What to do if the trimmer stalls when pressed
- Diagnostic Features
- Main reasons
- When opening the choke
- Troubleshooting Methods
- Operation tips
Lawn mowers and gasoline trimmers – machines that perform not just mowing grass, but mowing it up to several times more than their counterparts with an electric motor. Once the lawn mowing or petrol trimmer stalls for a while, and the course of mowing the grass is immediately inhibited.
A well-posed question is already half the answer. It will significantly speed up the search for a solution to the fact – under what circumstances a gas trimmer or lawn mower stalls, namely:
- Immediately after the start;
- When working idle for some time – after one or several minutes;
- By pressing the gas button (or knob) – or shortly after starting work at high, near-maximum speed;
- Under heavy load (for example, to cut bushes, mow thick and tall weeds);
- When warming up in the cold – it heats up excessively (the lawn mower stalled due to overheating);
- After opening the air damper.
The following reasons are possible: on which the lawn mowing or trimmer stalls when trying to re-start and continue the interrupted work:
- Engine malfunctions;
- Failure in the supply system of gasoline and oil;
- Damage to pipelines (capillaries, hoses, pipes);
- Malfunctions in the ignition system.
A general description of problems with a scythe or trimmer is not enough here. A clear and immediate repair, high-quality service is impossible without specifying the identified causes.
You press the gas – and the trimmer stops working, does not develop speed. The following suggested causes are possible:
- The carburetor setting is lost, which appears with an increasing load on the drive itself – after its long idle time or when working in extreme conditions;
- Fuel valve clogged with deposits;
- The carburetor cable is weakened and sagged;
- Excessively stretched, possibly, and torn fuel hose;
- The check valve (breather) clogged up with deposits – fuel does not enter the fuel tank.
With increasing speed
If the lawn mowing (or trimmer) stalled when adding engine speed – Check the device for the following symptoms:
- Clogging or sticking of the valve built into the gas tank cap;
- Violation of valve adjustment;
- Failure of pistons and cylinders due to vibration during the operation of the scythe or trimmer, accidental impacts directly in the grass mowing session;
- Violation of the air-fuel mixture;
- Excessive pumping of air into the motor;
- Cracking of the fuel intake hose, loosening of its connections.
When the air-fuel mixture is supplied in the right portions to the engine in an untimely manner – it burns the amount that has arrived since the last stall, and it stalls again.
Running a trimmer or lawn mowing at idle, you find that the device starts up – but stalls after working for, say, 5-10 minutes. The reasons here may be as follows:
- Blockage, violation of carburetor adjustment;
- Initially incorrect adjustment of the valve mechanism of the carburetor;
- Clogging of the air filter;
- Reduction in the speed of the gearbox (if any) – the wrong ratio of the air-fuel mixture;
- Throttle clogging;
- Penetration of excess air into the fuel system;
- Fuel in the tank runs out (and oil in the tank if the engine is four-stroke).
If there are problems directly with the carburetor, the machine will stop both after a cold start and after starting on an engine that has already worked.
Right after the start
Mowing grass or trimmer immediately after the start is due to the following reasons:
- Imbalance of previously adjusted valves;
- Initially incorrect valve mechanism setting;
- Clogging by deposits of the fuel supply valve;
- The hose is worn or loose.
Due to the violated algorithm of fuel injection, the lawn mowing or trimmer vibrate violently in operation.
In the process of warming up the engine
If the engine heats up too quickly, overheats – the lawn mowing or trimmer does not work as if in jerks. After which it stalls. The reason may be as follows:
- Boiling gasoline;
- The ignition wire is damaged (poor insulation);
- The coil in the ignition system noticeably burned out, inter-turn faults appeared.
The same heating is observed when using a rotor (but not disk) gate.
When opening the choke
Lawn mowing or trimmer stalls when raising the damper for the following reasons:
- Pumping up excess air due to a cracked fuel suction hose;
- Oil seals are worn;
- Improper functioning of the fuel and air dispenser when mixing them.
Stopping the lawn mowing in this case is immediate.
By carburetor possible following works:
- Cleaning and adjusting the fuel supply valve;
- Similar operation with a valve that exhausts gases and vapors (after burning fuel);
- Replacing a weaker spring on the inlet valve;
- Restoration of tension of a carburetor cable;
- Replacing the fuel suction hose, checking and strengthening the loose connection;
- Change of a rotary shutter disk ;.
- Replacement of a faulty wire or ignition coil.
It’s worth paying attention to a few recommendations for working with a lawn mowing or trimmer, extending the life of the device up to several times.
Video: What to do if the trimmer stalls when pressed
- As soon as you notice that the lawn mowing or trimmer is vibrating – immediately stop working and check the serviceability, performance of specific parts.
- Adjust the valves and check the operation of the pistons and cylinders, clean and change the nozzles, based on the requirements set forth in the user manual and recommendations of the service center wizards.
- When air bubbles get into the system due to a broken fuel hose, apply gas. When gasoline with higher engine speeds is burned, gas bubbles will become smaller. But this is a temporary measure. Disassemble the unit as soon as possible and eliminate the cause of the suction of excess air.
- Do not operate the unit in cold weather without warming the engine – it can often stall under load. The effect here is the same as in the case when the driver at 40 started the car and immediately drove off without waiting for the engine to warm up.
- Do not leave the machine on the roadway. In the event of an accident, impact, it will immediately break, and this will make the purchase of a new unit a necessary measure. A car crashing into it will at best receive damage to the body and bumper.
- Avoid working with lawn mowers or rain trimmers. In the worst case, ingress of water with air can cause the engine to explode. Similar situations arose with cars.
- Do not use unchecked motor oils and greases. The mower warms up the engine more than the car itself would do – if the oil overheats, the oil will lose its lubricating properties. It will turn into a burnt out reagent – sticky, excessively viscous and viscous, like fuel oil. He will immediately stall (and shut off) the motor.
- If the oil is old, previously drained from the tank of the machine or another (or the same) lawn mower (on a 4-stroke engine) – defend it, filter to clean it of dirt and metal. But at the earliest opportunity, get fresh engine oil.
- If the engine is two-stroke – observe the ratio of gasoline to oil. For compounds with mineral oils, this is approximately 34: 1, for semi-synthetics – 42: 1, for purely synthetic – 50: 1. Do not violate these proportions: “oiled” gasoline will not burn out and will quickly clog the engine, “unoiled” will accelerate the wear of its moving parts.
- According to viscosity, oils with marking are classified as winter classes: SAE-0W / 5W / 10W / 15W / 20W / 25W. For the summer – SAE-20/30/40/50/60. For example, SAE 10W-40 is already multigrade oil (when the mower is in operation from spring to autumn inclusive). Be sure to check with the manufacturer exactly which oil is needed.
- Always use high-quality gasoline that has passed all stages of purification from the manufacturer.
- The recommended octane rating of gasoline is AI-92/95/98. The use of the 76th can lead to a lack of engine power, frequent stalling if you fill, for example, the 76th or 80th gasoline.
- If you are not sure about the independent solution to the problems with the lawn mower (which does not pick up speed and often stalls), call the wizard or contact the service center for the repair of motorcycle and garden equipment. Specialists are not used to doing this work for you.
Observing all these precautions, you will present your mower with long years of fruitful work, and yourself – the luxury of well-groomed lawns, comfort and convenience when mowing unnecessary vegetation on your site.
For the reasons why the lawn mower stalls when you press the gas, see the next video.
A spit that has a gasoline drive is a useful thing for owners of personal plots, lawns, and when the trimmer suddenly stalls, the work to clean the area from grass stops. The device itself is a rather complex mechanism, so there are many different reasons for its breakdowns. The most common problems are contained in the instruction manual. To know the reasons why the trimmer stalls, you should be able to effectively repair the device yourself.
What could break
Problems with the lawn mowing due to the fact that this device does not start are classified in a certain way by service technicians. They highlight malfunctions with the following nodes of the mechanism:
- An engine in which the piston and bearings may wear out or fail, crack the crankcase;
- Fuel supply system, while it is possible clogging the filter or problems with the carburetor;
- Mechanical damage to wires, tubes, hoses;
- Ignition circuit.
When you press the gas
If the lawn mowing stops when you press the gas, then the reasons may be as follows.
- The most common option is carb adjustment failure, which occurs with significant loads on the drive, after prolonged inactivity of the mechanism or when it is used in difficult conditions.
- Fuel valve clogging, which eliminate it by relaxation, as a result of which gasoline starts to flow normally through the system.
- Loosening and drooping of the cable in the carburetor. May also occur fuel hose extension up to its rupture caused by the action of a significant load.
- Clogged breather (check valve), as a result of which fuel does not enter the tank.
If the problem is related to the carburetor assembly, then it can be recognized by the appearance of vibrations of the lawn mowers.. When the hose bursts or the cable is stretched, these components are replaced.
At high speeds
When the braid stalls at high speeds, this is due to the following problems:
- Clogging or sticking of the valve located on the gas tank cover;
- The carburetor is out of alignment under the influence of vibrations arising from the operation of the mechanism;
- Problems with the circulation of the fuel mixture;
- Air leaks;
- Fuel intake hose is cracked or loose.
Carburetor adjust, Based on the operating instructions for the trimmer. To adjust, it is often enough to loosen the tightening of its body. If there are problematic moments with the circulation of the fuel mixture, then it can gradually enter the carburetor. After its development, the engine stalls at high speeds.
At idle, common causes of trimmer stopping are the following:
- Contamination, misregistration or improperly adjusted carburetor adjustment;
- Clogged air filter;
Replacing the Lawn Mowers Air Filter
Trimmer air filter
- Reducing the speed of the gearbox when it is heated, which is a consequence of the use of an unsuitable fuel mixture;
- Throttle clogging;
- Air entering the system;
- Not enough fuel for lawn mowing.
Right after wound up
The unit may stall immediately after start-up, if the carburettor is misregulated or has been incorrectly configured, this causes uneven fuel supply. The result of this is that the device begins to vibrate distinctly. To troubleshoot, the carburetor is reconfigured according to the instructions for the mechanism.
Also the engine stops when it happens valve clogging, supplying fuel. In such cases, it is simple enough to clean it. If the lawn mower first worked, but then immediately died out, then perhaps the fuel enters the carburetor assembly with some difficulty. The easing of the valve helps to solve the problem, which ensures free circulation of the mixture in the system.
A stop can also be called. Air suction in the presence of mechanical damage to the hose (holes, cracks) producing fuel. In this case, add revolutions to the drive in order to quickly expel air bubbles from the system.
Lawn mowing often stops when heated. At the same time, it starts, works “jerkily” and gradually stops. This process occurs when gas in the carburetor boils or a shutter in it is installed rotary, and not disk type. In the latter case, the item is changed.
It happens that the trimmer heats up if ignition wire damaged either a coil. In order for the device to start working normally, replace parts.
When opening the choke
It happens that the unit stalls when the air damper is opened, normally idling. This is due to air leaks in the system caused by the presence of fuel hose cracks or problems with oil seals. Also, the carburetor dosing system may malfunction, while the lawn mowing will stop after opening the damper.
Carburetor fuel hose
All possible reasons that the lawn mower stalls, and methods for their elimination are contained in the next video
There are many reasons for stopping the lawn mowing, but the most common problems in operation are related to its carburetor. They can occur in any cases. The most problematic option is when a serious breakdown occurs, and you will need to purchase new parts or change the lawn mower.