What to do if the lawn mower won’t start
How to start a lawn mower that doesn’t work?
Top Reasons Lawn Mower Not Starting — Lawn Mower Troubleshooting
- If the lawn mower you just bought won’t start
- The lawn mower stopped working after winter
- If the lawn mower stalls immediately after starting
- There is no spark when trying to start a lawn mower
- If the lawnmower does not start in a cold
- If the lawnmower does not want to run hot
On the farm, we need a lot of different tools. Anyone who has his own plot and house knows how much is required to maintain it in good and tidy condition. a lawn mower is one of those tools that owners quite often want to purchase, since it performs very important and necessary functions on a home site.
But, as with many things, various problems can happen with the lawn mower. One of the most common problems is the lawn mower won’t start. This can happen for various reasons, and in order to deal with this problem, you need to understand what is the vulnerable part in your case. An important aspect is also whether the lawn mower has started up before, or whether problems started to occur immediately after the purchase. In any case, you need to consider the common causes of problems, because it is very likely that you can even fix it yourself.
There is no spark when trying to start a lawn mower
The spark may disappear due to a malfunction of the spark plug, due to a malfunction of the contacts or wire, due to the displacement of the gap between the spark plug and the wire.
First you need to check the candle. To do this, you need to get it out of the lawn mower and attach a wire to it. This design is applied sideways to the casing of the motor and try to “start” the tool by pulling the starter. Watch carefully to see if a spark appears during these steps. If there is no sparking, then the fresh ignition is inoperative and must be replaced.
Checking the health of the wires is done in the same way, but with a new plug. While pulling on the starter, watch for a spark. If even with a new spark plug does not occur, then the fault is in the wiring or in the contacts. You need to buy new ones and make replacements.
If the lawnmower does not start in a cold
This problem is quite common and can be temporarily resolved with a small action plan. There is a possibility that you incorrectly start a cold engine. Here’s how to do it:
- when starting a lawn mower on a cold one, you do not need to immediately press the gas;
- tilt the tool so that the air filter is at the top;
- press the fuel suction about five or six times;
- after that, you can move the gear lever and set it to the “start” position;
- only then should you try to start the mower by pulling the starter a couple of times. It is necessary to pull quickly enough, without making too long a time interval between approaches;
- after the motor has started to run, wait about ten seconds for it to warm up. Next, you can and should disable the launch.
After performing these manipulations, the lawnmower should work normally.
If the lawn mower stalls immediately after starting
With such symptoms, several options for the development of events are possible.
First, you need to check if the valve that supplies air to the fuel tank has deteriorated. Quite often, this element becomes clogged, and this leads to the fact that a vacuum is created in the fuel tank. And this, in turn, entails another problem. the fuel ceases to flow into the carburetor and it simply does not have anything to work on. Because of this, what happens is that the lawn mower has the energy to start, but then stalls.
This problem can be corrected quite simply. you need to clean the air inlet valve to the tank. After that, the lawn mower starts up with the fuel tank cap slightly unscrewed. If all is well, then the problem has been resolved. But if the tool still does not work, then move on to the next possible reason.
The second problem in which the lawn mower starts and stalls is a malfunction or clogging of the fuel filter. First clean this filter, and then revise the parts in the carburetor so that there are no breakages.
If the lawnmower starts working even after cleaning the air filter, you must take it out and try to turn it on without it. If it starts, then you just need to change the filter for fuel.
Breakdown elimination methods
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be at least AI-92 gasoline and high-quality engine oil. The proportions for which the mixture is prepared are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual that comes with any gasoline trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. In this way, the easiest way is to maintain the appropriate proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting the lawn mowers, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a blockage is found, the easiest way is to replace the filter with a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with little time. You will need to do the following:
- remove the filter element;
- directly in working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- when operating a scythe at home or at a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- the cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions do not provide a positive result, then the next step is to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications and videos posted on the world wide web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems in question, there are several steps you can take.
- The trimmer is placed on the side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, lawn mowers’ owners find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the internal combustion engine does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching many years of practice. It is necessary to move the choke to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
Problems can arise with the starter itself. Often the cable breaks and the handle breaks. You can deal with such troubles on your own. In other cases, as a rule, the starter is replaced. It is worth noting that this device can be purchased assembled and installed by hand.
The spark plug can be flooded with fuel during the start of the trimmer ICE. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, starting the device is unlikely to work. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- turn off the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- remove the candle itself;
- inspect the dismantled part;
- make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- screw in a new, working plug and tighten it.
In practice, many repair work associated with the fact that the scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later one has to deal with during the operation of a household lawn mower, it is quite possible to cope independently. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the cost of repairs to the price of a new trimmer.
Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
- Diagnostic features
- Main reasons
- Breakdown elimination methods
- Recommendations for use
Taking into account the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the most common troubles is that the lawn mower will not start or gain momentum. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the relevant instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
One of the most common causes of such symptoms is a long seasonal break in the operation of equipment. In addition, poor quality and untimely maintenance can lead to extremely negative consequences. It is important to remember that this is true both for Chinese lawn mowers and for representatives of the lineup of famous brands.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnostics of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mower does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repairs. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations when the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle at the next start-up attempt;
- completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate gap;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there will be nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often, the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all on a cold one due to the clogged air filter. You can identify this malfunction by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users are strongly advised to periodically purge the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also not start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, which is provided by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and finding the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust port and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several of the most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mower owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of the equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the internal combustion engine of the lawn mower may stall due to the fact that it floods the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops getting hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
In addition to all of the above, trimmer owners have to face more serious troubles. One of these is the wear of the piston group. In such cases, entrust to professionals, which will significantly reduce costs and extend the life of the tool.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any lawn mowers and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- in the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to promptly and efficiently clean the channels located on the spit body and starter ribs;
- in the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- these works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- it is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- all fuel residues in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the streamer; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- after removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be removed from the internal combustion engine in full.
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- completely disassemble the trimmer;
- thoroughly rinse and clean all elements to which there is access;
- inspect the parts of the lawn mowers in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found in this case should be eliminated);
- pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- having the appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to perform partial disassembly of the power plant, followed by purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- wrap the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- remove the candle;
- transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with the help of the starter;
- pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
It is important to remember that competent operation of lawn mowers and its timely maintenance (independent or in service) is a guarantee of the longest possible service life and minimum costs.
Next, watch a video on how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
the lawn mower will not start, the spark has disappeared
The loss of a spark entails checking the contacts and the correctness of the gap between them, the conducting wires to the candle and the candle itself.
The way to check the spark is to unscrew the candle, connect a wire to it, put the candle sideways to the motor casing and pull the starter several times as if starting the lawn mower, while you need to look at the coal and the contact of the candle, a spark should run between them.
If there is no spark, take a new candle, follow the same procedure, if the spark cannot be traced, then there is a problem in the wire or contacts, it is better to replace them.
the lawn mower starts up and stalls. What to do?
There is a spark, and everything seems to be normal, but the lawn mower will not start, in such cases, you should check the air inlet valve to the fuel tank. A clogged valve leads to the creation of a vacuum in the tank, in which the carburetor does not receive enough gasoline, so the lawn mower will start, but then stall. To exclude this reason, you need to clean the valve and try to start the lawn mower with the tank cap not completely twisted.
2. If this does not start the mower, remove and clean the fuel filter and check all carburetor parts and then try to start. The lawn mower does not start again, the air filter is disconnected, try to start without it, if the mower starts up, the reason is in the air filter, replace it.
the lawn mower will not start on a cold
When starting a cold engine, it is not recommended to press the gas. Tilting the mower so that the air filter is on top, press the fuel suction button 5-6 times, set the function switch lever to the “start” position, pull the starter cord several times until the engine starts. After a few seconds of running the motor, turn off the starting system.
The lawn mower will not start or will start but stalls. What is the reason?
To understand this, you need to know the principle of operation of the unit as a whole. It also happens that, just bought, a new saw does not start, and it starts running around the service centers, in such cases it is recommended:
Causes of malfunctioning lawn mowers:
the quality of the gasoline is poor;
incorrect proportion of gasoline and oil;
clogging of the fine filter;
the spark was gone.
the lawn mower won’t start after winter
In such cases, the unit must be serviced. Remove the fuel system, including filters (air, fuel), disassemble the carburetor, clean and rinse each unit. Blow out the filters with air. Pay attention to fuel quality and octane number.
It should be borne in mind that products of such well-known companies as STIHL, Husgvarna and other brands will not run on cheap, low-octane gasoline.
Suitable fuel for them is from the AI brand. 92 and higher from car gas stations and then from well-recommended ones, since there is also bad gasoline at gas stations. The use of high-octane and high-quality gasoline will determine how long the lawn mower will be used and how long it will last.
It is necessary to take into account one more fact that when the diluted fuel mixture is stored for a long time, its working qualities fall, which also leads to consequences in which the lawn mower does not start. Therefore, it should be diluted in portions, that is, the amount of the mixture that is produced at a time.
The operating instructions clearly describe and explain the mixing ratio of gasoline and oil. Strict observance of the correct proportions will at least save you from several questions, why the lawn mower does not start and what to do in such cases.
the lawn mower will not start when hot
If the lawn mower was recently in operation and has not yet had time to cool down but does not want to start, press the gas trigger, pull the starter cord sharply several times until the engine starts and only then the gas trigger is released. If enough time has passed and the lawn mower has cooled down, then it should be started as if it was cold.
If the above methods did not help, the lawn mower did not start, then you should contact the service center.
- About the service center
- Serviced brands
- Diagnostics and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized service center “Agrotechservice”. comprehensive warranty and post-warranty maintenance of garden and municipal equipment from world manufacturers! We sell spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!
Why doesn’t the lawnmower start hot?
Why doesn’t the lawnmower start hot?
It often happens that the lawn mower does not start when hot. In this regard, the question “why?” Is quite logical. Mostly, the cause of such a malfunction can be associated with the following technical components of the tool:
- Fuel tank.
- Exhaust channel.
- Trimmer starter.
One of the common breakdowns that lead to the fact that the petrol trimmer does not start hot is the presence of a blockage in the area of the air filter. Improper preparation of the fuel mixture, as well as its quality, also become the initiators of a failure in the operation of the unit. Often the reason a 4-stroke lawnmower doesn’t want to start is if the candle channel is too wet.
The stable operation of the tool can also be impaired due to the accumulation of dirt in the exhaust channel or the accumulation of large amounts of debris on the muffler mesh.
The petrol trimmer will not start. floods the candle / candle is always wet
Among the many reasons for which the trimmer will not start, it is the filled spark plugs that are considered the most common. According to statistics, every second owner of a tool faces a similar problem. In most cases, the candle is always wet for the following reasons:
- Accumulation of large amounts of carbon deposits on the component.
- Incorrect installation of the spare part.
- Excessive supply of fuel mixture by injectors to the combustion chamber.
When the gasoline trimmer does not start due to the fact that the candle is constantly being poured, the user needs to eliminate excess fuel mixture, thoroughly clean all the components involved in this process, and then blow out the candle, giving time for everything to dry.
Regardless of whether you own a budget-friendly Chinese-made gasoline tool or use expensive models from a brand such as Husqvarna, cleaning the lawn mower plug is carried out in the following sequence:
- Turn the tool over, and run the starter until the excess fuel mixture is completely discharged.
- Dismantle, blow out and clean the candle, leaving it to dry for 40 minutes.
- A completely dry spare part is put back.
- An attempt to launch the tool, moreover, on a hot.
By following the above steps, you will be able to effectively troubleshoot faults caused by flooding the candle.
Lawnmower won’t start after winter: reasons and solutions
Many owners of modern models of gasoline-powered tools are faced with such a problem as the complete lack of functionality of the unit after wintering. If the lawn mower does not start, the first step is to perform a comprehensive maintenance on the petrol trimmer. To do this, you need to remove the fuel system and disassemble the carburetor of the lawn mowers, thoroughly cleaning, rinsing and blowing air through each unit.
It should be noted that after winter, as a result of long-term storage, the diluted fuel mixture loses its basic characteristics, which also leads to the impossibility of starting the lawn mowers. The use of an updated fuel composition, in this case, eliminates the problem.
A typical malfunction is the absence of a spark, as a result of which it is necessary to check the contacts and the correctness of the gap between them. When there is a spark, but the tool still does not want to function, the valve, which is responsible for air entering the fuel tank, should be inspected. If it becomes clogged, cleaning is required. The reason that the lawn mower does not start may be hidden in the fuel filter, which must be cleaned and the unit must be restarted.
When you start the mower on a cold one, do not step on the gas. Tilt the tool so that the air filter is in the correct position and press the fuel suction button several times, fixing the options switch lever to the “start” position. Then pull the starter cord 6-7 times until the engine starts to function, after which, after waiting 5-8 seconds, turn off the starting system.
Today, there are many video clips on the Internet, in which the main causes of malfunctions of various models of lawn mowers after winter are considered in detail and the correct ways to eliminate them are proposed.
What to do if the petrol trimmer won’t start
A long seasonal break in work, violation of storage rules and non-compliance with operating standards, lack of regular maintenance lead to the fact that the petrol trimmer does not start. In this case, the first step is to make sure that the fuel mixture is available and its quality.
For petrol trimmers from manufacturers such as Stihl or Husqvarna, prepare the oil / fuel mixture as indicated using the appropriate brand of oil. After making sure the fuel mixture is flawless but the tool still won’t start, check for a spark, which can often be missing from a flooded spark plug. If the spark plug is dry, the connection is of good quality, but there is no spark, most likely the ignition unit is out of order.
What if the above points are in order, but the Sturm lawn mower or Stihl petrol trimmer does not start? It is necessary to diagnose the gasoline and fuel filter, as well as carefully examine the carburetor for the likelihood of piston group wear.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gasoline streamer, check the presence and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and “do not be clever” in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). Prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its amount based on real needs. Excess gasoline left over after work loses its quality over time.
complex reasons for lawn mowers failure
If the step-by-step troubleshooting algorithm does not work, and your scythe still does not start or stalls, it is worth inspecting the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for erratic tool performance. There are three main problems here:
- Clogged ducts or nozzles. All this is cleaned by special washes or blown by a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wires, as the bore may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Exit. replacement of a failed gasket;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing it with a suitable pressure gauge. Watch the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, but if the pressure starts to drop, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the gasoline trimmer may not start due to wear of the piston group. If chips, scratches or scuffs are found on the piston or cylinder, they should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory checks. A small backlash of the piston when rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. It is best to entrust this procedure to the specialists of the service center.
Why the lawn mower won’t start. troubleshooting
Caring for the personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the lawn mower does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. To correctly diagnose the problem, the owner of a useful unit in the country needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- How to start diagnosing lawn mowers
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We carry out diagnostics of the candle and candle channel
- Filter diagnostics for lawn mowers
- Breather and exhaust port
- complex reasons for lawn mowers failure
- Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
Breather and exhaust port
Often, “gentle” branded lawn mowers will not start and stall due to a dirty breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. When this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents the supply of fuel. You can eliminate the malfunction by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of streamers with internal combustion engines can be disrupted due to the ingress of dirt into the exhaust duct or clogging of the muffler mesh. There is such a problem on older generation models. The issue can be resolved by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark grid.
Filter diagnostics for lawn mowers
Another reason why the gasoline scythe stalls is the air filter. To eliminate it, try removing the filter and starting the trimmer without it. If it works out, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow through and thoroughly clean the old one.
The petrol trimmer may not start if the fuel filter is dirty. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction inlet without a filter at all, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can turn into repair of the engine piston group.
We carry out diagnostics of the candle and candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the lawn mower stalls when started, then a flooded candle may be the cause. Here, for repairs, an ordinary candle wrench is suitable (every motorist probably has) and a spare candle.
- We unscrew the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not ignite);
- We drain the excess fuel in the chamber through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- We clean the old candle from carbon deposits using a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We put everything back in place and try to start the trimmer.
It is necessary to dry the canal for at least 30–40 minutes. Otherwise, there is a risk of re-filling and a new candle.
If the candle is working, the socket where it is located is completely dry, and the lawn mower does not want to start, lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp. No matter how wonderful spark the candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a reason such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be ruled out. If the connection is of good quality, and there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here it will not be possible to do without a master, since the part is not repaired, but is sold as a single unit.
How to start diagnosing lawn mowers
If the lawn mower does not start or immediately stalls after starting, it is necessary to sequentially check all the main components and assemblies. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be eliminated after a thorough inspection.
Why the chainsaw stalls at idle
There are situations when even the newest chainsaw stalls at idle. This situation is associated with the factory settings of the carburetor or their absence. It happens that with a long transport
How to choose the right chainsaw chain
You need to be prepared for the choice of a chain for a saw, because it is important not only that the cutting tackle theoretically resembles, but also be correctly selected in the context of future work. How to choose a chain for
How to choose a file for a chainsaw chain
To sharpen the saw chain quickly, efficiently and inexpensively yourself, you need to use a special sharpening. Working with such a tool implies knowledge and understanding of the principle itself, a little
How to cut a log with a chainsaw
How to cut a log with a chainsaw is known to most of the villagers and summer residents, the inhabitants of country houses. Most, but not all. It happens that you have to carry out different tool maneuvers
Running in a new chainsaw: rules and features
Running in a new chainsaw is a mandatory procedure for individual parts of the tool and for the mechanism as a whole. This process is also important for the operator who first picks up the machine and for
Why the lawn mower or lawn mower won’t start. causes
The use of gasoline scythes is widespread and relevant today, since having good power and productivity, these tools help a person to cope with the surrounding vegetation: grass,
How to lubricate a petrol trimmer with your own hands
The design of a lawn mower, like any tool consisting of moving parts, requires a special lubricant between them to avoid friction and wear.
Lawn Mower Won’t Start. How to fix it in minutes, for free.
“Top chainsaws”, as one of the most popular queries on the web, regarding the rating of not only popular, but also adapted tools that can adapt to all functional nuances, act
Many potential buyers, before getting even the simplest gasoline scythe, want to know the current rating of gasoline trimmers. Some are interested in the newest samples, others.
What to do if the lawn mower won’t start
Petrol trimmer won’t start. What to do?
Sometimes a trimmer or lawn mower stops starting at the most inopportune moment, disrupting planned work at a summer cottage or suburban area. Before contacting a service workshop, you can sometimes try to eliminate the cause of the malfunction yourself.
Let’s take a Husqvarna 128 R trimmer as an example. So, you did everything according to the instructions. with a primer (see Figure 1) pumped fuel into the carburetor, the throttle lever was moved to the “closed” position, you try to start, but the engine does not even “grab”. Moving the throttle (air) valve lever (see Figure 2) to the “Open” position does not give any result. Trimmer will not start.
Figure 1- Primer (booster pump)
Figure 2-Lawn mowers device: throttle (air) damper, manual starter
One of the most common reasons is excessive priming of fuel, leading to a “flood” of the spark plug. In this case, try to do the following: move the throttle lever to the “open” position, press and hold the throttle trigger while trying to start the trimmer. If after 5-6 attempts to start the trimmer failed, turn out and dry the candle. Check for spark plug between electrodes. To do this, put the spark plug cap on the spark plug, attach the spark plug body to the metal surface of the cylinder and crank the engine with a starter. If there is no spark between the electrodes. replace the spark plug. Before screwing in the spark plug, turn the trimmer with the spark plug hole down and crank the engine 2-3 times with the starter to remove the remaining fuel from the cylinder. Wrap the candle and repeat the steps described at the beginning of the paragraph.
If, after the performed manipulations, the trimmer does not start, then most likely the cause of the malfunction is more serious and you need to contact the specialists of the service workshop. Read more here.
What to do if your petrol lawnmower won’t start?
The most important point when using any equipment is to comply with the basic rules of operation and its timely maintenance. This approach will ensure that your petrol lawn mower is working properly and for a long time. Still, sometimes unforeseen situations happen, and the device for some reason does not want to start. In our article we will tell you about the possible causes and ways to fix this problem.
Faults that you can fix yourself
When your petrol lawnmower won’t start. first of all, it is necessary to check the presence of fuel in the tank. If it is missing. top up to the desired level. Often, when the device is not used for a long time, gasoline “runs out”, so it must be completely drained and refilled with new. This procedure must be done carefully so that fuel does not get on the engine, as this can lead to ignition in the future (when the engine heats up). Which gasoline is better to use, you can find out from the technical passport of the device.
In order for the unit to start, you need to pump fuel with a primer (if available in this model) into the carburetor and set the maximum speed. You need to start the technique carefully. The starter cord must be smoothly pulled out until it stops, then pull it towards you with one even sharp movement.
A problem can occur if the air damper is not correctly positioned during the first start. Depending on the air temperature, it is completely closed or set to the middle position (above 30 C). Then it must be fully opened.
Check the air filter for dirt. To do this, turn off the machine and disconnect the wire from the spark plug. Unscrew the cover and remove the filter. Rinse it with gasoline and dry it thoroughly, or simply replace it with a new one. Remember that it is recommended to change the air filter after every 25 hours of operation.
Another reason your petrol lawnmower won’t start could be a faulty spark plug. Perhaps she was just flooded with fuel. In this case, unscrew it, clean it and check for a spark. It may not be present when the spark plug is filled with fuel. Place choke control handle (if equipped) in the CLOSED position and start the engine. If this does not help, it is better to seek help from a specialist.
Try to constantly inspect the bottom of the machine, as any damage to it may cause the engine to stall.
If your petrol lawn mower started up normally but stopped working almost immediately, it is likely that the crankshaft or piston is stuck. Another reason may be an insufficient amount of oil in the crankcase. We recommend that you manually move these parts and check the oil level with a special dipstick, you may be able to correct this problem.
However, remember that the replacement and repair of all faulty components and elements should be entrusted to professionals from authorized service centers. Never do it yourself.
If you want to talk to a specialist and get advice on the issue that has arisen, call us by phone: 7 (495) 135-29-39 every day from 10.00 to 20.00. We will provide all the information you need.
Lawn Mowers Start Types
What needs to be done first? Press the throttle lock and trigger trigger to set the throttle to the start position. Then we press the start button. Let go of the throttle lock, throttle trigger and start button. Thus, we have activated the throttling function. To return the engine to idle speed, you must press the throttle lock and the throttle trigger again.
Cold start lawn mowers
Please note that the throttle trigger must not be pulled before the engine starts and starts running.
- We place the tool on a flat surface and slowly press the fuel pumping button up to 10 times, the number may vary depending on the model.
- Then we set the lever of the start system switch to the “START” position.
- Pull the starter cord sharply until the engine starts.
- Run the power pack for 5-10 seconds and then pull the throttle trigger to disengage the starting system.
Starting a warm engine lawn mowers
- Hold the throttle trigger pressed and do not release until the engine runs evenly.
- We sharply pull on the starter cord and wait until the power unit starts. The trigger in this case must be pressed.
- A warm engine is started within 10 minutes after it has stopped. If more time has passed, then use the instructions for turning on the cold unit.
Starting the engine with a flooded spark plug
In this case, the power unit can be started by placing the starting system lever in the RUN position, the throttle trigger must be pressed down. Then we pull the starter handle as many times as it takes to start the engine. If the power unit does not start for a long time, it is worth contacting the service center for help.
What to do if your lawn mower won’t start?
There are several reasons why the lawn mower may not start: low-quality fuel, malfunction of a part, or prolonged downtime. Sometimes problems even arise with a new, just purchased instrument. So that you do not waste time and money on visiting the service department, we advise:
- firstly, familiarize yourself with the operation manual in detail, where the process of starting the lawn mowers is step by step;
- secondly, to inspect the product, it may be necessary to repair any part;
- thirdly, if the first 2 tips did not help, study the reasons why the lawn mower does not start, and the ways to eliminate them that we offer.
The most common reasons a lawn mower won’t start
- Poor quality fuel. What gasoline do you use for your scythe? STIHL and Husqvarna tools will not run on cheap fuel, they need at least 92 gallon fuel from a reputable gas station. It is not worth saving on gasoline, since the repair of the cylinder-piston group can be a third of the cost of the tool itself.
When preparing the fuel mixture, observe the proportions of fuel and oil, which are indicated in the operating manual. Please note that gasoline mixed with oil will lose its properties over time, so it must be used within two weeks. Always keep the fuel mixture fresh.!
- Fuel filter in the tank. If the mower does not start, be sure to check the condition of the part. Please note that the inlet must not be left without a filter.
- Have you checked everything you can and still won’t start the mower? You may have forgotten about the air filter. It must be removed, and then try to run the tool without it. Starts up? This means that you need to clean the old or install a new filter.
What’s the easiest way to start a lawn mower? To do this, you need to know a few tricks.
If your lawn mower starts, but does not do it as easily as we would like, we suggest using the following tips:
- Lay the instrument on its side with the air filter at the top. What will it give? The fuel mixture will flow exactly to the bottom of the carburetor. You can also remove the air filter and pour a couple of drops of the mixture into the carburetor and then reinstall all the parts. The tool will start on the first try!
- Perhaps the problem is in the candle, and then, unfortunately, the previous method will not help. But there is another! Unscrew the spark plug, check it for proper operation and dry the combustion chamber. If the part shows no signs of life, replace it with a new one.
- A universal tip to help you start both your lawn mower and your saw with a snow blower. But it works if the spark plug is in good working order, the fuel mixture is fresh, the air and fuel filters are clean. So, close the carburetor flap and perform one movement with the starter. Next, open the flap and pull the starter again 2-3 times. We repeat the procedure, after 3-5 cycles the engine will start to start.