What You Can Do From An Engine From An Angle Grinder
Angle grinder is an indispensable tool for carrying out construction work with various materials. It is also good because additional devices (nozzles, discs) can be attached to it and / or converted with little effort into another highly specialized tool. for example, into a milling cutter. Of course, the original industrially manufactured tool will in many ways surpass such homemade work, but for domestic needs it will be enough.
Materials and Tools
In order to make a milling cutter on the basis of an angle grinder, You will need the following tools and materials:
- Angle grinder in working condition, the absence of any defects or malfunctions is mandatory;
- welding machine (if you intend to use metal);
- screwdriver / screwdriver;
- electric drill;
- building level;
- ruler (tape measure) and pencil;
- a sheet of plywood or chipboard 1 cm thick or a sheet of metal about 3 mm thick;
- jigsaw or saws for working with wood / metal;
- metal corners or bars of dense wood (5x5cm);
- a set of hex keys;
- file, coarse and fine-grained sandpaper.
To get started, decide which milling tool you need. stationary or manual. Both that and the other option has its own characteristics during assembly and operation.
If you need a stationary milling machine, consider when designing it that its capabilities will depend on the power and speed of rotation (number of revolutions) of the motor, an angle grinder, as well as the area of the work table (workbench). A small angle grinder with a motor power of 500 watts is enough for processing parts from wood of fragile wood of small size. If the milling cutter has to work with metal blanks, the power of the angle grinder should be at least 1100 watts.
The design of the milling cutter consists of such elements as:
- stable base;
- movable / fixed tabletop with lined rails;
- drive unit.
Lamellar milling machines differ not in vertical but in horizontal arrangement of the working cutter. There are 2 options for designing a homemade milling machine:
- motionless table. a moving tool;
- movable worktop. fixed tool.
In the first case, for horizontal processing of a part, the procedure is as follows:
- fix the angle grinder to the plate vertically (the nozzle-mill is horizontal);
- guides for moving the plate with the tool are installed around the table;
- the workpiece is fixed on the work surface.
Thus, the processing of a fixed part is carried out by a movable tool. In the second case, you need to ensure the immobility of the angle grinder and the mobility of the working surface. To move the countertop underneath it is constructed from guides with the possibility of fixing the position of the working surface. The angle grinder, in turn, is mounted on a vertical bed on the side of the workbench. When a machine with a vertically located working nozzle is required, the procedure is as follows:
Видео: What You Can Do From An Engine From An Angle Grinder
- assemble a frame from timber or corners, ensuring that they are rigidly attached to each other (by welding or fasteners);
- attach a sheet of chipboard or plywood to the frame;
- make a hole for the angle grinder shaft. the diameter of the recess should exceed the corresponding index of the shaft cross section;
- fasten the tool inside the frame. using clamps or punched tapes on bolts;
- on the working surface of the table, build guides (from rails, planks, etc.) to move the part;
- sand and paint all surfaces;
- The tool switch toggle for comfortable use can be fixed.
All caps of self-tapping screws (bolts, screws) must be recessed and not protrude above the surface of the work area. Keep in mind that the guide rails must be removable, different workpieces require different locations. It is most convenient to fix them with self-tapping screws. The tool should be located conveniently and accessible for quick replacement of the working nozzle (milling cutter, disk, etc.).
For the full use of any home-made milling machine, you need to purchase milling cutters. additional nozzles for the angle grinder in the form of cutting discs or key nozzles. If the first ones easily replace the grinding disc with an angle grinder and are quietly fixed on the shaft with a clamping nut, then for the second type of nozzles you will need an adapter.
The easiest option is to remake the angle grinder into a manual milling machine. Please note that in this case, reliable fixing of the workpiece is necessary. with a vise or clamps in order to exclude the possibility of vibration or shear of the workpiece. There are several ways to convert an angle grinder into a manual milling cutter. Here is one of them.
First, make the base of the tool according to the drawings. An ideal option would be a base of a metal sheet of sufficient thickness and weight, because the mass of the base directly affects the stability of the device. Then make a fixing plate. a bracket to hold the angle grinder. The material is the same as at the base. You need to make a hole for the back of the tool, the one where the handle is. Cut the blanks to the shape you want.
Weld pieces of square pipes to the ends of the product. to move along vertically arranged guides. The guides will be longer sections of square tubes, but with a smaller diameter. They need to be welded to the base. To increase the reliability of fixing the tool, you can make and weld a kind of "ears" from a metal sheet. To fix the tool at the desired height, you need to mount. You can weld 2 nuts, wrap threaded rods in them, onto which wing nuts are mounted by welding. With the help of such a device, you can easily and quickly change and fix the required position of the tool.
Now you need to install the drill chuck as an adapter for the working nozzle-cutter. Pre-cut the thread inside it corresponding to the angle grinder shaft. Then screw it onto the shaft and fix the necessary cutter in it. Assemble the typewriter. Lock it in the bracket.
Test her work. If there is no excess vibration or uncontrolled shifts during operation, everything is in order. Otherwise, you need to check where the inaccuracy came from and eliminate it.
When performing milling work on wood do not forget to follow simple rules:
- correspondence of the nozzle on the angle grinder to the processed material;
- removal of the protective housing is not allowed;
- set the speed of the angle grinder to a minimum;
- really appreciate your strength. a large angle grinder can easily be pulled out of your hands;
- work in protective gloves or firmly fix the tool;
- pre-check the uniformity of the workpiece. if there are any extraneous metal parts;
- work should be carried out in one plane, distortions are unacceptable;
- Do not block the button in operating mode;
- Before replacing the nozzle / disc, be sure to turn off the power to the power tool.
See how to make a milling cutter from an angle grinder.
All rights reserved, 14
The use of any materials without our prior written consent is prohibited.