has advantages, including low weight, ease of use, and low cost.
The most important condition for the work of two-stroke models is the preparation of the fuel mixture, based on the manufacturer’s defined proportion of gasoline and oil. The simplified design of the motor does not provide a separate channel for lubrication, so engine oil is added directly to the gasoline. Failure to maintain the correct proportions leads to a significant reduction in tool life and even to tool breakage. Let’s understand what composition is required for gasoline trimmers, how to properly prepare the mixture and what it can affect.
Choice of gasoline for grass trimmer
For some reason, everyone prefers to choose a brand of gasoline for a brushcutter at his discretion. This is an erroneous approach, because, first of all, you need to carefully study the instructions, where the manufacturer’s recommendations on the choice of fuel type are given. But this is not a guarantee either, because unleaded fuel can be sold under different brands (which differ in many manufacturers), with significantly different composition. Therefore, it is necessary to focus on the main characteristics to choose gasoline for a particular model of grass trimmer.
Gasoline manufacturers recommend using a brand of gasoline AI-92, but for more expensive types will need fuel with a higher octane number. AI-95. Any brand that has a number of 90 or less is not suitable for petrol-powered machines, because it will lead to a higher rate of wear and tear. The problem is due to unscrupulous fuel producers who sell a completely different brand under the guise of 92. You get the following situation:
- In the passport of gasoline equipment there is a recommendation to use only 92 octane gasoline;
- The conscientious owner goes to the gas station, where the lowest price and with a clear conscience fills such fuel in the brushcutter;
- As a result, the service life is reduced, because often under the guise of AI-92 sold AI-80 and AI-76.
To avoid such a situation, you need to choose one filling station, which sells proven gasoline (it can be determined by the reviews of regular customers). It is also important, where to fill the fuel after purchase. only metal containers should be used (plastic is prohibited).
Preferably, when it is possible to buy gasoline for the grass trimmer high purity specifically for garden equipment. That way you can be sure of its quality and protection against counterfeit.
Choosing lawnmower oil useful recommendations from professionals
If the annotations to the tool have been lost and there are problems with the choice of the correct oil, it is recommended to suspend your own choice on the next 2 options:
- Semi-synthetic. They are cheaper than synthetic, but more expensive than mineral water. Suitable for both Russian and foreign equipment. They have low smoke characteristics, and properly “take care” of engine structural components. Made by refining petroleum products and hydrocarbons
- Synthetic. These are expensive types of lubricants, suitable for all types of equipment. If you use synthetics for your own grass trimmer, the tool engine will work like clockwork.
Choosing and buying oil for diluting with gasoline, you may come across some letter designations on the cans. These designations are API systematization, which is useful to know who wants to fill the tool with oil suitable to the characteristics. Let’s look at all types of oils by API systematization for two-stroke engines:
- И. Designed for air-cooled units up to 50 cc. These techniques include mopeds, lawnmowers, grass trimmers and brush. Best solution for petrol tillers and trimmers
- TV. Used for refueling the engines of such machines as mopeds, chainsaws, scooters and bikes. The engine volume of such equipment is from 50 to two hundred cm3. This oil type is also suitable for trimmers
- TC. Designed for gasoline dispensing and refueling in bikes, snowmobiles, and other types of ground equipment
- TD. Can be used for outboard engines, jet skis and boats
API systematization. South American standard, used in Europe. But when choosing, there are additional designations on oil cans for two-stroke engines, such as FA, FB, FC, FD and others. This is the flue gas oil systematization developed by the Japanese JASO benchmark. If such designations are found on certain trimmer and chainsaw oils, their deciphering must be considered:
- FA. Used in countries where legislation requires a small amount of smoke emission into the atmosphere. An imperceptible fog of smoke is emitted during operation
- FB. Designed for use in countries where there are strict restrictions on smoke emissions. Virtually no white smoke
- FC. Smoke is released into the atmosphere transparent and not visible to humans
- FD. Smokeless types of oils for two-stroke internal combustion engines, do not emit smoke, but still have improved chemical characteristics. Usually they are used for blending with gasoline and fuels for boats, boats and yachts.
READ How to insert a line for a trimmer in a grass trimmer semiautomatic
If the designation “self mix” and “pre mix” are on the oil container, they mean self mix with gasoline (1st option, not requiring shaking), and the need for forced dissolving (2nd option).
Knowing the systematization of oils by their type, it is easy to choose the best option for your brand of gasoline cutters. On the market, you can find different brands of oils for two-stroke engines, but it is better to direct increased attention to the following companies:
- STIHL. Create mineral and synthetic, and semi-synthetic of this brand is a rarity
- Shell Helix Ultra. Recommended by Specialists
- “Lukoil. It is a Russian oil, which costs three times cheaper than its foreign analogues, but at the same time has amazing properties
The of the products are not specified, because the vary. There are many other brands, and if you still want to find a flawless grass trimmer lubricant for yourself, it is recommended to review the test below.
With the conclusion that it is not always useful to take expensive oils, because they may be of unsatisfactory quality, as can be seen in the real example.
Which engine oil is better to choose mineral or synthetic?
With the appearance of different types of oils the disputes about which oil is better to choose in the engine of your car have not stopped. There are many supporters of each type of oil, but often their arguments are based on myths, so the choice of type of oil in the car engine should be approached a little more thoroughly. Mineral or synthetic oil? Or maybe even semi-synthetic? This article will give the differences between types of motor oil, what is the difference between them and whether you can mix different types of lubricants.
Engine oil. purpose
The original purpose of engine oils is to dissipate heat from the rubbing parts inside the engine, and, if possible, to remove metal particles that are formed in the friction process. By and large, nothing has changed over a long period of time, and at the moment the fulfillment of these tasks are presented in the choice of oil. However, it is worth considering the fact that with the appearance of semi-synthetic and synthetic oils in the lubricants market, car enthusiasts are beginning to argue about the temperature conditions at which they can be used. A large number of lubricant manufacturers and their properly aligned marketing campaigns to attract new customers only aggravate the matter.
Mineral engine oil
Mineral oil is produced from agricultural crops or it is obtained by processing fuel oil and the subsequent purification of the processed products. Since this technology is quite simple and for many years people have successfully tried to simplify this process, it is the reason for the low cost of mineral lubricating oils. The positive effects of using mineral oil in a car engine include high efficiency when used, hydrolytic stability and little mechanical effect when interacting with moving engine parts. In addition, mineral oils can be mixed with other identical oils and natural oils have an excellent anti-corrosion coefficient.
But all these positive properties of mineral oils are often achieved at a comfortable temperature range of 10 to 25 degrees Celsius. In order to use mineral oils at low or high temperatures, it is necessary to use various additives. But herein lies the obvious disadvantage of using mineral motor oils: at high temperatures the additives burn out, and at low temperatures it is difficult to use mineral oils due to their high viscosity coefficient.
This intermediate type of engine oil can be obtained by diluting mineral oil with synthetic oil. Engine oil specialists recommend using a ratio of 50%-50% or 70% mineral oil to 30% synthetic engine oil.
Synthetic motor oil
Engine coolant is produced by the synthesis of molecules. Synthetic oils, therefore, show better stability in use and are not as affected by low temperatures. It is advisable to choose a synthetic oil according to individual parameters: the region where you live and the presence of high or low temperatures during the use of the car, the nature of driving and starting, etc.д. Of course, it is worth considering the fact that such oil is not found in nature in its unchanged form, but it is so firmly embedded in modern life that people do not think about its origin. The price of synthetic oil is the most expensive of all the materials presented above, but in the presence of very low ambient temperatures it is a necessity rather than a privilege.
The advantages of operating synthetic petroleum products can also include:
Advantages of different lubricant formulations over others
Synthetics and mineral oils. which oil is better: these petroleum products differ at the molecular level. The molecular structure of synthetics has been achieved through long testing to achieve the necessary properties, while the molecular structure of mineral oil products is inherent in nature. If synthetic oils are in some respects inferior to mineral lubricants, this too is being worked on continuously. But the fact is that mineral blends clean the engine continuously and with approximately the same efficiency, while synthetic, in turn, due to its viscosity, cleans quickly enough. Because of this effect, oil filters and oil lines are literally clogged with deposits of particles from the engine. If the oil system components are inadequately controlled, oil starvation can occur and eventually cause the engine to break down.
Therefore, we can distinguish the main differences between the two main types of oil:
Mineral or synthetic oil? The answer will only depend on the car owner’s personal car.
Which oil is better: synthetic or semi-synthetic?? What is meant by the terms stability and stability with synthetics? This means that exposure to low or high temperatures practically does not reduce the viscosity and hence the efficiency of the oil over a long period of time. when choosing a semi-synthetic oil it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that in some cases it is more reasonable to use than synthetic oil. For example, with a large, impressive mileage of the engine synthetic can give a high carbon footprint, as well as when using the car at comfortable temperatures in the winter season. up to.20 degrees Celsius. However, this oil needs to be replaced more often than synthetic oil.
Oil Marking by Seasons
In addition to the molecular structure of petroleum products for engine cooling is customary to be divided into seasonal use: summer, winter and multigrade oil. Summer oil, due to its viscosity, is reasonable to use up to 0 degrees Celsius. Otherwise there is a high probability that the engine will not start or will fail. Summer oils are marked as SAE 20, SAE 30 and so on up to 60. The numerical designation indicates the oil’s viscosity at the engine’s operating temperature; the higher the numerical designation, the thicker the oil when heated.
Winter oils are marked from 0 to 25 units with the prefix W. winter. Discretion in 5 units. The minimum threshold for the used temperature mode is determined by subtracting 40 units from the given number. For example, for petroleum products with the marking 5 W the minimum temperature at which the correct pumping of the oil system will be provided will be.35 degrees Celsius. But for winter products it is also necessary to know such a selection criterion as the cranking ability. To determine this parameter, 35 must be subtracted from the given number, and it is safe to say that for 10 W oil, the lower limit for safe starting of the car engine is. 25 degrees Celsius.
Why Buy Grass Trimmers?
Comparing with similar mechanisms, give preference when choosing brushcuts on the following functional indicators:
- Mobility and low weight of the unit, allowing to carry it over distances, use it in hard-to-reach places for mowing.
- Versatility. the lawn trimmer is equipped with a node for changing the working elements during the machine’s operation.
- Simple in design, so the lawnmower can be used for a long time without frequent adjustments.
These and other positive features give buyers the confidence that when buying a trimmer for the grass, they make the right choice.
Block: 2/12 | Number of characters: 586
Choosing the right oil
Depending on the chemical composition of the oil, engine oil can be:
- Mineral. made from petroleum distillates and designed for low-powered, air-cooled machines
- Semi-synthetic. a blend of mineral and synthetic oils suitable for 2T and 4T and air and liquid cooled machines
- Synthetic. based on esters and can be used in heavy-duty equipment and in harsh climates.
Important at! 2-stroke and 4-stroke oils differ in their ability to dissolve, burn and evaporate. To distinguish the liquid grease from gasoline, it is painted in different colors: blue, green, red.
Depending on the API classification, the following groups of oils for trimmer motors can be distinguished:
- TA. for low-powered equipment with engine displacement up to 50 cm³ and air cooling;
- TV is for powerful equipment with engine capacity of 50-200 cm³ and air cooling system;
- TS. for powerful two-stroke equipment (brushcutters, chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc.).) with engine displacement of 50-200 cm³;
- TD. for liquid-cooled boat motors.
To choose the optimal oil for a particular model of grass trimmer, it is better to take into account the recommendations specified in the manual. API-TV and API-TC oils are usually used for 2T brushcutters.
For your information! Besides there is JASO classification for two-stroke engines and SAE30 classification for four-stroke engines.
Leading manufacturers of garden equipment develop and produce their own oils for their machines. Such lubricating compositions most fully satisfy all technical and operational characteristics of specific trimmer series. For example, STIHL FS 5 brushcutters (STIHL) are best lubricated with STIHL HP or STIHL HP SUPER oil, and Husqvarna HP or Husqvarna LS oils are for the Husqvarna 143R. But for the Patriot brand is suitable and normal mineral oil M-8B.
Block: 4/9 | Characteristics: 1946
A variety of additives are added to oils, which is why two-stroke and four-stroke oils are different. In addition to the main components two-stroke oils contain solvent. Just because of it increases the miscibility of fuel and oil, facilitates pumping and atomization. But at high temperatures, solvents (20%) have a negative effect on lubrication. Additives increase the viscosity, so you should choose a product with a higher coefficient of viscosity. such oil is of higher quality.
In addition to the solvent, two-stroke oil contains such substances:
- Oil base. approx. 60%.
- Vacuum residue (result of primary distillation of oil products). 5-17%.
- solvent. 20%.
- Additives used to reduce smokiness and soot from the exhaust product. the remainder.
How to choose
When selecting an oil for the grass trimmer, a number of parameters are taken into account:
- Alkalinity. The oil’s reaction should be alkaline at 8-9. The lower it is, the faster the oil will oxidize and cause oxidation in the engine.
- Viscosity. The higher the parameter, the faster the product thickens as the temperature drops. Ideally should be precisely matched to the operating temperature.
- Ignition temperature. Standardly its value should not be lower than 2250C. Otherwise the oil will burn out quickly and cause damage to the piston group.
Lawn trimmer oil choice
For trimmer engines, you must choose air-cooled oils marked “2T”, which are used for internal combustion engines with displacement of 50 cm3 to 200 cm3. The first thing to pay attention to when buying oil is not the price, but the protective properties of the material, as a small savings can later become a real headache for the owner and, as a rule, large costs.
Two-stroke lawnmower oil
The main factor determining the quality of grass trimmer oil is the alkali number. It is this component that eliminates oxidation of rubbing parts and slows down their destruction. During use the oil gradually loses its alkalinity and becomes oxidized. The optimum level of acidity (Ph) should not be less than 8-9 units.
The brushcutter oil viscosity also has a big impact on the working process of the gasoline tool. This indicator determines the ability to operate the grass trimmer at different temperatures. For example, summer brands of lubricants become thick even at a slight drop in temperature. if you use your lawnmower exclusively in spring and autumn, summer grade oil is the perfect choice.
The flash point of grass trimmer oil must be more than 225C, otherwise the oil will burn out quickly, and the piston group will be subjected to intensive wear and tear.
What to look for when selecting oil?
Modern two-stroke brushcutter engines are fueled with a mixture of AI-92 gasoline and oil marked “2T”. Using higher octane rating fuel will cause a higher flash point and therefore a higher burning point of the lubricant.
STIHL fuel types
Undoubtedly, the best oil for grass trimmer is the one recommended by the manufacturer, but the owner does not always have the opportunity to buy exactly “proprietary” lubricant. Experts recommend Shell Helix Ultra, based on Pureplus technology, which helps improve the basic properties of the lubricant.
For gasoline trimmers by the German manufacturer STIHL should use oil STIHL HP Ultra, STIHL HP, STIHL HP S. Budgetary substitute can be Vityaz products, which by its properties is most similar to the recommended material.
Types of engine oils and their function
Choosing an oil for a gasoline trimmer
Engine oil for gasoline grass trimmer is a lubricant that serves to reduce wear and tear between the rubbing parts of the engine.
The composition of oil includes residual hydrocarbons and various additives that improve the properties of the final product. In order to provide long and trouble-free mower operation experts recommend to use oils, which by their physical and chemical properties correspond to the given type of the engine.
Today it is accepted to distinguish three main types of oils according to the way they are produced:
- Mineral, created in the process of distillation of hydrocarbons;
- Synthetic oils produced by processing natural gas or by synthesis;
- Semi-synthetic, which includes an improved mineral oil with some synthetic components.
In order to prevent mixing of different types the manufacturer adds dye to the oils, which shows the different compositions of the lubricant.
Lubricating fluids increase the life of the engine and indirect parts, provides long life without failure.
Husqvarna multigrade oil. one of the best oils for garden and construction equipment. Protects the engine immediately at startup and instantly lubricates far-flung components. Characterized by soft texture, anti-corrosive properties, works over a wide temperature range and at high speeds.
Benefits of Husqvarna oils
- Suitable for low-quality gasoline;
- contribute to economical fuel consumption;
- The thick oil film protects the engine from wear and corrosion;
- reduce fouling of pistons, cylinders;
- Due to its high viscosity the oil penetrates easily into the parts that rub;
- special additives prevent deposits on the crankcase;
- lower maintenance costs;
- Low volatility, resistance to oxidative processes;
- environmentally friendly and biodegradable components.
engine oils for 2 and 4 stroke engines
- snow blowers; snow blowers;
- chainsaws and chain saws;
- power tillers;
- garden tractors, etc.
Summer oils and all-purpose variants for year-round use are available.
Husqvarna HP 2-stroke oil 1 liter API SG. the sales leader in Russia. Its advanced formula is adapted for use in harsh Russian latitudes with poor-quality gasoline. Synthetic additives protect the engine from wear, deposits and corrosion, suitable for all 2-stroke engines.
Please note! How to distinguish Husqvarna oil from counterfeit:
- HP 2-stroke oil is sold in 1 liter only, price from 799 rubles.
- The top of the bottle is laser engraved in black or yellow.
- There is an oil level indicator strip on the side, the divisions are notched in 100 ml increments.
- The production date includes not only the day-month-year, but also the time of production.
- Instructions on the back are entirely in Russian. There is information on certification, precautions, storage conditions, factory and importer in
- Printed alongside the logo and barcode is part number # 5878085-12.
- Marked “Made in Sweden”, no other official manufacturer.
- The dial on the bottom of the bottle: the center of the circle shows the year, and the arrow points to the month.
- Test ring for opening, H (Husqvarna) logo engraved on cap, with protective aluminum foil underneath.
Husqvarna chain oils
To prevent wear, a special low-viscosity oil is used to lubricate the chain and protect the saw bar. Effective in cold and humid environments. Easily washed off with soap and detergents.
Air Filter Oil
Impregnates the filter and collects dust particles before they get into the engine, thus increasing the life and durability of the engine. Removes soap and biodegradable.
See the full catalog of engine oils in our company’s Husqvarna store.
- Free same day delivery in Moscow.
- Self-delivery. d. Moscow, metro station Tulskaya, Vladimirskaya str. Pavlovskaya St. 27/29.
- Shipment by transport company to any region
To buy Husqvarna oil place your order online or call or if you want to consult with an expert.
Oil standards for two stroke engines
There are 2 standards, according to which the two-stroke oil is made:
2T oils are used for the lubrication of air-cooled engines such as chain saws, power tillers, lawn mowers, power plants, etc. TC-W3 oils are for water-cooled engines, jet skis, etc. д.
All the presented oils differ in volume: the volume may not be more than 50 ml, sometimes oils are in bottles of up to 5 liters. The standard package of oil is 1 liter. To create a quality oil-fuel mixture.
You can buy oil for two-stroke engines at an attractive price in our store. You just need to call our toll-free number 8-800-333-83-28. An experienced manager will give you all the information you need on delivery times and costs.
A properly prepared fuel mixture is the key to effective work and long life of the engine. The composition burns up completely, leaves no carbon deposits and does not harm the working components. Our short instruction helps to understand the intricacies of the process of mixing oil with gasoline.
I have been using this oil in my gasoline trimmers for 5 years. Quality is satisfactory, no problems with the engine I have not z. Read completely
Normal oil. I saw/mow a little, so after the season there is still some left over. I do not need a liter. I’ve been to the pistons, but I didn’t see any carbon deposits. Read in full
It’s a good oil, all 2-stroke equipment uses it now. At 5 it starts to thicken in the can. I put it on the radiator to warm it up before I mix it.
Now on it works Hitachi lawnmower 25 cc (transferred from mineral, there were no problems), windblower. A vacuum cleaner, three chain saws (yes, that’s right I may be a chainsaw maniac, but each for a different job and load. Small single-arm 25 cc (transferred from mineral water and no problems) and heavy 58 cc light twin-arm (with the nozzle on the tire occasionally works as a rough brush cutter, and just branches it is not difficult to saw) and.